Brand New ODROID Single Board Computer

crashoverride
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0

Re: Brand New ODROID Single Board Computer

Unread post by crashoverride » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:43 am

mix wrote:Can the m.2 slot be used for anything other than a NVMe drive?
It depends on the device being used. If it uses the PCIeX2 lanes and is keyed compatibly, then it should work. For short cards like WiFI, you can probably stick some thick double sided tape under the mounting notch to secure it.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:45 am

@mix,
No. The M.2 slot can support only NVMe storage probably.
There is no signal for WiFi/BT adapter neither M.2 SATA.

Consider a hi-end USB3.0 wireless adapter something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNVLV1Y/

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:58 am

Some further info about M2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

A M2 port can provide PCIe, USB, I2C, SATA and a few other buses. M2 SSDs typically use either SATA or PCIe. Only those using PCIe are compatible. Devices other than SSDs may also use the PCIe lanes instead of USB. In addition to using PCIe instead of USB, it also has to be compatibly "keyed" to physically fit in the slot.

WiFI M2 adapters may use both PCIe and USB or UART to support both WiFI and Bluetooth. In this instance, only the portion using PCIe will be usable.

[edit]
The assumption of this post is that only PCIe lanes are exposed on the H2's M2 slot.

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:08 am

crashoverride wrote: [edit]
The assumption of this post is that only PCIe lanes are exposed on the H2's M2 slot.
Your assumption is always correct. :(

tkaiser
ODROIDs: C1+, C2, XU4, HC1

Unread post by tkaiser » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:07 pm

mix wrote:Can the m.2 slot be used for anything other than a NVMe drive?
Anything that is fine with 1-4 PCIe Gen2 lanes as long as it physically fits or you have an adapter.
How about a m.2 wifi adapter? What is the keying?
Since PCIe Wi-Fi cards exist it's possible in theory. Either using a PCIe Extender like this (you get the needed voltages from one of the 2 SATA power ports and should better expect signal quality issues and your PCIe device just negotiating Gen1 speeds):

Or a key M to E adapter like that:

Then you need to do some detective work to get an M.2 E key Wi-Fi card that only uses PCIe and not also USB/UART since the latter protocols not being routed to the M.2 connector on the H2. For some E key cards that will result in Wi-Fi working but Bluetooth not for example.

tmihai20
languages_spoken: english, french, italian, romanian
ODROIDs: XU4, GO, H2

Unread post by tmihai20 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:16 pm

I would like to be able to buy memory with the H2. It will not be a deal breaker, but it will surely help. Buying from Amazon or eBay is not an option for me, Newegg does not even exist in my country. The prices in my country for SO-DIMM DDR4 are quite high, 16 GB of memory would go around 180 USD or 156 EUR, which is quite a lot. Not to mention that dual channel kits are even harder to find.
Riddle me this, riddle me that
Who is afraid of the big, black bat?
I write (in Romanian mostly) on a blog (see my profile)

rigajux
ODROIDs: H1
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by rigajux » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:24 pm

Hello
will it support CEC on the HDMI port? That will make the ultimate media center!

tmihai20

Unread post by tmihai20 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:29 pm

rigajux wrote:Hello
The preliminary specs are saying it should not support CEC through HDMI. Read the posts on the first page, even the replies coming from other members.

rigajux

Unread post by rigajux » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi
I *did* read all of the thread before asking, and even tho the first post does not mention it, it does not explicitly says there's no CEC support.
Again, since CEC support is available as an optional for some of Intel NUCs, It would be great if HardKernel add native support.
One of the reasons of Raspberry PIs success (besides the low prices) has been it makes for a great media player, since it is cheap and *HAS CEC*

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:36 pm

Regarding M2 WiFi, with Gemini Lake, Intel introduced its own proprietary connection called "CNVi". The SoC embeds a block called "Pulsar" that allows WiFi cards to only contain the "radio".
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/cnvi

M2 WiFi cards carrying the "CNVi" label are unlikely to work. The best solution for WiFi still appears to be USB3.0.

tkaiser

Unread post by tkaiser » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:55 pm

crashoverride wrote:M2 WiFi cards carrying the "CNVi" label are unlikely to work.
They can't work since even if they are 2230 key E cards they rely on a proprietary pinout and do not make use of PCIe only. See chapter 3.1 in https://fccid.io/MSQ9560NG/User-Manual/ ... al-3645255

Droidzilla
ODROIDs: Xu4

Unread post by Droidzilla » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:02 am

Will this support 144hz refresh monitors?

