Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

ducalex
languages_spoken: english, french

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by ducalex »

yuda00 wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:58 pm
Hi! Reporting that with the lastest fw, my copy of Link's Awakening DX (Rev A,B, or 1.2) does not appear in the GBC gamelist. Also Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 - Cobi's Journey and a patched version of Tales of Phantasia Nariki Dungeon. I think there are some more too.
Can you tell me the exact file names including extension and the number of ROMs in that folder? Thanks!

yuda00
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by yuda00 »

ducalex wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:52 am
yuda00 wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:58 pm
Hi! Reporting that with the lastest fw, my copy of Link's Awakening DX (Rev A,B, or 1.2) does not appear in the GBC gamelist. Also Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 - Cobi's Journey and a patched version of Tales of Phantasia Nariki Dungeon. I think there are some more too.
Can you tell me the exact file names including extension and the number of ROMs in that folder? Thanks!

Sure, these are located in the folder but do not appear in the menu. All of them in .gbc
Dragon Warrior Monsters (USA, Europe) (SGB Enhanced) (GB Compatible)
Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 - Cobi's Journey (USA) (SGB Enhanced)
Legend of the River King 2 (USA) (SGB Enhanced) (GB Compatible)
Legend of the River King GB (USA) (SGB Enhanced) (GB Compatible)
Legend of Zelda, The - Link's Awakening DX (U) (V1.2) [!]
Tales of Phantasia - Narikiri Dungeon (Japan) (SGB Enhanced) (eng patched)
Legend of Zelda, The - Link's Awakening DX (USA, Europe) (Rev A) (SGB Enhanced)
Legend of Zelda, The - Link's Awakening DX (USA, Europe) (Rev B) (SGB Enhanced
Mortal Kombat 4 (USA, Europe) (SGB Enhanced) (GB Compatible)
Power Quest (USA) (En,Fr,De,Es,It) (SGB Enhanced) (GB Compatible)
Quest for Camelot (USA) (En,Fr,Es) (SGB Enhanced) (GB Compatible)
Roswell Conspiracies - Aliens, Myths & Legends (USA) (En,Fr,De)

The gbc folder have 79 roms, only 67 appears in the menu. They appear in 1.31 fw though.

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

yuda00 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:27 am
Sure, these are located in the folder but do not appear in the menu. All of them in .gbc
[...]
The gbc folder have 79 roms, only 67 appears in the menu. They appear in 1.31 fw though.
Thanks, there was a length limit of about 56-57 without the extension, I have increased the limit for the next release :) . For the time being if you use shorter names, they will reappear in the list.

yuda00
Has thanked: 0

Post by yuda00 »

ducalex wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:43 pm
yuda00 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:27 am
[...]
Thanks, there was a length limit of about 56-57 without the extension, I have increased the limit for the next release :) . For the time being if you use shorter names, they will reappear in the list.
Ohh nice! Got it. Thanks!
Btw, is it possible to implement a sort of gameboy color palette filters? or like saturation controls?

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

yuda00 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:05 pm
Ohh nice! Got it. Thanks!
Btw, is it possible to implement a sort of gameboy color palette filters? or like saturation controls?
Yeah I noticed some emulators have that option to better simulate OG hardware. Might be interesting, definitely possible!

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

New release: Retro-Go 1.35.1 is now available! Download via top post or github.

Changes since 1.34:
- SNES: New Snes9x port (based on 2005 version) with sound! (still very slow)
- GEN: Improved compatibility / updated from bzhxx's upstream
- GW: Added Game & Watch emulator by bzhxx
- Lynx: Fixed crash when opening options menu
- Launcher: Added web file manager
- Launcher: Added network time sync
- Launcher: Increased max filename length to ~72 characters
- All: Fixed some crash recovery issues
- Releases are now built with esp-idf 4.3

Notes about this release:
1. Some of your settings will be reset (save states and favorites are not affected)
2. BIOS files must be moved from /retro-go/system to /retro-go/bios
3. Info about the new wifi features can be found here: https://github.com/ducalex/retro-go/tree/master#wifi

Note: The .1 in 1.35.1 is a last minute fix to pce savestates thanks to ddrsoul, you did not miss 1.35.
These users thanked the author ducalex for the post (total 4):
odroid (Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:10 am) • Hensch (Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:30 am) • Cralex (Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:42 pm) • jafox (Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:01 am)

Hensch
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1+ with HifiShield 2, C2, GO

Post by Hensch »

That's a really nice update. This makes it the most complete firmware of the Odroid GO. It makes me wish to have a music player in there as I may use it to upload mp3/flac music and have to change the firmware afterwards. ;) Maybe it could be combined mith a module player to hear some game tracks.

