Project Suggestions

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Project Suggestions

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:49 pm

While I do not know if I will ever find the time to work on them, I wanted to post some project ideas I have:

* GPS Maps
The ODROID-GO expansion port can be used to attach a GPS module. The SD card slot allows large maps to be available off-line as well as trip data logging. I have a prototype of this using a ESP32 devkit.

* Web Radio
The ODROID-GO has bluetooth and wifi. There are already web radio projects for ESP32. It would be cool to adapt one of them specifically for ODROID-GO. An I2S (audio) DAC can also be attached to the GPIO port.

* Automotive OBD2 scan tool
There are many low cost car interfaces available for smartphone use that use Wifi or Bluetooth (both supported by the ODROID-GO). The ODROID-GO could be used to display engine codes and/or log data to the SD card.

Comments or other project suggestions?
crashoverride

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1

Re: Project Suggestions

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:22 am

Tricorder :)
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby rooted » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:13 am

Being the device has all the necessary hardware (less relays) it could be used as a smart thermostat with the weatherboard. Additional monitoring could be done with additional esp32/8266 devices with thermal sensor to each room with an average desired temperature and/or humidity.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:43 pm

Yes, but the display/battery/keypad are overkill for that application
mad_ady

Unread postby rooted » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:26 pm

mad_ady wrote:Yes, but the display/battery/keypad are overkill for that application
I disagree about the display, I don't always want to pull out my phone just to adjust or see the temperature. I like to glance at the thermostat when I walk by to verify humidity or temperature.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:08 pm

I hadn't thought of that.

Here are some wild ideas, likely beyond the capabilities of the device:

1. If the usb stack allows it, emulate a keyboard and mouse, like the rubber ducky (https://hakshop.com/products/usb-rubber-ducky-deluxe) which can be used for penetration testing. Also, if the usb stack allows it become a rndis network card in order to steal some windows credentials (https://www.google.ro/amp/s/www.theregi ... d_laptops/)

2. BT/wifi speaker

3. About a year ago I saw a clip on youtube from defcon/sha2017 (can't remember the name/can't find the link) about a project that launched a tiny embedded microcontroller (don't remember which) which had the IDE deployed in the browser and the user would compile and transmit the code as a wave and would upload it by playing the wave file in the browser with html5. This allowed very low requirements for development - even a kid with a smartphone could do it. Might be an idea if there is an alternate way to push data to the device (e.g. it could run a tiny server that could accept "firmware" from a browser)
4. Firmware loader - once it boots, it could boot to a selection screen where firmwares on sdcard are listed and can be loaded.
mad_ady

Unread postby crashoverride » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:32 pm

The ESP32 does not have USB support like other micro controllers do. An on-board USB-to-serial chip is used to connect to the ESP32 UART the same as a console cable would connect to any other Odroid device. Therefore, the USB port is limited to serial port communication, firmware flashing, and device charging.
crashoverride

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:41 pm

Oh, thanks for clearing that misconception :)
mad_ady

Unread postby Molorius » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:55 am

What usb-to-serial chip does it use? Some boards, like the Arduino Uno, have serial converters that can be reprogrammed to act as different usb devices.

Either way, the extra broken out pins can be used as SPI, I2C, or UART, so you could use an external microcontroller to implement your usb stack.
Molorius

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: C1+, C2, GO

Unread postby lephro » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:11 pm

An Atari Lynx emulator would be cool... hardware should be capable
lephro

languages_spoken: english, german, polish
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby rooted » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:35 pm

lephro wrote:An Atari Lynx emulator would be cool... hardware should be capable
I don't remember the Lynx having any good games.

*edit*
Well California Games was good, Rampage as well.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:55 pm

rooted wrote:I don't remember the Lynx having any good games.

I haven't played a lot, but Raiden or Rampage are rather nice games.
The Lynx had a interesting feature that some games were played 90° angled so you had a longer screen.
I like to look at the "All Games" Channel to get an overview for consoles like that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYBahqZwLus
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby mad_ady » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:17 am

Here's an idea.

The odroid Go has a built-in usb-serial adapter and some gpio pins. This means that you can turn it into a usb-serial adapter and "passthrough" the data from the gpio pins to usb. The code could either poll the gpio pins for data (should be fast enough even for 115200 baud), or maybe react to interrupts and relay the data via usb.

You could then have a usb - serial adapter for free. I realize this may cut into HK's serial adapter sales, but Odroid Go users could get an unexpected serial adapter. I suspect the pins are 3.3V so it would work with C series and most other boards. For XU4 one might get away with a resistive divider on the tx line (go -> xu4). The rx line should be readable as a 1 at 1.8V and you would need to connect only rx/tx/gnd without vcc.

