Expected gaming performance on the H2

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Expected gaming performance on the H2

Unread post by mad_ady » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:27 am

First of all, I'm not a gamer and have little experience with modern game requirements.
But, how would the H2 perform as a light gaming platform? I expect it would run all retro games without issues (anything the xu4 can run, the h2 can run better).
I also expect it can run 10 year old games decently (but I might be wrong).
I've last ran games about 5 years ago on a laptop with intel graphics and was able to play things like Starcraft 2 or Black Mesa with rather minimal settings.
It would be nice to have a thread where people report what they managed to play and in what environment.
I wonder how steam games would run (with project proton): https://www.google.ro/amp/s/www.devpy.m ... lt-in/amp/

Rundstedt
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Expected gaming performance on the H2

Unread post by Rundstedt » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:35 am

For testing purposes I've started playing portal, and it most definitely is playable even with sc 8gigs of ram. I think it throttles a bit, so I would advice a fan. But it was running quite high settings.

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1

Unread post by crashoverride » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:25 am

I will note that for games, dual channel memory is an important consideration. The GPU shares system memory and does not have eDRAM, so its more sensitive to memory bandwidth.

KuJoe
ODROIDs: C0, C1, C1+, C2, U2, XU4, HC1, and H2

Unread post by KuJoe » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:42 am

mad_ady wrote:First of all, I'm not a gamer and have little experience with modern game requirements.
But, how would the H2 perform as a light gaming platform? I expect it would run all retro games without issues (anything the xu4 can run, the h2 can run better).
I also expect it can run 10 year old games decently (but I might be wrong).
I've last ran games about 5 years ago on a laptop with intel graphics and was able to play things like Starcraft 2 or Black Mesa with rather minimal settings.
It would be nice to have a thread where people report what they managed to play and in what environment.
I wonder how steam games would run (with project proton): https://www.google.ro/amp/s/www.devpy.m ... lt-in/amp/
Do you have any specific game requests? I love benchmarking things so if you throw out some specific names I'll get them loaded up on Steam (or GOG if they're too old) and give them a try. The limitation will mostly be the IGP since Intel is not known for their GPUs but it should handle older games without any issue.

KuJoe

Unread post by KuJoe » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:42 am

I tried playing the original Bioshock on the H2 and I was averaging 30 FPS on low settings at 720p, it was playable but not enjoyable IMO. I installed The Sims 4 and didn't play around with the graphic settings too much, I ended up setting it to the Low preset with "Laptop mode" enabled and was getting 40-60FPS at 1080p so it wasn't a bad experience. I installed 7 other games I'm going to give a try either tonight or tomorrow night. I don't have high expectations for playing games on here but so far it's going about as expected. I'll give the Steam In-Home Streaming a go also, but I already know that will be a much better experience than trying to play any of the games locally.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:02 pm

@KuJoe: If the kids and wife let me, I'd like to eventually (in the next 5-10 years :P) play Black Mesa and Homeworld Remastered. I'm guessing the new Wolfenstein releases are too much for the H2, right?

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:05 pm

It seems ETAPRIME did a review and played a few games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ihQKHLbugU
It looks like a good gaming system.

KuJoe

Unread post by KuJoe » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:35 am

I booted up Half Life 2: Lost Coast to see how it would run and I was getting a constant 50-60FPS on max settings at 1080p, I ended up playing the whole game. :D

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:54 am

KuJoe wrote:I booted up Half Life 2: Lost Coast to see how it would run and I was getting a constant 50-60FPS on max settings at 1080p, I ended up playing the whole game. :D
Nice :)

KuJoe

Unread post by KuJoe » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:20 am

Played Neverwinter Nights 2 for about 30 minutes today without any issues. I was averaging about 45-50 FPS with highs of ~60 and lows dropping to 30 depending on the map. I was running it at 1080p with the Texture Quality and Shadows on High, and Quality Options disabled (I was getting 10-20 FPS with the defautls enabled).

lazlo
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread post by lazlo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:30 am

I'll just chime in to say that as long as you are willing to accept the performance of integrated graphics and a Celeron CPU then you should be fine. Running SteamOS or Ubuntu with Steam installed will give you the option using SteamPlay, A.K.A. Proton, A.K.A. Valve Software's fork of Wine and Play On Linux. I would have a great time on an H2 if I owned one. I would just embrace the limitations and use it to play all of the great games that will run well on it. Perhaps I would even use it as a thin/xrdp client to play games from my desktop.

I have an Xubuntu laptop that has a crappy AMD A4. I do not get enjoyable performance out of Skyrim, or any 3D titles in general but a whole bunch of other titles do run on it. I don't mind because I have my desktop and it's GTX 970 isn't meant for Stardew Valley.

KuJoe

Unread post by KuJoe » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:53 am

As soon as I get one of my PCs back online (I've literally be using only the H2 as my primary PC for almost a week now while I rebuild my office) I'm definitely going to test the In Home Streaming built into Steam. I'm expecting a better experience than the Steam Link, which is already really good.

aradralami

Unread post by aradralami » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:05 am

mad_ady wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:05 pm
It seems ETAPRIME did a review and played a few games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ihQKHLbugU
It looks like a good gaming system.
PS2 possible? Also would this be a good option for a BigBox build?? Just got my license finally and wanted to find the smallest cheapest way to go...

elatllat
ODROIDs: XU4, N1, N2

Unread post by elatllat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:52 am

The H2 I.O. is a bit slow (5 vs 40 Gbps) for an eGPU, but I still wonder.

m4f2g
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: 2 [XU4] modified,
HominoidSplit Air Case + freefloating OGST-n64 Front Panel

VU7a+ as "mobile"screen in ameridroid vu7 tablet

Unread post by m4f2g » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:26 am

Thats my big question while i evaluating the equipment for my next odroid project... what is the real performance (with that odroid supposed samsung ram available in hardkernelshop) and what is possible with faster ddr4 ram... if i get a cheap pc4-2400 16 GiB (or more) dual ranked Kit.
KuJoe wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:42 am
(...)

Do you have any specific game requests? I love benchmarking things so if you throw out some specific names I'll get them loaded up on Steam (or GOG if they're too old) and give them a try. The limitation will mostly be the IGP since Intel is not known for their GPUs but it should handle older games without any issue.
If i had one, i would do some tests on my steam/gog or retail libary, but currently its sold out.

I could make some suggestions...

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:46 pm

I managed to play a bit of GTA5 (under windows) on the H2.
With video settings at minimal, and running at 800x600 the game is "playable". I get about 15-20fps in-game, dropping to 8 or lower for short periods of time. But it's playable (and I'm a horrible player) if you're not a gamer.
Will try out some other titles as well...

Pienoet
languages_spoken: english Dutch

Unread post by Pienoet » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:02 am

How does dolphin with mario kart wii on the H2?

Is 1080p internal resolution playable?
And how about ps2 games?

I wonder how https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/12662 ... -chrome-s/ this build is running and wich emulator is running wel.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:32 pm

Got my second 4G memory DIMM so now my H2 runs dual memory and I tested a bit a few games:
GTA5: FPS improved to ~30fps, dropping to 20 in some cases. Still on minimal and 800x600, but playable (I recommend using the mods!) :)
Homeworld remastered: ~8fps on high quality during the intro, but once the game starts (you get control) you get 40-60fps on quite high settings. Looks great and I look forward to playing it.
Black Mesa: 1280x1024 on high quality - I get 20-30fps, dropping to ~8 on large areas. On 800x600 I get 50-80fps. :) Quite playable.

My next goal is to test these games under linux (there's no windows in my home, and I intent do keep it this way) :D

Return to “General Topics”