Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian
kasek
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: xu4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best of Microsoft Entertainment games

Unread post by kasek » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:58 pm

Hey I have ordered the xu4 today and am getting my roms and what not all ready for when it arrives. I was wondering if there was a way to put some of the games from the Best of Microsoft Entertainment pack on here.
Looking specifically for :
chips challenge
jezzball
pipe dream
rodents revenge
ski free

thank you

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Re: Best of Microsoft Entertainment games

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:05 pm

Ah, the memories... :)
Most likely @meveric will have better advice, but you can (in principle) install qemu and install wine inside it and run them - but it might be difficult.
The easiest way is to start with dosbox and install win 3.1 inside and then bowep on top of windows. They did run under win 3.1, right?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:17 pm

That's not an easy task.
First of all we're using Linux not Windows, so these games won't run on their own.
Also all these games are for x86 PCs not for ARM machines, so the CPU architecture doesn't run these games at all and the CPU architecture requires "Emulation" as well.

There are a couple of different ways to do so:
1. chips challenge is a Win 3.11 game and for that could be launched via DOSBox.
Install DOSBox, install Win 3.11 inside dosbox, copy the game onto it and run it.
Should be decently fast enough
2. jezzball, has a remake called kbounce for Linux, and you should be able to play it by simply installing it, else it probably runs the same as chips challenge
3. pipe dream/pipe Mania came out for many different systems: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Mania including DOS and Win 3.11 so DOSBox would work fine as well, but there are also plenty of other systems like Amiga, or Super Famicom where the game came out as well, which are probably easier to use.
4. Rodent's Revenge should run with DOSBox and Win 3.11 as well
5. SkiFree is the same as the others, DOSBox + Win 3.11 should work, but there's also a port for Game Boy Color you might want to check out first.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

kasek

Unread post by kasek » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:24 pm

meveric wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:17 pm
That's not an easy task.
First of all we're using Linux not Windows, so these games won't run on their own.
Also all these games are for x86 PCs not for ARM machines, so the CPU architecture doesn't run these games at all and the CPU architecture requires "Emulation" as well.

There are a couple of different ways to do so:
1. chips challenge is a Win 3.11 game and for that could be launched via DOSBox.
Install DOSBox, install Win 3.11 inside dosbox, copy the game onto it and run it.
Should be decently fast enough
2. jezzball, has a remake called kbounce for Linux, and you should be able to play it by simply installing it, else it probably runs the same as chips challenge
3. pipe dream/pipe Mania came out for many different systems: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Mania including DOS and Win 3.11 so DOSBox would work fine as well, but there are also plenty of other systems like Amiga, or Super Famicom where the game came out as well, which are probably easier to use.
4. Rodent's Revenge should run with DOSBox and Win 3.11 as well
5. SkiFree is the same as the others, DOSBox + Win 3.11 should work, but there's also a port for Game Boy Color you might want to check out first.
thanks for the advice i appreciate it, now since i dont have this in front of me its hard to picture and see right now, but will dos box be downloaded like my other emulators and ran inside of ogst?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:51 pm

I don't know how RetroPie or other images handle DOSBox, but on my OGST Image, it doesn't come pre-installed.

You can install it either as a libretro-core and configure it that way, or you can install the standalone emulator dosbox (or dosbox-odroid on my images) which can then be configured.
DOSBox is a PC/DOS Emulator, not a "Console" so it involves some manual steps, as you have to install Windows 3.11 as well, as installing you games and such.

That's why I said you might want to look into the alternatives, such as the same game for other systems (Amiga, Game Boy Color, etc.) as these would be much easier to run for you.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

kasek

Unread post by kasek » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:53 pm

meveric wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:51 pm
I don't know how RetroPie or other images handle DOSBox, but on my OGST Image, it doesn't come pre-installed.

You can install it either as a libretro-core and configure it that way, or you can install the standalone emulator dosbox (or dosbox-odroid on my images) which can then be configured.
DOSBox is a PC/DOS Emulator, not a "Console" so it involves some manual steps, as you have to install Windows 3.11 as well, as installing you games and such.

That's why I said you might want to look into the alternatives, such as the same game for other systems (Amiga, Game Boy Color, etc.) as these would be much easier to run for you.
alright thanks ill look more into this on youtube and that and see about playing them on the other consoles as well

Return to “OGST-XU4”