ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with XBMC for XU3/XU4

Unread postby tipoto » Wed May 10, 2017 4:31 am

I did some tests yesterday and I still don't understand the way reicast manages the time settings!
The RTC number you gave me is the number that reicast puts automatically into the "Dreamcast.RTC =" field when you leave the date by default. The conversion of this time-stamp is actually 20 years later than the default time.
If we change the default date, let's say we enter 05/09/2017, then the emulator will update the "Dreamcast.RTC =" field with again a number that actually says 20 years later (05/09/2037). But no matter what I put manually in emu.cfg, the value will always be updated automatically.
It happened a few times (not all the time) that it skipped the time/date screen, but it was always when I was launching the system manager, otherwise it always ask for the time. It's not a big deal, but it's a little bit annoying.

Beside this, I tested to convert randomly one GDI rom into CHD format, and it worked perfectly in reicast, it was "Zero Gunner 2". After testing both versions, I didn't notice any difference... So I'm going to use as much as I can this format now ;)

It seems that I don't have any corrupted VMUs anymore. Maybe the fact that I updated reicast to fix the rumble pack issue also fixed that. However, now I always return to the main menu before exiting a game, I should try being less carefully to see what happens.

One last thing, I noticed that by default reicast runs at 50fps (which is good if you live in Europe), but if you need to change this, you need to set Dreamcast.Broadcast = 2 (default is 4).
I didn't notice any visual difference yet, I have to test with games that can be handled at 60 fps I guess.
tipoto

languages_spoken: French, English & Spanish
ODROIDs: ODROID-XU4

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 10, 2017 5:45 am

tipoto wrote:I did some tests yesterday and I still don't understand the way reicast manages the time settings!
The RTC number you gave me is the number that reicast puts automatically into the "Dreamcast.RTC =" field when you leave the date by default. The conversion of this time-stamp is actually 20 years later than the default time.
If we change the default date, let's say we enter 05/09/2017, then the emulator will update the "Dreamcast.RTC =" field with again a number that actually says 20 years later (05/09/2037). But no matter what I put manually in emu.cfg, the value will always be updated automatically.
It happened a few times (not all the time) that it skipped the time/date screen, but it was always when I was launching the system manager, otherwise it always ask for the time. It's not a big deal, but it's a little bit annoying.

I really don't know how this works either.. one day it just stopped for me and ever since I never got bothered again.
tipoto wrote:Beside this, I tested to convert randomly one GDI rom into CHD format, and it worked perfectly in reicast, it was "Zero Gunner 2". After testing both versions, I didn't notice any difference... So I'm going to use as much as I can this format now ;)

That's good to hear and is also what I'm doing. :)
tipoto wrote:One last thing, I noticed that by default reicast runs at 50fps (which is good if you live in Europe), but if you need to change this, you need to set Dreamcast.Broadcast = 2 (default is 4).
I didn't notice any visual difference yet, I have to test with games that can be handled at 60 fps I guess.

I'm not sure about that. Many games have an option to switch between 50Hz and 60Hz. I normally use PAL versions if I can get them and they often let you choose. I also use the European BIOS files (I like the blue logo more than the red/orange one). But it also runs NTSC games fine. Zero Gunner 2 for example runs on 60 FPS. If you start reicast from terminal (dc-xbmc <ROM>) you can see the output from the emulator in the terminal.. the refresh rate is shown with the V: prefix as far as I know, and it's either 50 or 60 depending on the game and settings.

I never had to change the Broadcast settings. In fact I never changed the Region settings either... I wonder if some games would work if I adjust these settings... well not that I would complain.. most of the games I want to play work fine as it is.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby tipoto » Wed May 10, 2017 7:59 am

When I did my tests with the broadcast settings, I was launching reicast from the terminal but I just launched the system manager, and I read the output. I will test with one game where I can decide the refresh (like Crazy Taxi) and another where you can't, that way I will see what happens. ;)
I didn't change the region settings either, I didn't find any documentation about the region code, I suppose 1 is for US, 2 Europe and 3 for Australia and more, but I'm not sure at all and since I never had any issues with that, I also left it set by default (3).

