Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Xavier76
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid Go / Odriod Advance / XU3
Been thanked: 0

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by Xavier76 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV9WWuCespA
^There's a decent sound track , especially the opening title song which is missing in the video
https://youtu.be/e6AG19bUPjQ?si=P4Vk-QlcVqHHfJYo&t=94

The tempos too slow, sounds like it's playing the wrong notes or they are out of tune, makes crackling sound frequently missing some parts of the track/instruments?

https://youtu.be/yhFCiZIcjgE?si=VGkbjMWBUw7LiVdc&t=3
Actually it's almost passable in many the simpler MSX1 games, but listen to the the level one song Cyndi Lauper the Goonies are good enough.

Edit#1 playing around with the system hardware & ram can help a lot

Edit#2: I'm updating to your latest build db613
Oh you changed the folders for where the bios need to be kept again

not seeing much difference

Just saying I don't remember it having as many problems on the other MSX firmware versions before.

It's like the turbo-grafx too, the sound still needs more work on that as well.
I just put the speaker at 10%

Save states for Coleco are broken, have been for awhile now too.
Reverted to ver 1.4 was broken then too
ver 1.38.1 save states worked!

Startup compatibility for Coleco still seems down too.

Sorry for making you repeat yourself about bluetooth headsets & MP3 player.
I saw in the thread earlier were it was brought up, thought it was a different player because I noticed it from a different thread.
No I'm not sure a keyboard is needed for the MSX I just plan on gaming with it (not using it as an actual computer) , I bet the the virtual one is good enough.

Thanks again for all you do!
You are doing great work and I for one appreciate you!
It's almost to that point were this is the all in one solution and you pretty much never need to go into the firmware menu again!
:D :P :mrgreen: :) ;) :D :P :mrgreen: :) ;) :D :P :mrgreen: :) ;)

I just got another ESP32 in the mail recently it has a 2.8 built in screen and also goes by the alias cheap yellow display
I'm trying to figure out how to use it right now, first thing will be to try to get your custom firmware for others on it!
It seems to have a huge community surrounding it at the moment.
It doesn't seem to much in the way for inputs though (2). So far they've just connected a Nintendo WIi nunchuck to it and that's all.
That's a part of why I was wondering if that controller/keyboard program would be of any use.
You know whats crazy is they have some vertical MAME games working on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p29Yvht4jSI
https://github.com/harbaum/galagino

ducalex
languages_spoken: english, french

Post by ducalex »

Thanks I'll check what the other fMSX port is doing that I'm not when it comes to audio. I glanced at the code and I think we both use unmodified fMSX so it must be something fairly obvious. Edit: Interesting, he runs audio on the second core. I think I'll do the same, that would certainly fix the occasional crackling at the very least.

I didn't know that save states were broken in Coleco as of 1.40, I'll look into it :) I'll double check SMS and SG1 as well as they use the same save state code...

I also didn't know about galagino, it does look awesome!

Xavier76

Post by Xavier76 »

ducalex wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:03 am
Thanks I'll check what the other fMSX port is doing that I'm not when it comes to audio. I glanced at the code and I think we both use unmodified fMSX so it must be something fairly obvious. Edit: Interesting, he runs audio on the second core. I think I'll do the same, that would certainly fix the occasional crackling at the very least.

I didn't know that save states were broken in Coleco as of 1.40, I'll look into it :) I'll double check SMS and SG1 as well as they use the same save state code...

I also didn't know about galagino, it does look awesome!
Just flashed the 65eed firmware, night and day. (as far as MSX sound goes)
Much better. Maybe knowing my way around it helps, but almost there... maybe just a couple more little tweaks.

Yeah save states seem to work for all the over systems, weird.

ducalex
languages_spoken: english, french

Post by ducalex »

Xavier76 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:08 am
Much better. Maybe knowing my way around it helps, but almost there... maybe just a couple more little tweaks.

I fixed Coleco saves. I'd like to polish the MSX experience a little bit and then release 1.41 soon.

I think the main problem remaining might be controls. Multi-disks games are also annoying to use but I won't fix that for 1.41...

Currently you can select keyboard emulation (A => Space, B => Enter) or joystick emulation. With virtual keyboard always available. Do you have suggestions on how to improve controls so that most games are playable?

I have also freed the START button so we can assign it to anything, any ideas?
These users thanked the author ducalex for the post:
Xavier76 (Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:02 am)

Xavier76

Post by Xavier76 »

I don't know controls seem fine on MSX I'll play around with them in a bit, and multidisk and cart games as well.

I updated to the newest build 0def or something the menu/icons looks much nicer but they are flashing lights rapidly and it feels like its going to give me seizures... very annoying, so I'm not playing around with it much. I tried changing the menu options and nothing seemed to help.

Xavier76

Post by Xavier76 »

ducalex wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:34 am
Xavier76 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:08 am

I fixed Coleco saves. I'd like to polish the MSX experience a little bit and then release 1.41 soon.

I think the main problem remaining might be controls. Multi-disks games are also annoying to use but I won't fix that for 1.41...

Currently you can select keyboard emulation (A => Space, B => Enter) or joystick emulation. With virtual keyboard always available. Do you have suggestions on how to improve controls so that most games are playable?

I have also freed the START button so we can assign it to anything, any ideas?

Ok I see what your talking about now. (MSX start button/menu)
Please bring that MSX menu back, you need it for a lot of the options.

Oh you put it on the bottom of options for your menu.
I don't know, its a well used item.. it was handy just having it at the push of a button.

The launcher menu is still flashing.

Return to “Game Emulators”