Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post Reply
retroman
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:18 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by retroman »

ducalex wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:22 am
I've added proportional font support to retro-go. This is just a quick demo with only a few pre-rendered sizes (the rest are stretched) but we can add pre-rendered fonts of each size once the fonts have been selected. I will not work further on the interface right now to avoid interfering with retroman's work.

You can download the alpha build here and please report any glitch!
Hey Ducalex, really cool work, that's exactly what I was about to do. I've been really busy lately, so it is difficult for me to keep it up, but I want to test different fonts, especially some sans serif ones that I've been using in emulationstation and small screens and look really cool, will try to do it the next week if I've got more time.

I've been wondering something that can be really cool and I think it is not really difficult as there are already written libraries for it, AV composite video out. I've seen some github esp32 composite video projects, and they don't look really complicated. I'm looking if can be done through the top gpio header of the odroid, so in this way there will be not any hard modifications. Again, nothing really necessary, but pretty cool to connect the odroid and play on your old crt tv :)

kelbot
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:05 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, HC2 x2, Go
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by kelbot »

Apologies if this has been answered before but would it be possible to have sub-folder support? It helps keep roms organized for example I have a lot of homebrew roms and like keeping them in a sub-folder.

ducalex
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 19, 2019 3:29 am
languages_spoken: english, french
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 365 times
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by ducalex »

retroman wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:21 pm
I've been wondering something that can be really cool and I think it is not really difficult as there are already written libraries for it, AV composite video out. I've seen some github esp32 composite video projects, and they don't look really complicated. I'm looking if can be done through the top gpio header of the odroid, so in this way there will be not any hard modifications. Again, nothing really necessary, but pretty cool to connect the odroid and play on your old crt tv :)
Video generation in the projects you've seen use I2S and the internal DAC which is connected to the speaker on the GO. That's not a big deal, we can generate audio in other ways, but it means the pins we need aren't exposed on the header (the DAC doesn't go through the GPIO matrix, it's hardwired to 25/26).
kelbot wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:26 am
Apologies if this has been answered before but would it be possible to have sub-folder support? It helps keep roms organized for example I have a lot of homebrew roms and like keeping them in a sub-folder.
It's on the list but very low priority. I agree it would be nice but surprisingly you're only the second person to request that!

retroman
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:18 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by retroman »

ducalex wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:25 am
retroman wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:21 pm
I've been wondering something that can be really cool and I think it is not really difficult as there are already written libraries for it, AV composite video out. I've seen some github esp32 composite video projects, and they don't look really complicated. I'm looking if can be done through the top gpio header of the odroid, so in this way there will be not any hard modifications. Again, nothing really necessary, but pretty cool to connect the odroid and play on your old crt tv :)
Video generation in the projects you've seen use I2S and the internal DAC which is connected to the speaker on the GO. That's not a big deal, we can generate audio in other ways, but it means the pins we need aren't exposed on the header (the DAC doesn't go through the GPIO matrix, it's hardwired to 25/26).
kelbot wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:26 am
Apologies if this has been answered before but would it be possible to have sub-folder support? It helps keep roms organized for example I have a lot of homebrew roms and like keeping them in a sub-folder.
It's on the list but very low priority. I agree it would be nice but surprisingly you're only the second person to request that!
I understand ducalex, I though only the i2s was used, not the internal dac, in this case it would require some soldering and hardware modification, not that friendly. It would be really cool to choose in the menu between lcd and av output as an experimental setting, I will investigate and figure out how to modify cleanly the internal dac hardware wise once I know which connections I need, maybe implement some analog switch to preserve the original dac and be able to use the mod when needed. Maybe this is too much already for this project's scope idk, I though it was a cool idea, will try to do something anyways for the fun and learning (:

PD: I've read that only one of the two DAC outputs (25/26) is needed, so maybe using one DAC with the differential negative wired to ground and using the other DAC output for the AV can be a solution, and this will only require soldering one wire.

ducalex
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 19, 2019 3:29 am
languages_spoken: english, french
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 365 times
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by ducalex »

Yes using one DAC channel for video and the other for audio would give us 8bit audio instead of the current 9bit which is fine, but, according to this, that's not really possible.