Could you share the list of games that you managed to run with reicast please? I will share mine as well (once I have access to it). If I remember correctly, I have 39 working games for the moment (I will add more eventually).
tipoto

Unread postby tipoto » Wed May 10, 2017 1:25 pm

Here is my current list of working games (Dreamcast / reicast):
Bomberman Online (USA)
Border Down (JAP)
Chu Chu Rocket (EUROPE)
Crazy Taxi (USA)
Crazy Taxi 2 (USA)
Daytona USA 2001 (USA)
Dino Crisis (USA)
Fur Fighters (USA)
Gigawing 2 (USA)
Guilty Gear X (JAP)
Ikaruga (JAP)
Jet Grind Radio (USA)
Marvel vs Capcom (USA)
Metropolis Street Racer (USA)
Power Stone (USA)
Power Stone 2 (EUROPE)
Project Justice Rival Schools 2 (EUROPE)
Rainbow Cotton (JAP)
Red Dog-Superior Firepower (USA)
Resident Evil code Veronica (USA) DISC 1
Resident Evil code Veronica (USA) DISC 2
San Francisco Rush 2049 (USA)
Sega GT (USA)
Shenmue (USA)
Sonic Adventure (USA)
Sonic Adventure 2 (USA)
Soul Calibur (USA)
Super Magnetic Neo (USA)
Tech Romancer (USA)
Tetris 4D (JAP)
Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 (USA)
Under Defeat (JAP)
Toy Commander (USA)
V-Rally 2 Expert Edition (EUROPE)
Virtua Fighter 3TB (USA)
Virtua Tennis (USA)
Virtua Tennis 2 (EUROPE)
Walt Disney World Quest-Magical Racing Tour (USA)
Zero Gunner 2 (JAP)
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 10, 2017 2:28 pm

tipoto wrote:Could you share the list of games that you managed to run with reicast please? I will share mine as well (once I have access to it). If I remember correctly, I have 39 working games for the moment (I will add more eventually).

I've tested somewhat between 100~200 games of which about 60-70 % were working O_o
Let's just take the CHD files I currently have... I probably have about twice as much cdi files
CHD:

Aqua GT
Bangai-O
Border Down
Capcom vs. SNK
Coaster Works
Crazy Taxi 2
Crazy Taxi
Daytona USA 2001
Dead or Alive 2
ECCO the Dolphin - Defender of the Future
Evolution 2 - Far Off Promise
Evolution - The World of Sacred Device
Expendable
Fatal Fury - Mark of the Wolves
Giga Wing 2
Giga Wing
Grandia II
Gundam - Side Story 0079 - Rise from the Ashes
Heavy Metal - Geomatrix
Hydro Thunder
Ikaruga
Incoming
Kidou Senshi Gundam - Gihren no Yabou - Zeon no Keifu
Magforce Racing
Maken X
Metropolis Street Racer (Europe) - [V1.009]
Moho
Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2
Rayman 2 - The Great Escape
Red Dog - Superior Firepower
Rez
Sega GT
Seventh Cross Evolution
Skies of Arcadia
Sonic Adventure 2
Soul Calibur
Spider-Man
Star Wars - Episode I - Jedi Power Battles
Star Wars - Episode I - Racer
Suzuki ALSTARE Extreme Racing
Sword of the Berserk - Guts' Rage
Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2
Unreal Tournament
Zero Gunner 2

And this are only a few selected onces, I had more but removed them since I didn't like them much..
My list of CDi files is longer.. since I did not really sort them
working.txt
list of DreamCast CDi files
(7.33 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

But not all of them work without issues there are some that have glitches, but work anyway.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby tipoto » Wed May 10, 2017 3:56 pm