As a bonus you could expose the gpio console via wifi (e.g. netcat to a port) with the esp connected either as a ap or client. This way you could troubleshoot stuck odroids that are difficult to move.

Is this plausible?
(runs away to the patent office)
mad_ady

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:50 am

mad_ady wrote:Is this plausible?

I was going to suggest something similar as a stand alone product in the "ideas" section. An ESP32 based console/device management device could be offered that 1) does USB to console, 2) does Bluetooth to console, and 3) does WiFi to console. It is also possible to connect an ethernet port to an ESP32 for hardwired management. The device should also have a relay or similar so that board power could be turned on/off. This allows the device to monitor and/or reset an Odroid.

The most common need I have during development is to power cycle a board and monitor the console. This little device would allow me to connect to the console and power cycle a board without getting up from my chair.
crashoverride

Unread postby Molorius » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:20 am

I rather enjoy the esp32, so I was excited to see Hardkernel use it in a product. As for some of the hardware ideas:

mad_ady wrote:The code could either poll the gpio pins for data (should be fast enough even for 115200 baud), or maybe react to interrupts and relay the data via usb.

The esp32 supports multiple hardware UART connections which can be on any pin, so it is easily do-able without polling or individual pin interrupts. See the docs: http://esp-idf.readthedocs.io/en/latest/api-reference/peripherals/uart.html.

crashoverride wrote:3) does WiFi to console

I have an interrupt-driven websocket server component written for esp-idf (it needs an overhaul though) that could help with this. Or you can use any of the many Arduino libraries for this. My component can be found here: https://github.com/Molorius/esp32-websocket/.

I am also going to port the Arduino Odroid-Go class to micropython. I'll post it somewhere here when I have the device to test it.
Molorius

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: C1+, C2, GO

Unread postby haricot42 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:49 am

Hi all , just receive my O-GO , what a nice toys !
i was just a little disapointed about the emulators smoothness.
But after reading informations on differents forums and make some tests, I found that the ILI9341 driver ( SPI DISPLAY) was the bottleneck.
Lot of progress have been done with this display ( and this is very impressive )

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/14519/fast-refresh-rates-up-to-60fps-with-an-spi-display-ili9341

juj , release all the modifications he did on github ( may be a day you would read that so thank again )
https://github.com/juj/fbcp-ili9341

I just start digging about that . When some progress will be made , I will give more informations here.
haricot42

ODROIDs: XU4
ODROID-GO

Unread postby agent6 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:22 pm

I have made a Raspberry Pi Robot car in the past and I think it would be cool to use the Odroid-Go as a controller for it. I know how I can send the commands to drive the car but is it possible to send video to the Odroid?
agent6

ODROIDs: odroid-go

Unread postby MobileJAD » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:27 pm

Hello folks I've been following Hard Kernels Odroid for some time and have a small pile of SBC's,
I've been dreaming of putting together a small device about the size of a Raspberry Pi Zero together as a handheld
and I ordered the Odroid Go the moment that I found out about it!
I am not w programmer and I'm not good at soldering small things together, but am I crazy that the Odroid GO
Does not have a headphone connector? How difficult would it be to add one?

Thanks, MobileJAD.
MobileJAD

ODROIDs: Odroid Go, U3, XU3 and XU4. Raspberry Pi, Asus Tinkerboard, Pine Rock64, LattePanda and a Udoo X86.

Unread postby crashoverride » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:01 pm

agent6 wrote:is it possible to send video to the Odroid?

The ESP32 does not have any video codecs. However, you should be able to send it uncompressed 320x240x16bit@30 (4.5MBps) images over wifi.

MobileJAD wrote:Does not have a headphone connector? How difficult would it be to add one?

One option is to use Bluetooth headphones, but this has not been tested yet with the emulators. Its unknown if there is enough computational power available when an emulator is running.

Another option would be to use an I2S DAC on the expansion slot. Maybe something like a miniaturized Boom Bonnet (without speakers) that attaches to the top of the ODROID-GO.
https://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G150067146391

Ideally, I would like to have both options.
crashoverride

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:14 am

@crashoverride: have you considered an IBM PC emulator with DOS? https://hackaday.com/2018/02/26/pc-xt-e ... n-esp8266/
It should run faster on the ESP32, though I don't know how you can map keys to dos keyboard keys...
mad_ady

Unread postby crashoverride » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:14 am

mad_ady wrote:have you considered an IBM PC emulator with DOS?

