OGST - Rebuilding/Upgrading RetroPie

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian
hansolo77
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4

OGST - Rebuilding/Upgrading RetroPie

Unread post by hansolo77 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:29 am

I thought I'd create a new thread here to get support during my process. That way I'm not flooding the main announcement thread with constant trial & error responses. First off, a history:

I built a a RetroPie system off a Raspberry Pi 3. It is currently up to date with the latest versions of EmulationStation and RetroArch and it's cores. It is housed inside an old NES case. The Power/Reset/LEDs are all working. I've got the NES plugs going to an NES->USB adapter internally. I've also installed 2 DB9 connectors for SEGA/ATARI controllers. Everything works great. The system is running on a 16gb microSD card, whereas the ROMs/Artwork/Previews are housed on an attached 1tb hard drive. I've got a customized theme running on ES, and multiple custom collections for things like Achievements (games that work with retroachievements.org), GameEx (a collection of games we currently support in our high score forums at GameEx.com), MY GAMES (which are games I specifically own), Favorites, Last Played, etc. I've got a ton of systems, many which are duplicated for "hacks". I love it. There's just 1 problem. N64 gaming is sluggish and sucks. Dreamcast doesn't exist. PSP doesn't exist. I'm limited because of the hardware capabilities of the Pi. Sure, there might be a new Pi 4 or something eventually, but are they going to be competing with the ODROID? I think not! So here I am!

I've started collecting the hardware bits I'm going to need and have finally started tackling the upgrade. My intentions are to have much the same stuff as before (working buttons, same game systems, same front end) because I'm familiar with them. Only it's going to be better! I want access to the things the Pi can't do, or do well. The added benefit of dropping out of gaming to have access to a full desktop is just amazing! I can't wait to get going!

So I've taken the dive and installed OGST to a 16gb eMMC card. Upon boot up, it brings up Kodi and the Rom Browser addon. That's nice and all, but not what I'm familiar with. And to be honest, I have a dedicated Kodi box already with the latest version of it so I don't need this one. Still, nice to see it included. So I used the tool included to disable the Rom Collection and set it to load EmulationStation on boot instead.

Until I'm ready to start moving software (ROMs) and such over, I'd like to nail down all my hardware issues first. The hard drive is a no brainer. I've been able to mount the drive in fstab so that the "odroid" user has complete access to it, and it mounts in the /home/odroid/ROMS path as specified in the announcement OP. So the next hurdle to tackle is the WIFI dongle and my Controllers.

I decided I'm going to ditch all the extra ports I installed on my previous build. It was nice having access to games with the original controller hardware. But it was also a year long ordeal to get the programming to work right. The NES->USB adapter I had suffered from a kernel bug causing northwest drift, so whenever I exited out of a game, the menu would spaz out randomly move without my telling it to. The Sega adapter didn't have that problem. But still, using these adapters required adding lines of script to the launching mechanism that essentially tests each game to see if it is one that would require extra mapping with these new controllers. Then I had to figure out how to make it work on the fly so I didn't have to keep them plugged in all the time. UGH! What a nightmare! I got it all working in the end, but since my set up was a special use case, support was very limited and I had to figure it all out on my own as I went. Nope, this time I'm going to keep it all simple. I plan on keeping everything USB, and allow the system to correctly map based on what controller is connected. So for right now, I'm sticking with the primary controller I've always been using. A legit original Xbox360 Wireless Controller and USB Dongle. On my first run through, having it connected caused a huge issue with OGST. It literally freaked out because Kodi didn't know what to do with it (strange). After reinstalling the card WITHOUT the controller connected, I've hit another snag. Upon connecting it to the XU4, it never syncs. The ring of light just keeps blinking at me. However, EmulationStation and the desktop do identify it when a attempt to map the controls. So something somewhere isn't working right.

As for the WIFI issue. I bought a WIFI dongle from Hardkernel after I read that the XU4 doesn't come with one already installed (one thing the Pi has right I guess). The one I purchased was "Wifi Module 5a". The dongle works fine, as the initial image that game with the eMMC card came with a version of Ubuntu that worked with it. Now my problem is that OGST is built on an older version of the Linux Kernel (not necessarily a problem) and there doesn't seem to be any compatible drivers installed. So this is my next hurdle.

Anyway, I know this is long winded. I get that way when I'm tired. I've been fighting back pain from a hernia surgery I had last week. This is my 2019 project so I plan on stick around a while. If anybody has any tips to help me out, I'd appreciate it!

Long story short -> I need help figuring out my Xbox controller and my Wifi Dongle. :)

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: OGST - Rebuilding/Upgrading RetroPie

Unread post by odroid » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:19 am

We will add a RTL8811AU device driver to the old Kernel 3.10 and share the working driver code with meveric to merge it into his own kernel tree.
But it may take several days since we've started a long holidays of Lunar New Year.

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:25 am

I saw that. Happy Lunar New Year! I'm really in no big huge hurry. It may sound like I am, but I'm not really. I've got my RetroPie system already working. This is a labor of love, as I'm sure it is with everybody. Anything I can do to help out in improving this already great system! I'm not against trying new things. Here's hoping! :)

memeka
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread post by memeka » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:19 am

@hansolo77 why don;t you install RetroPie on the minimal image that should have the driver?
Like in https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Odroid-XU3-XU4/ ?