This is a great list! It will save time to the people (like me) looking for the working games ;).
Thanks!
I tried to launch a game with Dreamcast.broadcast set to 2 then set to 4, and it seems that you were right, the fps is decided by the game itself, no matter what you have set in you emu.cfg. The broadcast setting only affects reicast when you launch it without any game loaded (for the system manager).
tipoto

Unread postby tipoto » Wed May 10, 2017 4:10 pm

I actually found a way to fix the issue with the date/time screen, and I even have the current time!!!
I followed this post from retropie: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/post/53941

Install dreamcast emulator "NullDC"
start dreamcast without a game and you are in the bios
make your settings (date,time,language) and exit the bios
NullDC just create a new file in the /data directory : dc_nvmem.bin
rename dc_nvmem.bin to dc_flash.bin and copy the file to "/home/odroid/.reicast/data", overwrite existing file
start reicast with a game and have fun without the date/time setting screen
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 10, 2017 4:50 pm

interesting.. I might try that.. question is, what's gonna happen if you have it "offline" for several months.
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Wed May 10, 2017 4:58 pm

I don't know. I have a RTC battery connected to my XU4, hopefully in my case it will prevent to see the problem coming back again.
If you try it, you should backup your current dc_flash.bin file, just in case ;)
I noticed the time is not correct though, the date is good, the minutes are good, but the hour is completely wrong and it doesn't care the hour I set in NullDC, I tried different hours and the result is always the same.
Let's see what happens in the next couple of days/weeks.
tipoto

Unread postby tipoto » Thu May 11, 2017 7:13 pm

YES!!!
I finally managed to make the time/date work perfectly with reicast!!!
Yesterday I thought that the problem was fixed, but it wasn't. Reicast didn't ask to enter the time anymore, which was great, but the time wasn't exact (I had an offset of 1 hour at the beginning) and the time was frozen while the emulator wasn't running. So the offset was getting bigger and bigger...

But I finally found the exact rule that reicast uses with the Dreamcast.RTC field. It actually needs your local time minus or plus the offset between your local time and Greenwich time (GMT), AND you need to add 20 years :D... So logical right?

So here are the steps to get your time/date always updated when you launch a Dreamcast game:
1) Backup these 2 files /home/odroid/.reicast/data/dc_flash.bin and /home/odroid/.reicast/emu.cfg, just in case.
2) If reicast always asks you to set the time/date, then you need to fix that first, otherwise you can go to the next step. Here is how to fix the probem:
- Install dreamcast emulator "NullDC"
- Start dreamcast without a game and you are in the bios
- Make your settings (date,time,language) and exit the bios
- NullDC just created a new file in the /data directory : dc_nvmem.bin
- Rename dc_nvmem.bin to dc_flash.bin and copy the file to "/home/odroid/.reicast/data", overwrite existing file
- Start reicast with or without a game to check if you don't have the screen again

3) You need to run these lines before launching a game. So the lines have to be added to your Dreamcast launch script. Here they are:
Code: Select all
### Update the time/date in emu.cfg
time_offset=$(date +'%:::z') # Get how many hours of difference between local time and Greenwich time (GTM)
newtime=$(date -d "$(date -d "+20 years $time_offset hours" +%D) $(date -d "+20 years $time_offset hours" +%T)" +"%s")
# The result is in seconds (ex: 2125613317) with an offset of +20 years
sudo perl -i -p -e "s|Dreamcast.RTC = .*|Dreamcast.RTC = "$newtime"|" /home/odroid/.reicast/emu.cfg # Replace Dreamcast.RTC value in emu.cfg

It should work with any timezones... Hopefully!
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Thu May 11, 2017 9:46 pm

looks good.. I'm gonna try that later. It could easily be adapted in the starting script, as long as it uses a working dc_flash.bin.
Thanks for all the investigation and testing you did in that topic :)
I really love Dreamcast and it's very fun to play on the ODROID. In fact I never had a Jump pack for my Dreamcast and was surprised about the quality when I first tried it on reicast.
I think I missed something good on the Dreamcast.
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Fri May 12, 2017 1:58 am

No problem :D
I really like the Dreamcast too, it's a shame that this system didn't get the response that it deserved at the time. It was ahead of its time and had an incredible library.