The computer I would like to port is the C64. However, until we solve the 'what to do about a keyboard' issue, its just a hope for the future.
crashoverride

Unread postby rooted » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:17 am

crashoverride wrote:

The computer I would like to port is the C64. However, until we solve the 'what to do about a keyboard' issue, its just a hope for the future.
Hell yeah
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:33 pm

I'm not sure if C64 is feasible there is ALOT to emulate, and even on the C2 the emulator is running very slow often even laggy.
I've seen C64 on slower boards as well but don't think it's "easy" to emulate only cause it's a very old PC.
ZX81, ZXSpectrum, CPC, or MSX/MSX2 are probably much easier to emulate than the C64.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby StephenJ » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:20 pm

meveric wrote:
rooted wrote:I don't remember the Lynx having any good games.

I haven't played a lot, but Raiden or Rampage are rather nice games.
The Lynx had a interesting feature that some games were played 90° angled so you had a longer screen.
I like to look at the "All Games" Channel to get an overview for consoles like that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYBahqZwLus

These Lynx games got high review scores:
Klax (90° angled)
Warbirds
Slime World
StephenJ

ODROIDs: Odroid Go

Unread postby davidknight247 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:31 pm

lephro wrote:An Atari Lynx emulator would be cool... hardware should be capable

Handy ran at full speed on a 1GHz Igenic JZ4770 so would probably run with slowdown on the esp32.
davidknight247

ODROIDs: Odroid go

Unread postby mad_ady » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:50 pm

Regarding the Serial Console to wifi bridge or gpio to usb adapter: an extra idea might be to display input/output data on the small screen. So, you could use it as a serial console and see the output of the dead device without needing an extra device. You couldn't interact much, but you could at least see the output.
mad_ady

Unread postby rooted » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:22 am

mad_ady wrote:Regarding the Serial Console to wifi bridge or gpio to usb adapter: an extra idea might be to display input/output data on the small screen. So, you could use it as a serial console and see the output of the dead device without needing an extra device. You couldn't interact much, but you could at least see the output.
If you could save backup kernels/boot.ini on SD card each button could run a script to copy the backup to /boot. Different buttons corresponding to different devices.

This would be crazy helpful to those of us who compile our own kernels or often change boot.ini for testing.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:09 am

Not sure if uboot supports reading data through an xmodem/zmodem protocol to send the data... It would make sense if you had to restore a lot of field units that you can't take apart.
mad_ady

Unread postby crashoverride » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:56 am

The ESP32 can act as a SPI slave. This means, in theory, its possible for it to emulate a SPI flash chip that something like N1 would boot from. Since the flash is emulated, its contents can be dynamically changed as desired.
crashoverride

Unread postby minionlights » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:11 am

How about the ability to load user code from the SD card? I'd like to be able to keep the ability to play games while being able to load apps that I write.

Apps I'd Probably Write:
- wifi toys - deauth, auth handshake capture, RSSI for all in-range networks
- Serial Console web-app: use the appropriate level convertors to jack into your old VAX and host a terminal emulator in a web app
- Addressable LED controller: plug in an array of addressable WS2812, WS2801, APA102, etc to write a pattern to the lights
minionlights

ODROIDs: O2,Go

Unread postby rooted » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:17 am

minionlights wrote:How about the ability to load user code from the SD card? I'd like to be able to keep the ability to play games while being able to load apps that I write.

Apps I'd Probably Write:
- wifi toys - deauth, auth handshake capture, RSSI for all in-range networks
- Serial Console web-app: use the appropriate level convertors to jack into your old VAX and host a terminal emulator in a web app
- Addressable LED controller: plug in an array of addressable WS2812, WS2801, APA102, etc to write a pattern to the lights

Potentially loading applications from SD was discussed somewhere, don't have a link handy.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby mad_ady » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:04 pm

It depends on the launcher/springboard. Apparently something extensible/open is in the works
mad_ady

Unread postby EternityForest » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:00 am

I think it's the perfect platform to finally make a multimeter that doesn't suck. Maybe not one that can safely measure 600v, but one that's usable for basic hobby work, and has a logic analyzer/I2C/SPI/UART analyzer/low bandwidth oscilloscope/etc built in.

A fully open test instrument that has a display could really do a lot. 4-20mA meters that can translate to the actual units being measured. RC servo test outputs.

8x8 thermal sensors aren't that expensive, you could put one of those on there. A TVOC sensor measures most common nasty things in the air, and a humidity sensor and barometer tells you how high up you are and how much corrosion protection you need.