I think the best solution would be to use an external I2S DAC, which is already supported in retro-go. But using PWM as in the linked project might work too.

kelbot
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:05 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, HC2 x2, Go
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by kelbot »

Ok glad sub-folders are on the list :). Currently I switch back and forth between Retro-Go and RetroESP32. RetroESP32 has sub-folder support, a few more emulators and I love it aesthetically. I also love all the improvements you're making with Retro-Go and the new features and improvements to some of the emulators. It's so hard to stick to one :D.

While I don't have the knowledge to do it myself I have to say watching the limits of this little device being pushed is awful fun. I'm already very happy with what it can do and seeing even more stuff come to fruition is great.

ducalex
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 19, 2019 3:29 am
languages_spoken: english, french
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 365 times
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by ducalex »

kelbot wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:48 am
RetroESP32 has sub-folder support, a few more emulators and I love it aesthetically.
Agreed, RetroESP32 looks great! (I don't like the fake loading screens though...).

A while ago I was working on a theme creator but I never finished it. Maybe someone can come up with a nice flat theme that I could add to the main build. You can test at: https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https:// ... eator.html . Of course there still wouldn't be animations :(.

retroman
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:18 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by retroman »

ducalex wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:30 am
kelbot wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:48 am
RetroESP32 has sub-folder support, a few more emulators and I love it aesthetically.
Agreed, RetroESP32 looks great! (I don't like the fake loading screens though...).

A while ago I was working on a theme creator but I never finished it. Maybe someone can come up with a nice flat theme that I could add to the main build. You can test at: https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https:// ... eator.html . Of course there still wouldn't be animations :(.
The theme creator is a really cool tool, in the launcher I've used always the black flat background, I think it looks so much cleaner than the gradient ones, but having options is the best.

I always thought that the logo image and header image are basically in esence the same thing imo and the logo image looks a little bit blurry due to the lower pixel density, so I was thinking to try to make only a header, which can make even lighter the launcher or modifying the logo to complement the header better. My idea was to put just the console pixel style drawing isometric style, something like this:

Image

Again, I'm only trying to give me point of view as a designer, which is the field where I have more experience, sorry if I sound picky.

Nemo1984
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:58 pm
languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: Odroid-Go
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by Nemo1984 »

I don't disagree that the menu is a little bland. But I think the efforts should be concentrated on functionality first. We don't want to burn out Ducalex.

ducalex
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 19, 2019 3:29 am
languages_spoken: english, french
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 365 times
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by ducalex »

retroman wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:33 pm
My idea was to put just the console pixel style drawing isometric style, something like this:

Image

Again, I'm only trying to give me point of view as a designer, which is the field where I have more experience, sorry if I sound picky.
I like the pixel art-style idea. I don't have the skills or the time to do it myself but if you do I'd be happy to integrate in retro-go!

ducalex
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 19, 2019 3:29 am
languages_spoken: english, french
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 365 times
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by ducalex »

Nemo1984 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:53 am
I don't disagree that the menu is a little bland. But I think the efforts should be concentrated on functionality first. We don't want to burn out Ducalex.
Speaking of functionality, I have lost my to do list for retro-go. On top of my head the pending things were:

- Fix the list of games in the top post
- Famicon Disk System
- Netplay
- Game Boy BIOS
- Sub folders
- Atari emulators

Can anyone remind of of things I'm missing? I might start tracking that stuff on github to avoid losing it again...

lordhardware
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:56 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3
Odroid-W
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 25 times
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by lordhardware »

Arduinoboy game launching natively within Go Retro ;)
These users thanked the author lordhardware for the post:
rcarillion (Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:54 am)

ddrsoul
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:47 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid go
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by ddrsoul »

ducalex wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:48 pm
Nemo1984 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:53 am
I don't disagree that the menu is a little bland. But I think the efforts should be concentrated on functionality first. We don't want to burn out Ducalex.
Speaking of functionality, I have lost my to do list for retro-go. On top of my head the pending things were:

- Fix the list of games in the top post
- Famicon Disk System
- Netplay
- Game Boy BIOS
- Sub folders
- Atari emulators

Can anyone remind of of things I'm missing? I might start tracking that stuff on github to avoid losing it again...
maybe you will also add "sleep mode"?