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:02 am

rigajux wrote:Hello
H2 has no CEC feature on the HDMI since we didn't add an extra CEC controller IC. :(

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:03 am

Droidzilla wrote:Will this support 144hz refresh monitors?
HDMI 2.0 and DP1.2 video outputs support up to 4K/60Hz as far as I know.

back2future

Unread post by back2future » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:32 pm

Did you test ARM developer tools on H2 or on emulated x64 on N2?

back2future

Unread post by back2future » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:42 pm

odroid wrote:
tkaiser wrote:
tkaiser wrote:* how networking performance and stability with the two RTL8211 looks like
Simple and stupid iperf test on both two Ethernet ports on H2 RTL8811G showed steady 940~960Mbps of performance for a few days.
The WoL(Wake-on-LAN) feature in H2 works fine with a long-term repeated test.

My little home server ODROID-C2/eMMC64GB has run over 500 days stably with the notorious RTL8811F Gbit connection.

I don't have any idea how to break the bad reputation(or myth?) about the RTL8211* on the internet.
Realtek driver R8169 now has ASPM (active state power management) activated that can save up to 3W for notebooks, pc or servers, because of allowing deeper sleep states for lan hosting pci(e) bridge ic.
Thunderbolt was optimized, too.

[ 4.19: changes 2015 'Code of conflict' to 'Code of conduct' ]

brad
ODROIDs: C2 N1 N2 H2 (64 bit ftw)

Unread post by brad » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:15 pm

Im interested in the PCIe for low latency audio, Im wondering if can configure the pcie somehow for an audio interface, either PCIe direct or a PCIeto firewire card for an audio interface I already own.

Also might it be possible to pre-order for the 1st lot of shipments?

tkaiser

Unread post by tkaiser » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:02 pm

brad wrote:Im interested in the PCIe for low latency audio, Im wondering if can configure the pcie somehow for an audio interface
There's nothing to configure. On the M.2 key M slot four Gen2 PCIe lanes are available ready for any PCIe add-ons that fit physically, are fine with lane count and speed and can be powered (which is no issue on the H2 since the 2 SATA power ports provide exactly the 5V/12V usual PCIe cards need)

See viewtopic.php?f=29&t=32536&start=150#p236473 above.

Even if you follow the 'buy cheap, buy twice' principle for an Audio and/or firewire card it will be sufficient since those things are fine even with Gen1 interface speeds (all that matters is lowest latency and DMA). Of course it will look ugly, you need to remove the slot bracket from the card and improvise somewhat wrt fixation/enclosure.

An alternative is a Firewire mPCIe card. All that's needed then is a M.2 key M adapter to mPCIe (mPCIe cards itself are fine with 3.3V so less consumption and no dedicated power wiring needed but since Firewire specs allow for bus powered devices they usually also have an connector where you can insert 12V from a separate power source like the H2' SATA power ports)

brad
ODROIDs: C2 N1 N2 H2 (64 bit ftw)

Unread post by brad » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:51 pm

tkaiser wrote: Even if you follow the 'buy cheap, buy twice' principle for an Audio and/or firewire card it will be sufficient since those things are fine even with Gen1 interface speeds (all that matters is lowest latency and DMA). Of course it will look ugly, you need to remove the slot bracket from the card and improvise somewhat wrt fixation/enclosure.
Yes I don't care about throughput only the latency, for the audio if it worked well eventually I would make a addon board with a with custom enclosure. It would have a number of serious audio connectors which will take up alot of room in the case anyway.

