Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

morrigan
languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: Odroid Go
Has thanked: 0

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by morrigan »

Hi, thank you so much for continuously working on and improving Retro-Go! You made me pick up my Go back and now it's my preferred way to play NES and GB games. The new bilinear filter in particular is miles ahead of the one included with the stock emulator.
I have been playing fan-translated Lagrange Point and the game inevitably hangs during the Tam death sequence. I tried reloading from an earlier in-game save and the result is always the same. Not sure if I can report this as a bug or not, but there it is. Let me know if I can upload the savefile for you or if I can generate a crash log somehow.

ducalex
languages_spoken: english, french

Post by ducalex »

Oh, the forum is back! I uploaded 1.29.1 just before the forum went down. It fixes all the issues reported in 1.29. (I will attach it to the top post a bit later as well.)

morrigan wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:38 am
Hi, thank you so much for continuously working on and improving Retro-Go! You made me pick up my Go back and now it's my preferred way to play NES and GB games. The new bilinear filter in particular is miles ahead of the one included with the stock emulator.
I have been playing fan-translated Lagrange Point and the game inevitably hangs during the Tam death sequence. I tried reloading from an earlier in-game save and the result is always the same. Not sure if I can report this as a bug or not, but there it is. Let me know if I can upload the savefile for you or if I can generate a crash log somehow.
Glad you enjoy it :). Sure, I can look into it. I need the save state from just before the issue and instructions to trigger it. Does the emulator itself freeze (can't open the menu, maybe a "Application unresponsive" dialog) or just the gameplay?

morrigan
languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: Odroid Go

Post by morrigan »

Thank you! Here's the save - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a6MD9Z ... sp=sharing
You just need to go forward and let the cutscene play out. By the way, I play on the latest 1.29.1 version.
Emulator itself doesn't freeze, just the game itself. Could very well be the issue with the patched ROM that I'm using.
These users thanked the author morrigan for the post:
ducalex (Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:38 am)

orzeus
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID-Go

Post by orzeus »

Hi Ducalex,

Any chance you can implement MMC3 or similar mapper with some banks assigned to CHR RAM and the rest to CHR ROM for the nes?
https://wiki.nesdev.org/w/index.php?tit ... nd_CHR_RAM
Like : https://wiki.nesdev.org/w/index.php?tit ... Mapper_074.
It's only a slight difference from mapper04.

Thanks.

BellyUp
Been thanked: 0

Post by BellyUp »

Hi Ducalex,
did you notice some issue with sprites after the last pce core changes?Mainly when it flips them. Could you check if Atomic Robo-Kid is ok for you?

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

morrigan wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:03 am
You just need to go forward and let the cutscene play out. By the way, I play on the latest 1.29.1 version.
Emulator itself doesn't freeze, just the game itself. Could very well be the issue with the patched ROM that I'm using.
Thanks, I will check soon. It's most likely an issue with retro-go if it works in other emulators/everdrive :).

BellyUp wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:52 am
did you notice some issue with sprites after the last pce core changes?Mainly when it flips them. Could you check if Atomic Robo-Kid is ok for you?
I haven't touched PCE in a while. Can you tell me the last version of retro-go that worked correctly (if any)?

orzeus wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:06 am
Any chance you can implement MMC3 or similar mapper with some banks assigned to CHR RAM and the rest to CHR ROM for the nes?
I've implemented what is described in the first note on the 074 page. I don't have any ROM to test right now but I'm attaching a build if you want to try! There's a lot of subtle differences across these mappers so I can't implement everything but let me know of any specific game that doesn't work and I'll implement at least these ones.
Attachments
retro-go_1.29.1-3-gd60e7_odroid-go.zip
Added support for mappers 74,119,176,191,192,194,195 (maybe).
(2.06 MiB) Downloaded 16 times
These users thanked the author ducalex for the post:
orzeus (Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:53 pm)

orzeus
ODROIDs: ODROID-Go

Post by orzeus »

I've implemented what is described in the first note on the 074 page. I don't have any ROM to test right now but I'm attaching a build if you want to try! There's a lot of subtle differences across these mappers so I can't implement everything but let me know of any specific game that doesn't work and I'll implement at least these ones.
My friend's child has borrowed my ODROID Go, I'll try when I take back.
Here some nes files you can test in development.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UBiP2A ... sp=sharing

Thank you!
These users thanked the author orzeus for the post:
ducalex (Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:47 am)

BellyUp

Post by BellyUp »

BellyUp wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:52 am
I haven't touched PCE in a while. Can you tell me the last version of retro-go that worked correctly (if any)?
I think is after the performance improvements:

before:

now:

Thoko

Post by Thoko »

Any news About Super Game Boy support?

