Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian
EuPhobos
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: u3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Post by EuPhobos »

Hi, i'm trying run ODROID-GameStation-Turbo-3.9.6-20180619-XU3+XU4-Jessie.img.xz image, on XU4 but have error:

Code: Select all

U-Boot 2017.05-00008-g6a9ddb8303-dirty (May 19 2020 - 19:48:01 +0900) for ODROID-XU4

CPU:   Exynos5422 @ 800 MHz
Model: Odroid XU4 based on EXYNOS5422
Board: Odroid XU4 based on EXYNOS5422
Type:  xu4
DRAM:  2 GiB
MMC:   EXYNOS DWMMC: 0, EXYNOS DWMMC: 1
MMC Device 0 (eMMC): 116.5 GiB
Info eMMC rst_n_func status = enabled
Card did not respond to voltage select!
mmc_init: -95, time 11
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   No ethernet found.
Press quickly 'Enter' twice to stop autoboot:  0
reading /boot.ini
9409 bytes read in 2 ms (4.5 MiB/s)
## Executing script at 43e00000
syntax error
I'm twice download image unpack it, doublecheck md5sum, twice write to eMMc through "dd" and still same error.
can some body help me with this u-boot error?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

Are you using eMMC or SD card?
I think I've seen the same syntax error only when I upgraded to the latest u-boot from HardKernel where they implemented some changes for Kernel 5.4+ for device-tree-overlay support.
I haven't had time to check what syntax it complains about, I know the boot.ini from HardKernel works, but that might break parts of this image, as it's not using that particular u-boot or device-tree-overlay.
It also comes with a different version of u-boot.

My guess is that you maybe use a eMMC which had a different system on it previously?
So that might have messed with the u-boot.
Can you try flashing this image on an SD Card in case you have one available?
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

EuPhobos

Post by EuPhobos »

Yes, i buy two eMMc 128Gb preinstalled Linux from hardkernel, on board are Ubuntu 20.08 i guess. The one of eMMc i purge and write image with "dd"

From SD it start to boot, but then i see Mate and Kodi(after several reboots), and problem with little space on rootfs. I try run "Setup" from Desktop, but this script-menu seems to dont worked. I try "move rootfs to hdd" - it fail because "has not candidate to LVM2", and try "Setup OGST" it fail too.
So i will try manualy apt-get update but in the middle of the work of apt-get, an error came out that the space on rootfs ran out.
At the moment, I don't quite understand how this distribution works. Is this how it should work with limited space? Or did it have to expand to the full size of the microSD (which is 16Gb)? Or do I have the ability to somehow transfer the entire system to eMMC (which is 128Gb), and will I run into the u-boot problem again when trying to start from eMMC?

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

The image resizes itself on the first boot by default.
This may not work if you have both eMMC and SD card connected at the same time as it may instead try to resize the eMMC.
If you try the image make sure you only have one device connected either eMMC or SD card not both.
Without the resize there will not be enough space on the device to work correctly.

The image will work on SD and eMMC, but I think due to the fact that your eMMC had the images from HardKernel on it they use a different u-boot which doesn't currently work with this image.
And exchanging the u-boot may not be as easy.

I'll try to find out what syntax changed with the newer u-boot and if it's compatible with the older image, but that will take a while.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
dwbunger78 (Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:11 am)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

EuPhobos

Post by EuPhobos »

Yes, now it work. I do first boot without eMMc, then i just simple move /home to eMMc, and now system running on MicroSD but /home with ROMS on eMMc
That's more than enough for me at the moment.

dwbunger78
ODROIDs: XU4, MC1

Post by dwbunger78 »

So I just set up the 3.9.6 image and ran the apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade process and I'm still at kernel 3.10.106+ and Kodi v16.

Issue #1 -- My PS4 controller works while wired, but only kind of. Some of the buttons work, some do not. I have not tried BT pair/wireless yet, until I get wired working. I've tested it on my PC and the controller is working well, wired or wireless. Am I missing some critical setup step? I thought PS4 controller was supported out-of-box.

