[SOLVED] - Attract-Mode - issues with the surface objects

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

[SOLVED] - Attract-Mode - issues with the surface objects

Unread postby tipoto » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi meveric,

We already started a conversation about this issue in the main OGST topic, but I thought it would be easier to track it if I would create a specific topic in here.

There is an issue in Attract-Mode on OGST with the "surface" objects which are used in the layouts. We can't use them since they don't display properly the images or videos mapped onto them.
I noticed that we are not using the latest version of Attract-Mode (2.4.1), so if you plan to update it, would it be possible to have a look on this issue to see if a fix can be found. All the previous versions of AM on OGST had the issue and the current one has it too.

Because of this problem, almost all the available layouts that you can download, are unusable unfortunately. Some of them can be used with some work, by replacing surfaces by basic planes and with some modifications here and there, but most of the time it's just not possible at all.
In my case, I managed to survive with this problem, by creating a lot of work-arounds and by creating my own layouts, but there is still one case where there is nothing I can do, it's for the game search plugin, which uses surfaces! This one is of course super important, especially when you have thousand of games ;)

I can provide a layout with the issue if you need.

Thank you!
Last edited by tipoto on Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tipoto

languages_spoken: French, English & Spanish
ODROIDs: ODROID-XU4

Re: Attract-Mode - issues with the surface objects

Unread postby meveric » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:29 pm

I'll look into it after my vacation.
I also have a different version running on OpenGL rather than OpenGL ES that might actually run a lot better, but let's discuss this in a week or so when I'm back
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby mad_ady » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:43 pm

Offtopic: where are you vacationing? :)
mad_ady

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby meveric » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:45 pm

Scotland.. Greetings from Inverness
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby mad_ady » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:47 am

Nice! Enjoy the unfiltered rain [emoji14]
mad_ady

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby tipoto » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:50 am

meveric wrote:I'll look into it after my vacation.
I also have a different version running on OpenGL rather than OpenGL ES that might actually run a lot better, but let's discuss this in a week or so when I'm back

Sounds great! Thank you!
tipoto

Unread postby tipoto » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:05 pm

Hi meveric,

I updated Attract-Mode with the new package that you just built today (attract 2.4.1), but unfortunately the surfaces still don't work!
Here are some pics of my monitor, to show you how it looks like when I use a layout with surfaces:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12TDew ... 9bl1iUDElz
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:20 pm

yeah I didn't expect that to change anything..
I'll build a new version of the OpenGL version and put that somewhere for you to download and test.
It should have more options as it uses OpenGL 2.0 rather than OpenGL ES 1.1 which allows for shaders and other things not available in OpenGL ES 1.1.
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:28 pm

Oh cool! Thanks!
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:49 pm

just a quick status update.
I have a working version of Attract with OpenGL for version 2.3.0 in version 2.4.0 and 2.4.1 the system runs in a segfault when I try to start it.
I'm currently try to find which commit causes this to be able to create a newer version.. but this requires tons and tons of rebuilds and will take quite some time.

Edit:
I could identify the offending commit: https://github.com/mickelson/attract/co ... 241a249330
But I'm not sure if I'm able to fix this. I doubt simply reverting this commit will do much good.
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:48 am

Thanks for the update.
Honestly, I think I'd be already happy with your working version 2.3.0. It's the version I was using for month before your very recent update, and I was fine with it. Of course, if we can get version 2.4.1 to work, it's better ;), but I would be glad to already test the version 2.3.0 that you have!
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:00 am

I've been debugging this for the last couple hours and @ptitSeb could solve the issue. The patch creates Shaders before even a context was created. I have now a working 2.3.0 version with the broken commit and will try to take these changes over to the latest version.

Many thanks to @ptitSeb for helping solving this problem.
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:14 am

Awesome! Thank you for your help and your time! And thank you @ptitSeb ;)
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:50 am

meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:29 am

Thank you so much!!!
I'll test it tonight and give you a feedback. I can't wait! :D
tipoto

Unread postby tipoto » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:19 pm

It seems to work perfectly !!! I tested a few layouts which had surfaces, and everything looked great, I didn't see any glitches :)
The overall performances seems to be the same as before (from what I can see for the moment).

I'm going to do a few more tests before marking the topic as solved, but I think we finally have a fully functional version of Attract-Mode ^^! when I think to all the issues I had and all the work-arounds I had to create to get what I wanted... Everything will be way easier now!
Thanks again!
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:23 pm

You're welcome.. Glad it's working
Maybe I can revise my changes to my layouts as well.
meveric

Return to OGST-XU4