Cralex
ODROIDs: Odroid Go

Post by Cralex »

Really, really loving the new update! I never thought I'd actually play SNES on the ODG, but it's actually speedy enough (with the new sound turned off ;) ) to play some simple games. The file manager is easy to use (wifi client mode for the win!) and seems to be very robust. Some of my large ROM directories would make the old wireless transfer firmware I used to use freeze up, but Retro-Go's implementation simply needs to think longer and then it just works. I've got a couple questions/wish list-y things about the new features in the update. Please take everything with no pressure at all. :)

1. How hard/performance-impacting would it be to add additional wireless networks? Maybe having a few "slots" for different networks would be an option for the user to select in settings, if it works best to only scan for one network at a time.
2. Is the new NTP feature used to set modified time in files? If so, it would be great to start showing this in the wireless file browser to make it easy to see when saved games were modified for backup purposes and such.
3. For the game and watch player, is it like on the Game and Watch branch of retro-go where they need to be compiled somehow, like with https://github.com/bzhxx/LCD-Game-Shrinker?

It's cool to see that, with the wifi file browser, Retro-Go now has all the important features of the ESP32 Mini Game Box... I got a toolchain working a few versions ago and tried tinkering around with a few things (using the MRGC port as an example) to see if I could get a halfway port booting, but the modified firmware I made was "dirty" or something and wouldn't flash so I gave up.

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

Cralex wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:52 pm
1. How hard/performance-impacting would it be to add additional wireless networks? Maybe having a few "slots" for different networks would be an option for the user to select in settings, if it works best to only scan for one network at a time.
That was suggested by ddrsoul and I agree. I don't know if it will be automatic, but there will be a dialog to select "Off" / "Access Point" / "Network 1" / "Network 2" / etc.
Cralex wrote:
2. Is the new NTP feature used to set modified time in files? If so, it would be great to start showing this in the wireless file browser to make it easy to see when saved games were modified for backup purposes and such.
Done. Time is (mostly) monotonic in retro-go so even without NTP it is still useful to see the most recent files. I'll add sorting to the table eventually.
Cralex wrote:
3. For the game and watch player, is it like on the Game and Watch branch of retro-go where they need to be compiled somehow, like with https://github.com/bzhxx/LCD-Game-Shrinker?
Yes, it is that exact same process and format. Someone compiled a bunch of games and shared them in a github issue on retro-go. I don't know if it's still up (copyright and such) but you can look it up.
Cralex wrote:
It's cool to see that, with the wifi file browser, Retro-Go now has all the important features of the ESP32 Mini Game Box... I got a toolchain working a few versions ago and tried tinkering around with a few things (using the MRGC port as an example) to see if I could get a halfway port booting, but the modified firmware I made was "dirty" or something and wouldn't flash so I gave up.
Dirty is fine it just means you modified files in the git repository. If it refused to flash it then it probably just means the .fw format wasn't correct. The format selection is controlled by line 134 in rg_tool.py, you can try adding or removing your new target from that list to toggle format. If that doesn't help then send me the original firmware file and I should be able to figure out the format and add support :).
These users thanked the author ducalex for the post:
Cralex (Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:55 pm)

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

Hensch wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:42 am
That's a really nice update. This makes it the most complete firmware of the Odroid GO. It makes me wish to have a music player in there as I may use it to upload mp3/flac music and have to change the firmware afterwards. ;) Maybe it could be combined mith a module player to hear some game tracks.
Funny, I was experimenting with a music player just a few days ago :) I'll probably support at least mp3 in the future, but ogo-shell supports a lot more format so it's still a better choice to use as a music player.

Cralex

Post by Cralex »

ducalex wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:43 am
Dirty is fine it just means you modified files in the git repository. If it refused to flash it then it probably just means the .fw format wasn't correct. The format selection is controlled by line 134 in rg_tool.py, you can try adding or removing your new target from that list to toggle format. If that doesn't help then send me the original firmware file and I should be able to figure out the format and add support :).
You mean the one I built, right? (not the device's OG firmware binaries or source code from the seller's website?) I'll see if I still have it, although there have been a few new releases since then so I may as well update. Also, the IDF I have working is 4.1, so I don't know if that matters or not since you've moved to 4.3.3. I honestly have NO idea what I'm doing, just plugging in screen resolution from the product page and trying other values to see if anything sticks.