Ambient light and sound sensing is also pretty cheap and easy, and a Grove and a Qwiic port lets you use whatever other sensor you want to.

It could be the all-in-one device for on the go testing, the first piece of gear that people just starting out buy, the gadget people get if they think they might need to fix something in the field.

I'm imagining it as something that plugs into the front and extends to cover the back, with the odroid basically being an insert to it, to reduce stress on the connection.

It would be a really big project, but also one that tons of different people could use.
EternityForest

Unread postby hubcapboy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:08 am

If IO support for a player 2 controller was built-in to the factory firmware, It would be a super easy project to use the 10 pin header provided as a replacement for an NES controller plug.
hubcapboy

ODROIDs: ODROID GO

Unread postby jutleys » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:23 am

If the device has Wifi is it possible to do what pocketsprite have done and send games over WiFi ?
jutleys

Unread postby odie » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:52 am

An epub reader would be nice.
odie

languages_spoken: english, german

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:36 pm

odie wrote:An epub reader would be nice.
+1!
Although, you could probably implement only a text reader and convert epub to text with calibre.
mad_ady

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:34 pm

@odie - regarding an epub/text reader - it seems there's already a library handling smooth ttf support for the esp32/ili9341: https://github.com/Bodmer/TFT_eSPI/blob ... /README.md
mad_ady

Unread postby crashoverride » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:45 pm

I think a File Manager would be a good project. Something that allows moving, renaming, copying, deleting files from the SD card. With Bluetooth, it could also allow transferring files between two ODROID-GOs. With WiFI, it could offer file up/download from a PC (built in web server).
crashoverride

Unread postby Kabron » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:02 pm

crashoverride wrote:I think a File Manager would be a good project. Something that allows moving, renaming, copying, deleting files from the SD card.

You forgot to add the main thing - run.
Kabron

ODROIDs: U2, ODROID-GO

Unread postby crashoverride » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:54 am

Kabron wrote:You forgot to add the main thing - run.

The ESP32 is an embedded application processor. It does not have a multitasking OS, shared libraries, or even an executable format (.exe). Programs can only be executed from internal RAM (~400k) or flash (16MB), not PSRAM (4MB) or SD card. An OS would need to be ported to it before it would have the capability to run a program.
crashoverride

Unread postby rooted » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:28 am

Can't some of that be mitigated by using micropython?

Access storage, load python scripts (applications)?
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby crashoverride » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:39 am

The ESP32 can only load/run a single application at a time. MicroPython is an application.
crashoverride

Unread postby lix-alpha » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:25 am

Not really a project:
Skinnable interface or at least more control on the look of the main menu would be nice.
The wavy blue background is kinda ugly. lol

A Project:
I already started another post about that but finding a way to replace the screen with an Oled panel would be cool!
lix-alpha

Unread postby elite84 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:35 pm

crashoverride wrote:
MobileJAD wrote:Does not have a headphone connector? How difficult would it be to add one?

One option is to use Bluetooth headphones, but this has not been tested yet with the emulators. Its unknown if there is enough computational power available when an emulator is running.

Another option would be to use an I2S DAC on the expansion slot. Maybe something like a miniaturized Boom Bonnet (without speakers) that attaches to the top of the ODROID-GO.
https://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G150067146391

Ideally, I would like to have both options.

I was just looking around for something like this! It would be really cool to connect bluetooth headphones to the odroid-GO!
elite84

ODROIDs: Odroid GO

Unread postby mad_ady » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:23 pm

Well, this is new - spam link hidden in a dot... Who in their right mind would click on it?
mad_ady

Unread postby Feaross » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:14 am

I'd like a pocket Wifi & NAS / FTP. I Think many of us have a largely unused SD card.
The radio idea is also very cool.
Feaross

ODROIDs: Go / XU4

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:09 am

Performance would be rather low for a wifi nas. A couple of MB/s would be considered great due to low ram/cpu. Though I've seen iperf can do better.
mad_ady

Unread postby Nemo1984 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:54 am

crashoverride wrote:

I have a C64 emulator on my PSP, and hundreds of games just need the joystick, the keyboard being used only to start the game.

A virtual keyboard would do just fine for this purpose. I know I would be plenty happy with that.

Thanks!
Nemo1984

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: Odroid-Go

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:44 pm

Here's something I'd like to use my GO for: a wifi remote!
Maybe when micropython gets a launcher I could put together a mpd remote so that my son can read and select the bedtime story he wants to listen to (emulators are off limits for now).
mad_ady

Return to Projects