Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian
GoFightaRock
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU3, U3, C1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with XBMC for XU3

Unread post by GoFightaRock » Sat May 02, 2015 4:22 am

I'll check tonight when I get home. Sounds promising though.

Did you ever find out what's going on with the WiFi mod4? The RT2800usb module is definitely correct. Not sure why it wouldn't work properly.

GoFightaRock

Unread post by GoFightaRock » Sat May 02, 2015 11:48 am

All the packages but obexd installed correctly.

Code: Select all

root@odroid-wheezy:/home/odroid# dpkg -i /home/odroid/Desktop/bluez/bluez-obexd_5.23-2~odroid1_armhf.deb
dpkg: considering removing obexd-client in favour of bluez-obexd ...
dpkg: no, cannot proceed with removal of obexd-client (--auto-deconfigure will help):
 gnome-bluetooth depends on obexd-client
  obexd-client is to be removed.

dpkg: regarding .../bluez-obexd_5.23-2~odroid1_armhf.deb containing bluez-obexd:
 bluez-obexd conflicts with obexd-client
  obexd-client (version 0.46-1+b1) is present and installed.

dpkg: error processing /home/odroid/Desktop/bluez/bluez-obexd_5.23-2~odroid1_armhf.deb (--install):
 conflicting packages - not installing bluez-obexd
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /home/odroid/Desktop/bluez/bluez-obexd_5.23-2~odroid1_armhf.deb
root@odroid-wheezy:/home/odroid# 
EDIT: OK, so I removed gnome bluetooth in order to get the bluez-obexd package, I've gathered from other sources that I need the Bluez-plugins package. Can you backport that one was well?

I've got it recognizing the device and listing the MAC address, but it doesn't officially pair it and then cycles through re-discovering it until it finally halts.

root@odroid-wheezy:/home/odroid# bluetoothctl
[NEW] Controller 5C:F3:70:67:E2:27 odroid-wheezy-0 [default]
[NEW] Device 64:D4:BD:92:CC:16 64-D4-BD-92-CC-16
[bluetooth]# agent on
Agent registered
[bluetooth]# default-agent
Default agent request successful
[CHG] Device 64:D4:BD:92:CC:16 Connected: yes
[CHG] Device 64:D4:BD:92:CC:16 Connected: no
[CHG] Device 64:D4:BD:92:CC:16 Connected: yes
[bluetooth]# trust 64:D4:BD:92:CC:16
Changing 64:D4:BD:92:CC:16 trust succeeded
[bluetooth]# pair 64:D4:BD:92:CC:16
Attempting to pair with 64:D4:BD:92:CC:16
Failed to pair: org.bluez.Error.AuthenticationFailed
[CHG] Device 64:D4:BD:92:CC:16 Connected: no
[bluetooth]# 
Someone reporting a similar problem an Arch said the fix was the bluez-plugins package.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Sun May 03, 2015 5:02 am

i'll look into it :)

Edit:
Can't exactly find the package... maybe you can take a look and compare with the arch thread you found..
tell me which packages you want and i see what i can do:

