New install with apt update/upgrade - HDMI output disabled?

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

New install with apt update/upgrade - HDMI output disabled?

Unread postby mxc4 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Hi all,

I "dd" the September 2018 image to a emcc module and was able to successfully boot off the card. I sshed in and did the usual "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y && apt-get autoremove". Now the devices boots up and I can ssh in but the hdmi monitor does not come on? There appears to be no broken packages.

Any idea what to do to get hdmi enabled again?
mxc4

languages_spoken: english

Re: New install with apt update/upgrade - HDMI output disabl

Unread postby meveric » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:26 pm

you might want to also do apt-get dist-upgrade as it updates Kernel and other packages.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby mxc4 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:39 pm

Tried that but it says there is nothing to upgrade. :(
mxc4

Unread postby meveric » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:44 pm

hmm as I don't know what image you're using, there's not much I can do or suggest.
Maybe you can check the default logs like /var/log/syslog or /var/log/Xorg.0.log to figure out what's wrong.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby mxc4 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:49 pm

I used this image GameStation-Turbo-3.9.6-20180619-XU3+XU4-Jessie.img. Hope its the right one. Will reflash and see what happens.
mxc4

Unread postby meveric » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:52 pm

That's not September that's June (explains why I was confused) :D
But yeah the image shouldn't break just by doing apt-get upgrade.. but also it should have updates with apt-get dist-upgrade.
So maybe you've done that already.
meveric

Unread postby mxc4 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:08 pm

doh! Ok I thought I had the latest.
mxc4

Unread postby meveric » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:15 pm

This is the latest. There is no need to create a new image every month or whatever.
meveric

Unread postby mxc4 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:19 am

thanks. Discovered that when I tried to go and download the newest image :) So I have reinstalled twice and tried two different monitors just in case one was acting up and the same result. Really odd :(

I can't reproduce it but I am pretty convinced it booted up fine once when I came back to this project after a break of a few hours just now even with the upgrades. I think I am going mad :( Will continue to hack away at this.

=== Update ===

All I can find is one held back package moonlight-embedded. Trying to upgrade it I get

he following packages have unmet dependencies:
moonlight-embedded : Depends: libssl1.0.0 (>= 1.0.2~beta3) but 1.0.1t-1+deb8u9 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
mxc4

Unread postby joy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:25 pm

Do your monitors say "no HDMI input"
or there is no problem to detect hdmi connection to monitors but no display output?
joy

ODROIDs: ODROID-C1+, XU4, X

Unread postby meveric » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:37 pm

mxc4 wrote:All I can find is one held back package moonlight-embedded. Trying to upgrade it I get

he following packages have unmet dependencies:
moonlight-embedded : Depends: libssl1.0.0 (>= 1.0.2~beta3) but 1.0.1t-1+deb8u9 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

That's no big deal, it's due to the fact that moonlight-embedded requires a newer version of openssl library than what comes with Debian Jessie.
But you can install it like this:
Code: Select all
apt-get install -t jessie-backports moonlight-embedded

But this has nothing to do with HDMI :)
meveric

Return to OGST-XU4