By the way, I also have a few lines in my starting script which re-assign the controllers ID in emu.cfg (just before launching the games). That way you can plug or unplug any devices you want without creating any issues with the reicast controller ID assignments.
It is specific to the Xbox360 controllers though, but it can be adapted to any controllers.
If I remember correctly, I think you already wrote something for that in your script recently (I should double-check), but if you need it, I can also share this part.
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Fri May 12, 2017 2:11 am

tipoto wrote:I really like the Dreamcast too, it's a shame that this system didn't get the response that it deserved at the time. It was ahead of its time and had an incredible library.

I agree, the Dreamcast was/is incredible and besides the PSP the best looking console on the ODROID anyway :)
There are some games I really love on the Dreamcast, although I'm tempted to play them on the real console again... Skies of Arcadia had a minigame where you needed to find tiny crystal pieces with the Cupil and it used the VMU as a beacon when you got close.

tipoto wrote:By the way, I also have a few lines in my starting script which re-assign the controllers ID in emu.cfg (just before launching the games). That way you can plug or unplug any devices you want without creating any issues with the reicast controller ID assignments.

I already do the same.. even wireless PS3 crontoller gets mapped automatically :)
meveric

Unread postby Phoenixkonsole » Sun May 14, 2017 7:41 pm

Hi,
is it intentional that if I run a amiga game I get always the requesters about "accuracy" and "ROM" ?
I thought it would be fine if it was asked only once per game. If it doesn't work, one could change it manually.

Also i would like to disable floppy sounds by default but if I edit your base configs, this will not change anything when a new config files ist created.
Phoenixkonsole

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3

Unread postby meveric » Sun May 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Phoenixkonsole wrote:Hi,
is it intentional that if I run a amiga game I get always the requesters about "accuracy" and "ROM" ?

Yes, since some people were complaining that the default is bad and wouldn't work for most games.
Phoenixkonsole wrote:I thought it would be fine if it was asked only once per game. If it doesn't work, one could change it manually.

Well that's something I might adapt, generally that would work, but currently I just let the config files be recreated each time. I could make a check up front if the files already exist and then skip the question.
But I'm not sure about this, cause if someone selected the wrong option he needs to know where to find and how to correct it, which means if you want to use it as a console without keyboard connected, you are screwed once you selected the wrong option.
It also makes it impossible to test around with different accuracy settings if you don't know up front which one works best. I'm not sure if I would like that.
I could probably make a question like "use last settings?" and if that's answered with NO, it will ask the question about Kickstart and Accuracy again.
Phoenixkonsole wrote:Also i would like to disable floppy sounds by default but if I edit your base configs, this will not change anything when a new config files ist created.

Actually it would, but the regex that replaced the floppy disk images inside the config file also removes the values for the sound.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look at it how it can be improved.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 15, 2017 7:45 am

I've uploaded new starters for Amiga, that should probably address your issues: viewtopic.php?p=190194#p190194
meveric

Unread postby Phoenixkonsole » Fri May 19, 2017 2:20 am

Something to think about:
Some people just use it with a joypad ; )

I have nowadays a problem with using apt-get.
I get this message:

E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/https could not be found

Any idea?
Phoenixkonsole

ODROIDs: U3

Unread postby meveric » Fri May 19, 2017 2:29 am

Phoenixkonsole wrote:Something to think about:
Some people just use it with a joypad ; )

That's why I load a setting up front that allows you to control the select boxes with joystick. It even implements Mouse movement over the left analog stick. At least if you're using an XBox360 controller.