apt-cache search bluez
blueman - Grafische Bluetooth-Verwaltung
bluetooth - Bluetooth-Unterstützung
bluez - Bluetooth-Werkzeuge und -Dienste
bluez-alsa - Bluetooth-Unterstützung für ALSA
bluez-audio - Übergangspaket
bluez-compat - Kompatibilitätsbinärdateien BlueZ 3.x
bluez-cups - CUPS-Druckertreiber für Bluetooth
bluez-dbg - Bluetooth-Werkzeuge und -Dienste (mit Debugsymbolen)
bluez-gstreamer - Bluetooth-Unterstützung für GStreamer
bluez-pcmcia-support - PCMCIA-Unterstützungsdateien für die BlueZ 2.0 Bluetooth-Programme
bluez-utils - Übergangspaket
libbluedevil1 - Qt-Wrapper für BlueZ
libbluetooth3 - Bibliothek zur Nutzung des BlueZ-Linux-Bluetooth-Stack
libbluetooth-dev - Entwicklungsdateien zum Benutzen der Bluetooth-Bibliothek BlueZ
python-bluez - Python-Wrapper um BlueZ für schnelle Bluetooth-Entwicklungen
libbluetooth3-dbg - Library to use the BlueZ Linux Bluetooth stack with debugging symbols
btscanner - ncurses-based scanner for Bluetooth devices
bluez-firmware - Firmware for Bluetooth devices
libbluedevil2 - Qt-Wrapper für BlueZ
libreoffice - Büroprogrammsammlung (Metapaket)
bluez-hcidump - Analyses Bluetooth HCI packets
bluez-obexd - bluez obex daemon
bluez-test-scripts - BlueZ test scripts
bluez-tools - Set of tools to manage Bluetooth devices for linux
connman - Intel Connection Manager daemon
connman-dev - Development files for connman
connman-vpn - Intel Connection Manager daemon - VPN daemon
libnet-bluetooth-perl - Perl interface to Bluetooth libraries
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

GoFightaRock

Unread post by GoFightaRock » Sun May 03, 2015 7:12 am

I can't find the package ANYWHERE ha.

I found the commit where it is first mentioned though back in August of last year.

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/a ... 51288.html

Search for "rev 220140" on page and it'll bring you right to it. Is it possible that since that Bluez 1.22 release it's been obsorbed by another package in the current bluez you just backported? If that's the case, I've been through all the bluez .conf files and can't find the "sixaxis-(enable/disable)" line.

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Sun May 03, 2015 7:49 am

ok, just did a check on --enable-sixaxis it was already defined in the sources... so i searched for sixaxis.so and found there are some extra packages which i compiled but missed...
sixaxis is part of the package libbluetooth and libbluetooth-dev.. i just uploaded them to the same folder as the others are :)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

nuttijay
ODROIDs: u3 xu3

Unread post by nuttijay » Sat May 16, 2015 1:33 am

Cheers meveric, evryone first...

my question: in the original image for the XU3 you can enable DP via

fdtput -t s /media/boot/exynos5422-odroidxu3.dtb /dp-controller@145B0000 status "okay"
whilst using an active DP->HDMI Adapter, i pushed the hdmi to my beamer. But the display does not show up with xrandr, couldnt come to fiddle with modelines for the DP port.

think, that would be an nice gimmick too to have with Gamestation Turbo - Dualhead - *grins*.

I am using

Linux josephine 3.10.72+ #2 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 6 02:47:36 CEST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

3745512960 Feb 22 20:09 ODROID-GameStation-Turbo-1.6-20150222-XU3-jessie.img
I think the dtb has to be rebuild, missing that section probably - have not diffed that?!

thanks

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat May 16, 2015 2:13 am

Kernel and dtb are the same for both images... on the jessie image there is a little issue on booting... which i already figured out how to fix (adding rootfs to fstab is required).
I'm currently working on the U3 Jessie image and will come back to the XU3 afterwards.. i think DP is not so easy.. there is a topic about this here in forum, where it says you have to find the right timings for your TV.. so no general setting

nuttijay
ODROIDs: u3 xu3

Unread post by nuttijay » Sat May 16, 2015 11:00 pm

disagree about dp and not so easy...

have no running xu3 hardkernel ubuntu image...

But:
this is what is set in src/linux/arch/arm/boot/dts/exynos5422-odroidxu3.dts

/* AOC 22" DP Config */
        dp-controller@145B0000 {
                status = "disabled";
                samsung,hpd-gpio = <&gpx0 7 3>;
so the ftdput switched the DP on - no problemo. DP-1 showed up in xrandr. Setting timings etc was done via xrandr. As mentioned - an active DP->HDMI adapter was doing the trick....

Btw... what happened to the XU3 Jessie Base img - i meant to have seen something on the Download of yours ? ;)

cheers
nj

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun May 17, 2015 1:40 am

nuttijay wrote:disagree about dp and not so easy...

have no running xu3 hardkernel ubuntu image...