BellyUp

Post by BellyUp »

Hi Ducalex, I think I have a fix for the graphical issue with the PCE flipped sprites, check my repo:
https://github.com/Macs75/retro-go-stm3 ... e-go/gfx.c

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

BellyUp wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:21 am
Hi Ducalex, I think I have a fix for the graphical issue with the PCE flipped sprites, check my repo:
https://github.com/Macs75/retro-go-stm3 ... e-go/gfx.c
I think you linked the wrong thing but this one certainly looks good! I haven't tested your changes yet but pce.c and h6280 are clearly fixing valid issues in my code so I have faith that your gfx.c is equally valid :). Do you prefer I copy the change directly or do you want to make a pull request so that you'll be listed as contributor?

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

Thoko wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:27 am
Any news About Super Game Boy support?
No progress. Palettes commands are supported but nothing else is implemented. Some games do work and have enhanced palettes but most games also try to access other SGB features and they crash when they can't, so I have to disable SGB support altogether. I haven't found a way of just supporting the enhanced palettes while ignoring the other graphical/audio enhancements.

If you know of emulators that support partial SGB enhancement please let me know, I can look at their code for clues on how it could be doable...

BellyUp

Post by BellyUp »

ducalex wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:58 am
I think you linked the wrong thing but this one certainly looks good! I haven't tested your changes yet but pce.c and h6280 are clearly fixing valid issues in my code so I have faith that your gfx.c is equally valid :). Do you prefer I copy the change directly or do you want to make a pull request so that you'll be listed as contributor?
I think is better if you integrate yourself, as I did not fork directly your repo, but the one I use on my Game & Watch (STM32) that uses yours as base to port the same emulators, but is a bit behind with the commits. Better tests that everything works fine also on the odroid, as I don't have the device. Thank you again for your fantastic work, is giving life to other devices too!

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

BellyUp wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:55 am
I think is better if you integrate yourself, as I did not fork directly your repo, but the one I use on my Game & Watch (STM32) that uses yours as base to port the same emulators, but is a bit behind with the commits. Better tests that everything works fine also on the odroid, as I don't have the device. Thank you again for your fantastic work, is giving life to other devices too!
That's what I figured, It's probably difficult to do PRs via github with forks of forks. I've merged the changes and I'll credit you in the changelog instead! I haven't followed your project very closely but I'm honoured that you guys chose retro-go as a starting point for your G&W hacking :). If you think of other changes that you've made that would make sense to have upstream I'd be happy to integrate them as well :). And thanks for taking the time to share back your PCE fix ;).

BellyUp

Post by BellyUp »

ducalex wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:45 am
That's what I figured, It's probably difficult to do PRs via github with forks of forks. I've merged the changes and I'll credit you in the changelog instead! I haven't followed your project very closely but I'm honoured that you guys chose retro-go as a starting point for your G&W hacking :). If you think of other changes that you've made that would make sense to have upstream I'd be happy to integrate them as well :). And thanks for taking the time to share back your PCE fix ;).
I don't think there were any change in the emulators, just the UI for things needed by the device, but I can check. I came recently into the project and tried to align the pce after you changed name to the emulator and renamed some files. Unfortunately the emulator suffer from some problems that exist from the origin (if you take Coryoin game rom you will notice that the background does not scroll, but it's like that also in the original emulator). It also does not support supergrafx roms. Do you think that would be possible to use mednafen emulator as a base instead? That has a lot of modules for different consoles that are a lot better emulation wise.

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

BellyUp wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:26 am
It also does not support supergrafx roms. Do you think that would be possible to use mednafen emulator as a base instead? That has a lot of modules for different consoles that are a lot better emulation wise.
It wouldn't be too difficult to add supergrafx support to pce-go but it would be quite slow and there's no way that it would run at all on the Game and Watch. I think time is better spent improving tgfx emulation. It's true that huexpress wasn't the most accurate emulator to begin with. In fact it is quite glitchy and incomplete. But I'm sure many of the current glitches are the result of my own heavy changes :).

Mednafen/beetle could run on the GO with heavy code modifications (we need to reduce its memory usage from ~30MB to ~2MB), it's hard to say how well it would run before trying it. I have big doubts that it would fit on the G&W but please ping me if you do start a port, I might be interested in contributing :).