Issue #2 -- Also, I read that kernel upgrade to 4.14 and Kodi upgrade to 17.6 is OK -- assuming this must be a manual upgrade?
#2a-- Does it matter in which order I do these?
#2b-- Could the kernel upgrade solve the PS4 controller issue described in #1?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I missed the answser somewhere within these forum posts - 42 pages is quite a lot to search in chrono order, yes i did try the search bar but I must not be using the correct keywords.

meveric

Post by meveric »

Sorry for the late answer.
dwbunger78 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:27 pm
So I just set up the 3.9.6 image and ran the apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade process and I'm still at kernel 3.10.106+ and Kodi v16.
This is normal as it's the default configuration for this image :)
dwbunger78 wrote:
Issue #1 -- My PS4 controller works while wired, but only kind of. Some of the buttons work, some do not. I have not tried BT pair/wireless yet, until I get wired working. I've tested it on my PC and the controller is working well, wired or wireless. Am I missing some critical setup step? I thought PS4 controller was supported out-of-box.
Since the image itself as well as the Kernel is very old, PS4 did not exist back then and is not part of the supported hardware. PS3 controller work, or even better XBox 360 controller.
PS4 may not supported, at least not out of the box.
dwbunger78 wrote:
Issue #2 -- Also, I read that kernel upgrade to 4.14 and Kodi upgrade to 17.6 is OK -- assuming this must be a manual upgrade?
Yes both is a manual process.
Kodi can be installed by installing the package "kodi-next-odroid"

apt-get install -t jessie kodi-next-odroid
The Kernel can be installed by installing the corresponding meta packages:

linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4 linux-headers-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4
dwbunger78 wrote:
#2a-- Does it matter in which order I do these?
Probably not, but generally Kodi is "just" an application, while the Kernel is the way how the system is handling hardware, so generally updating the Kernel has a HUGE impact on the system while updating Kodi has very little impact.
dwbunger78 wrote:
#2b-- Could the kernel upgrade solve the PS4 controller issue described in #1?
Yes upgrading to a newer Kernel might solve the issue with the PS4 controller.
Please Note: The reason why this image has Kernel 3.10 as default is that Kernel 4.14 has an overall performance impact on emulation of about 15%.
Meaning emulators will be slower with Kernel 4.14 than they are with Kernel 3.10.
For most emulators (most 8 and 16 bit consoles) this has no impact, but the emulators that are already struggling (N64, Dreamcast, 3DO, Saturn) this may lead to some games being no longer full speed or at a "playable" speed.
dwbunger78 wrote:
Thanks in advance and sorry if I missed the answser somewhere within these forum posts - 42 pages is quite a lot to search in chrono order, yes i did try the search bar but I must not be using the correct keywords.
Sorry again for the late response, you should not have to read through all the pages :)
auriuman78 (Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:28 am)

ManyStrongWords
ODROIDs: XU4

Post by ManyStrongWords »

I'm having problems with udev and retroarch seeing my trackball. Has anyone else encountered a similar issue?
I tried following this guide (https://www.retroarch.net/2020/01/retro ... ivers.html) and completed step one of 'Setting up udev permissions' with no success. So then I tried to do step two but '99-evdev.rules' does not exist so I'm stumped.

meveric

Post by meveric »

You don't need to setup any udev permissions.
On this image the permissions are correct. udev works fine.
Normally you only need to add a config for your trackball and you're good to go.

ManyStrongWords

Post by ManyStrongWords »

hmm, that is odd. when I run "retroarch --verbose" it doesnt display the trackball as a device. The joysticks do show though

meveric

Post by meveric »

ManyStrongWords wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:25 pm
hmm, that is odd. when I run "retroarch --verbose" it doesnt display the trackball as a device. The joysticks do show though
which could mean the device is not found by the Kernel correctly.

