ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian
BadPritt
languages_spoken: english dutch french spanish german
ODROIDs: Odroid C2
Odroid XU4Q

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Post by BadPritt » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:20 am

Very interesting setup, but not necessarily a "fair" comparison im matter of specs and hardware capabilities ;)
Indeed, hardware wise not really fair. But software wise the XU4 still is one of the better ones for gamers. The RK3399s are finally gaining in Linux with Panfrost.
Of course the N2 can do PPSSPP better in an emulation image. But it can't do the mass of games the XU4 has in Linux. So XU4>N2
Then the Jetson Nano can do GPU demanding games well, but CPU demanding stuff it's really bad at. PSX emulation it can't do well, while at PPSSPP it's the best.
Especially box86 has so many applications right now it's incredible what you can run on it.
https://magazine.odroid.com/article/lin ... r-odroids/
Check out this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgfQjd ... s7g/videos
I've already installed it. Haven't tried it yet, still installing other things(10GB of Odroid games). I'm curious about it. Hmm, I think I've seen that youtube channel before :)
I know Salvador from The Pi Lab good. We talk almost daily. I today said to him "too bad Meveric isn't working on the RK3399, we'd have a lot more working". We've worked together to get panfrost to work on Armbian.
He can't stop talking about box86. I'll write a script for him that installs the latest version, and updates it, when he made the tutorial of how to install it on RK3399.

I'm still rather new to Linux, so I never played Linux games in the past. I also have a gap of +10 years where I wasn't interested in PC's or gaming. Only when I bought my C2 I found my interest/passion(obsession??) back.(almost 4years)
So for me the really old games are the best. Anything newer than 2002 doesn't really interest me much. I must have UT working on it for sure. I love first person shooters(WoP, Nexuiz, Alien Arena,..)
It's outdated, and I wished I had the time to update to Debian Buster with brand new interface. I have so many parts already available, frontend, videos, scraper and so on, but not yet the time to put everything back together to create a new image.
Still many people use the XU4, and even many still buy it. If you'd update OGST to Buster I'd be the first to (start) making a video about it.(Not because I start the first that I finish the first, ETAPrime....)
It's still hard doing everything on my own ;)
That I can understand very well. It is a legacy you've created. I appreciate all the work you've done a lot. I know only you, and Salvador who do this much for Linux gaming on SBCs.
If the eMMC never run on an XU4 before you need to do an "eMMC Recovery": viewtopic.php?f=53&t=6173 or else the eMMC won't work on the XU4.
That I didn't know. I'll have to remember that, it often comes up in the Armbian forum.

Many thanks, I think I'll be busy for at least a week testing everything. I've already got the videos about gaming on the Jetson Nano, N2 and RK3399s. Also on the XU4, but a refresh can't hurt.
I'll also try your Buster image. Cheers.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4

Post by meveric » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:45 am

BadPritt wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:20 am
The RK3399s are finally gaining in Linux with Panfrost.
The RK3399 was well supported before Panfrost.
In fact the GPU drivers and overall support is impressive on the RK3399.
There are GPU drivers that have GBM,fbdev,X11 and stuff like OpenCL and so on in ONE binary.
That is quite unique. Although it's missing one extension for Dolphin emulator to work properly.
BadPritt wrote:
Of course the N2 can do PPSSPP better in an emulation image.
Not quite sure of that. arm64 was always a little slow up to now. I would put it mostly on par with XU4 not necessarily better, at least not by much.
BadPritt wrote:
Then the Jetson Nano can do GPU demanding games well, but CPU demanding stuff it's really bad at. PSX emulation it can't do well, while at PPSSPP it's the best.
PSX is not very CPU intensive, problem is that you need a decent dynamic recompiler, cause without the PSX doesn't work right.
But I was playing PSX games on an old 800MHz single core Windows Mobile phone with nearly full speed back in the days. So believe me when I say CPU is not the issue.
Jetson Nano is arm64, therefore it currently has no dynamic recompiler.
If you run the armhf binary on the Jetson Nano (if it has armhf GPU drivers) then it would be a hell lot faster, like 5 times as fast or more.
BadPritt wrote:
I today said to him "too bad Meveric isn't working on the RK3399, we'd have a lot more working".
Well that's the thing.. It's still arm64 and armhf compatible. All my work for the ODROID XU4 and/or ODROID C2 works on the RK3399 as well. There are tons of stuff available running on the RK3399.
But I also plan on going back to the RK3399 at some point. There are so many new drivers from RockChip I kinda want to try.
The new xserver for example with glmoregl support on Desktops is very interesting.
And yes of cause I want to try out Panfrost as well :)
BadPritt wrote:
Many thanks, I think I'll be busy for at least a week testing everything. I've already got the videos about gaming on the Jetson Nano, N2 and RK3399s. Also on the XU4, but a refresh can't hurt.
I'll also try your Buster image. Cheers.
Please keep in mind, although the N2 does not have X11 OpenGL ES support. It indirectly has X11 OpenGL support via gl4es. There are tons of games that run this way. For example RVGL, naev, neverball, hedgewars or supertux2 and so on are working fine.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
BadPritt (Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:01 am)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

