Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian
EuPhobos
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: u3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Post by EuPhobos »

Hi, i'm trying run ODROID-GameStation-Turbo-3.9.6-20180619-XU3+XU4-Jessie.img.xz image, on XU4 but have error:

Code: Select all

U-Boot 2017.05-00008-g6a9ddb8303-dirty (May 19 2020 - 19:48:01 +0900) for ODROID-XU4

CPU:   Exynos5422 @ 800 MHz
Model: Odroid XU4 based on EXYNOS5422
Board: Odroid XU4 based on EXYNOS5422
Type:  xu4
DRAM:  2 GiB
MMC:   EXYNOS DWMMC: 0, EXYNOS DWMMC: 1
MMC Device 0 (eMMC): 116.5 GiB
Info eMMC rst_n_func status = enabled
Card did not respond to voltage select!
mmc_init: -95, time 11
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   No ethernet found.
Press quickly 'Enter' twice to stop autoboot:  0
reading /boot.ini
9409 bytes read in 2 ms (4.5 MiB/s)
## Executing script at 43e00000
syntax error
I'm twice download image unpack it, doublecheck md5sum, twice write to eMMc through "dd" and still same error.
can some body help me with this u-boot error?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

Are you using eMMC or SD card?
I think I've seen the same syntax error only when I upgraded to the latest u-boot from HardKernel where they implemented some changes for Kernel 5.4+ for device-tree-overlay support.
I haven't had time to check what syntax it complains about, I know the boot.ini from HardKernel works, but that might break parts of this image, as it's not using that particular u-boot or device-tree-overlay.
It also comes with a different version of u-boot.

My guess is that you maybe use a eMMC which had a different system on it previously?
So that might have messed with the u-boot.
Can you try flashing this image on an SD Card in case you have one available?
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

EuPhobos

Post by EuPhobos »

Yes, i buy two eMMc 128Gb preinstalled Linux from hardkernel, on board are Ubuntu 20.08 i guess. The one of eMMc i purge and write image with "dd"

From SD it start to boot, but then i see Mate and Kodi(after several reboots), and problem with little space on rootfs. I try run "Setup" from Desktop, but this script-menu seems to dont worked. I try "move rootfs to hdd" - it fail because "has not candidate to LVM2", and try "Setup OGST" it fail too.
So i will try manualy apt-get update but in the middle of the work of apt-get, an error came out that the space on rootfs ran out.
At the moment, I don't quite understand how this distribution works. Is this how it should work with limited space? Or did it have to expand to the full size of the microSD (which is 16Gb)? Or do I have the ability to somehow transfer the entire system to eMMC (which is 128Gb), and will I run into the u-boot problem again when trying to start from eMMC?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

The image resizes itself on the first boot by default.
This may not work if you have both eMMC and SD card connected at the same time as it may instead try to resize the eMMC.
If you try the image make sure you only have one device connected either eMMC or SD card not both.
Without the resize there will not be enough space on the device to work correctly.

The image will work on SD and eMMC, but I think due to the fact that your eMMC had the images from HardKernel on it they use a different u-boot which doesn't currently work with this image.
And exchanging the u-boot may not be as easy.

I'll try to find out what syntax changed with the newer u-boot and if it's compatible with the older image, but that will take a while.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

EuPhobos

Post by EuPhobos »

Yes, now it work. I do first boot without eMMc, then i just simple move /home to eMMc, and now system running on MicroSD but /home with ROMS on eMMc
That's more than enough for me at the moment.

Return to “OGST-XU4”