You can always start retroarch-joyconfig to see what udev sees for devices.

warbot
ODROIDs: XU3

Post by warbot »

meveric wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:46 pm
backports is now at archive.debian.org... but if you install the update of setup-ogst-odroid package first it will fix the repositories needed for this.
Hi Mev,

Ign:35 http://archive.debian.org/debian stretch-proposed-updates/contrib all Packages
Ign:36 http://archive.debian.org/debian stretch-proposed-updates/contrib Translation-en
Ign:37 http://archive.debian.org/debian stretch-proposed-updates/contrib Translation-en_GB
Ign:38 http://archive.debian.org/debian stretch-proposed-updates/contrib armhf DEP-11 Metadata
Ign:39 http://archive.debian.org/debian stretch-proposed-updates/contrib all DEP-11 Metadata
Ign:40 http://archive.debian.org/debian stretch-proposed-updates/non-free armhf Packages
Ign:41 http://archive.debian.org/debian stretch-proposed-updates/non-free all Packages
Ign:42 http://archive.debian.org/debian stretch-proposed-updates/non-free Translation-en
Ign:43 http://archive.debian.org/debian stretch-proposed-updates/non-free Translation-en_GB
Ign:44 http://archive.debian.org/debian stretch-proposed-updates/non-free all DEP-11 Metadata
0% [Working]

Freeze...

Ideas...

meveric

Post by meveric »

yes, apparently you updated from Jessie to Stretch, which doesn't work just like that.
I think librtmp1 will still be from deb-multimedia, and with that breaks https support, not sure why, but that's probably the issue.
you have to replace the version from deb-multimedia with the one from Debian itself

emptyinside

Post by emptyinside »

After trying to get my Lightgun to work, everything was so messed up that I took a long break and just recently reinstalled the OGST image. But I can't update. I get the old Debian repo 404 error but can't get that updated cause it's giving me:

W: Failed to fetch https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/dists/all/xu3/binary-armhf/Packages  server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

W: Failed to fetch https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/dists/all/main/binary-armhf/Packages  server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

W: Failed to fetch https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/dists/all/testing/binary-armhf/Packages  server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

W: Failed to fetch https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/dists/jessie/backports/binary-armhf/Packages  server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

W: Failed to fetch https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/dists/jessie/main/binary-armhf/Packages  server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none
I've set my timezone and time and still get the same error.

odroid@gamestation-turbo:~$ date
Sun 24 Oct 12:25:09 EDT 2021
I'm stuck. :lol: Or should I use an updated image?

meveric

Post by meveric »

I've seen something similar with other images.
Debian 9 and above work fine if you skip the apt update path and do apt upgrade without the apt update first.
And whatever causes this is fixed. Sadly with Debian 8 (which this image is based on) the updates required don't seem to exist and I haven't figured out why.

Something changed the way CRL files are handled or what says they are valid and that no longer works.

There is probably an option for apt that disables certificate checks at all but I have to look that up as well.

Overall, this image is very outdated by now and therefore doesn't work that well anymore.
pipodroid (Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:47 pm)

emptyinside

Post by emptyinside »

Something you said lead me to a fix...so far. After some searching, I created a file in apt.conf.d that stated:

// Do not verify peer certificate
Acquire::https::Verify-Peer "false";
// Do not verify that certificate name matches server name
Acquire::https::Verify-Host "false";
Probably not the safest but I can delete after, I'd imagine. So far, so good. Updating now. Thanks for leading me there!
These users thanked the author emptyinside for the post (total 2):
meveric (Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:10 am) • pipodroid (Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:30 pm)

pipodroid
languages_spoken: english, spanish, french
ODROIDs: X, X2, C0, C1, C2, C4, U2, U3+, XU3, XU4, XU4Q, MC1, HC1, HC2, HC4, H2+, N2+, C4, GO, GO2, GO3

Post by pipodroid »

emptyinside wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:20 am
Something you said lead me to a fix...so far. After some searching, I created a file in apt.conf.d that stated:

// Do not verify peer certificate
Acquire::https::Verify-Host "false";
Probably not the safest but I can delete after, I'd imagine. So far, so good. Updating now. Thanks for leading me there!
Thanks. I got my OGST Kit recently and was trying to set up the board. I ran into a bunch of broken dependencies due to expired certificates, that prevented the installation of the mplayer2 version to display the logos and the ogst-logo-odroid. After skipping the certification validation and rerunning the apt update/upgrade, I am now able to test the TFT screen.

I am still getting a couple of sources that are no longer usable, although everything seems to still work ok. For future reference, these are.

