Help with Odroid XU4 hardware setup for emulation purpose

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian
Magroc
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help with Odroid XU4 hardware setup for emulation purpose

Unread post by Magroc » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:22 am

My apologies if this has been already requested. I'm going to order an Odroid XU4 for emulation purpose with eMMC card for installing the OS such as Ubuntu and emulation station and hard disk for full roms set and isos with the following specifications. I'll greatly appreciate if someone could guide me with the best hardware setup.

Hardware
Odroid XU4
Power supply 5v / 6A to improve the system stability
OGST Gaming Console case - N64 Build
eMMC card maximum capacity? eMMC cards are faster and more reliable than an SD card
How can I connect an eMMC card to Odroid XU4?
External Hard disk maximum capacity for the following full roms set and isos?
ODroid USB3.0 to SATA or a normal external hard disk connected to USB?
USB Bluetooth dongle
USB Wi-Fi
Gamesir G4s wire less joypad

I found these brands suggestions: Seagate, Toshiba Western Digital. Do I need an external HDD or I can fit all rom sets in an eMMC card?

Emulating the following full rom set
Commodore 64
Commodore 16
Zx Spectrum
Amiga
CD32
Amstrad
Sharp X6800
PC Engine
Sega Master system
Sega Genesis
Sega CD
Sega 32
Super Nintendo
Nes
PC engine
Pc Engine Cd
Arcade games (coin up)
Sega Saturn (only 2d games
Sega Dream Cast (only 2d games)
PS1 (small collection)
Nintendu 64 (only 2d games)
PSP small collection

Thank you

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Help with Odroid XU4 hardware setup for emulation purpose

Unread post by odroid » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:26 pm

Please install the OGST OS image and read this long thread first.
viewtopic.php?f=156&t=7322

Magroc

Unread post by Magroc » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:46 pm

Thank you for your reply. Yes OGST is great os for Odroid xu4. I decided to install it with all the roms on an SD card class 10. Could you please let me know what is the idesl sd card size for all the roms listed above?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:56 pm

You have several CD based games:
SegaCD
Commodore Amiga CD32
PC Engine CD
Sega Saturn
Sega Deamcast
PS1
PSP
etc.

These games can be HUGE, I've seen dreamcast romlists of 500+ GB of size
And that is just ONE system, so if you want to store all games on SD card, then get the biggest one you can get, 64GB 128GB something like that.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Magroc

Unread post by Magroc » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:47 pm

Thank you so much. sd cards are known for getting corrupt when saving on them continuously. Should i order class 10 sd card or should i opt for an eMMC card?

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:47 am

eMMC are far more robust and will last a lot longer.
There's also the option to run your ROMs from an external drive, such as a external HDD via USB.
This gives you cheap, very robust and nearly infinite space compared to eMMC or SD cards (e.g. 500 GB 2.5" HDD/SSD are way below $50)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Magroc

Unread post by Magroc » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:38 am

meveric wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:47 am
eMMC are far more robust and will last a lot longer.
There's also the option to run your ROMs from an external drive, such as a external HDD via USB.
This gives you cheap, very robust and nearly infinite space compared to eMMC or SD cards (e.g. 500 GB 2.5" HDD/SSD are way below $50)
Thank you for your advice :) I think I'll opt for the external HDD, however I imagine If I'll be using an HDD for the roms, the OGST has the be installed on an SD card am I correct?

On Hardkernal I found that with an external 2.5 HD the bundle 5V/4A power supply is not enough to supply stable power.
therefore they recommend to use their 5V/6A PSU to improve the system stability.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:48 am

Magroc wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:38 am
Thank you for your advice :) I think I'll opt for the external HDD, however I imagine If I'll be using an HDD for the roms, the OGST has the be installed on an SD card am I correct?
There are several different ways how you can achieve this.
You can put only the ROMs on the HDD, or you can put the entire rootfs on the HDD, basically booting directly from HDD.
Still you will need the SD always to start the system.
Magroc wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:38 am
On Hardkernal I found that with an external 2.5 HD the bundle 5V/4A power supply is not enough to supply stable power.
therefore they recommend to use their 5V/6A PSU to improve the system stability.
That depends on the HDD. Some work just fine as is, others might require extra power. To be honest I haven't seen any difference between 4A and 6A the ODROID where I had a HDD having issues being powered by USB, it had issues both with 4A and 6A with no difference at all in stability. Only once I switched to a powered USB hub the stability increased.
The difference between 4A and 6A is mainly for the NUMBER of USB devices you can run simultaneously.
Means if you have a HDD that DOES run fine from an USB port, that's good, but if you add HDDs to ALL of the USB ports, then it might not be good, that's when you require a 6A.
But if a single HDD fails on you USB port with 4A and no additional devices connected to USB, then it will also fail with a 6A power supply.