BadPritt
languages_spoken: english dutch french spanish german
ODROIDs: Odroid C2
Odroid XU4Q

Post by BadPritt » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:11 am

If you want you could also explore my Debian Stretch/Buster images for the XU4/N2 they have games available as well, and come with Kernel 4.14 which is better for Desktop, but worse for emulation.
Most of the games are available for Stretch/Buster as well
May I ask where I can find your Buster image for the XU4? Or do I need to upgrade Stretch? I don't see a topic in other OS for Buster. I did find this link to seemingly one of your images, but the login credentials (root, odroid) do not work.
https://baldnerd.com/sbc-build-base/
I'll now try Stretch. Cheers.

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:20 am

That's not one of meveric's image, it's from the nagios project.

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4

Post by meveric » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:44 pm

BadPritt wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:11 am
May I ask where I can find your Buster image for the XU4? Or do I need to upgrade Stretch? I don't see a topic in other OS for Buster. I did find this link to seemingly one of your images, but the login credentials (root, odroid) do not work.
https://baldnerd.com/sbc-build-base/
I'll now try Stretch. Cheers.
Updating from Stretch to Buster should work fine, but you could also try:
https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/testing/

It's working, just never got to put the finish touch on it. You might have trouble logging in via SSH, if that's the case run dpkg-reconfigure openssh-server again.
It seems to not work on Buster as reliable as it was on Jessie and Stretch and sometimes you have to do it twice, my start script does only do it once. (finishing touch as I said^^)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

potter91
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: 4x XU4 (1x Cloudshell, 1x Cloudshell 2, 1x OGST, 1x stock), C2 as Octoprint
H2 Project: DIY NAS & mini server, proxmox, unRAID, pfSense
Wishlist: N2 4GB, at least one H2 more
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by potter91 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:42 pm

Hi meveric,

I recently reconnected my OGS kit, it has OGST installed. It is still Kodi Jarvis installed, at the time I used it as a console rather than an entertainment system.
Now I would like to ask you directly what is the best method to install Kodi Leia & Netflix?
I have already skimmed the AreaScouts "Kodi 18.5 final packages" thread, but I'm not sure if this method works.

Thank you for your complete Odroid commitment !!!
And greetings from DE ;)

rfrayer
ODROIDs: xu4, hc1

Post by rfrayer » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:50 am

potter91 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:42 pm
Hi meveric,

I recently reconnected my OGS kit, it has OGST installed. It is still Kodi Jarvis installed, at the time I used it as a console rather than an entertainment system.
Now I would like to ask you directly what is the best method to install Kodi Leia & Netflix?
I have already skimmed the AreaScouts "Kodi 18.5 final packages" thread, but I'm not sure if this method works.

Thank you for your complete Odroid commitment !!!
And greetings from DE ;)
Short answer is you can't unless they use a newer underlying operating system.

meveric

Post by meveric » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:42 am

true, and I totally missed that question O_o

theo85
ODROIDs: xu4

Post by theo85 » Sun May 10, 2020 5:49 pm

Hi, I hope to be in the right place. I took my first odroid xu4 with n64 case but I have a lot of problems and after following several guides found in this forum I'm still stuck.
main problem: if i connect xu4 to my monitor (asus vs239h) i don't see anything. the card is on the net, I work with it via ssh, but I don't see anything on the screen. after changing several hdmi cables, after trying different OS , I found that if I start xu4 connected to a low quality 16 "screen it shows (badly, cutting the edges) and if after starting I disconnect the hdmi and connect it to the ASUS monitor that works too. If I restart the card i can't see it anymore, every time I have to start by connecting to the "poor" monitor and then move on to the other. Why? how can i solve?

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady » Sun May 10, 2020 7:46 pm

You should open a new thread for the problem. Most likely you need to force a resolution in boot.ini and disable display autodetection.

robroy
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Post by robroy » Wed May 13, 2020 12:40 pm

No matter what emulator I use, every 3-4 seconds, there is a noticeable slowdown in the game, and then it goes back to normal speed for a few seconds, then slows down again. It makes games almost unplayable.

@meveric, have you been experienced this cyclical lag which is preventing games from running smoothly? I am running the stock XU4 image at 1920 x 1080 and haven't made any modifications except to run the games from an external USB drive and switch to EmulationStation. I tried running games directly from the eMMC module, as well ss switching to 720pz but the lag still happens.

On a perhaps related issue, Synaptic Package Manager is reporting that the emulationstation-odroid package is currently at 2.5.1-1+deb8 version, and wants to install 2.9.0rp-dev-1+deb, but whenever I mark it for upgrade, I get a "broken packages" message and it won't install. It also seems to want to upgrade moonlight-embedded from 2.2.3-5+deb8 to 2.4.6-1+deb8, and it also reports broken dependencies. I was able to upgrade every other package except these two.

