[OS] Debian Jessie

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

[OS] Debian Jessie

Unread postby meveric » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:11 am

Here's a very minimal Debian Jessie image for the ODROID X2 series.

It's just a headless server image only with user root at the moment. But it has all my repositories included, which allows for easy installation and updates of packages such as Kernel and Headers, or Kodi, or Chromium Browser, or whatever.

The image has my usual setup: means on first boot it's resizing the rootfs partition and configures SSH. It will automatically reboot after the initial setup after which this image is ready to use.
Kernel and headers are already installed if you need to build your own drivers.
A few basic tools such as ntp, htop, mc, vim, wireless-tools, wpasupplicant, setup-odroid and bash-completion are already installed for your convenience.

Download: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/Jes ... -X2.img.xz
Size compressed: 103MB
Size uncompressed: 566 MB

Default Login: root
Default Password: odroid

It's ready to be used as a server image.

How to convert the image into a Desktop image:

The image can easily converted into a full Desktop image looking similar to this:
You can use the preinstalled tool "setup-odroid" to install a Desktop and setup a user for it, or if you want to do it manually you can use the following steps:

update the package lists (if you haven't done yet)
Code: Select all
apt-get update

run tasksel to choose your preferred Desktop environment
please note: not all Desktop Environments are working perfectly on the ODROID, best choises probably are LXDE, and MATE, but XFCE and KDE should works as well.
tasksel

tasksel will take quite some time to download and install all the packages needed for a Desktop image and needs at least 1GB of extra disk space (better 2GB)
afterwards we need to install X11 framebuffer drivers:
apt-get install xf86-video-armsoc-odroid

and for 3D acceleration the Mali GPU drivers
apt-get install mali400-odroid

you also need a fitting xorg.conf for the framebuffer drivers:
cd /etc/X11
wget http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/xorg.conf

If you are a more experienced user instead of tasksel you can always install the packages you want manually and therefore keep the image as slim as you want.

It's also recommended to create a new user account for the Desktop environment and NOT to logon as root.
For example:
adduser odroid

After a reboot you should see a graphical login for your Debian Jessie image.

Once you have a Desktop running you can easily install all the packages available in my repository such as XBMC or Kodi
apt-get install xbmc-odroid
# or
apt-get install kodi-odroid
# install firmware required for hardware decoding in XBMC/Kodi
apt-get install firmware-samsung
mkdir -p /lib/firmware/s5p-mfc
cp /lib/firmware/s5p-mfc.fw /lib/firmware/s5p-mfc-v6.fw  /lib/firmware/s5p-mfc/
or Chromium Browser
apt-get install chromium-browser-odroid
# adding Flash support to Chromium Browser
apt-get install pepperflash-odroid
TVHeadend for live TV in Kodi
apt-get install tvheadend
or arduino for development on arduino boards, ODROID SHOW, and other electronics platforms
apt-get install arduino

I also advice you to install ffmpeg from Debian repository, it's a very good tool to watch and convert videos and well maintained from experienced Debian developers.
Checkout the HOWTO link in my signature to find more packages available in my repository :)

Please note:
Most of the packages available in my repository are X11 based, for example the mali400-odroid package are X11 GPU drivers, or Kodi, is only available for X11, so you need a Desktop environment to use them.
Also, I haven't installed all drivers and firmwares available. If you want to use Wifi Model 4 you might have to install the firmware-ralink package first available on standard Debian repository.

If you find any bugs please let me know.

Hints:
Changing language:
If you install a Desktop environment you should already have keybord-configuration installed, it will ask upon the first installation what keyboard layout it should use.
This configuration is for your X11 Desktop so you have your desired keyboard layout.
For console you need to install console-setup to do the same, so just in case:
apt-get install console-setup keyboard-configuration
dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

should be all that is needed to change your keyboard layout.
You probably want to set timezone as well
dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

CEC support:
apt-get install libcec
# if needed you can also install the cec tools
apt-get install cec-utils

After that you need to add a new udev rule so you can access the CEC device:
echo 'KERNEL=="CEC",SUBSYSTEM=="misc",MODE="0666"' > /etc/udev/rules.d/20-hkl_cec.rules

Hardware Acceleration for Chromium:
Make sure you add these in your Chromium configuration under /etc/chromium.d/ or /etc/chromium-browser/default
export CHROMIUM_FLAGS="$CHROMIUM_FLAGS --use-gl=egl --ignore-gpu-blacklist --disable-accelerated-2d-canvas --num-raster-threads=4 --audio-buffer-size=4096"
Last edited by meveric on Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Re: [OS] Debian Jessie

