The Arduboy Games Collection

millim
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid GO

The Arduboy Games Collection

Post by millim »

A Tribune to Arduboy and its game developers!

This is The Arduboy Games Collection for the Odroid GO.

Brief Introduction: This project started with the curiosity if the Odroid GO is capable to host multiple Arduboy games in one package. It was fun and it kept me fiddling on the details. It can’t be perfect, but it is good enough to share.

It emerged basically from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=159&t=31730.
But, to keep it better organized, I decided to open a new thread for updates or bug fixes to come ….

At the end of this introduction, you will find the links and details on the firmware releases. It includes a list of Arduboy games. The game name and its copyright owner is listed in the Menu. All credits go to the game programmer and the Arduboy library development team. I just made it available for the Odroid GO.

Brief Manual: After flashing the FW file and reboot, you will enter the game launch menu. You can move <up> and <down> one-by-one or, by <left> and <right> for page up and down. By pressing <A> you can select the game you want to play. You will see “Game Loaded!” text message on the display. By pressing <M> + <B> you can leave menu to start or continue the game. With <M> + <B>, you can enter the game select menu again.

In the Menu, you can move with <MENU>+ cursor pad keys from the Game Select Panel to the Preferences Panel forth and back. The preferences are self explanatory.

In principle you can work without the SDCARD. But, without storing default settings or game status. In case you want to use these features, prepare two folders: "/sd/aby/eeprom" and"/sd/aby/ini" on the SDCARD. “/sd” means the SDCARD mount point.

In case you find this collection of games attractive, or in case you have additional suggestions, please let me know. All in all, it was a nice project to understand the Arduboy architecture and the “how-to” of tiny hardware game programming.

Some Notes: Unfortunately, the SDCARD writing process is very slow (at least the experience with my device), so that in-game update of the EEPROM data is not possible without messing up the game-to-hardware synchronization. There is a special mechanism how game status storing is performed. When a new game is selected in the menu, the previous game EEPROM will be "flashed" to the SDCARD. So for example, you need to to that to save the game status of Arduventure by entering the menu by pressing (<M> + <B>) select another game and return (<M> + <B>) to start the play of the new game. Then you can switch off the device. You can also use the preferences entry “Save and Reset Game : >game name< to save the status of the game actually active. Please not, this will also reset the active game.

One other thing to mention: Unfortunately, the <A>, <B> buttons are swap between OG and Arduboy. On the OG <B> is left to <A>, on the Arduboy inverted. Of course, one can change this physically. If this is done, please not that the menu access explained previously is also inverted.

Millim

Version 1.0 HERE:
Games Collection V1.0

Version 1.1 HERE:
Games Collection V1.1

- Fixed Rouge + some other minor fixes
- Added games:

Version 1.2 HERE:
Games Collection V1.2

- Added switch on/off status bar with >select< button
- Some minor fixes
- Added games:

Have Fun
!
Last edited by millim on Thu May 06, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author millim for the post (total 5):
ddrsoul (Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:16 am) • odroid (Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:15 am) • Nemo1984 (Sat May 01, 2021 1:52 am) • jafox (Sat May 01, 2021 5:21 am) • StickML (Wed May 26, 2021 9:42 am)

ddrsoul
ODROIDs: Odroid go
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Arduboy Games Collection

Post by ddrsoul »

Hello millim,
That was realy fast release! Thank you!
I checked both games I asked you to add and found that rogue have some problems with ascii art. Could you please check it? Now it is unplayable :(

millim

Post by millim »

ddrsoul wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:32 am
Hello millim,
I checked both games I asked you to add and found that rogue have some problems with ascii art. Could you please check it? Now it is unplayable :(
:lol: I was wondering about that, too. Did not find an "obvious" sprites table, I thought it must be a very special game - a very complex one I can't follow. So, I compiled it in.
Indeed, I need to look into that what is going on there. Keep you posted ...

millim

ddrsoul

Post by ddrsoul »

millim wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:40 pm
ddrsoul wrote:
Hello millim,
:lol: I was wondering about that, too. Did not find an "obvious" sprites table, I thought it must be a very special game - a very complex one I can't follow. So, I compiled it in.

