Using Windows 10 on eMMC

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Using Windows 10 on eMMC

Unread postby OverSun » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:20 pm

I don't know who would benefit from that, but if you, as I, have no free SSD drive, no free NVMe drive for sure, but a pile of eMMC cards all over the place from all other Odroids, plus you think that Odroid-H2 is a perfect box to spawn windows to, for the only Windows program you have and is sooooooo bored run VirtualBox for (and keep 30G .vdi image for).
First thing I thought would be great to do with H2 is to finally run Windows on it for the only windows program I have and forget VirtualBox as a nightmare. Unfortunately I've found out that Windows 10 is no way want to be installed on eMMC as it doesn't recognize it as a hard drive.
Digging the internet I've found out that there is actually a way to have Windows 10 running on USB drive or memory stick as a hard drive, but a specific process is required. It's called "Windows To Go", and a stick can be imaged from Windows ISO making it a hard drive with Windows so you can run it right from it.
Unfortunately the process itself is developed for OEM manufacturers and implies that the stick should be a specific model and type. Imaging the windows that way to any other stick basically is braking Terms Of Use for Windows (which also implies some tinkering with utilities doing so, because they will refuse to image it to anything). Fortunately a distant friend of mine was able to perform the process onto 16G eMMC card using latest Windows 10 ISO (October 2018 update). Also is quite fortunate that having and using this kind of image on a custom stick doesn't brake any Terms of Use, so I can share the image that I got from my distant friend.
Here is the magnet link to the image, it's a standard "dd" image of 16G eMMC, you should write it to your eMMC the usual way as any other Odroid img, just don't forget to un-gzip it.

Code: Select all
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:a4b51cacbab9456e26d3237eeb4d88bc10a80187&dn=Odroid-H2-Windows-10-To-Go-eMMC.img.gz&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fthetracker.org%3A80%2Fannounce

Few things to remember:
- There is no hacking involved, meaning the image of windows is raw .iso downloaded from microsoft download section by my distant friend himself,
- That would imply it's Evaluation copy that is going to expire in 90 days if not activated, there is no activation tampering involved in the image, it's on you how you use it,
- That would also mean the image is in "initial" state, so it will setup, do few reboots and hourglass spins, accounting questions and usual windows stuff,
- Which also implies it highly depends on speed of your eMMC, but sometimes I was thinking it's really dead, while it was doing some steps.
OverSun

languages_spoken: english

Re: Using Windows 10 on eMMC

Unread postby mad_ady » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:32 pm

That's great news!
By the way, what emmc size will you be using for windows? Will you also dual-boot? And if yes, how? With a boot manager (windows/grub), or with bios?
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby OverSun » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:50 pm

No freaking idea about dual-boot... The issue is I have no spare SSD's or NVMe's, so there is basically only eMMC in my box.
I use 16Gb eMMC, it has 1.5Gb free after boot and install all updates (quite few until today).
I need Windows only for one program which is about 30Mb in size, so for me it's total ok to use that 16Gb eMMC.
OverSun

Unread postby mad_ady » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:57 pm

May I ask what does the 30MB program do that it deserves 15G of windows? I'm guessing it doesn't play nice with wine...
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby OverSun » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:29 pm

It's a Design Application for DSP chip. It drives USB connected controller to design and upload a firmware to sound processing module.
Something like Adruino Studio, but for another kind of chip that process sound.
Goes real bad with passing through proprietary USB controller and stuff. I was happy it worked with VirtualBox!
OverSun

Unread postby AreaScout » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi OverSun

I think I will try it, today my new NVMe should arrive, there will be Linux on it and so my current eMMC will transform from Linux to Windows, dual-boot should be as easy as press F7 on boot

Thanks for the Link :)

RG
AreaScout

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: X2, U3, XU3, C2, XU4, XU4Q, N1, Go, VU5A, Show2, CloudShell2, H2

Return to Other OS