BellyUp

Post by BellyUp »

ducalex wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:55 am

It wouldn't be too difficult to add supergrafx support to pce-go but it would be quite slow and there's no way that it would run at all on the Game and Watch. I think time is better spent improving tgfx emulation. It's true that huexpress wasn't the most accurate emulator to begin with. In fact it is quite glitchy and incomplete. But I'm sure many of the current glitches are the result of my own heavy changes :).

Mednafen/beetle could run on the GO with heavy code modifications (we need to reduce its memory usage from ~30MB to ~2MB), it's hard to say how well it would run before trying it. I have big doubts that it would fit on the G&W but please ping me if you do start a port, I might be interested in contributing :).
I'd like to have a look to the port made for libretro, where the single cores of mednafen are already separate, so maybe it's easier to cut out what we need and get a smaller footprint.

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

morrigan wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:03 am
Thank you! Here's the save - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a6MD9Z ... sp=sharing
I think I've fixed the freezing issue, see attached build! Let me know if it works because I don't know how to play this game, best I can tell is that now it does *something* instead of freezing :roll: .
Attachments
retro-go_1.29.1-6-g47ea7_odroid-go.zip
VRC7 mapper rewrite
(2.06 MiB) Downloaded 11 times

Funkdoctor
ODROIDs: Go
Advance

Post by Funkdoctor »

on the newest firmware version im having an issue where the os crashes after cycling thru a few consoles. It seems to only happen when going one way

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

Funkdoctor wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:38 am
on the newest firmware version im having an issue where the os crashes after cycling thru a few consoles. It seems to only happen when going one way
Can you provide the crash.log?

Thoko

Post by Thoko »

No progress. Palettes commands are supported but nothing else is implemented. Some games do work and have enhanced palettes but most games also try to access other SGB features and they crash when they can't, so I have to disable SGB support altogether. I haven't found a way of just supporting the enhanced palettes while ignoring the other graphical/audio enhancements.

If you know of emulators that support partial SGB enhancement please let me know, I can look at their code for clues on how it could be doable...
[/quote]

Mgba core, john gbc, my oldboy, pizzaboy for example

BellyUp

Post by BellyUp »

ducalex I think you may be interested in the last couple of commits I made for some fixes:
https://github.com/Macs75/retro-go-stm3 ... f964a004c1
(and this one that restores something I wrongly changed in the first one)
https://github.com/Macs75/retro-go-stm3 ... fe25d043ef

the fix the issue with Coryoo and Air Zonk as you can see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzeMHcDPj4U

and here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa5gID7GavI

EDIT: do the youtube tags work in the forum? I can't see them, only blank space.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

@BellyUp,
I can see two embedded youtube videos on Chromium browser.

BellyUp

Post by BellyUp »

odroid wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:05 pm
@BellyUp,
I can see two embedded youtube videos on Chromium browser.
then probably a problem with the linux version of chrome that uses some plugin to display the videos

ddrsoul
ODROIDs: Odroid go

Post by ddrsoul »

Hi ducalex,
On latest release (1.29.1) if you switch audio output to dummy, emulator works very slow (at least gbc). Not sure what is the purpose of dummy output anyway, but still want you to know about this ;)
These users thanked the author ddrsoul for the post:
ducalex (Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:11 am)

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

BellyUp wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:43 pm
ducalex I think you may be interested in the last couple of commits I made for some fixes:
Thanks for sharing! I'm surprised that CSH/CSL were that easy to implement (though I don't think you do the actual throttling?).
I will sync all your changes before I do my monthly release. If you add yourself to the CREDITS file of pce-go I'll also copy that :).

BellyUp

Post by BellyUp »

ducalex wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:11 am

Thanks for sharing! I'm surprised that CSH/CSL were that easy to implement (though I don't think you do the actual throttling?).
I will sync all your changes before I do my monthly release. If you add yourself to the CREDITS file of pce-go I'll also copy that :).
I think I forgot to modify the retro go file that has compare the cycles, it should use the new PCE.Timer.cycles_per_line instead that the constant. I modified the equivalent function that we use but not the one the original code you use in retro go. Will see tomorrow.
Now I was hunting down why the rom PC Denjin 2 is not working, comparing with HuGo 2.11 while instead is working. Can't get around why is not loading correctly the SPRAM and miss sprites already from the intro of the game...

Return to “Game Emulators”