Phoenixkonsole wrote:I have nowadays a problem with using apt-get.
I get this message:

E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/https could not be found

Any idea?

viewtopic.php?p=190559#p190559
A change @mdrjr did recently, sadly he didn't told me, so I had no time to prepare for this, and therefore a lot of people have to fix this manually.
meveric

Unread postby vigilante_zen » Sat May 20, 2017 9:53 am

Would like to start off by saying good job on the build. Runs pretty flawlessly! I am running into an issue when I try to do the first step of an upgrade any help would be appreciated. After trying the apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade I get the following:
E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/https could not be found.
N: Is the package apt-transport-https installed?

Once again thanks everyone for the hard work that went into this
vigilante_zen

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby meveric » Sat May 20, 2017 10:08 am

vigilante_zen wrote:Would like to start off by saying good job on the build. Runs pretty flawlessly! I am running into an issue when I try to do the first step of an upgrade any help would be appreciated. After trying the apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade I get the following:
E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/https could not be found.
N: Is the package apt-transport-https installed?

Once again thanks everyone for the hard work that went into this

look at the post just above yours that's the answer to your issue.
meveric

Unread postby vigilante_zen » Sat May 20, 2017 10:38 am

:face palm:

Sorry about that apparently missed that .....

Thanks again
vigilante_zen

Unread postby elementalwindx » Tue May 23, 2017 4:21 am

Curious. Going to move this to the newest kernel now that it's publicly available? :)
elementalwindx

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 23, 2017 8:09 am

elementalwindx wrote:Curious. Going to move this to the newest kernel now that it's publicly available? :)

Kernel is available for manual download and installation for some time by now and can be found here: https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/kernel/XU3/4.9.x/
I won't update the default Kernel yet, since 4.9 Kernel still has quite some issues. For example you gonna lose the ability to watch 1080p content in Kodi with Kernel 4.9.
Also I haven't entirely tested the tearing issue with the 4.9 Kernel yet. In the past the tearing in Kernel 4.9 was REALLY bad, lately it got a lot better, but especially in Kodi and watching movies you still have tearing.
Therefore I currently stay with the 3.10 Kernel since it's running stable compared to 4.9 Kernel.
meveric

Unread postby elementalwindx » Wed May 24, 2017 5:20 am

meveric wrote:
elementalwindx wrote:Curious. Going to move this to the newest kernel now that it's publicly available? :)

Kernel is available for manual download and installation for some time by now and can be found here: https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/kernel/XU3/4.9.x/
I won't update the default Kernel yet, since 4.9 Kernel still has quite some issues. For example you gonna lose the ability to watch 1080p content in Kodi with Kernel 4.9.
Also I haven't entirely tested the tearing issue with the 4.9 Kernel yet. In the past the tearing in Kernel 4.9 was REALLY bad, lately it got a lot better, but especially in Kodi and watching movies you still have tearing.
Therefore I currently stay with the 3.10 Kernel since it's running stable compared to 4.9 Kernel.

aw thats sad to hear. Ok. Thanks :)
elementalwindx

Unread postby will_santana » Wed May 24, 2017 11:51 pm

meveric wrote:
leo5111 wrote:how is Xbmc? does it run good like being able to do 10 bit x265 1080p OR is it for gimped Xbmc like they say on the kodi forums?

XBMC can't do X265 at all, you need to install Kodi for that. Still on the XU3/XU4 HEVC is software decoded in Kodi not hardware decoded since the XU3/XU4 can't do hardware decoding of HEVC.
From my personal tests 1080p HEVC is working mostly fine on the XU3/XU4 but it's stressing the CPU cores a of the XU3/XU4 a lot.

Any changes here?
I know that the XU4 don't have HW acceleration for HEVC, but it's becoming a lot common this days. About half my series are being encoded this way.
Looking in the "top' performance, it seems only one core gets really stressed and the others rarely passes 30% usage.
The audio is fine on every video I see, but the video is "slow motion" and eventually some artifacts.

Is there any workaround for it?