millim
this is how this game looks (not sure if I have latest version in this arduboy emulator)
so you can see that "@" is your main character in the left "room" and some bad guy "B" is walking in to kill you
Attachments
rogue4ab.png
rogue4ab.png (33.28 KiB) Viewed 3187 times

millim

Post by millim »

ddrsoul wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:22 pm
millim wrote:
ddrsoul wrote:
Hello millim,

millim
this is how this game looks (not sure if I have latest version in this arduboy emulator)
so you can see that "@" is your main character in the left "room" and some bad guy "B" is walking in to kill you
Ok, I have checked the code, there seems to be a signed/unsigned interpretation issues between the compilers please have a look into this update:
Rogue fix

The gameplay I can't tell if it is what you expect.

millim
These users thanked the author millim for the post:
Nemo1984 (Sat May 01, 2021 1:52 am)

Nemo1984
languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: Odroid-Go

Post by Nemo1984 »

Thank you for this. However, for me, Arduventure is not running as good as this port:
https://bitbucket.org/odroid_go_stuff/a ... rc/master/

Thanks

ddrsoul

Post by ddrsoul »

millim wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:29 pm
ddrsoul wrote:
millim wrote:
ddrsoul wrote:
Hello millim,

millim
Ok, I have checked the code, there seems to be a signed/unsigned interpretation issues between the compilers please have a look into this update:
Rogue fix

millim
Thanks! Now graphics is fixed but i see new problem:
first button I press - doing nothing. for example i press A to start the game - nothing happens. Then I can press any other button, LEFT for example, but the game will behave like I pressed A. Than I press RIGHT but the game behave like I pressed previous button LEFT and so on.

Also, it is not clear for me how to hard reset game.

millim

Post by millim »

Nemo1984 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:51 pm
Thank you for this. However, for me, Arduventure is not running as good as this port:
https://bitbucket.org/odroid_go_stuff/a ... rc/master/

Thanks
Thank you for the code reference and feedback! Well, this firmware file does not boot on my device natively. I don't know what I did wrong. I think, I would need to re-compile. However, can you tell me what you mean with "not running as good as" helping me improve the user experience? If you want to run the game in 256x128 resolution with higher frame-rate, the settings in the preferences might be useful.

millim

millim

Post by millim »

ddrsoul wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:25 am
millim wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:29 pm
ddrsoul wrote:
millim wrote:
ddrsoul wrote:
Hello millim,

millim
Rogue fix

millim
Thanks! Now graphics is fixed but i see new problem:
first button I press - doing nothing. for example i press A to start the game - nothing happens. Then I can press any other button, LEFT for example, but the game will behave like I pressed A. Than I press RIGHT but the game behave like I pressed previous button LEFT and so on.

Also, it is not clear for me how to hard reset game.
Well...

For me, this game is very difficult to be recompiled with the ESP_IDF, need to tweak a lot of compile options. Arduino is much more relaxed on this I would say. Need to fiddle on the details to find the sweet spot. The main problem comes that the Arduboy is based on an 8Bit micor, whereas the OG uses a 32Bit micro. In case the code is not written accordingly, the result will not satisfy :cry:

Sorry for the inconvenience, please try this Rogue FIX #2

millim
ddrsoul (Sun May 02, 2021 12:42 am)

ddrsoul

Post by ddrsoul »

Now rogue plays great! Thank you for your effort!

ODTxF
ODROIDs: Odroid Go

Post by ODTxF »

Thanks for your last version.

I like the new status bar but could you add an option to show/hide this bar (maybe with start or select buttons)?

millim

Post by millim »

ODTxF wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:45 am

I like the new status bar but could you add an option to show/hide this bar (maybe with start or select buttons)?
good point. Will add this to the next release. Will go for the <select> button.

millim
These users thanked the author millim for the post (total 2):
johannesbehr (Thu May 06, 2021 4:41 pm) • ODTxF (Fri May 07, 2021 2:53 am)

johannesbehr
ODROIDs: Odroid-Go

Post by johannesbehr »

Hi Millim,
this is really a great work!
Do you plan to publish the source code as well?

