Using system intro videos on lcd screen?

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian
BobTheUmpaLoompa
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid XU4/OGST
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Using system intro videos on lcd screen?

Unread post by BobTheUmpaLoompa » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:32 am

I've recently just installed ORA on my XU4 with the OGST case and found out that the older system videos/gifs such as mario hiding behind the N64 logo (these were shown on one of ETA primes first videos on the OGST case) are no longer displayed on the lcd screen, but just static images when loading a specific system. Some people over on the RA Discord chat told me the information and files for those original little intros are available on this forum. Is there anyone that could point me to those files and explain how to add them on? Unfortunately I'm very new to this kind of hardware so I have no idea where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Re: Using system intro videos on lcd screen?

Unread post by meveric » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:49 am

These videos were never part of the ORA image, it's only part of the OGST image also available for the XU4.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

BobTheUmpaLoompa

Unread post by BobTheUmpaLoompa » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:55 am

meveric wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:49 am
These videos were never part of the ORA image, it's only part of the OGST image also available for the XU4.
Oh I see so its an entirely different image I'd have to install. Will GameStation Turbo run similar to retropie on emulationstation?

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:09 am

it can, yes it has emulationstation pre-installed but it's not as completely configured as you might expect or are used to by retropie, i don't have any theming done for this and such.
this image predates any retropie images for ODROIDs by 3 to 4 years years and was build entirely differently.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

BobTheUmpaLoompa

Unread post by BobTheUmpaLoompa » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:22 am

Hmm well I guess I should have done some more research before installing what I have now. I really liked the OGST case and the lcd screen so thats a big reason why I went with it. I'm not entirely sure how I would go about changing the image to gamestation turbo since everything is configured for ORA such as BT controllers and using a micro SD card and not EMMC

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:32 am

doesn't matter if you run a image from eMMC or microSD that is working on every image and is nothing "special".
you can flash every image simply on an SD card and it's working just fine.
my image uses retroarch with udev autoconfiguration... if your controller is known to retroarch (they have a very large library of known controllers) it should work out of the box on the OGST image.
I mostly use wireless XBox 360 controller, or even wireless GameSir G3s which works perfectly fine.

BobTheUmpaLoompa

Unread post by BobTheUmpaLoompa » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:57 am

I appreciate the information. I think I might stick to RA for now since I don't want to go through the process of re-flashing the card since I already have cover art, themes, and games already installed which took forever... If its possible, would someone be willing to show me the steps of adding on small animated gifs on the lcd screen for the OGST case? I was told that this forum was the best place to be for people who want to tinker around with that kind of thing.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:51 pm

i can tell you how i did it, but i can tell you if that works on the ORA images.
first i installed mplayer (an old video player that can also output on fbX devices.
then i converted videos/animations to 320x240 size and start them with:

Code: Select all

mplayer -nolirc -vo fbdev2:/dev/fb1 <filename>
there's also an option to change the videos output size with mplayer instead of changing the video but i don't use this as results are not always good.

BobTheUmpaLoompa

Unread post by BobTheUmpaLoompa » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:15 am

I do know that when you turn the system on RA shows a little opening gif on the screen so maybe its already installed? I guess one of my questions for you is that if I decide to stick to using small gifs do they have to be a certain frame amount in order to play or is there specifics as to what gifs will play and which ones won't? I really just want to have one or two at the introduction of a specific system, play once, then go back to a static screen.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:14 am

as long as it's max. 320x240 resolution there are not specifics for a gif or video that you play.

Return to “OGST-XU4”