links awakening dx photo print stuck

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

links awakening dx photo print stuck

Unread postby Mambes » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:30 am

I am playing links awakening dx and after taking a photo with the camera guy I pressed print to see what it does. Turns out its for the game boy printer which is impossible for me to get. So the screen for the printing is not going away and so I quit pressing menu button. So every time I go on I'm stuck on a screen that is just looking at the image. Is there a way to load previous save? Or any solutions? Thx
Mambes

languages_spoken: english

Re: links awakening dx photo print stuck

Unread postby GldRush98 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:02 am

Your only option when it got stuck was to flip the power switch off then on to go back to the last save state.
Since you pressed the menu button while you were stuck, your game was saved like this. There is no previous save state.
Your only solution is to load the rom up, power off, hold start and power on to "Reset" the game. All of your progress is lost.
GldRush98

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID-Go

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:50 am

GldRush98 wrote:Your only solution is to load the rom up, power off, hold start and power on to "Reset" the game. All of your progress is lost.

The "cartridge" SRAM will still be present with any progress that was saved in it.
crashoverride

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby GldRush98 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:13 am

crashoverride wrote:
GldRush98 wrote:Your only solution is to load the rom up, power off, hold start and power on to "Reset" the game. All of your progress is lost.

The "cartridge" SRAM will still be present with any progress that was saved in it.

Are there any plans to get in-game saves working, so games can save and load from their built in functionality?
GldRush98

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:39 pm

GldRush98 wrote:Are there any plans to get in-game saves working, so games can save and load from their built in functionality?

Games have always been able to save and load from their in-game menus so I am uncertain what is being asked.
crashoverride

Unread postby Mambes » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:46 pm

how can i load game main menu?
Mambes

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:13 pm

Turn the device off. Hold the Start button. While holding Start, turn the device on. This causes the console to be reset, but the SRAM data is still available.
crashoverride

Unread postby GldRush98 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:48 pm

crashoverride wrote:
GldRush98 wrote:Are there any plans to get in-game saves working, so games can save and load from their built in functionality?

Games have always been able to save and load from their in-game menus so I am uncertain what is being asked.

Hmm, I have yet to see any in game saves work. For example, on the GBC, Tetris DX. Start up the game, put your name in, play a bit. Now switch the Odroid off and back on. All of your progress that would normally be saved in DX is gone.
Perhaps I'm missing a step some where on getting this to work properly...
GldRush98

Unread postby crashoverride » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:31 am

GldRush98 wrote:Perhaps I'm missing a step some where on getting this to work properly...

The game is saved when you press "Menu" . Press "Menu" and then turn off the device. When you turn it back on, press "B" to return to the game.

Alternatively, hold "Menu" and the game will be saved and the device will go to "sleep". You can then turn it off or press "Menu" again to wake it.

Game state is only saved when "Menu" is pressed to avoid wearing out the SD card and/or flash. The game has to be stopped to save it, and any "autosave" would cause pauses/studdering.
crashoverride

Unread postby GldRush98 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:39 am

Yes, I know how the save states work. They work quite well. :)

crashoverride wrote:The game has to be stopped to save it, and any "autosave" would cause pauses/studdering.

Ah that clears it up. So if games used their built in save function it would cause a stutter. No big deal, you just have to remember that the Menu button is your only save vector, not the game's saving feature.

But this kind of brings us back around to OP's question. If you haven't save-stated a game and the game gets in a stuck state (i.e. trying to "print" a photo), you can't reset to a place to access the game's save file since there is no game save file. You have to use the save state function regularly, and reset to the last time you save-stated.
GldRush98

Unread postby Obbe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:12 pm

If I understand correctly, if OP had first saved using the games original in-game system, and then had gone on to make the mistake of creating a save state while the game was frozen, he would have been able to load his SRAM save by resetting the game and loading from the in game menu.

However if a person were to attempt to save by using the in game menu, but they simply turned the odroid go off and did not create a save state by pressing the menu button, that SRAM data would be lost and they would not be able to load from the in game menu.
Obbe

ODROIDs: Odroid GO

Unread postby crashoverride » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:30 pm

Obbe wrote: but they simply turned the odroid go off and did not create a save state by pressing the menu button, that SRAM data would be lost and they would not be able to load from the in game menu.

Yes. Turning the device off loses all progress since the last save (using the Menu button). For example, if you save a game with "Menu" before fighting a tough boss and then lose, turning the device off and back on will restore to where you saved before the fight.
crashoverride

Return to Game Emulators