But:
this is what is set in src/linux/arch/arm/boot/dts/exynos5422-odroidxu3.dts

/* AOC 22" DP Config */
        dp-controller@145B0000 {
                status = "disabled";
                samsung,hpd-gpio = <&gpx0 7 3>;
so the ftdput switched the DP on - no problemo. DP-1 showed up in xrandr. Setting timings etc was done via xrandr. As mentioned - an active DP->HDMI adapter was doing the trick....
First of all the Kernel i use and is generally the same that HardKernel is using.. If the default on the dts is that DP is disabled, that's coming from HardKernel and has nothing to do with my image or the Ubuntu image.
You might want to ask HardKernel why they deactivated it. I mean i can easily activate it and build a new Kernel.. But i have nothing here to test if it's working or not, and probably won't know if it causes any issues, so i'm not sure if it's a good idea to just activate something that HardKernel deactivated for whatever reason.
nuttijay wrote:Btw... what happened to the XU3 Jessie Base img - i meant to have seen something on the Download of yours ? ;)
cheers
nj
The Image still exists, but is far from being stable: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/OGS ... sie.img.xz
As mentioned before, i'm working on the U3 Jessie image right now. When that's done i can rather easily port it to the XU3, so when that's done i will publish a new Jessie image for the XU3.

GoFightaRock

Unread post by GoFightaRock » Fri May 22, 2015 3:14 am

I still can't manage to get my wifi mod 4 to work with this distro.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:27 am

i've updated the kernel to the latest version including r5p1 patches.. when you update the Kernel make sure you have malit628-odroid package installed as well. It has the new r5p1 drivers inside.

GoFightaRock

Unread post by GoFightaRock » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:33 am

Is that maliT628 package the screen drop fix or is that a myth? I've been too busy lately with my U3 I haven't used the XU3 in close to a month it seems. =P

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:26 pm

at least since r5p0 there Mali blobs do not have tearing (or so little that is not noticeable) and it introduced OpenGL ES 3.1 rather than 3.0.. Everything else is the same.
The new Kernel should have tripple buffer activated.. what ever that might be good for^^

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:36 am

@GoFightaRock (and everyone else)
if you're still interested in getting PS3 wireless controller to work on the ODROID there is good news.
I ported the sixad package to the ODROID devices, which allows you to pair your PS3 controller to the ODROID.
here's how you can do it:

su
apt-get install sixad
# plugin your PS3 controller via USB cable
sixpair
service sixad start
Unplug the PS3 controller from USB.
If you now press the PS button for a few seconds the controller should vibrate and get registered on the ODROID and is ready to use.
Remember you need a blutooth dongle connected to your ODROID to do all this

phaseshifter
ODROIDs: U-2,U3+,,XU-3,,XU3-LITE,,XU-4
C1+,,C-2,,,
N-1,,N-2,...other odroid acc`s as well

Unread post by phaseshifter » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:32 am

how do i get it to run in 1024 X 768 ....
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:49 am

how do you get what to run in 1024x768?

Pienoet
languages_spoken: english Dutch

Unread post by Pienoet » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:25 pm

is this xbmc in your image or kodi if it is xbmc ius it easy to upgrade to kodi?

GoFightaRock

Unread post by GoFightaRock » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:18 pm

The image uses XBMC 13.2 "Gotham", and while it is very easy to get Kodi by simply running an apt-get command, you'll lose the ability to use a pre-configured Xbox controller by doing so.

apt-get install kodi-odroid
If being able to run the system with just a gamepad and no keyboard and mouse isn't a concern for you, the above is all you need.

Meveric - on this note, is xboxdrv already set up for use with a dualshock 3 controller? If I set up a shell script to boot up and launch sixad, would it be able to operate XBMC like the Xbox controller?

Pienoet
languages_spoken: english Dutch

Unread post by Pienoet » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:32 pm

GoFightaRock wrote:The image uses XBMC 13.2 "Gotham", and while it is very easy to get Kodi by simply running an apt-get command, you'll lose the ability to use a pre-configured Xbox controller by doing so.

If being able to run the system with just a gamepad and no keyboard and mouse isn't a concern for you, the above is all you need.

Meveric - on this note, is xboxdrv already set up for use with a dualshock 3 controller? If I set up a shell script to boot up and launch sixad, would it be able to operate XBMC like the Xbox controller?
And is this image boot right into kodi then?

GoFightaRock

Unread post by GoFightaRock » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:37 am

I haven't done the upgrade personally, but you can add any program to the on start up list by going under preferences>start up programs from the home screen toolbar.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:41 am

Pienoet wrote:is this xbmc in your image or kodi if it is xbmc ius it easy to upgrade to kodi?
as @GoFightaRock said the easierst way is to do

Pienoet wrote:And is this image boot right into kodi then?
No, it will only install Kodi if you want it to autostart, you have to add the launcher to /home/odroid/.config/autostart/ or use the Control Center to add it as a Startup Application, or as @GoFightaRock said go to System -> Preferences -> Start up programs
The image was created for XBMC, but it's easy to adapt it for Kodi.
GoFightaRock wrote:Meveric - on this note, is xboxdrv already set up for use with a dualshock 3 controller? If I set up a shell script to boot up and launch sixad, would it be able to operate XBMC like the Xbox controller?
First, you don't need to make a start script, the .deb file creates a system service which will be started on boot. (Debian Wheezy/Ubuntu until 14.04/14.10). I still have some issues with systemd (Ubuntu 15.04 and Debian Jessie), i have a package that can create a systemd configuration... but it's not very reliable.. sixad is actually having quite some issues on systemd, there are even some bug tickets for it on launchpad.
Besides the autostart.. I did not configure an xboxdrv for DualShock 3 up. I don't know if XBMC works out of the box or not, haven't tried that yet, but i might in a little bit.
Also that might interfere with other games and emulators. For example i created a new PPSSPP .deb package which finds if your controller is a XBox360 or a PS3 controller and maps the buttons accoringly.

kit897
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread post by kit897 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:33 am

Hi, first post and new to the world of ODROID :)

So I've just brought a XU4 and was wondering if you will be optimising your images to make use of the extra power of the board over the XU3?

Also I see that the XU3 hasn't been updated since Feb this year, any plans to bring it upto date in line with the image for U2/3 you also have. Like I said new to the world of ODROID but definitely willing to help in testing if required.

Oh and thanks for all the hand work yo have done in building your images too ;)

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:34 am

kit897 wrote:... to make use of the extra power of the board over the XU3?
This made me smile :)
the XU3 and XU4 use the same SoC there is no extra power of the XU4 over XU3 they are identical and have the same power :)

But yes, i'm already working on a new image, it's not 100% ready yet, but a preview can be found here: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/OGS ... sie.img.xz
I still need to do some final changes.. and might add a couple more emulators (as well as updated version of all emulators) if i have time for it :)

I'm always looking forward for some feedback... I already got some for the XU4 which made me uploading the new Jessie image..

kit897

Unread post by kit897 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:59 am

oops my bad :oops:

clearly i've confused the benchmark results with the U3, thinking it was the XU3 haha :lol:

Think i'll give your preview image a test run, thanks!

kit897

Unread post by kit897 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:11 pm

messed around with the Preview version a bit last night and do occasionally get the black screen now and again even if xbmc is in windowed mode and not fullscreen. its the same with retroarch. i can get around it sometimes with the ctrl+alt+F1/F7 mentioned previously (not tried creating a script yet), but other times i have power down the board because its not responsive at all.

does retroarch and xbmc use the same emulators? i'm assuming so but reason i ask is because when importing games into xbmc if it can't find the artwork, it stops with the importing task until there is user interaction confirming the user is aware that the artwork file could not be found. so can't really import unless i sit at the screen until its done.

Is there a work around to this, or even just ignore trying to download all artwork? Looked in various settings within XMBC and couldn't find anything.

Also I've tried to install and run EmulationStation but doesn't seem to work. I installed it via System>Administration>Packages and its showing its installed. But when I run it run Applications>Games nothing happens?

Likewise when trying to run PPSSPP that doesn't appear to work either, nothing happens?

Sorry if any of the above and dumb or silly questions, or the answers have already been stated, but couldn't really find any info. Thanks

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:17 am

kit897 wrote:messed around with the Preview version a bit last night and do occasionally get the black screen now and again even if xbmc is in windowed mode and not fullscreen.
The Black screen issue is the most annoying issue with the XU3/XU4 series right now.. it doesn't matter what image you use, it's always present when you switch from a fullscreen app to window mode, or back to desktop.. I really wished this issue would be solved, it's such a show stopper :(
kit897 wrote:its the same with retroarch. i can get around it sometimes with the ctrl+alt+F1/F7 mentioned previously (not tried creating a script yet), but other times i have power down the board because its not responsive at all.
As i said it happens with every fullscreen 3D application... It get's even more serious.. If a black screen happens and right after another 3D application is started, you end up in a Kernel panic and the system crashes.. or needs to reboot to work again. This happens for example if you start a game from XBMC.. starting the game will leave full screen mode of XBMC -> this can cause the black screen issue.. but since retroarch is a 3D fullscreen program started the moment XBMC goes to window mode this causes a crash... It really sucks... doesn't happen always but way too often :(
kit897 wrote:does retroarch and xbmc use the same emulators?
XBMC is used as a frontend for retroarch.. retroarch is used as a frontend for libretro cores.. Basicly retroarch is started through XBMC.. and XBMC is used to give an easy to use interface with preview pictures..
kit897 wrote:i ask is because when importing games into xbmc if it can't find the artwork, it stops with the importing task until there is user interaction confirming the user is aware that the artwork file could not be found. so can't really import unless i sit at the screen until its done.
Is there a work around to this, or even just ignore trying to download all artwork? Looked in various settings within XMBC and couldn't find anything.
It seems some of the scrapper are not working properly anymore.. choose "GiantBomb" as a only scrapper.. This should work really good :)
You can also set it to "none" if you don't want any artworks at all, but i would go for GiantBomb.
kit897 wrote:Also I've tried to install and run EmulationStation but doesn't seem to work. I installed it via System>Administration>Packages and its showing its installed. But when I run it run Applications>Games nothing happens?
Yes, the package was actually miss-configured the starter under Applications->Games was broken (typing emulationstation in the console would have worked).. I just uploaded a new version that fixes that issue. If make an upgrade you should get the fixed version "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade".
Still even if you run the emulator.. EmulationStation does not work without configuration you need to configure it first.. check /home/odroid/.emulationstation/ after the first run.. you need to configure every emulator and game path in here to make emulationstation working properly.
One extra note to EmulationStation.. EmulationStation is also just a dumb frontend.. And starts other emulators to run the actual games.. Therefore it must quit fullscreen mode as well which can also cause the black screen issue :)
But EmulationStation does not start in Window mode, or you can't switch in window mode prior to run the game (like you can do with XBMC). So it's more likely to cause issues :)
kit897 wrote:Likewise when trying to run PPSSPP that doesn't appear to work either, nothing happens?
PPSSPP seems to have an issue with the joystick configuration that i implemented.. i need to take a closer look at this.. If you have an Xbox360 controller or a PS3 controller connected to your ODROID it runs fine, but it does not seem to work without a controller. So make sure you have a controller of any kind connected to your ODROID (even if it's not an XBox360 or PS3 controller)
kit897 wrote:Sorry if any of the above and dumb or silly questions, or the answers have already been stated, but couldn't really find any info. Thanks
Nope that's actually fine.. i'm always looking forward to feedback :)

kit897

Unread post by kit897 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:00 am

thanks for the informative response :)

Rocket

Unread post by Rocket » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:02 am

Here is a wallpaper id like to share. I am currently using the Jessie test image on XU4. Looking forward to future releases.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:54 pm

looks really nice :)

I'm working on an improved version of the Jessie image with new features :)

albanibr
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: C2 / N2 4gb

Unread post by albanibr » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:10 pm

Exactly what I was looking for!

someone could confirm that the addons kodi works?

specifically the sickrage and CouchPotato

thanks!!

nonekiller001
ODROIDs: xu4

Unread post by nonekiller001 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:20 pm

I have tried all versions of this os my xu4 and for some reason it freezes on 1/2 tvs i have. One tv it works just fine, but the other it freezes when it load xbmc. Any idea of how to fix this?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:51 pm

Can you be more specific what you did and what you mean by freezes?
Right now use the Jessie testing image, it should give best results.

nonekiller001

Unread post by nonekiller001 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:44 am

Basically what happens is the Jessie testing image boots, i see the desktop and i can move the mouse. Then xbmc starts up and it basically locks up, i can see the mouse but it doesn't move, and the keyboard doesn't move the gui. But if i switch to tty2 and then back to tty7 sometimes xbmc has moved.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:39 am

i just found an issue why working on the image..
try booting up without network cable or WIFI connected exit XBMC and right click the network manager icon unselect the notification for networks.
Maybe that fixes it for you.

nonekiller001

Unread post by nonekiller001 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:54 am

That still didn't fix the problem, as i don't have a Ethernet cable or wifi dongle pluged in. To clarify, it freezes with the xbmc gui still showing, not a black screen as the bug your describing. Although i did have the Ethernet black screen bug on the tv that doesn't freeze, that's how i know what your talking about.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:00 am

hmm i guess you made all the upgrades available?

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
if so, try reinstalling mali drivers.. i think they might have been overwritten with MESA drivers.

apt-get install --reinstall malit628-odroid

nonekiller001

Unread post by nonekiller001 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:16 am

im using a the stock the Jessie testing os, i havent updated anything. As i said it works on one tv but it freezes on the xbmc gui on another tv.
http://postimg.org/image/dmls8xb6j/
it freezes here and when i switch back and forth the ttl the mouse moves, other wise it stays frozen.

Update, i figured out if you edit the boot.ini and uncomment:
# 1920x1080 (1080P) without monitor data using generic information (1080p-noedid)
setenv videoconfig "drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/1920x1080.bin"

it dosent freeze in the resolution, but most of the screen is cut off and it looks like trash, i tried the other resolutions but only this worked. Is there anyway to fix this?

Cartridge
languages_spoken: english, french natively
ODROIDs: The Perfect ODROID-U2, ODROID-U3+, C1, XU3

Unread post by Cartridge » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:34 am

Does Jessie have the same speed as does 7.8 or does it reach ubuntu speeds? Do you understand my question?
http://cartridgeports.cf/
ODROID's DO what WinDON'T "That's Blast Processing!"

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:07 am

Guess that depends on what you meassure the speed.
I beleave booting time for both was always very similar.
Up to Ubuntu 14.04, Debian Wheezy normally out-performed applications over Ubuntu, starting from 14.04 they seem to be similar.
Jessie is rather fast due to systemd especially powering off is really fast.
You can always try the U2/U3 image..

If you mean something else with "speed" you have to explain it better.

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:37 am

Yes, I forgot to mention "es2gears" speed results if they were the same in Jessie and 7.8

I was getting ready to leave so I kinda asked the question in a hurry xD I'm home now.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:38 pm

don't know if es2gears is any kind of speed benchmark you should rely on.. even on my U3 es2gears runs faster than on the XU3 (using the same OS)

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:42 pm

For my compilation I need the most frames possible as I can get. Deciding between the two is hard when you only have 1 MicroSD to mess around with. Ubuntu is no doubt not a choice to go to when you want to play games. Ubuntu is made to work with and use office, surf the net and use Youtube. Debian is the way to go but... Wheezy or Jessie?? @_o?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:02 am

Actually, Ubuntu is made for consumers, especially for gamers as well (in x86 world) in fact Steam came first out for Ubuntu 12.04 NOT for Debian.
Many system administrators prefer Debian over Ubuntu when it comes to servers, since Debian is more stable than Ubuntu. Another sign, that Debian is normally not made for gaming directly.
There are also more games available for Ubuntu then there are for Debian.