Magroc

Unread post by Magroc » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:45 pm

Thanks you so much. I received the Odroid package after a few days. Shipping is very fast.

I installed OGST OS on an sd card with 64 gb formated to fat32 and i tried to update it by opening MATE terminal and I added the following command. While it was updating it stoped and i received this message (some index files failed to download. They have been ignored or old ones used instead) Someone could be so kind and advice me how can i update OGST?

Command
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade && apt-get autoremove
Last edited by Magroc on Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:48 pm

1. make sure time is correct and not in the past or something
2. do an apt-get update (ignore the errors)
3. apt-get install setup-ogst-odroid
4. do apt-get update again.. errors should be gone.

Magroc

Unread post by Magroc » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:16 pm

Thank you so much :) I've been strugiling to solve this and I couldn't undestand if i've done something wrong. I followed your instructions and after a few seconds it finished with the message below:

Fetched 1,720 kb in 12s (138 lb/s)
Reading package lists...Done

I'll greatly appreciate if you could let me know if this was for updating OGST OS or for fixing the errors? Is this all or should i try to update it by adding this command apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade && apt-get autoremove ?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:50 pm

if the last command you run was apt-get update, then that's the output of that command.
Try using the entire:

Code: Select all

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
now and see if you get any new updates installed.

Magroc

Unread post by Magroc » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:11 pm

Thank you, yes it worked :-) after a long process i received the following message:
Calculating upgrade... The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libevdev-dev libjsoncpp0' libzip2
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
Done
The following packages have been kept back:
emulation station-idroid
0 upgrade, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not to upgrade.
root@gamestation-turbo:/home/odroid#

I think the next command should be 0 and after restart the rebooting correct?

The above reminds me of DOS, but since i have never used debian i can easily do sometinf wrong.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:51 pm

hmm update of emulationstation is held back...
probably some odd dependencies.
Can you try apt-get install -t jessie emulationstation-odroid

Magroc

Unread post by Magroc » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:30 am

meveric wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:51 pm
hmm update of emulationstation is held back...
probably some odd dependencies.
Can you try apt-get install -t jessie emulationstation-odroid

Thank you again for you help. I did as suggested after unpacking and setting up the last message is the following:

Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u10)

I am wondering whether these issues are happening becuse i have a usb western digital 2TB HDD connected to one of the internal 3.0 usb ports of my Odroid XU4?

When you have the time I'll greatly appreciate if you could let me know if the OSG update is complete.

Thank you again

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:40 am

none of the messages you showed were "issues" they are normal output lines.

and yes the main setup should be done.. if you add ROMs to the system you should be ready to use it.

Magroc

Unread post by Magroc » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:52 am

Thank you so much for your help :-)

Magroc

Unread post by Magroc » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Would you mind letting me know how can I verify that OSTG has been updated?

I tried googling this but I could not find any info

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:33 pm

there is no "the ogst" it consists of hundreds of small parts that are updated individually.
If apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade listed a large list of items and then installed all these items (probably took several minutes) then you can assume the system was updated.

Magroc

Unread post by Magroc » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:32 pm

I am wondering whether from the following tools version number it is possible to verify if OGST has been updated properly.

Mate terminal version is now 1.8.1,
Emulatio station version 2.9.0RP-DEV
Kodi 0.6.1

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:57 pm

Magroc wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:32 pm
Mate terminal version is now 1.8.1
Mate Desktop comes from the OS and has nothing to do with OGST
Magroc wrote:
This is the latest and most recent version of EmulationStation (a clear sign it was updated recently) -> viewtopic.php?p=264240#p264240
Magroc wrote:
Kodi 0.6.1
There is no such thing as Kodi 0.6.1.
Currently you either have Kodi 16.1 installed or 17.6 (if you installed kodi-next-odroid)

Magroc

Unread post by Magroc » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:20 am

meveric wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:57 pm
Magroc wrote:
Mate terminal version is now 1.8.1
Mate Desktop comes from the OS and has nothing to do with OGST
Magroc wrote:
This is the latest and most recent version of EmulationStation (a clear sign it was updated recently) -> viewtopic.php?p=264240#p264240
Magroc wrote:
Kodi 0.6.1
There is no such thing as Kodi 0.6.1.
Currently you either have Kodi 16.1 installed or 17.6 (if you installed kodi-next-odroid)
Thank you for all your help :-)

Return to “OGST-XU4”