JLS1
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-Go
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by JLS1 »

Chip sound player SID, AY, PT3 etc... willbe great :-) And legendary ZX-Spectrum128+AY emulator :-D

kelbot
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:05 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, HC2 x2, Go
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by kelbot »

Theme creator or redesigned theme options?

ducalex
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 19, 2019 3:29 am
languages_spoken: english, french
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 365 times
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by ducalex »

kelbot wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:30 am
Theme creator or redesigned theme options?
As I said before, I'll gladly accept changes if someone wants to improve the launcher. I can even do the integration if you don't want to mess with git and C, just send me the new images/fonts/colours.

The images to replace are found in launcher/images, the fonts can be any ttf font, and colours can be chosen with the theme creator if desired.
Edit: Naturally any image or font would need to be license-compatible with retro-go, prefer open-source or original resources if you can.

Nemo1984
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:58 pm
languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: Odroid-Go
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by Nemo1984 »

I really love the CRC32 cache when idle. I don't have to scroll through every game anymore! Anyone knows where I could buy another odroid go?
These users thanked the author Nemo1984 for the post:
ducalex (Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:14 pm)

kelbot
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:05 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, HC2 x2, Go
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by kelbot »

ducalex wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:17 am
kelbot wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:30 am
Theme creator or redesigned theme options?
As I said before, I'll gladly accept changes if someone wants to improve the launcher. I can even do the integration if you don't want to mess with git and C, just send me the new images/fonts/colours.

The images to replace are found in launcher/images, the fonts can be any ttf font, and colours can be chosen with the theme creator if desired.
Edit: Naturally any image or font would need to be license-compatible with retro-go, prefer open-source or original resources if you can.
I will try to find some time to work on this.
These users thanked the author kelbot for the post:
ducalex (Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:14 pm)

ducalex
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 19, 2019 3:29 am
languages_spoken: english, french
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 365 times
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by ducalex »

New release: Retro-Go 1.25 is now available! Download via top post or github.

I was hoping to finish FDS support and fix Battletoads for 1.25 but oh well, it's been almost two months and still not finish so here's a small release...

Changes since 1.24:
- All: Proportional fonts support with correct alignment
- All: Crash log is now saved to the SD Card if possible. Please share it if you encounter a non-obvious crash.
- All: The settings format has changed a little to allow more flexibility (some of your settings will be lost, sorry!)
- GG/COL/SMS: Now have independent settings, you can set different filters and scaling per console!
- Launcher: Idle CRC32 caching, just let your GO sit for a while to never see "CRC32..." again!
- Launcher: Improved responsiveness


Note 1: The idle caching sometimes crashes with "SPI Mutex" message. This is a race condition that I can't easily fix. Just reboot the console, it's harmless.
Note 2: If you encounter weird crashes please delete odroid/retro-go.json. I did a lot of testing but it's possible I missed something.

Thanks everyone for testing!
These users thanked the author ducalex for the post (total 2):
Nemo1984 (Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:07 am) • micro (Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:48 am)

ddrsoul
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:47 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid go
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by ddrsoul »

Hi ducalex,
finally I managed to catch a bug with "save" that leads to crash.
i was on 1.25a2
please check log
Added:
Found not important bug in launcher: i can not rotate full fonts list with left button, it skips some of options (comparing to right button)
Attachments
crash.log
(519 Bytes) Downloaded 6 times

retroman
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:18 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Retro-Go: Emulator launcher with improved emulators

Post by retroman »

ducalex wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:32 pm
retroman wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:33 pm
My idea was to put just the console pixel style drawing isometric style, something like this:

Image

Again, I'm only trying to give me point of view as a designer, which is the field where I have more experience, sorry if I sound picky.
I like the pixel art-style idea. I don't have the skills or the time to do it myself but if you do I'd be happy to integrate in retro-go!
Don't worry ducalex, you don't have to, I'm working on it and will post a folder and you use it if you want. You are great at improving the launcher functionality, which is what matters the most ;)

Post Reply

Return to “Game Emulators”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests