C64 Emulator (ODroid-Go Keyboard required)

Mog
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODroid Go
Has thanked: 0

C64 Emulator (ODroid-Go Keyboard required)

Unread post by Mog » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:53 pm

Hi

Here we have a fork of CrashOverride's Frodo port with some improvements I thought it would benefit from as a programming platform.

Removed:

1541 true drive emulation and hence D64 write access
(it never worked with speedloaders as the emulator isn't cycle exact and was very slow)

Added:

FATFS on devices 9, 10 and 11 (Create /roms/c64/fs1, /roms/c64/fs2 and /roms/c64/fs3 on your SD card)
FlashFS on devices 12 and 13 (These share a 12MiB internal hard disk using FatFS)
Built in essential utilities on device 14 (file manager, assemblers, basic interpreters etc.)
Built in ACE-64 on device 15 (Full Unix-like OS for the C64 including a very readable soft 80 column mode)
ROM files built in so they don't need to be copied to the SD card, custom KERNAL (more on that later)
REU of 0, 512 or 2048KiB (2MiB by default, used by ACE-64)
Joystick port emulation swapping (Just press Select in the image selection menu)
T64 and LNX support in addition to D64 images.
S and R commands added to the filesystem driver (used by FatFS and FlashFS and not implemented in Frodo)
SD Free operation (more on that later)
A very Basic Quick Menu (just do shift+run (up+esc) without selecting a d64/t64/lnx (or on the V2 kernal LOAD"QMENU",14 then RUN))

Kernals and REU:

By default you get my modified KERNAL and a 2048KiB REU, the modified KERNAL has colour changes for better readability on the ODroid-Go screen (IE: it defaults to black text on a white background with cyan borders) and has a couple of added routines:

Non-destructive disk directory: SYS 64000
Quick error channel message reading: SYS 64128

These operate on device 8 or the last accessed device, if you want to use another, then POKE 186,device before the SYS command

If you do not want to use my modified KERNAL, you can hold right (on the dpad) at boot for the older V2 kernal or left for the newer X2 kernal. Likewise you can select other than 2MiB REU size by holding up for 512K REU (the largest size officially sold) and down for no REU at all, these settings will persist until the ODroid is power cycled. Note that ACE-64 will NOT work without an REU as I configured it with some structures there so there's enough near RAM to run the included assembler.

So for a stock breadbox C64 with no REU you would hold right+down at boot, you can let go when the screen goes black after flashing the colours.

SD Free operation:

An SD card is /not/ required for this emulator to operate other than for the initial flashing (and copying on any data you want on there)

without an SD card:

Drives 9, 10 and 11 will be unavailable (and attempts to access them will return Device not present)
The searched location for .D64, .T64 and .LNX images will be the first user flash partition (Device 12) rather than /roms/c64/ on the SD card

ACE-64 R16

Ace-64 is a free PD unix-like operating system for the C64 and C128 written by Craig Bruce some 22 years ago, if you're familiar with the linux command line you'll be right at home in ACE-64, it supports (and is configured for) REU RAM and applications such as the assembler, full screen text editor and terminal emulator (not usable /yet/ but possibly in future) make full use of it. You should probably use it for copying/moving/etc. files - Drives A: to H: map directly to devices 8-15. ACE-64 lives on device 15 and shares the same 1MiB SPIFFS with the applications on device 14. Most of it should be fairly obvious but use cd drive (IE: cd b:) to change disk, rather than just the drive letter and use 40 and 80 to switch between the 40 column hardware screen and the 80 column software screen. The 80 column screen is using REU acceleration and is very fast.

There is a 2MiB REU Ramdisk on drive Z: while in ACE-64, some files are copied to it at boot to improve the speed of the OS but they can be removed (rm z:*) if you want to use it for temporary storage. Obviously contents are lost when you exit ACE-64 or restart or reset the C64.

You can find full documentation, sources and other details of ACE-64 at the author's site at: http://csbruce.com/cbm/ace/

The easiest way to start ACE-64 is to do shift+run (up+esc) at boot then select option G from the quick menu.

Built in apps

On device 14 there are a number of built in apps intended to make programming easier, they're mostly PD or released for free.
Some but by no means all of them are:

Simons Basic - Enhanced basic interpreter for the C64, includes hires graphics, audio commands and suchlike
BBC Basic II - This is a port of the 6502 tube version of Basic II for the BBC Micro by JGH (HIBASIC actually)
Sinclair Simulator - This is a port of Sinclair Spectrum basic, use microdrive commands on drives 4, 6, and 8 for devices 9, 10 and 11
Turbo ASS 3.0 - A fairly well known assembler popular with game crackers and democoders back in the day
Forth and Lisp - I cannot write in and know very little about these languages but here they are
SuperMON+64 - The outstanding C64 machine code monitor by Jim Butterfield
CBM Commander - Midnight Commander-like file manager, help files included, you will need them (Press H)
unzip64 - Unzip PKZip files, supports the deflate method, a test .zip created with windows unzipped fine.
gunzip - dearchiver for .tar.gz compressed files. Probably not needed given unzip is present.

Most of these are available from the quick menu, those that aren't are available from the utilities list (press M on quick menu)

NOTE ON FIRST BOOT!

This part previously mentioned a two minute delay for 12 MiB user FS formatting on first boot but it's been cut down to under a second so is not important now.

IMPORTANT NOTE ON FILES STORED IN FLASH

Files stored on devices 12 and 13 (the 12MiB user flash) will NOT survive other firmwares like go-play being flashed then the C64 flashed again, if you're going to do that you should back them up to an SD card (easiest in ACE-64 though CBM Commander on Device 14 can be used)
The files /will/ however survive flashing an updated version of /this/ emulator as the firmware is crafted in such a way that that particular partition isn't modified when it's reflashed.

Changes made to devices 14 and 15 (the shared system 1MiB FatFS) will not survive ANY reflashing, including of this emulator, those drives are not intended to be written to but write was left enabled in case config options for CBM Commander or .ashrc in ACE-64 etc. need changing.
While files can now be added to devices 14 and 15 reliably as SPIFFS is no longer used at all, make sure there are never less than 400 blocks free or you might have difficulty loading from t64/lnx files and loading large directories (as temporary files are created on that FS when doing so)

Downloads

Hopefully you've read all of the above, including the note on first boot, here are the downloads:

The prebuilt .fw:

http://kupo.be/dist/C64%20Frodo-Go%20(M ... 0190326.fw

New in March 26th version:

Full documentation (read in ACE-64 in 80 column mode with more or z) and sources (unzip to another drive with unzip, then unkar in ACE-64, you should then be able to rebuild the entire OS using the included as assembler)

The source tarball: (Sorry, no Github etc., don't know how to use such systems as yet)

http://kupo.be/dist/C64%20Frodo-Go%20(M ... src.tar.gz

If you intend to build this source, it will be necessary for you to make a couple of minor changes to the SDK

The value for FF_VOLUMES at line 183 in ~/esp/esp-idf/components/fatfs/src/ffconf.h should be changed from 2 to 3

an additional row should be added to VolToPart[] at line 24 in diskio.c in the same directory

So it looks like this:

PARTITION VolToPart[] = {
{0, 0},
{1, 0},
{2, 0}
};

This is unfortunately necessary as there is a hard coded limit of two FATFS partitions max mounted and we need 3.

If you attempt to built it without making this change, it will work but you will not be able to access the SD card and hence will not be able to get any data onto the emulated c64.

Enjoy.

[Mog]
Last edited by Mog on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:07 am, edited 13 times in total.
These users thanked the author Mog for the post (total 2):
ripper121 (Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:56 am) • pmprog (Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:02 am)

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Re: C64 Emulator (ODroid-Go Keyboard required)

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:26 pm

Sounds like quite a mod, congratulations for completing it!
Being after the c64 era I can't realize how it operates, so if any youtuber wants to do a hands on review, I'd be in viewing it :)

Mog

Unread post by Mog » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:34 am

Ahh, thankyou -.o

I started with a 1K ZX81 when I was 7 myself and my first 6502 assembly was on the BBC Micro but the C64 is alright if you use something other than the awful PET Basic it came with. The MSX isn't a bad programming platform either, better basic but it doesn't use the whole screen, only 256x192 of it (compared to 320x200 on the C64 and you can actually put sprites in the top/bottom borders in a pinch so can use all of it)

I've found severe problems with the SPIFFS though, basically, nobody should use more than about 70% of it or they'll have a bad day, I'll be making a new release soon that uses LittleFS instead (which unlike SPIFFS was not written by monkeys on crack who consider consistency and reliability to be optional extras), though SPIFFS will still have to be used for the builtins as there's no tool to create a prepopulated fs for littlefs. I'll just have to make it read only I suppose or strongly advise people not to write to it. One advantage of LittleFS (other than it actually working reliably) is the formatting is hundreds of times faster so the 2m4s pause on first boot will be reduced to a few seconds.

Mog

Unread post by Mog » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:08 pm

Ahh, new release, possibly the last one:

Pictures:

http://tifa.autie.net:9090/fKN4bhHm/file_1080.jpg <- Standard boot with standard hardware
http://tifa.autie.net:9090/XR6CUw1z/file_1079.jpg <- Simons Basic with no SD card or REU
http://tifa.autie.net:9090/PNHH0T8e/file_1081.jpg <- The Basic quickmenu
http://tifa.autie.net:9090/k3GZ0Mvx/file_1082.jpg <- ACE-64 OS after booting
http://tifa.autie.net:9090/VDlMIkRP/file_1089.jpg <- ACE-64 assembler test
http://tifa.autie.net:9090/4tjQTjTr/file_1083.jpg <- Unzip utility (one way to unpack the ACE-64 docs or source..)

Changes in this version:

Drive 8 now mounts /roms/c64/fs0/ by default if no image is mounted (you will need to create that)
Drives 9-11 mount /roms/c64/fs1/, /roms/c64/fs2/ and /roms/c64/fs3/ (those will also need to exist)

Due to this, shift+run with nothing mounted will no longer run QMenu (Press F7 for that), if you want something to run with shift+run at boot, make sure it is the FIRST file you copy into / save to /roms/c64/fs0/ - do NOT rely on windows to copy the files in the order you expect or want, I can count the number of times it's done that correctly on the fingers of one foot, in windows copy the file you want to boot first, on its own, then copy the rest. And install a real operating system.

Modified kernal is now complete, original C64 colours restored, much additional information on boot

F2 does a non-destructive disk directory
F7 starts QMenu
F8 starts the ACE-64 OS

Other function keys are as normal X2 kernal configuration.

In the disk selection menu, you can press Start to eject the currently selected image and access the /sd0/ folder on Dev 8 as usual
In the same menu you can press Select to swap the Joystick port of the joystick emulation (for games that use Port 1)

In SD free mode, Drive 8 will map to 12 and 9 will map to 13 (the two user flash partitions), this is purely so badly behaved software that can only save to device 8 (or 9) can still be used, the default drive is still set to 12 in that situation and should be used as 12 where possible to avoid issues when the SD card /is/ present.

If you want to modify your KERNAL without reflashing (or any other ROMs) you can mount the /fatfsi/sys/ folder to drive 8 by turning it on, waiting half a second then holding the volume key, if you got the timing right you'll get an additional message at boot. Tread carefully.

As before, at boot hold: Up for a 512K REU, Down for No REU at all, Left for the CBM X2 kernal, Right for the older CBM V2 kernal. (the default being as previously My kernal with a 2048K REU (which ACE-64 makes full use of, both as data space for programs and the 2MiB RAMDisk on drive Z when ACE-64 is running))

The download:

http://kupo.be/dist/C64%20Frodo-Go%20(M ... 0190401.fw

ripper121

Unread post by ripper121 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:19 pm

could you use github?

Mog

Unread post by Mog » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:26 am

ripper121 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:19 pm
could you use github?
No I could not, it's not mandatory.

As I said in the original posting, I do not know how to use github and suchlike, didn't exist when I started.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:32 am

I think ripper121 wants to integrate your work in his download tool - which searches github.

Mog

Unread post by Mog » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:23 am

Well, I still can't use Github, unfortunately, I suppose I really should learn but I'm a bit wary about using an organisation with a documented habit of mistreating female employees and that's now owned by Microsoft.

I started on a ZX81 aged 7 in 1983, it was a bit different then, my source control consisted of a few spare tapes -.o;

The source tarball and the current firmware are at http://kupo.be/dist/

As is a copy of my 64tass that has the assembly Kernal patches and so on in it in case anyone doesn't like mine.

Mog

Unread post by Mog » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:24 pm

Ah, okay, seems the last one wasn't quite as final as I intended

ACE-64 fix:

15:ace16-allsrc.zip
Repacked so it's not necessary to unkar after and a couple of small changes made to a couple of files that wouldn't build due to not being up to date with a change to the way escaped characters were handled.

Colour sets for my kernal:

If (like me) you find the flickering on non-black/white text intolerable when working for any length of time, you can select other colour sets for the standard C64 OS:

Press while booting it (actually press 1 second after you switch on so the bootloader doesn't catch it)

Select - Dark colour scheme (Grey border, Black background, White text)
Start - Light colour scheme (Grey border, White background, Black text)
B - VIC-20 colour scheme (Cyan border, White background, Dark blue text)
A - Green colour scheme (Grey border, Black background, Green text, much like the TRS-80 monitor I used on everything for years as a kid)

Press none of these for the standard C64 colour scheme.

The controls are read when the screen flashes red just before the C64 boots, you want to avoid holding A, B or Volume down when you turn it on as the bootloader/firmware flasher will catch it, wait a second or press on the first sign of green/blue.