I also have some different firewire cards laying around in pcmcia / pci but I guess these are useless and could not be made to work? Its difficult to buy the right card as firewire chips are poorly implemented and don't support the standards correctly. Hoping I can find something appropriate with this in it maybe - TSB41LV03A - http://www.ti.com/product/TSB41LV03A

Thanks for your help!

tkaiser

Unread post by tkaiser » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:18 pm

brad wrote:I also have some different firewire cards laying around in pcmcia / pci but I guess these are useless and could not be made to work?
Well, with some adapter/bridge madness maybe. A lot of "low speed" interfaces on PCIe cards are PCI in reality sitting behind a PCIe/PCI bridge. If what you call PCMCIA is Cardbus (PC Card 32-bit) then maybe even these cards can be made operational on an PCIe port.

Just had a look which Firewire controller sits in my Thunderbolt Display:

Code: Select all

mac-tk-2018:~ tk$ system_profiler SPPCIDataType
PCI:
    pci11c1,5901:

Type: IEEE 1394 Open HCI
      Driver Installed: Yes
      Tunnel Compatible: Yes
      Pause Compatible: Yes
      MSI: Yes
      Bus: PCI
      Slot: Thunderbolt@194,0,0
      Vendor ID: 0x11c1
      Device ID: 0x5901
      Subsystem Vendor ID: 0xc111
      Subsystem ID: 0x0159
      Revision ID: 0x0008
      Link Width: x1
      Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s
That's this thing https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/11c1/5901 (AFAIK it's the same in Apple's Thunderbolt FW adapter which is the adapter of choice of many Audio professionals here around). Single lane Gen1 speed attached (which obviously is sufficient given the moderate bandwidth requirements of FW/FW800).

aaabaaab
ODROIDs: XU4, XU4Q

Unread post by aaabaaab » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:35 pm

odroid wrote: When we gave up the poor N1, the N2(based on ARM Cortex A73) was already on the way from May. So far, it is working great at evaluation sample stage.
But, we still need some more time to check hardware and software stability. We will announce at the forum first as soon as it is available for public open.
We expect to be able to enjoy the N2 board party together soon.
N2 is not a FAKE. ;)
Could you let us know when we could expect an update on N2 ?

rigajux

Unread post by rigajux » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:51 pm

odroid wrote:H2 has no CEC feature on the HDMI since we didn't add an extra CEC controller IC. :(
..do you realize you would have sold twice as much with that IC in? (going from useless to ultimate as a media center)
any hope for a rev.1.1 with the CEC IC installed?
Thanks!

YamashitaRen
languages_spoken: Français, English
ODROIDs: Odroid-U2

Unread post by YamashitaRen » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:54 pm

rigajux wrote:
odroid wrote:H2 has no CEC feature on the HDMI since we didn't add an extra CEC controller IC. :(
..do you realize you would have sold twice as much with that IC in? (going from useless to ultimate as a media center)
any hope for a rev.1.1 with the CEC IC installed?
Thanks!
I have to agree. Forcing users to buy a pulse-eight adapter for media center use make it very cost ineffective.

tkaiser

Unread post by tkaiser » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:16 pm

YamashitaRen wrote:Forcing users to buy a pulse-eight adapter for media center use make it very cost ineffective.
What's wrong with the Gorite stuff https://www.gorite.com/intel-nuc-produc ... c-adapters (except the missing pin header)?

DanielBull
ODROIDs: Odroid W, Odroid XU3Lite

Unread post by DanielBull » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:36 pm

rigajux wrote:
You need to keep in mind that this device is very versatile, and being a media centre is only one application of many.
Almost all the other applications wont require a CEC controller, many applications wont even have a screen connected. If adding a CEC controller adds a significant extra cost to the device (which it likely does, there may even be license fees) then the decrease in sales due to the increased cost may have a greater effect than the sales gained by having it present.

