Advance
Has thanked: 0

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by Funkdoctor »

ducalex wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 6:36 am
Funkdoctor wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 10:21 am
This happens on every system/game until i reboot firmware. This was after about 3 days of playing 4-10 times a day in short burst
Thanks for the photos. To exclude any LCD problems please do this: When a game is currently glitching press MENU, then START, then Screenshot. Then verify if screenshot.png on your SD Card is glitchy like on your screen.
Note: You may have to try a few times, sometimes retro-go produces broken PNG files...

i took the screenshot with glitches everywhere

if i press any menu bottons and return to game the screen appears fine until sprites move again
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (1.93 KiB) Viewed 524 times

ducalex
languages_spoken: english, french

Post by ducalex »

Funkdoctor wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:05 am

if i press any menu bottons and return to game the screen appears fine until sprites move again
Perfect so it's clearly a drawing/blitting issue. Can you try disabling scaling and filtering in the menu and see if it still glitches? That would help eliminate large portion of the drawing code.

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

Funkdoctor wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:05 am

I'm attaching a special build with partial screen updating disabled which is what I'm suspecting to be the issue so far. Let me know if it helps.
Otherwise please follow my previous message and report if filtering or scaling affect the glitching.

Thanks
Attachments
retro-go_1.25.3-nopart.zip
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 13 times

SPTLegend
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-Go

Post by SPTLegend »

I picked up my Odroid Go for the first time in a while and updated to the latest Retro-Go firmware and the improvements are great. However my cover art that used to display fine on the previous build will no longer display. I have them set up still as per the folder structure on the GitHub. Can anybody help?

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

SPTLegend wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:54 am
I picked up my Odroid Go for the first time in a while and updated to the latest Retro-Go firmware and the improvements are great. However my cover art that used to display fine on the previous build will no longer display. I have them set up still as per the folder structure on the GitHub. Can anybody help?
I modified the PNG loader a lot to fix crashes and other issues, so that is very possible.
Can you send me a few of the images that fail to load so I can find and fix the problem?

Edit: Also I haven't tested the older .raw covers in a while but I changed some of its code so maybe I broke it. If that's what you're using just let me know, I won't need samples.

SPTLegend

Post by SPTLegend »

ducalex wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:37 pm
SPTLegend wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:54 am
I modified the PNG loader a lot to fix crashes and other issues, so that is very possible.
Can you send me a few of the images that fail to load so I can find and fix the problem?

Edit: Also I haven't tested the older .raw covers in a while but I changed some of its code so maybe I broke it. If that's what you're using just let me know, I won't need samples.
Hi dulcalex, thanks for the reply. No game images at all load. I'm using the scaled down png's for boxart and file size is minute.

Christian_Haitian
ODROIDs: Go, Go Advance

Post by Christian_Haitian »

It's been awhile since I've picked up the Odroid Go and this firmware. Happy to see that this firmware is still being maintained and seems to have some nice improvements. I'm gonna flash the latest later today and give it a spin. Hope you're still doing well ducalex! :)
A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

Christian_Haitian wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:33 am
It's been awhile since I've picked up the Odroid Go and this firmware. Happy to see that this firmware is still being maintained and seems to have some nice improvements. I'm gonna flash the latest later today and give it a spin. Hope you're still doing well ducalex! :)
Welcome back :)

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

SPTLegend wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:59 pm
Hi dulcalex, thanks for the reply. No game images at all load. I'm using the scaled down png's for boxart and file size is minute.
Please flash the attached build and move around a bit in the launcher and then do:
- Menu -> Debug -> Save app log
and send me the log.txt created on your SD Card.

SPTLegend

Post by SPTLegend »

ducalex wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:12 am
SPTLegend wrote:
Please flash the attached build and move around a bit in the launcher and then do:
Thanks, i'll try that later. On a separate note, there is a Gameboy ESP32 product sold by MyRetroGamecase and I was wondering whether your firmware would work on that and what would be the detrmining factors to make it work?

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

SPTLegend wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:31 am
Thanks, i'll try that later. On a separate note, there is a Gameboy ESP32 product sold by MyRetroGamecase and I was wondering whether your firmware would work on that and what would be the detrmining factors to make it work?
Quite interesting, I was working on a GBC ESP32 kit myself!

From a quick glance at their .fw file it seems it is derived from one of the Go-Play forks and the hardware is very similar (probably identical) so a port should be easy. I would just need high resolution photos of the PCB or maybe the source code (they should give it to you if they respect the GPL).

That being said their firmware seems pretty nice as is. The launcher is lovely and it has wifi file transfer.

Christian_Haitian
ODROIDs: Go, Go Advance

Post by Christian_Haitian »

ducalex wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:00 am
SPTLegend wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:31 am
Quite interesting, I was working on a GBC ESP32 kit myself!

From a quick glance at their .fw file it seems it is derived from one of the Go-Play forks and the hardware is very similar (probably identical) so a port should be easy. I would just need high resolution photos of the PCB or maybe the source code (they should give it to you if they respect the GPL).

That being said their firmware seems pretty nice as is. The launcher is lovely and it has wifi file transfer.
Oh cool. I was just about to come on here and ask if you'd be willing to provide support for that or could I fork your work and do necessary modifications to get it going on that if the sources for the original firmware is available. Good to know you're open to the idea. The feedback I've read seems like Retro-Go is much more ahead in performance. There's still screen tearing issues with NES and other games on the stock firmware.
A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one

SPTLegend

Post by SPTLegend »

Ducalex, don't underestimate the job you have done with this firmware in progressing performance compared to stock fw. You've managed to make some PC Engine playable on this which is pushing its limits. Great work. Likewise Christian Haitian with the ArkOS firmware, another piece of great work

The Gameboy ESP32 launcher looks lovely and the mp3 player is a nice touch though I would get rid of the E-reader but it does not have the performance of your firmware which has been optimised over time. Plus this thing with Atari Lynx and PC Engine on it would be awesome.

SPTLegend

Post by SPTLegend »

You can download the firmware here which is a link I followed from the myretrogamecase website

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0cdki57jfpq6 ... gU4aa?dl=0

SPTLegend

Post by SPTLegend »

ducalex wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:12 am
SPTLegend wrote:
How do I get to the menu option that says Debug, can't see it? I'm using the 1.25 no-part linked a few comments above

ducalex

Post by ducalex »

SPTLegend wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:38 am
How do I get to the menu option that says Debug, can't see it? I'm using the 1.25 no-part linked a few comments above
You can't from that build (nobody should use nopart other than for testing btw. It was a test and it has much lower framerate and more tearing).

It seems my previous message lost its attachment. I'll try to attach the build to this post again, sorry about that!
Attachments
retro-go_1.25.3-8-g6de73-dirty.zip
(3.75 MiB) Downloaded 3 times

SPTLegend

Post by SPTLegend »

ducalex wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:10 am
SPTLegend wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:38 am
You can't from that build (nobody should use nopart other than for testing btw. It was a test and it has much lower framerate and more tearing).

It seems my previous message lost its attachment. I'll try to attach the build to this post again, sorry about that!
Hi, here is the log.txt file. Thanks again for your help.

Hoping to have some photos of the PCB sent to me in the next couple of days on the GBC ESP32. Nothing more heard on the source code.
Attachments
log.txt
(2 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

Return to “Game Emulators”