Ticking sound

JT Cook
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid Go

Ticking sound

Unread post by JT Cook » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:41 pm

So I am working on making my programs using the Arduino tool and it seems likes everytime I run GO.update(); it ticks the speaker. Even different example programs provided have the ticking sound on the speaker. However if I never call GO.update(), the speaker doesn't tick (however inputs do not work as they rely on this). I even set the speaker volume to 11 and it still ticks. Does anyone know how to make the speaker stop ticking when GO.update() is called?

JT Cook

Re: Ticking sound

Unread post by JT Cook » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:06 am

So I found a work around and some interesting things. First off if you do not call JOY_Y.readAxis(); JOY_X.readAxis(); from ODROID_GO::update() in odroid_go.cpp, you do not get the ticking sound (of course then you cannot use the gamepad). I also noticed that the speaker example did not have the ticking sound. So after doing some testing, if I added this after GO.begin():
GO.Speaker.setVolume(8); //11 silent - 0 full volume?
GO.Speaker.playMusic(m5stack_startup_music, 25000);

It would play the sample sound, then continue to program with no ticking sound. So my current temporary work around is I created my own silent sound as an unsigned char array with just zeros, and it worked. I play this very very very short silent sound, app starts up, no ticking sound, gamepad is usable. I am sure this just a bug somewhere in the Odriod GO Arduino libraries and some variable wasn't set, but for the time being here is a simple fix.

Panoptis
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: odroid-go

Unread post by Panoptis » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:01 am

I'll just leave this here...

Code: Select all

//fix speaker ticking
    pinMode(25, OUTPUT);
    digitalWrite(25, LOW);
https://github.com/hardkernel/ODROID-GO ... C.ino#L163
https://github.com/hardkernel/ODROID-GO ... er.cpp#L11

JT Cook

Unread post by JT Cook » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:46 am

I just tested this and it will mute/disable the speaker. So this method will work, but not so well if you still want to play sounds.

Return to “Arduino Coding Camp”