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:58 am

I tried that but hit a snag. People were reporting that EmulationStation was having issues with sound with XU4. My experience was the opposite. I had no issues with sound, but none of my videos were playing. Every time I tried to browse my games, and a new video would want to play, I'd get a text overlay on the screen that said something about it being an unsupported format. I don't know if it's a codec issue for the videos, the lack of a video player, or what. But I had no problem HEARING the video previews. The annoying thing was that it was overlaying this error on my screen and not hidden behind it. I was also able to play the ROMS when I tested. It would be great if I could use that. But I really want to have the video previews working. Not knowing much about the software/codecs, I left it hoping maybe somebody's prebuilt image like OGST would be a better starting off point. The staff at RetroPie have made it pretty clear they don't want to offer any troubleshooting support if the software is being installed on a device other than Pi's. They will help, and support the the device, but don't have the time or desire to assist when something like this if it isn't working right. I'm just hoping this will be a better experience here. I know probably more than the average newbie, but I'm still completely new to Linux and stuff. I go no problem figuring things out and trying stuff. I just need a hand holding and a clear path to go.

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:57 pm

Ok I'm starting small. Hardware issues I'm sure to get around to fixing eventually. So I dumped over my small (2mb) Atari 2600 rom collection where it should go. Loaded up ES and it found them. WOOT! Games even load/play! WOOT WOOT! But it's missing all my precious metadata like Synopses, Number of Players, etc. That's all stored in the gamelist.xml. I found where they're supposed to go by telling ES to save on exit. I then ported over the paths from my existing gamelist using Notepad++ to match where they go to now. I then put the updated gamelist in it's proper location, and dropped in my theme I'm using. Voila! Gamelist now loads with all the details. I even have the artwork (box art for the most part). The one thing I don't have though is the video previews. My gamelist.xml has the paths to them, as they are with the images that work. So I thought maybe there really IS a codec issue with these videos. But I remembered, OGST has a desktop environment! I loaded up the path to the videos and sure enough, they play fine! So I think my issue now is that EmulationStation might need updated to a point that supports video previews. I'm not sure how to go about doing that, since the paths and what not are all different from what I'm used to. Then again too, I'm not even sure an update will fix it. There are capabilities within EmulationStation to have a video screensaver, which plays random videos from your gamelists. So maybe I don't need to update it at all because this version of ES already has that functionality. Any thoughts?

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Hold the phone! Is this "build" designed specifically to be used with that mini N64 kit with the LCD? I thought that looked cool and all but that's not what I'm building. Could the problems I'm having with my video previews not working be because they're outputting on that screen I don't have? How do I fix that?! :)

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread post by meveric » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:06 pm

hansolo77 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:56 pm
Hold the phone! Is this "build" designed specifically to be used with that mini N64 kit with the LCD? I thought that looked cool and all but that's not what I'm building. Could the problems I'm having with my video previews not working be because they're outputting on that screen I don't have? How do I fix that?! :)
No, video previews are not displayed on the LCD of the OGST case.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:55 am

That's a relief! I was just browsing around the forum and google trying to figure out what's wrong and saw people were doing stuff like that with the LCD on the case. I'm glad it's not set up that way by design.

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:41 am

RTL8811AU(WiFi module 5A) driver has been added to the old Kernel 3.10.
https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/com ... bc99e8564b

I've tested with Ubuntu 16.04 with Kernel 3.10.106-154. WiFi Module 5A works fine now. :)

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:52 am

odroid wrote:RTL8811AU(WiFi module 5A) driver has been added to the old Kernel 3.10.

I've tested with Ubuntu 16.04 with Kernel 3.10.106-154. WiFi Module 5A works fine now. :)
Nice, looks like someone was working over the holiday.

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:02 pm

odroid wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:41 am
RTL8811AU(WiFi module 5A) driver has been added to the old Kernel 3.10.

Wow that's great! I know there will be a lot more new users like me who will be glad to see this. How difficult is it to build the driver? I moved from OGST over to ORA because it looked like the the underlying OS of OGST was going to be too much a of a hurdle for my unaccomplished skill to figure out. ORA is turning out to be a "slightly" easier venture because it more closely resembles what I'm used to from RetroPie.

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:06 am

If the ORA is based on our Ubuntu 16.04 image, you just need the following commands from SSH console.

Code: Select all

apt update
apt upgrade
apt dist-upgrade
apt install linux-image-xu3
sync
reboot

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:33 am

I will make a backup of my eMMC first then try it. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? If it doesn't work, I have my working backup.

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:38 am

I agree. Backup is the most important.

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:40 am

Well, it looks like the drivers might have worked, but running the 'apt upgrade' rewrote the boot.ini which broke things. The LED blinks and stuff, which is more than it did before. Hopefully the ORA guys can fix it. Thanks odroid!

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:10 pm

There should be a boot.ini backup file in the FAT boot partition. Just replace it and ORA should work.

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:16 pm

I actually took the boot.ini off my backup and tried to replace it. EmulationStation wouldn't load and my keyboard stopped working after that. I found a workaround though. Not sure how good it is. I ended up just running the last couple of commands "apt install linux-image-xu3" and "sync". Not sure what sync does, but after doing the other one and rebooting, the device is working. I'm not sure how stable everything else is though. My ES started freaking out when I was browsing some games. I'm restoring the backup prior to getting the dongle drivers to see if its related, or maybe just some bad video screen shots.

Return to “OGST-XU4”