The game box's OG firmware does include a fairly nice music player that supports multiple formats, (MP3, M4A, WAV, FLAC, and OGG that I've tested) but I don't know how hard it would be to include it or if there would be any license issues or anything like that.

Edit: I think you might be onto something with choosing a different target as a basis for the GBM port. I tried making my edits to the MRGC target and I was able to build something that flashes... To a black screen. Progress!

Edit 2: The aforementioned music player, and perhaps the GBM firmware itself, appears to be descended from this project: https://github.com/pebri86/esplay-retro-emulation

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

Cralex wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:38 pm
You mean the one I built, right? (not the device's OG firmware binaries or source code from the seller's website?) I'll see if I still have it, although there have been a few new releases since then so I may as well update. Also, the IDF I have working is 4.1, so I don't know if that matters or not since you've moved to 4.3.3. I honestly have NO idea what I'm doing, just plugging in screen resolution from the product page and trying other values to see if anything sticks.
No I meant the original from the vendor. But if you got it to flash then there's no need anymore :). Your device uses the esplay .fw format, so your target needs to be listed in the line I mentioned (or you can use mrgc-g32 which is already there). You also need to build with --target=mrgc-g32 (or whatever).

I'm assuming you'll have some GPIO changes and the LCD init code won't be the same so you'll have to figure that out (or find it in the vendor's source code, if you have it). I don't know if you got serial working but that's the first thing I'd do, it will be VERY frustrating to get a new target going without a debug log! (I don't know if the mini device has a usb-to-serial chip in it already?)

Esp-idf 4.1 is fine and supported by retro-go but I personally only test with 4.3 now. If it works for you then no need to change :) .

Cralex

Post by Cralex »

Well, it appears as "USB Serial CH340" under windows when plugged in (looks like the esplay also can be interfaced with via a CH340 driver) so I'm guessing there's some way to get serial output. As for the source code, it appears to be linked in the firmware download for the GBA ESP32 on the vendor's website (https://www.myretrogamecase.com/pages/r ... g-firmware) along with a few binaries. However, the source code archive is a bit of a rats nest, at least to my untrained eye. Not only does it contain more firmware binaries, it also seems to have some or all of the build environment used to build it and a bunch of stuff that might be leftover from the esplay repo it was forked from. I'm guessing everything needed to port retro-go is in there somewhere, but the fun part will be finding it.

If I make any more progress on the Mini Game Box I'll put it on github to keep from clogging up this thread. :)

rcarillion
ODROIDs: ODROID GO

Post by rcarillion »

Wifi file browser with Access Point and extra network slots would make Retro-Go even more awesome. :D
These users thanked the author rcarillion for the post:
Cralex (Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:35 pm)

Hensch
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1+ with HifiShield 2, C2, GO

Post by Hensch »

ducalex wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:46 am
Funny, I was experimenting with a music player just a few days ago :) I'll probably support at least mp3 in the future, but ogo-shell supports a lot more format so it's still a better choice to use as a music player.
Yes I know, but in my opinion the ogo-shell is missing some features. I'd really love to have Status bar, playback time, fast forward, repeat/shuffle, playback of all containing subfolders and resume after power off/on. Maybe there are some more things which are nice to have. What I like on ogo-shell is the multiformat support, the DAC support and the screen blank option to save battery. Maybe you think about it and combine these features to make a really good player. MP3 only support would be ok.

KD-MM2
languages_spoken: english, japanese, vietnamese
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO

Post by KD-MM2 »

Hi, thanks for hard working. Do you have any plan about developing multiplayer in nes? I was DIY 2 Custom Odroid-Go, 1 for me and one for my bf, So I think it could be more great if Retro-Go support for multiplayer(nes).
I would like to buy you a coffee, do you have Paypal?

kelbot
ODROIDs: C2, HC2 x2, Go

Post by kelbot »

@ducalex @Hensch The OGNucleo firmware from millim is a MUCH more fully featured music player than ogo-shell. I do like that ogo-shell plays more formats but with not having any control over how the playback works is a bummer. OGNucleo is very nice and has shuffle, repeat, bluetooth headphone support, equalizer etc. With the multi-firmware it's really easy to switch between OGNucleo and Retro-Go.

viewtopic.php?f=162&t=42758

kelbot

Post by kelbot »

Also, ducalex, I have found a GB game that freezes and I think you missed my comment about it a little while back. Do you prefer that I open a github issue rather than commenting here?

