Sold Out

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Re: Sold Out

Unread post by mad_ady » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:29 pm

I tried to order some xu4s from them a couple of months ago and have them shipped to Romania (still in the EU) and when you go to checkout the cart it says it can't be shipped because of new "waste" regulation. May not apply to all countries though, so you can try.

fvolk
ODROIDs: C2, HC1, H2

Unread post by fvolk » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:49 pm

I would guess it is because of https://www.pollin.de/umweltrichtlinien

Google Translate:
[...]The adjacent marking "crossed-out wheeled bin" means: Electrical and electronic equipment must not be disposed of as domestic or residual waste. You can hand in your old electrical appliances for free at one of the municipal collection points. In addition, you may return your old electronic devices (regardless of the purchase of a new device from Pollin Electronic), which are no longer than 25 cm in size, to DHL for return shipment. For this purpose, we will provide you with a return label free of charge at [...]

I read that as they are required by law to accept electronic waste back - but if they really have to offer this free of charge they don't want to receive electronic waste from potentially all over Europe. Any Germans here that can comment on this?

tmihai20
languages_spoken: english, french, italian, romanian
ODROIDs: XU4, Go

Unread post by tmihai20 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:03 pm

H2 has a nice price there. I did a test and the price for oen H2, one Type-1 case and a power adapter is better than on HardKernel site, taxes included. I would be nice if they would deliver to Romania. I did not take into account transportation costs nor the 20 EUR fee that DHL Romania charges extra for any imports.

Edit: registered on the website, it seems that they will not deliver electronic parts because of the German law. Bad, bad, bad.
Riddle me this, riddle me that
Who is afraid of the big, black bat?
I write (in Romanian mostly) on a blog (see my profile)

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread post by mad_ady » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:27 pm

@tmihai20: Time to make new friends who live in Germany :D

tmihai20

Unread post by tmihai20 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:34 pm

mad_ady wrote:@tmihai20: Time to make new friends who live in Germany :D
I actually have some, but I do not want to ask them yet. This expense is not budgeted for this month :D

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

puremind

Unread post by puremind » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:10 am

It looks there is no proper distributor for Europe

dgbg9615
ODROIDs: XU 4; C2

Unread post by dgbg9615 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:19 am

I do not want to speculate badly, but it seems to be a fiasco as with the Odroid N1, should the Odroid N2 be no more of that.
This time it was not because of the RAM is no longer available as the Odroid N1, but at the SoC, Intel can not deliver, who believes it ...?
A professional company / supplier is something else, again I am very disappointed by Hardkernel / Odroid, unfortunately.

My bad english please forgive me.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:59 am

dgbg9615 wrote:I do not want to speculate badly, but it seems to be a fiasco as with the Odroid N1, should the Odroid N2 be no more of that.
This time it was not because of the RAM is no longer available as the Odroid N1, but at the SoC, Intel can not deliver, who believes it ...?
A professional company / supplier is something else, again I am very disappointed by Hardkernel / Odroid, unfortunately.

My bad english please forgive me.
All you have to do is look and you will see there is a shortage of Gemini lake

https://www.google.com/search?q=intel+G ... e+shortage

Hardkernel began development of the H2 more than a year ago, they can't fortell the future.

dgbg9615

Unread post by dgbg9615 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:39 pm

It's true, but only partially.
I've been in the electronics manufacturing industry for more than 10 years, so I'm very familiar with the different stages of development of a new product.
The first and very important thing is to check whether the corresponding components, chips, controllers, ... are available, even for a long time, and then you conclude the supply contracts with the manufacturer.
Hardkernel / Odroid probably has a lot of school work to do to become a reliable supplier.
This problem existed with Odroid N1, and continued to grow on Odroid H2.
It's just weird that the supposedly hard-to-deliver SoC can be found on motherboards, and the board manufacturers have no delivery issues, such as the ASROCK J4105 series.

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/J4105M/ ... cification

I'm just buying this board, it will be delivered tomorrow (28.12.2018), then Odroid did it for me, because this board has all the necessary features I need, and even better energy needs than Odroid-H2, including hardware enhancements the H2 does not Has.

YamashitaRen
languages_spoken: Français, English
ODROIDs: Odroid-U2

Unread post by YamashitaRen » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:34 pm

I agree. Current situation is a bit ridiculous.
I'm waiting to replace my U2 with the successor of the XU4 for more than a year (it was due to happen).
We got two potential successors from Hardkernel : N1 then H2. Both are unavailable. Now we are waiting for N2 specs to be announced...
What's next ?

dgbg9615

Unread post by dgbg9615 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:18 am

I suspect that N2 disappears in the sinking, I had already predicted in a mail weeks ago, and so far, there is only by Hardkernel declarations of intent to N2.

tmihai20

Unread post by tmihai20 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:50 am

I think we should all refrain ourselves from such ideas, we will get an N2. HardKernel people are on holidays as we are. There have been discussions about other motherboards. Let's keep this ontopic about H2. There are other topics about this.