That all said, i still prefer Debian way over Ubuntu, at least when it comes to ARM.
Debian Wheezy is even older than Ubuntu 12.04 (libc6 2.13 vs 2.15) still under Wheezy you have Qt5 libraries, that aren't even available on 14.04. So thanks to the maintainers you have very good support and a very stable system.

Concerning Debian Wheezy vs Jessie. Official Debian Wheezy support will end around April 2016, after that a third party will take over LTS support until May 2018.
Still not all packages will be maintained.
Besides that, as i said, Debian Wheezy is rather old (even when it came out it was already old) with libc6 2.13 you will have many issues with new releases.
Debian Jessie is more future proof, libc6 2.19 should be good for a long time. gcc 4.9 is available for Debian Jessie, which got quite some optimization for ARM and should help improve software in the future.
I use Debian Jessie on a daily basis on my U3 and i can't complain much about it.
I have a few issues with some games here and there (which worked under Wheezy but not under Jessie at the moment) but i guess i can figure this out eventually.

I would say go for Jessie, it's the better choice

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:14 am

I tried and downloaded the jessie version. After hours of trying to put it on my eMMC, no success. The md5 sum didint check out. I then realized I had an older revision on the computer and used that.
It worked. It was taking too much time and I wouldn't wait another 1h15minutes to redownload the image so the 02/2015 one worked well. At least till I did apt-get update and then apt-get install malit628-odroid. Installing that made my situation worse and don't know what's really causing it... dang.

What does malit628-odroid.deb provide in terms of files? Each of em. I'll try and get them back on an older revision. Extracting and mounting the image will work to get the files?

Found out how to see what malit628 provides. Seems a bit complicated and long process. Meveric, do you have a slightly older revision of your malit628-odroid.deb file?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:32 am

it's not an issue of the mali package but more likely a issue of a missing Kernel update on your side..
The "old" Debian Jessie image (version 1.6) was probably still using Mali r4p0 drivers.. we use right now r5p1 drivers but you need the matching Kernel for this as well.. so only updating malit628 package won't do any good, since you're missing the Kernel to support these drivers.

Funny though, that you say the md5sum of the current image did not check out, when i don't even provide md5sums for the images ;)
I guess this weekend i will upload the final 3.1 release of my image for XU3/XU4.. so if you can wait until then you probably get a much better image :)

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:03 am

Which kernel should I install and is it available on your repo? Should dist-upgrade do the trick?

--edit--
I never found what causes this following error when updating :

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.116) ...
ln: failed to create hard link ‘/boot/initrd.img-3.10.69+.dpkg-bak’ => ‘/boot/initrd.img-3.10.69+’: Operation not permitted
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.10.69+

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:43 am

That's what my repos are for and yes apt-get dist-upgrade does the trick ;)
Current Kernel is 3.10.82+

The error you saw is caused by us using vfat (fat16) as filesystem for boot.. fat16 does not support symbolic links from Linux.. that's why that operation fails.

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:07 am

I'm very sorry to be a bother but I have another problem not related to the old one I have. After dist upgrade it still does not recognize egl. But no matter with this problem. This one happened with dist upgrade and now I have this error causing me to not be able to use su or sudo.

Setting up avahi-daemon (0.6.31-5) ...
Job for avahi-daemon.service failed. See 'systemctl status avahi-daemon.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript avahi-daemon, action "restart" failed.
dpkg: error processing package avahi-daemon (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Setting up network-manager (0.9.10.0-7) ...
Job for NetworkManager.service failed. See 'systemctl status NetworkManager.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript network-manager, action "restart" failed.
dpkg: error processing package network-manager (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 avahi-daemon
 network-manager

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:36 am

well as it says you should type:

journalctl -xn
to see what's the issue :)
Or use the 3.0-RC1 image.. that should work better.. or as i said, wait a couple days and try the 3.1 image that i'm gonna release.

Cartridge

Unread post by Cartridge » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:01 am

I'll wait :D

Return to “OGST-XU4”