Att,
will_santana

languages_spoken: english, portuguese, spanish
ODROIDs: XU4, C2

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 24, 2017 11:56 pm

sadly no, there isn't the hardware can not do HEVC, it's rendered in software on the CPU, if the CPU can't handle it, then there's nothing you can do.
Sorry.
meveric

Unread postby will_santana » Thu May 25, 2017 12:39 am

meveric wrote:sadly no, there isn't the hardware can not do HEVC, it's rendered in software on the CPU, if the CPU can't handle it, then there's nothing you can do.
Sorry.

:(
will_santana

languages_spoken: english, portuguese, spanish
ODROIDs: XU4, C2

Unread postby ManyStrongWords » Sat May 27, 2017 9:27 am

apt-transport-https won't install on a fresh image from the apt-get update. It must be done manually for any most of the repositories to work. Not sure if anyone else has had this bug. https://packages.debian.org/jessie/armh ... s/download
ManyStrongWords

Unread postby meveric » Sat May 27, 2017 2:48 pm

that's already known and I will upload a fixed image soon.
Don't download apt-transport manually but rather use the following commands:
su -
cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
sed -i "s/^deb/#deb/" *.list
apt-get update
apt-get install apt-transport-https ca-certificates
sed -i "s/#deb/deb/" *.list
meveric

Unread postby ManyStrongWords » Sun May 28, 2017 5:39 am

Quick question, does the experimental kernel 4.9 have Krypton Kodi supported at the lower 720p?
ManyStrongWords

Unread postby meveric » Sun May 28, 2017 6:21 am

Since my Kernels are based on the Kernels from HardKernel they can do the same as they can.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 29, 2017 8:15 pm

Update:
  • I've updated the base image and included drivers so apt via HTTPS works out of the box.
  • fixed an issue with the ownership of /
  • updated pulseaudio to backports version of Debian Jessie (from 5.0 to 7.1) for better performance
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Tue May 30, 2017 12:39 pm

I've just uploaded a video that I made to compare the 2 Kernels (3.10.105 vs 4.9.28)
I tested 26 games from different consoles along with attract-mode. The gameplay has been captured in 1080P 60FPS

Here it is:
tipoto

Unread postby memeka » Tue May 30, 2017 1:58 pm

looks like 4.9 is a bit smoother
memeka

ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 30, 2017 2:12 pm

Thank you very much for sharing this video!

Overall the results are rather good I think. I've seen some slightly more tearing, especially in SNES Super Mario World, but nothing too serious.
I was surprised to see DreamCast to be lagging a little under Kernel 4.9 while the rest did not seem to have speed issues.
But I think I saw similar results when I tried to play Dreamcast.

I saw the color is different on the 4.9 Kernel, or was it the recording? Even the black borders on the side were more grayish in 4.9.

btw: are you using any shader in retroarch? I could see something like scanlines or so?
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Tue May 30, 2017 2:31 pm

memeka wrote:looks like 4.9 is a bit smoother

Here is my conclusion about these 2 Kernels (after playing a few hours with 4.9):
- 4.9 has sound issues, you can clearly hear them with Attract-Mode and Dreamcast, but also in other systems sometimes (more subtle though)
- I think 3.10 plays smoother actually. With all the 2D systems I don't see really a differences, but with Dreamcast and PSP it's noticeable. Dreamcast is not as stable with 4.9 than it is with 3.10
- The tearing is less ugly on 4.9, but it happens way more often, which makes me prefer 3.10.
- It seems that the brightness range of 4.9 is smaller than 3.10. You can see it with the black areas which are not completely black with 4.9. Maybe it's something we can modify with a setting in the boot.ini... I don't know

I think 4.9 is really promising and will be better eventually, but for the moment I still prefer 3.10.
tipoto

