How do you make a SSD cache for a Raid 5 HDD array Ubuntu NAS?

Scris101
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid H2+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How do you make a SSD cache for a Raid 5 HDD array Ubuntu NAS?

Post by Scris101 »

I'm trying to make a NAS in ubuntu as I like the OS more, and I can install it on a partition of a drive and not have to deal with boot pools and jails and such, as opposed to Freenas or any dedicated NAS operating systems.

However, one thing I liked about Freenas is its ability to designate a drive/SSD in your system as a data cache.

Is there any way to do a similar thing in Ubuntu? I've tried using bcache but I'm not sure if that does the same thing? I also couldn't manage to actually mount the bcache0 drive once the caching ssd and the backing mdadm raid were setup.

Any help in getting it set up would be super appreciated,

Thanks!

brad
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2 N1 N2 N2+ H2 H2+ (64 bit ftw)

Re: How do you make a SSD cache for a Raid 5 HDD array Ubuntu NAS?

Post by brad »

The ZFS filesystem comes from BSD operating systems used by FreeNAS and such, it natively supports drives allocated for caching or write logging on high speed discs. (and it works well)

Whilst you could possibly use the Linux port of ZFS (ZFS on Linux) and create zpools on linux with cache drives, something similar can be setup using LVM volumes and lvmcache. I've never used it (lvmcache) so cannot really comment much further.

Return to “Ubuntu”