H2+ out oif stock

Nightingale
languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: none yet
Been thanked: 0

H2+ out oif stock

Post by Nightingale »

Please, are there any news of when there will be stock again?

Thanks!

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: H2+ out oif stock

Post by odroid »

Unfortunately no.
We have no plan to run a production in this year. Sorry about that.

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

By the way, how does the chip industry look at the moment? I've read that a few countries poured money to create/update new fabs. Are you getting the impression that the chip market is slowly getting out of shortage? Or will it take 6+months more?

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

Building a semiconductor factory takes 2~3 years at least.

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+, Game Advance, a few XU4

Post by mctom »

Mind you the pandemic isn't over yet just because everybody got bored with it. ;)
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

I do hope we'll be bathing in affordable electronics in 2-3 years, then :D

mctom

Post by mctom »

I'm sure Hardkernel is working on something exciting, N4 or XU8, even if the mass production will have to wait till 2023. ;)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS
languages_spoken: English, Jibberish, Pig Latin
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+,(3) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Post by L67GS »

Maybe the vacuum tube industry is looking better than silicone, HK could market a 25mhz computer the size of a school bus and beat the competition in sales simply because SOMETHING was available.

L67GS
languages_spoken: English, Jibberish, Pig Latin
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+,(3) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Post by L67GS »

Actually that isn't a terrible idea, barring the vacuum tubes. How about seeing what components ARE available and getting a product to market even if it's lower specs?

mctom

Post by mctom »

I graduated about 10 years ago as an electronics engineer, and already by that time vacuum tube technology was so obsolete I wasn't even taught how to use it. ;)
Nevertheless, living in Poland I was able to put my hands on many brand new soviet tubes and play with them. (Military surplus for the most part)
Well, according to modern safety regulations, a school bus volume might just be enough to ensure interface isolation from internal 200V bias!

Seriously though, the shortage concerns all sorts of chips, not just the top shelf. I don't think there's any point in designing an obsolete product even if somehow older parts were easier to get. Might as well do a batch of some old Odroid products (I hear people miss C2 a lot?).

Personally I'm not affected by that shortage. Space industry always has ridiculous lead times and do not depend on Asian factories. SBCs are available here in online shops as usual, nothing exciting really.
Here's H2+ available (unless they bluff?) and ship to European Union:
https://kamami.pl/komputery-odroid/5801 ... j4115.html

Maintainer of PiStackMon

_linux_
languages_spoken: English, German
ODROIDs: H2+
Been thanked: 0

Post by _linux_ »

It's September now and no new Batch for the H2+. Wouldn't it be possible to take J4125s or J5040s instead? I plan to build a NAS with two SSDs and use LACP to get 5GbE ethernet. It would be welcome anyway to have a little bit more power from the CPU. Hardkernel is the only Company who was smart enough to build 2x2.5GbE NICs onto an SBC as far as I'm concerned. The rest of the components can't really be the issue, right?

And with the M.2 adapter you could even get 4 more ports. Anyone ever aggregated four of them to get 10GbE?

mctom

Post by mctom »

10Gb is not crazy fast, it's stupid fast. There's little chance anything querying this NAS would have that kind of write speed anyway ;)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

domih
languages_spoken: English, French
ODROIDs: UX4, HC2, N2, N2+, H2, H2+, C4, HC4 - 1GbE, 2.5GbE, 10GbE, 40+GbE

Post by domih »

mctom wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:31 pm
10Gb is not crazy fast, it's stupid fast. There's little chance anything querying this NAS would have that kind of write speed anyway ;)
I'm doing 10 GbE with SFP+ or 11+ GbE to 14 GbE (depending on direction) via IPoIB. The PCIe bus is still fast enough: 10 GbE with SFP+ (or RJ-45) only requires PCIe Gen 2 x4. The CPU is not the bottleneck either.

BUT yes the storage will be the bottleneck if usage is NAS. But 10 GbE still provides better performance than 2.5 GbE if that's what one wants to achieve. Depends on goals and hardware: by that I mean that if you already have a 10 GbE or IB subnet, it's nice to have the H2+ able to connect to it and share data with the more powerful PCs. You can also play with turning off the ACK and trusting the caching on the NAS and/or use an SSD as cache for the big rust disk.

mctom

Post by mctom »

I still fail to see any practical use of that setup, at least at home, other that deep satisfaction watching benchmark results. A gigabit LAN is everything I have ever needed. ;)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

domih
languages_spoken: English, French
ODROIDs: UX4, HC2, N2, N2+, H2, H2+, C4, HC4 - 1GbE, 2.5GbE, 10GbE, 40+GbE

Post by domih »

mctom wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:26 pm
I still fail to see any practical use of that setup, at least at home, other that deep satisfaction watching benchmark results. A gigabit LAN is everything I have ever needed. ;)
I concur on the benchmark only story bringing 15 micro-seconds of fame.

However for the practical usage it really depends on what you do.

See viewtopic.php?p=332805#p332805. Even for a limited bandwidth H2+ with PCIe Gen 2 x4 my rsync-based backups go twice++ faster than 1GbE. With my full desktop PCs, relying on 40+ GbE, a remote volume is quasi as fast as a local volume. I use that everyday for distributed databases, VMs, distributed NAS, etc. Other example: syncing an external drive from the local NAS to then sync in other locations by transporting the external drive. OK, it's not purely home, but SOHO + home, but "my" home usage profits from it because it is pretty much mixed into it. I guess you feel the need when the NAS has N x TB of data and one syncing involves dozens GB. Using "refuse" hardware from data centers on eBay-like stores makes it possible and low cost, even lower cost than the so-called "new consumer 10 GbE".

A pure home usage would be for example transcoding all your VHS, LaserDisc, DVD and Blueray to MP4, AVI1 in order to have them on a video server for the enjoyment of everybody at home. In such a case, the TB accumulate very quickly. Same thing for your mp3, pdf, cbr collections.

mctom

Post by mctom »

Yeah, it all boils down to your expectations. I set up daily incremental rsync of all drives on my main machine, and it takes about 5 minutes or so, usually when I sleep.
I'm not a data hoarder kind of person either, so perhaps it's just not for me. ;)

The rejected professional gear is the best - and often far cheaper and better than modern consumer equivalents. One downside is often extreme power consumption. I gave up an ancient pro display just because it took 150+W and replaced with 30W Iiyama or AOC, I can't remember.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

Return to “General Topics”