ASword
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1

Unread post by ASword » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:32 am

Intel is having serious problems right now, and that was not foreseeable a year or two ago. The larger volume buyers get priority for what production that is available. Odroid only ordered a couple of thousand, so they are small potatoes. They also didn’t expect to sell instantly as happened. Saying they should have acted differently is using hindsight, and not fair to hardkernel. Same goes for the N1 situation — the market moved and the competition made some different choices and ended up in a better place so making the N1 ceased to make sense. This happens. Twice in a year sucks for hardkernel.

martin00

Unread post by martin00 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:35 pm

Specs say you can have 32GB ram, but according to Intel's ARK: https://ark.intel.com/products/128989/I ... -2-50-GHz- max RAM for this CPU is 8GB.
Does it mean different CPU has to be bought to support this amount of ram and 32GB is the max memory board itself can handle ?

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:08 pm

martin00 wrote:Specs say you can have 32GB ram, but according to Intel's ARK: https://ark.intel.com/products/128989/I ... -2-50-GHz- max RAM for this CPU is 8GB.
Does it mean different CPU has to be bought to support this amount of ram and 32GB is the max memory board itself can handle ?
32GB is the maximum and no a different CPU is not possible.

martin00

Unread post by martin00 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:13 pm

rooted wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:08 pm
]32GB is the maximum and no a different CPU is not possible.
Ok, so CPU is soldered in. Specs here say 32GB, Intel ARK says otherwise. I'm curious where's the mistake then. Is somebody here who has 32GB on this board and can confirm this ?

tkaiser
ODROIDs: C1+, C2, XU4, HC1

Unread post by tkaiser » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:25 pm

martin00 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:13 pm
Is somebody here who has 32GB on this board and can confirm this ?
Everything needed to know is on the Wiki: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-h2/hardware/ram -- both Hardkernel folks and users run H2 (and all the other Gemini Lake thingies) successfully with more than 8 GB RAM as long as the CAS latency issue does not interfere (hopefully fixed now with latest UEFI update on H2)

martin00

Unread post by martin00 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:31 pm

@tkaiser Many thanks.

dgbg9615

Unread post by dgbg9615 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:32 am

Now I'm speculating about the availability of the Odroid-H2 with the SoC J4105. According to information from Intel, this SoC is no longer gefrtigt, or only as a spare part. The successor SoC is J5005, with higher perfomace (clock rate, GPU, ...). This SoC has been in production for some time but is not pin-compatible with the J4105.
I'm now assuming that Hardkernel is working intensively on a new board for the H2 with J5005. Eventually the board will come in spring.
Would then again a Plamage for Hardkernel / Odroid, as well as with the N2.If this is so, then the development at Hardkernel is staffed with completely wrong employees, because I can not develop a product without first binding the Lieferbarkeit my components contractually ,
But it's just speculation, but it's obvious.

dgbg9615

Unread post by dgbg9615 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:36 am

Another note about the RAM. For both SoCs only 8GB is possible, more is not supported according to data sheet, if 16GB or 32GB works, then no optimal function.
Since Odroid states other statements, this is wrong.

dgbg9615

Unread post by dgbg9615 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:42 am

tmihai20

Unread post by tmihai20 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:46 am

Why you keep posting stuff about your opinion, when some of it (regarding RAM) is wrong? No offence, but this is definitely not the place to post everything you think you know about H2. There were some replies about RAM, manufacturers like HardKernel can choose to have more RAM than what is specified in Intel ARK. Please keep this on topic about H2 being out of stock for now. Posting several consecutive posts is not proper forum behaviour. Edit your post and add information there.

dgbg9615

Unread post by dgbg9615 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:21 pm

My statement about the memory expansion (RAM) comes directly from Intel, the SoC supports only 8GB it can not change odroid, if more RAM than 8GB work so this can not be guaranteed, cause malfunctions or even damage the SoC.
In addition, I do not let me forbid writing about such a bad provider as Odroid, to protect other users from making mistakes, wrong purchases, even if that is not read with pleasure, but it is unfortunately a reality.
Let's see when the next boards will be offered, what is installed by Odroid and who is right.
With the N2, which I have long thought is a fake, I was right, until today Odroid is silent about it, a big plamage.
There are indeed auschon users who see Odroid on a dying branch, you will see.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:25 pm

dgbg9615 wrote:My statement about the memory expansion (RAM) comes directly from Intel, the SoC supports only 8GB it can not change odroid, if more RAM than 8GB work so this can not be guaranteed, cause malfunctions or even damage the SoC.
In addition, I do not let me forbid writing about such a bad provider as Odroid, to protect other users from making mistakes, wrong purchases, even if that is not read with pleasure, but it is unfortunately a reality.
Let's see when the next boards will be offered, what is installed by Odroid and who is right.
With the N2, which I have long thought is a fake, I was right, until today Odroid is silent about it, a big plamage.
There are indeed auschon users who see Odroid on a dying branch, you will see.
Move along.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:58 am

Too much off topic.
This thread is locked. Once we have a firm Gemini Lake production schedule from Intel, we will post a news.

Return to “General Chat”