We have to consider that they have a choice between including a CEC controller and keeping the costs down. As it stands being Intel this board is going to be quite expensive as it is, I can understand the logic in not including a CEC controller which may bump the cost up just that little too much and put people off.

tkaiser

Unread post by tkaiser » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:48 pm

DanielBull wrote:We have to consider that they have a choice between including a CEC controller and keeping the costs down.
Or a future rev 1.1 board providing IR and a pin-header for some of the Pulse-Eight/Gorite modules like the P8-NUCCECv1.

rigajux

Unread post by rigajux » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:26 am

DanielBull wrote: You need to keep in mind that this device is very versatile, and being a media centre is only one application of many.
and in fact, a media center ADDS to the list of possible applications. And, if Raspberry PI is a story of success, it's mostly because of this. It's Versatile, and it's Cheap.
If HardKernel wants to sell many of those, they should have that kind of flexibility. Raspberry HAS HDMI. HAS CEC. Costs less than $40.
DanielBull wrote: Almost all the other applications wont require a CEC controller, many applications wont even have a screen connected.
The world is wonderfully diversified. Many applications won't have a screen connected? Many more will. (it's your opinion vs mine of course)
DanielBull wrote: If adding a CEC controller adds a significant extra cost to the device (which it likely does, there may even be license fees) [...]
Try not to make educated guesses.. HDMI does have licensing fees. CEC on the countrary, does not. and as for the CEC controller.. let's the manufacturer/odroid answer about the cost, he most likely knows better than you and me :)

Were I HardKernel, I would have asked around.. say on these forums, or, better yet, in forums where people that buy these boards do hang around... OSMC,LibreElec, Raspberry just to name a few.

Again, I think the main goal (of any company selling anything) is to sell as much as possible. Widening the audience, to a large market such as the one of Media Centers, would (imho of course) just aid Odroid, not hinder it because of a few CENTS more (remember: Raspberry DOES include HDMI anc CEC and is inexpensive)
Just my 2 cents of course

tkaiser

Unread post by tkaiser » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:53 am

rigajux wrote:because of a few CENTS more (remember: Raspberry DOES include HDMI anc CEC and is inexpensive)
That's because RPi Trading unlike RPi Foundation pretty early focused with their main product on an inexpensive KODI box instead of a 'development board' to teach people useful things (one simple goal: selling millions of devices).

The RPi is a special device since it runs 2 operating systems. The primary one, a RTOS called ThreadX, runs on the primary CPU called VideoCore IV. This hardware 'owns' HDMI and here CEC has been implemented. RPi Trading as a result of them partially having emanated from BroadCom's Mobile Multimedia division has access to ThreadX sourcecode and hardware documentation so they were able to implement this inside the SoC. The ARM guest processors running a secondary OS like Linux then use the proprietary APIs to implement the CEC functionality that lives fully in the closed source domain.

https://elinux.org/Raspberry_Pi_VideoCo ... vc_cec_.2A
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... oped_q=cec

This is what makes the RPi special no matter you want to accept this or not. Where other platforms need to add an expensive IC the RPi Trading guys were able to implement something in software since these few guys had access to hardware documentation and sourcecode. They are able to adjust stuff at 'firmware' level in this BroadCom SoC.

To get the same with an Intel CPU the same level of access would be needed: CPU internals. So all you get with Gemini Lake now is this: https://nucblog.net/2018/04/gemini-lake ... mment-5951

hunter86_bg

Unread post by hunter86_bg » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:35 am

Anyone knowing when the H2 will be available?
This board will be a perfect platform for a home firewall and/or VPN appliance.

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread post by tobetter » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:39 am

hunter86_bg wrote:Anyone knowing when the H2 will be available?
This board will be a perfect platform for a home firewall and/or VPN appliance.
odroid said
We will begin mass production of ODROID-H2 within a few weeks and our first shipment will be available in late November.

DanielBull

Unread post by DanielBull » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:59 am

I have to agree with tkaiser. The ONLY reason the Pi has CEC is because it was based on the Broadcom chip who's family was initially designed for set top boxes etc. The whole design of the SoC was based around the VideoCore system which performs the CEC function in its own OS. This is also the only reason they could implement it cost effectively because they already had the hardware and software developed.