W: Failed to fetch http://www.deb-multimedia.org/dists/jessie/main/binary-armhf/Packages  404  Not Found [IP: 91.121.146.196 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://www.deb-multimedia.org/dists/jessie/non-free/binary-armhf/Packages  404  Not Found [IP: 91.121.146.196 80]      
Meveric, hats off. OGST is still amazing after all this time. I am still awestruck from when I saw the WebGL samples running at 30fps. Maybe you should consider updating the OP with this info. Newcomers are going to run into this issue as again as we just did. It saddens me that the setup experience is starting to somehow degrade due to these external issues. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you alleviate them.

meveric

Post by meveric »

I'll see what I can do.
Technically it should update my setup-ogst-odroid package and take care of deb-multimedia, but I'm not sure it's been a while.
Deb-Multimedia for Jessie was removed so that's no longer available.

If I find a bit time I see if I can at least fix the main issues with the image itself and upload a new version, but I won't update the system itself as I don't have time for it.

Most parts are available on newer OS versions, like Debian Stretch or Buster, but the Kernel may not run there correctly.

pipodroid
languages_spoken: english, spanish, french
ODROIDs: X, X2, C0, C1, C2, C4, U2, U3+, XU3, XU4, XU4Q, MC1, HC1, HC2, HC4, H2+, N2+, C4, GO, GO2, GO3

Post by pipodroid »

No rush, but I think it would help to keep the good name of OGST intact for longer. If you need an extra pair of eyes or hands to test, let me know. I haven't looked into it in detail, but looks like fixing the certificate validity will already be a big improvement for new installations.
I have been using your distribution for some time now and these source repository issues were never a problem until now that I have purchased one of the OGST kits and wanted to activate the add-on board. I doubt that people using a regular XU4 would experience much trouble aside from the error messages while running the upgrade.

emptyinside

Post by emptyinside »

Man I went ahead and tried a couple other images over the last couple days and, for the Odroid XU4, this is my favorite. It'd be great to have fully up to date OS, emulators and such but it's better to me even with its age. I have my RPi4 for lightgun use and certain other emulators and I'll keep OGST on here till someone makes something better. One day I may even figure out Rom Collection Browser haha

RichPlace4

Post by RichPlace4 »

Is there a way round apt-get install -t jessie-backports python-cryptography python3-cryptography which which returns

Reading package lists... Done
E: The value 'jessie-backports' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources

Is there an alternative for this? As it prevents Rom Collection Browser from auto loading right now

Thanks

meveric

Post by meveric »

1. create a config to allow downloads without CA verification:

echo '// Do not verify peer certificate
Acquire::https::Verify-Host "false";' > /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99-no-ca-verify
2. install latest version of setup-ogst-odroid

apt-get update
apt-get install setup-ogst-odroid
3. after that jessie-backports should be fine:

apt-get install -t jessie-backports python-cryptography python3-cryptography

RichPlace4

Post by RichPlace4 »

meveric wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:54 pm
1. create a config to allow downloads without CA verification:

echo '// Do not verify peer certificate
Acquire::https::Verify-Host "false";' > /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99-no-ca-verify
2. install latest version of setup-ogst-odroid

apt-get update
apt-get install setup-ogst-odroid
3. after that jessie-backports should be fine:

apt-get install -t jessie-backports python-cryptography python3-cryptography
meveric that worked - Thank you, appreciate the help!

RichPlace4

Post by RichPlace4 »

OK next question, I had a play with emulation station but the version installed appears to be locked down in that I cannot change the theme or scrapers etc... Is this by design on the image and can I change it without messing up the image/emulators at all?

Cheers

meveric

Post by meveric »

RichPlace4 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:35 pm
OK next question, I had a play with emulation station but the version installed appears to be locked down in that I cannot change the theme or scrapers etc... Is this by design on the image and can I change it without messing up the image/emulators at all?

Cheers
Theme should work fine I also used Themes on ES but I think they are placed under /etc/emulationstation
No clue about the scraper though, never used that, always used external scraper instead

RichPlace4

Post by RichPlace4 »

meveric wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:17 am
RichPlace4 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:35 pm

Cheers
Theme should work fine I also used Themes on ES but I think they are placed under /etc/emulationstation
No clue about the scraper though, never used that, always used external scraper instead
Seems to work - Nice one!

Return to “OGST-XU4”