Unread postby tipoto » Tue May 30, 2017 2:38 pm

Sorry, we were posting at the same time. ;)
The recording settings were identical with both kernel, it's why I think the brightness range is not the same on 4.9
I use a filter with all the 2D games, so don't pay attention to the scanlines ;) Unfortunately the youtube compression makes them look ugly sometimes.
I agree with you, the performances are very similar, but Dreamcast is really an issue with 4.9 and I think PSP doesn't play as good as with 3.10 sometimes (but it's less visible)
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 30, 2017 2:58 pm

Yes, I've seen some other issues as well.
It seems Kernel 4.9 has some issues with 1080p@60 Hz at the moment. Different applications show strange behavior on 60 FPS. Moonlight for example.
That video decoding seems to be broken in Kodi for Kernel 4.9 is also a big issue in my opinion, lots of tearing and 1080p videos are laggy and use 100% CPU although they should run on VPU rather than CPU.
meveric

Unread postby skull » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:57 pm

Hello!

I have a strange problem. I use this image as media server 24h 365d. Since a few weeks, server crashes when I try to connect by ssh.

There is no problem connecting after restart it. I have to unplug power supply.

Does anybody have this problem? What can I do to fix it?

Many thanks!
skull

languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: U2, U3 & XU4

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:34 am

Hmm I certainly do not have this issue.. and I use my XU3/XU4 very often over SSH and even VNC it's running 24/7 and only is of when I crash it or reboot it due to drivers update like kernel or something.

But when you say you use it as a media center then I guess you have Kodi running all the time?
Kodi is not very stable in my opinion.. If I let Kodi run on idle for many hours it also becomes very unresponsive and I normally have to kill and restart it.
Maybe you should make sure you turn off Kodi when you not need it? a shortcut to start it?
I use "CTRL + ALT + K" which should work for you as well if you have a recent image it toggles between start and stop of Kodi.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby TheX51 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:26 pm

Hello there. I have read about the odroid and I was thinking to buy it. I am interesting on the Game cube emulator. Has anyone tried the dolphin emulator?? Can you tell me something about the performance on this emulator? Thanks a lot.
TheX51

Unread postby odroid » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:42 pm

The Dolphin emulator runs very slowly on XU4.
It is very far from something playable.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby skull » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:07 pm

meveric wrote:Hmm I certainly do not have this issue.. and I use my XU3/XU4 very often over SSH and even VNC it's running 24/7 and only is of when I crash it or reboot it due to drivers update like kernel or something.

But when you say you use it as a media center then I guess you have Kodi running all the time?
Kodi is not very stable in my opinion.. If I let Kodi run on idle for many hours it also becomes very unresponsive and I normally have to kill and restart it.
Maybe you should make sure you turn off Kodi when you not need it? a shortcut to start it?
I use "CTRL + ALT + K" which should work for you as well if you have a recent image it toggles between start and stop of Kodi.

thanks for your reply

Yes, I have kodi run on idle many DAYS :shock: :shock: :shock: It was working ok, but now I only have problems if I try to connect by ssh. If I do not try, I can use kodi without any problem for a week or more.

It would be possible to detect, I don't know how, when TV turns on, so I will be able to start automatically kodi?

many thanks! your work is awesome!!
skull

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:25 pm

I think it could be possible to detect this. The system does this as well.. If you setup a sleep timer where the desktop goes blank and gets locked and turn off the TV, the moment you turn the TV back on the system asks for your password.
So it detects when you turn the TV back on.
I think you can even see some entries in the syslog at that time that show that the TV is back on.
Maybe a background script can check the dmesg or /var/log/syslog for these entries and start/stop Kodi accordingly.

If you completely turn off the TV (not just stand-by) the system should register that the HDMI cable got unplugged. And xrandr should say "HDMI disconnected".
But that won't work if it's just on stand-by.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby skull » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:14 am

meveric wrote:I think it could be possible to detect this. The system does this as well.. If you setup a sleep timer where the desktop goes blank and gets locked and turn off the TV, the moment you turn the TV back on the system asks for your password.
So it detects when you turn the TV back on.
I think you can even see some entries in the syslog at that time that show that the TV is back on.
Maybe a background script can check the dmesg or /var/log/syslog for these entries and start/stop Kodi accordingly.