To implement it in this x86 environment is not a few cents, obviously like you say rigajux Hard Kernel are in a better position to assess cost than us but my guess is it could be as much as $10 more in which case its just not worth it for the few people that will run media centres who can easily use alternative boards.

User Name

Unread post by User Name » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:51 am

Could someone confirm that all storage channels (SATA, M.2 slot and eMMC) can all be used simultaneously? I've seen other boards that disable one of certain others are populated.

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:39 am

User Name wrote:Could someone confirm that all storage channels (SATA, M.2 slot and eMMC) can all be used simultaneously? I've seen other boards that disable one of certain others are populated.
The following storages have been used in parallel.
eMMC: 64GB Orange module
M.2: 500GB WD Black 3D NVMe SSD
SATA #0: 3.5" 4TB WD RED HDD
SATA #1: 2.5" 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 SSD

And, you can choose the boot source from one of them.
Refer the BIOS feature.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=32536#p236118

User Name

Unread post by User Name » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:30 am

odroid wrote: The following storages have been used in parallel.
eMMC: 64GB Orange module
M.2: 500GB WD Black 3D NVMe SSD
SATA #0: 3.5" 4TB WD RED HDD
SATA #1: 2.5" 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 SSD

Thank you!! I will be purchasing as soon as they're available. This is exactly what I've been looking for for years!

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:32 pm

DanielBull wrote: in which case its [CEC] just not worth it for the few people that will run media centres who can easily use alternative boards.
CEC is a trivial one-wire, bi-directional, low bitrate, open collector BUS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_ ... cs_Control

It would cost Intel next to nothing (if not absolutely nothing) to implement the hardware on the SoC should they choose.

The key word in the opening sentence is "bus": everything sees everything else. The implication is that a CEC implementation has no electrical requirement to be physically connected to the HDMI port of the device its associated with. The device only needs to be on the same "bus" (i.e. attached to the same TV). Applying this knowledge, you could use the CEC hardware in your RPi, C1, C2, etc. as the CEC interface for H2.

This brings us to the heart of matter. It is not actually CEC that is desired so much as it is CEC that is compatible with Kodi (or other software of your choosing). This compatibility is what the $50 is buying in the USB CEC adapter.

In the Intel world, the common solution to a problem is to throw money at. Maybe the ODROID world would implement an Ethernet or Bluetooth CEC server for C1/C2. Even using a C1 as USB host to emulate the pulse8 adapter would be cheaper than the actual pulse8 adapter. :o

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:50 pm

That would imply having another HDMI CEC-capable device that sends the actual CEC commands and proxies queries for the H2, right? Since it's HDMI, it will probably not be desired by some to have two things attached to the TV (since for some TV models have few HDMI ports)

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:44 pm

mad_ady wrote: it will probably not be desired by some to have two things attached to the TV
I agree. I think the best solution would be to route the required CEC line to an unused pin on the expansion connector on a future revision. Then it would be possible to either offer a CEC board, create your own board, or use a 3rd party board.

The intent of my previous post was to inspire creativity. CEC over TCP/IP would allow you to control your TV/Home Theater remotely from The Cloud! :lol:

rigajux

Unread post by rigajux » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:33 am

tkaiser wrote:[...]
To get the same with an Intel CPU the same level of access would be needed: CPU internals. So all you get with Gemini Lake now is this: https://nucblog.net/2018/04/gemini-lake ... mment-5951
Thanks tkaiser, yours is truly an impressive and comprehensive answer.
Your knowledge on the matter is impressive to say the least.
It is a shame Intel did not fully implement CEC on Gemini Lake, it would still be interesting to hear from Odroid/HardKernel if the cost of an additional IC would be so high to deem it out of scope for O2
I'm still thinking that the price should be low, based on the existing hardware ICs, and that the potential would be great

Again, thanks

s3bek

Unread post by s3bek » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:59 am