Unread postby odroid » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:28 pm

Thank you for supporting our old X2 board.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby meveric » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:48 am

I'm thinking about porting it to the ODROID X as well.. After all it's just exchanging Kernel/Headers and boot.scr :)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby odroid » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:44 pm

Great news for even older original ODROID-X! ;)
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby adrianer » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:20 pm

meveric wrote:I'm thinking about porting it to the ODROID X as well.. After all it's just exchanging Kernel/Headers and boot.scr :)

I'd also be happy if you could do that, as then I could finally upgrade my X away from Wheezy :)
adrianer

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-X
Odroid-C1

Unread postby meveric » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:45 pm

:)
ok I'll do that later on. Probably tonight or at the weekend. Let's see when I have time for it.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:18 am

well, as promised: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19281
meveric

Unread postby adrianer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:27 am

Thank you very much! :D
adrianer

ODROIDs: Odroid-X
Odroid-C1

Unread postby Julius » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:13 pm

Any chance you could provide php7 with this? I would like to run an owncloud9 server on my old x2 and php7 is probably a lot faster. Thanks for the support!
Julius

ODROIDs: X2

Unread postby Julius » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:15 am

Have you played with the recent X2 kernel work as outlined here:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3691&p=135912

Would be awesome to be able to use a newer kernel.
Julius

Unread postby meveric » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:12 am

Julius wrote:Any chance you could provide php7 with this? I would like to run an owncloud9 server on my old x2 and php7 is probably a lot faster. Thanks for the support!

I played around with it a little but couldn't get it to compile correctly yet. (At least the Debian packages) It might work using the packages directly, but I'm busy with other things at the moment so I couldn't look into it more. I'll get back to it when I have more time.

Julius wrote:Have you played with the recent X2 kernel work as outlined here:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3691&p=135912

Would be awesome to be able to use a newer kernel.

I know of this, but haven't followed it in a while. Some time ago he announced that basically only MFC was missing, so a couple months later I asked if there was any progress on the MFC topic, and got told to stop asking questions, I will get blocked (was the first time I asked a question about this). So I didn't bother much about it anymore. MFC is required for Video acceleration without Kodi won't work very well.
Also he uses tons of custom drivers which makes nearly all standard drivers obsolete you use to run default X2 images.
I don't think it's worth it at the moment. And I don't have the time to do tons of testing only to figure out in the end that some parts do no longer work which were working before.

If I have a lot of time and don't know anything better to do I might check into the project, but right now it's too much trouble for me and I don' have the time or patience to deal with it.

4.x might be interesting for a server image, but for a full desktop image I don't think it's working stable enough right now. I might at some point create a new Kernel image for this Kernel and see if it works at all without changing everything every couple weeks, but as I said, that will take some time.
meveric

Unread postby Julius » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:09 pm

Understandable (both topics).

I'll probably try the php7 packages sometimes soon and will report the finding back here, but it is highly appreciated if you are looking into it also!
Julius

Unread postby LiquidAcid » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:48 pm

meveric wrote:Also he uses tons of custom drivers which makes nearly all standard drivers obsolete you use to run default X2 images.

Huh, which custom drivers are you referring to?
LiquidAcid

Unread postby meveric » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:50 pm

your exynos-drm builds for example.
meveric

Unread postby LiquidAcid » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:17 pm

meveric wrote:your exynos-drm builds for example.

Can you point to what you mean by that? I don't provide any kind of builds.

The only custom driver in the tree is Mali, which makes it exactly one driver.
LiquidAcid

Unread postby Julius » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:19 am

Any chance you could add some basic wifi networking things to it? I am facing the problem that I don't have a wired network in my house and even though I installed the firmwares all the other tools for connecting to a wifi-network from the terminal are missing and hard to install without network access.
Julius

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:32 pm

It's on a to-do list but I haven't got around it yet. I'll see that I can update the image when I'm back from my vacation.
meveric

Unread postby Julius » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:20 pm

Any chance now for a small update to the image with the terminal wifi tools? Thanks a lot!
Julius

Unread postby meveric » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:37 am

I'll think about it.. could fix some other things with it I guess.. let's see how much time i have tomorrow.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Fri May 19, 2017 5:44 pm

Update:
  • I've updated the base image and included drivers so apt via HTTPS works out of the box.
  • I also pre-installed setup-odroid which allows you to install Kodi or Desktop easily.
  • I was also asked to include Wifi tools to setup wifi from command line, these are pre-installed now was well.
  • SSH was changed to allow root login via password
meveric

Return to Other OS