If you completely turn off the TV (not just stand-by) the system should register that the HDMI cable got unplugged. And xrandr should say "HDMI disconnected".
But that won't work if it's just on stand-by.

Hi @meveric!! thanks for your help!

I turn TV completely off, that's not a problem! I will investigate system logs and I will try to make a script.

thanks again!
skull

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:05 am

In that case you can probably use "xrandr" as a test quite easily it will either say "HDMI connected" or "HDMI disconnected"
$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 4096 x 4096
HDMI-1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 160mm x 90mm
   1920x1080     60.00*+  50.00    30.00    25.00    24.00    29.97    23.98 
   1920x1080i    60.00    50.00    59.94 
   1600x1200     60.00 
   1680x1050     59.88 
   1280x1024     60.02 
   1440x900      59.90 
   1280x960      60.00 
   1280x800      59.91 
   1152x864      75.00 
   1280x720      60.00    50.00    59.94 
   1024x768      60.00 
   800x600       60.32 
   720x576       50.00 
   720x480       60.00    59.94 
   640x480       60.00 

$ xrandr | grep HDMI-1 | awk '{print $2}'
connected
meveric

Unread postby skull » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:32 am

wouh!! many thanks!

It sounds easy! And you have got an script to start/stop kodi with a shortcut (CTRL + ALT + K), where is it? I can use same commands

You are the boss!!!
skull

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:43 am

skull wrote:wouh!! many thanks!

It sounds easy! And you have got an script to start/stop kodi with a shortcut (CTRL + ALT + K), where is it? I can use same commands

You are the boss!!!

/usr/local/bin/toggle_kodi should be easy to understand :)
meveric

Unread postby skull » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:18 pm

meveric wrote:/usr/local/bin/toggle_kodi should be easy to understand :)

hi meveric!

I don't have that script :( I been using your image for a long time, updating it frequently.
This is normal?
Is there anyway to update your image without flashing last version? I have a lot of configs that I don't want to repeat again.

Thanks!
skull

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:04 pm

Most of the changes are made automatically, but not all is easy that's why some things I can't push through an update, or it's just very hard to do.
One of these is setting keyboard shortcuts like CTRL + ALT + K, it's possible, but it would be hard to do, since I would have to check if something already exists, must set this up in other users personal settings (updates run as root, keyboard shortcut is for user odroid), and all these kind of things.
That's why I currently skip on this. It can be created easily yourself if you want it.

The script is very easy:
cat /usr/local/bin/toggle_kodi
#!/bin/bash
if [ `ps aux | grep kodi.bin | grep -v grep | wc -l` -ge 1 ]; then
   killall -9 kodi.bin
else
   kodi
fi

It just checks if the program is running (you can also use something like pidof kodi.bin or something similar) and if answer is yes, will kill it.. I do a sigkill (-9) cause it can be that Kodi is "hanging" and a sigterm never finishes.
And if it's not running, we just start the normal "kodi" starter.

You could create the same script and probably extend it like this:
cat /usr/local/bin/tvoff_kodi
#!/bin/bash
if [ `ps aux | grep kodi.bin | grep -v grep | wc -l` -ge 1 ] && [ "x`xrandr | grep HDMI-1 | awk '{print $2}'`" == "xdisconnected" ]; then
   killall -9 kodi.bin
elif [ "x`xrandr | grep HDMI-1 | awk '{print $2}'`" == "xconnected" ]; then
   kodi
fi

You could let this script run as a cron job every 5 minutes or even every minute if you like.
If Kodi is running, but the TV is "off" it would stop kodi, but if the TV is ON and Kodi is NOT running it would start Kodi.
The later is something you have to consider if you want it at all, cause it would always turn on Kodi if it's not running, even if you turned it of willingly.
The first line would be enough for just turning it off when you turn of the TV.
meveric

PreviousNext

Return to OGST-XU4