The download:

http://kupo.be/dist/C64%20Frodo-Go%20(M ... 0190402.fw

Mog

Unread post by Mog » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:15 am

And here we are again

The "bloody hell, I'm old" release

Software 80 column mode added for basic now (from here: https://github.com/mist64/80columns )

Pic (Using the Vic-20 colour scheme, the Commodore colours are even less readable in this mode)

http://tifa.autie.net:9090/9Mm67Kyr/file_1122.jpg
Just run 80COLUMNS from device 15 or select the bottom option in quickmenu to go into it

It works only with Basic and anything you might write in assembly that uses the proper kernal calls.

Function keys do not currently work as it's behaving like V2 rather than X2 kernal input, I will have to work on that later

As ever, here is the download:

http://kupo.be/dist/C64%20Frodo-Go%20(M ... 0190403.fw

pmprog
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO

Unread post by pmprog » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:38 am

I'd love to give this a go, but i don't have the keyboard. Would be interesting if a Bluetooth keyboard could be supported

Mog

Unread post by Mog » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:57 am

pmprog wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:38 am
I'd love to give this a go, but i don't have the keyboard. Would be interesting if a Bluetooth keyboard could be supported
I'm afraid I wouldn't have the first clue how to do that, I'm not sure that's supported on the ESP32 at all, I know it has the BT hardware but I don't think any libraries to use keyboards, controllers etc. have been written :( I'm pondering adding support for a PC keyboard using a terminal when connected via USB which isn't ideal but would mean it could be used without the hardware one...

May add a soft keyboard (or just directly steal the one from the other emulator if the author has no objections) if there's any demand for it, but if your main interest is games, the other C64 emulator is excellent for that purpose and has a soft keyboard, this one is more intended for programming, with a unixlike os and a few programming languages (several assemblers, three basics, lisp, forth and pascal so far, no C yet) and so on.

pmprog

Unread post by pmprog » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:15 pm

I found this looking for bt keyboard support, but i don't know if this is to attach bt keyboards or to pretend to be one, and not really had tone to look into it
https://github.com/bluekitchen/btstack

Mog

Unread post by Mog » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:01 am

Well, it depends what exactly they mean by 'small memory footprint' but possibly...

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1

Unread post by crashoverride » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:17 am

pmprog wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:15 pm
I found this looking for bt keyboard support, but i don't know if this is to attach bt keyboards or to pretend to be one, and not really had tone to look into it
https://github.com/bluekitchen/btstack
The license effectively makes it useless.

Code: Select all

* 4. Any redistribution, use, or modification is done solely for
 *    personal benefit and not for any commercial purpose or for
 *    monetary gain.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:44 pm

I am not a lawyer, but to me it means you can't sell the software that uses his library, so it shouldn't be a problem for an open source project.

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1

Unread post by crashoverride » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:46 pm

mad_ady wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:44 pm
I am not a lawyer, but to me it means you can't sell the software that uses his library, so it shouldn't be a problem for an open source project.
I am not a lawyer either! However, its easier to see the issue if you unpack the sentence:

* 4. Any redistribution, use, or modification is done solely for
 *    personal benefit and not for any commercial purpose or for
 *    monetary gain.

* 4. Any [..] use [...]
 *    [..] for
 *    monetary gain.
If you use the software and record a video that you post on youtube and its monetized, then its potentially a violation.
If you post a link to the software on a site that has any advertisements, then its potentially a violation.

None of this means you will be sued, rather that you are exposed to being sued.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:34 pm

You should become a lawyer! :)

pmprog

Unread post by pmprog » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:00 am

Shame... I only saw the bit in the README.md which said
BTstack is free for non-commercial use. However, for commercial use, tell us a bit about your project to get a quote.

Mog

Unread post by Mog » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:36 pm

Oh good lord, that's a no then.

Still think the software keyboard / serial keyboard are a better option.

Mog

Unread post by Mog » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 pm

Final update

Pictures of it running:

Download link:

http://www.kupo.be/dist/C64%20Frodo-Go% ... 0190611.fw

It's unlikely I'll do any more to it as it does what I want it to do and there seems to be virtually zero interest in anything for programming on the device (possibly due to people mostly buying it for games, possibly due to the keyboard requirement)

In this release I've added PetDraw 64 by the 8 bit guy, a fairly useful tool for drawing text based screens, if you want to load the things in, just load the file it saved (which will load at an annoying address) then load qmenu.bin and SYS 49152 to actually copy it to the screen.

I've also much improved the quick menu (see the second picture)

The code to actually do so is here if anyone is interested. https://pastebin.com/YdMMN3dJ

konig
ODROIDs: GO
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by konig » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:38 am

there seems to be virtually zero interest in anything for programming on the device
Hey Mog, what sorts of programs/applications do you think would be interesting for a modern c64 platform?

The c64 was before my time so I'm a bit uninspired but at the same time have always wanted to learn BASIC (I also know some C and even less assembly but its something)

Return to “Game Emulators”