Would you be able to try out the stock image straight from oph.mdrjr.net and see if you can recreate the Atari 7800 lag and broken dependency issues? I have been working on both of them for a couple weeks and am at a standstill.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

meveric

Post by meveric » Wed May 13, 2020 4:14 pm

for ES and moonlight update try:

Code: Select all

apt-get install -t jessie emulationstation-odroid moonlight-embedded
They may require packages from backports.
If that doesn't help let me know the error and I see what's missing.

I see what I can do about running from "fresh" image, as I haven't done that in years :)
The lagging is odd, especially if you're running A7800 games, which is 8bit console and don't require any CPU/GPU performance what so ever.

I'll see what I can find out by trying from a fresh image :)

robroy

Post by robroy » Thu May 14, 2020 5:45 am

Thank you! I am also going to try a fresh copy of OGST to see if the lag is related to a bad copy on my eMMC. I know that when I tried to update the repo package list using synaptic package manager, it reported that some of the packages were unavailable from the oph.mdrjr.net repository.
Last edited by robroy on Thu May 14, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

robroy

Post by robroy » Thu May 14, 2020 3:00 pm

Update: the lag was indeed due to a damaged image, and it no longer occurs on the fresh image. I also uninstalled moonlight-embedded, which let me upgrade the emulationstation-odroid package. The moonlight-embedded is unable to be upgraded because of an incompatible version of libssl, but I don't use it anyway.
These users thanked the author robroy for the post:
mad_ady (Thu May 14, 2020 7:33 pm)

meveric

Post by meveric » Thu May 14, 2020 3:42 pm

yeah, that's a bit of a dependencies mixup.
You first have to update libssl from -t jessie-backports, after which you can update moonlight-embedded.
But I'm glad it's working again for you :)

toalorama
ODROIDs: XU4, HC2

Post by toalorama » Sun May 17, 2020 12:55 am

Trying to update python-cryptograph
apt-get install -t jessie-backports python-cryptography python3-cryptography
Reading package lists... Done
E: The value 'jessie-backports' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/jess ... f/Packages gives 404

There is no jessie-backports in http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/

meveric

Post by meveric » Sun May 17, 2020 3:46 pm

backports is now at archive.debian.org... but if you install the update of setup-ogst-odroid package first it will fix the repositories needed for this.

toalorama
ODROIDs: XU4, HC2

Post by toalorama » Sun May 17, 2020 6:39 pm

Ah, very good Sir.

m4f2g
ODROIDs: 2 [XU4] modified,
HominoidSplit Air Case + freefloating OGST-n64 Front Panel

VU7a+ as "mobile"screen in ameridroid vu7 tablet

Post by m4f2g » Fri May 22, 2020 11:10 pm

Oh man, how long does the installation take?
After flashing the emmc, the screen is black for several minutes (15++),
I did not use this xu4 for a long time, so i'm a little confused, if the device is broken OR working well.
Beside that, Alive LED is blinking and on keyboard i can switch Num Roll INV Leds, so maybe it it works as intended???

So another question,
for stable use, a swap partition is elemantary (in my usage), so is it possible, to create a swp partition after flashing the image or is it better to remove after the setup is daon? Does the setup automatically get use of the swp partition and configures fstab correctly?

meveric

Post by meveric » Sat May 23, 2020 12:26 am

m4f2g wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:10 pm
Oh man, how long does the installation take?
There is no "installation" happening. It only does configure some settings and reboots. Shouldn't take more than a few seconds.
m4f2g wrote:
Beside that, Alive LED is blinking and on keyboard i can switch Num Roll INV Leds, so maybe it it works as intended???
Well that means the system is running, so generally it should be working. My Guess you simply have no output on your monitor, but the rest is running fine.
Maybe you need to adjust the boot.ini to match your monitor.
m4f2g wrote:
So another question,
for stable use, a swap partition is elemantary (in my usage), so is it possible, to create a swp partition after flashing the image or is it better to remove after the setup is daon?
Swap is not really for "stability" it just means, the system is working out of specs which should be avoided.
Easiest is to simply install zram-odroid to use zram as a swap.
But you can also just create a swap-file or partition and mount this via fstab.
m4f2g wrote:
Does the setup automatically get use of the swp partition and configures fstab correctly?
No the system can not guess when you use swap or not and do fstab entries based on guesses.
If you add your own swap file/partition you need to add this manually.
Or use something like zram.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
m4f2g (Sat May 23, 2020 5:36 am)

m4f2g
ODROIDs: 2 [XU4] modified,
HominoidSplit Air Case + freefloating OGST-n64 Front Panel

VU7a+ as "mobile"screen in ameridroid vu7 tablet

Post by m4f2g » Sat May 23, 2020 3:35 am

Thanks.
Now it worked, on third attempt , after re-erasing and re-flashing and finally setting up a swap partition at the end and not forgot to change boot.ini for my screen. This card flashing thing is so unpredictable.

Return to “OGST-XU4”