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

KD-MM2 wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:44 am
Hi, thanks for hard working. Do you have any plan about developing multiplayer in nes? I was DIY 2 Custom Odroid-Go, 1 for me and one for my bf, So I think it could be more great if Retro-Go support for multiplayer(nes).
I tried getting netplay to work a few years back but it didn't work very well, it would always eventually get out of sync and there were performance issues. But I'm a lot more familiar with the esp32 now, maybe I will try again some time :) . The netplay code is still in retro-go but I doubt it builds anymore. Cool looking devices btw!
KD-MM2 wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:44 am
I would like to buy you a coffee, do you have Paypal?
I don't accept donations at this time but thank you I appreciate the gesture!
These users thanked the author ducalex for the post:
KD-MM2 (Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:07 am)

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

kelbot wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:10 pm
Also, ducalex, I have found a GB game that freezes and I think you missed my comment about it a little while back. Do you prefer that I open a github issue rather than commenting here?
It's possible I missed it (sorry if I did). The last game I added to my list was Daedalian Opus but I haven't looked into it yet. Reports here or on github is fine by me (but I guess github makes it harder to miss/forget...)

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

Cralex wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:04 am
Well, it appears as "USB Serial CH340" under windows when plugged in (looks like the esplay also can be interfaced with via a CH340 driver) so I'm guessing there's some way to get serial output.
After retro-go is flashed for the first time, you should be able to use the command `rg_tool.py --port=XXX --target=mrgc-g32 run launcher` which will build + flash + and open a serial console for you, making it easy to quickly iterate on code changes.
Cralex wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:04 am
If I make any more progress on the Mini Game Box I'll put it on github to keep from clogging up this thread. :)
Feel free to PM me or open an issue on github. I don't have time to do the port myself right now but I certainly can offer some assistance.

kelbot

Post by kelbot »

ducalex wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:18 am
kelbot wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:10 pm
It's possible I missed it (sorry if I did). The last game I added to my list was Daedalian Opus but I haven't looked into it yet. Reports here or on github is fine by me (but I guess github makes it harder to miss/forget...)
Daedalian Opus is the one I was referring to so I guess you didn't miss it :). I just didn't see any reply to that message so I didn't know if you saw it. No worries.

Cralex

Post by Cralex »

One day late for Halloween, but I present to you, a franken-firmware. Retro-Go on the GameBox Mini is ALIIIIVE!
IMG_2629.jpg
IMG_2629.jpg (237.86 KiB) Viewed 647 times
IMG_2630.jpg
IMG_2630.jpg (245.96 KiB) Viewed 647 times
Turns out, I only needed to change a single variable (screen type) from my last attempt in order to get a working build. I have a meeting to get to soon, but I’ll start collaborating on getting a release-ready version made when I can. I’m out of my mind with excitement!
These users thanked the author Cralex for the post:
ducalex (Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:59 am)

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

kelbot wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:13 am
Daedalian Opus is the one I was referring to so I guess you didn't miss it :). I just didn't see any reply to that message so I didn't know if you saw it. No worries.
I found the issue but I don't think I can fix it. I could add a game-specific hack, I'm not sure.

micro
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO

Post by micro »

This has come a long way since I last looked at this thread, the progress is amazing! Thanks for your hard work, ducalex!

I really like the network RTC synchronization - I've been meaning to get back to the RTC code for a while now and that will make setting the time on that a lot easier.
I remember I did get everything working at one point with your rg_i2c functions, I just have to find that commit lol. At this point I don't even think an extra library is even necessary.

I also picked up an MRGC-32, I'm looking into modding an RTC into that as well. If I can, I want the RTC chip and the battery to also live in the removable cartridge. I think it's possible - There are a few grounds, a power, and a couple data lines, but the rest of the pads appear to just be floating.

I also have a request if it isn't too much of a pain - do you think support for Wolfenstein 3D / Spear of Destiny could be added at some point? DOOM runs pretty well on this device with all things considered, and since Wolf3D is older I think it could run really well.

Return to “Game Emulators”