Quick question, will the DDR3 SODIMM do the trick here or is it only DDR4 compatible? Asking as I do have some DDR3 stick at hand and buying the DDR4 these days would not be what I wan to do.

tkaiser

Unread post by tkaiser » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:23 am

s3bek wrote:Quick question, will the DDR3 SODIMM do the trick here or is it only DDR4 compatible?
https://ark.intel.com/de/products/128989/

s3bek

Unread post by s3bek » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:09 am

@tkaiser,

Yeah I have been there, but it only shows that it can do DDR4. Guessing it is not backward compatible...

tkaiser

Unread post by tkaiser » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:47 am

s3bek wrote:it only shows that it can do DDR4. Guessing it is not backward compatible...
It's a CPU/chipset feature board makers like Hardkernel have no influence on. So you can google for Gemini Lake + ddr3 and end up here for example: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12146/in ... a-features

fvolk
ODROIDs: C2, HC1, H2

Unread post by fvolk » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:55 am

The CPU seemingly seems to support SGX and the BIOS screenshots suggest a submenu called Trusted Computing.
Does the board BIOS support SGX of the CPU and is there also a TPM?

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread post by tobetter » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:58 am

fvolk wrote:The CPU seemingly seems to support SGX and the BIOS screenshots suggest a submenu called Trusted Computing.
Does the board BIOS support SGX of the CPU and is there also a TPM?
No, there is no interface or a connector for TPM.

superstructor

Unread post by superstructor » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:02 am

This is a good move. Well played ODROID. I'll be buying one (or more) of these for retro gaming, light storage server running FreeNAS or other tasks. If the price is reasonable, these will be highly competitive.

Don't give up on ARM. I'm sure there are still many people interested in high performance ARM SBCs for many different use cases.

I also have some NVIDIA Jetson TX2s and the new NVIDIA Jetson Xavier which are amazing boards for GPU or AI-accelerated tasks, but painfully *expensive*!

Enoch Liou
languages_spoken: Taiwan Mandarin

Unread post by Enoch Liou » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:52 pm

The interfaces of 2 Gigabit Ethernet, 4 USB port, Gemini Lake CPU, dual channel DDR4, and SATA3 + PCIe M2, make this product broad range of applications. Great Design!

I am seeking for solutions not made in China.
Will H2 be manufactured in South Korea?

soundfun
ODROIDs: C2

Unread post by soundfun » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:35 pm

s3bek wrote:Quick question, will the DDR3 SODIMM do the trick here or is it only DDR4 compatible? Asking as I do have some DDR3 stick at hand and buying the DDR4 these days would not be what I wan to do.
RAM prices currently are dropping due to increased production amounts.
I got crucial DDR4 4GB for my HTPC for 31 Euros instead of 47 Euros a week ago. 16GB crucial DDR4 now at 113 Euros instead of 160 Euros.
SSD prices are dropping atm for the same reason.
I hope the board will be released this year, as RAM and SSD will be most affordable til end of this year.

tmihai20

Unread post by tmihai20 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:15 pm

soundfun wrote: RAM prices currently are dropping due to increased production amounts.
I got crucial DDR4 4GB for my HTPC for 31 Euros instead of 47 Euros a week ago. 16GB crucial DDR4 now at 113 Euros instead of 160 Euros.
SSD prices are dropping atm for the same reason.
I hope the board will be released this year, as RAM and SSD will be most affordable til end of this year.
Ram prices are not reasonable everywhere. A single SODIMM 16 GB DDR4 Ram is about 167 EUR in my country.

back2future

Unread post by back2future » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:24 pm

Is there a bios option getting started with this H2 with swap space only and no memory (sodimm-RAM) inserted?

DanielBull

Unread post by DanielBull » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:40 pm

back2future wrote:Is there a bios option getting started with this H2 with swap space only and no memory (sodimm-RAM) inserted?
AFAIK no x86 operating system can function without RAM. I don't even think its possible.

Return to “General Topics”