Greetings
Johannesbehr

millim

Post by millim »

johannesbehr wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:44 pm
Hi Millim,
this is really a great work!
Do you plan to publish the source code as well?

Greetings
Johannesbehr
Hello Johannes,

thank you for the feedback :) 8-) ! Indeed, it is all about learning programming in the fun way. Sure, I need to think about what would be the best way to publish the source code. On the framework, I see no issue. It is getting a bit more complicated on the games, I think I need invest considerable time on the documentation there.

millim
odroid (Fri May 07, 2021 9:32 am)

ODTxF

Post by ODTxF »

millim wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:37 am
ODTxF wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:45 am

good point. Will add this to the next release. Will go for the <select> button.

millim
Thanks for the new release with show/hide status bar on the <select> button :D and new games.

StickML
ODROIDs: Odroid ESP32

Post by StickML »

Fantastic! I broke my Arduboy installing the FX chip, so the Odroid Go *is* my Arduboy for the time being. I especially appreciate the ability to adjust the adjust the resolution.

Game request: Circuit Dude by crait. https://community.arduboy.com/t/circuit ... -tool/2490

EDIT: I just saw you mention in the original thread about the rights issues/need for permission from certain authors, including crait. Good luck!

Feature request: Would it be possible to put a simulated LED somewhere on the screen? Some games, like Circuit Dude, use the LED light on the Arduboy as part of the experience.

Thank you so much for the work you've already done. Rockchip has grabbed my attention a lot recently, and your work keeps the Arduboy and the ESP32 Odroid Go alive for me.

iabhua
ODROIDs: Odroid-GO, Odroid-GO-Advanced
Has thanked: 0

Post by iabhua »

I second that Circuit Dude by crait would be great

ddrsoul

Post by ddrsoul »

I have contacted crait on discord and looks like he is not against porting circuit dude to odroid. For some reason he did not receive any letter from millim, maybe it is lost in spam.
Anyway, he did not confirmed anything, so might be a good idea to try and contact him again.

millim

Post by millim »

ddrsoul wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:03 pm
I have contacted crait on discord and looks like he is not against porting circuit dude to odroid. For some reason he did not receive any letter from millim, maybe it is lost in spam.
Anyway, he did not confirmed anything, so might be a good idea to try and contact him again.
Thank you, ddrsoul for that, good news :-). Strange, I have asked per PM through this forum. I don't what went wrong? I will enable it ASAP.
I will enable it by default on the next update. At the moment, I am "heading north" on the media player project in my limited spare time...

millim
Last edited by millim on Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ddrsoul

Post by ddrsoul »

millim wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:22 am
ddrsoul wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:03 pm
Thank you, ddrsoul for that, good news :-). Strange, I have asked per PM through this forum. I don't what went wrong? I will enable it ASAP.

millim
Hello, millim.
Please don't rush. You should get his permission yourself first. If you use discord I can give his contacts to you in PM.

ODTxF

Post by ODTxF »

millim

Post by millim »

sorry for not being active here. I will take this up soon again...

millim

rcarillion
ODROIDs: ODROID GO

Post by rcarillion »

I can't wait! :D

Funkdoctor
ODROIDs: Go
Advance

Post by Funkdoctor »

i look forward to updates
ive always liked the arduboy. Im really enjoying these games on my odroid
thanks for the great work

millim

Post by millim »

Funkdoctor wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:28 am
i look forward to updates
ive always liked the arduboy. Im really enjoying these games on my odroid
thanks for the great work
Thank you for the feedback. 8-)

I am sorry, I am still busy with the MP3 music player project viewtopic.php?f=162&p=334616#p334616 within the little spare time I have.
I am about to lift this to another level. I will finish it soon and some test are still necessary to do. After that, I will continue to work on an update for the OgArduboy.

There are some new games released, I will think about to add, too. Be patience ...

millim

Return to “Game Emulators”