[SOLVED] Need help migrating OS to external HDD on XU4

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

[SOLVED] Need help migrating OS to external HDD on XU4

Unread postby AkiraSensei » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:33 am

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 in which I have the SD for booting and its external hard drive having the actual operating system running on. I am still very new to Linux.

I followed these steps from the link below and it has worked great so far for a year now on my Pi:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-tur ... -megalith/

I wanted to do the same for my XU4 but I am stuck on what to do on the last steps starting with:

sudo cp /boot/cmdline.txt /boot/cmdline.orig
sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt

Since I'm using a different operating system (GameStation Turbo, based on Debian Mate), the OS boots differently. Would any of you know what I can do instead on these last steps? I don't want to end up buying an eMMC when an external HDD USB 3.0 should do it for my needs. Thanks!
AkiraSensei

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4

Re: Need help migrating OS to external HDD on XU4

Unread postby meveric » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:48 pm

On your Desktop of OGST is a link that says "Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo" double click it, type in your root password (should be "odroid")
And select to "Move rootfs to hdd".

It's all there already.. just follow the steps on the screen and read carefully.

It will create an LVM volume which you can increase in size when you need it. This allows you to create own partitions and resize them the way you want.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby AkiraSensei » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:18 am

Sorry for the late reply. I actually noticed that later on and I got it to work by also using Gparted to make and resize partitions easily. Thanks for including that feature to make it easier for us Linux newbies!
AkiraSensei

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby genegun » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:32 pm

meveric wrote:On your Desktop of OGST is a link that says "Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo" double click it, type in your root password (should be "odroid")
And select to "Move rootfs to hdd".

It's all there already.. just follow the steps on the screen and read carefully.

It will create an LVM volume which you can increase in size when you need it. This allows you to create own partitions and resize them the way you want.

Hello, I succesfully did that but I am stuck at the chaging size step'
Please Note: rootfs partition was created with 13G of space. │ │ You can use lvresize in combination resize2fs to resize the partition on the fly.

I cannot find how to resize the partition to the full size of my drive.
Thank you!
genegun

Unread postby meveric » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:50 pm

There is a graphical tool of which I do not remember the name at the moment. On command line you can do it manually like this:
Code: Select all
su -
lvresize -L XXX G /dev/hdd/root
resize2fs /dev/hdd/root

Where XXX the size in GB that you want to set it to for example lvresize -L 500G /dev/hdd/root would increase it to 500GB. You can use the command pvscan to see how much space you have left and in total
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby genegun » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:15 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. I tried Gparted but it did not seem to be able to extend the size beyond the 30GB (on a 250GB drive) that it allocated when I ran the move root to hdd command. All I could do was shrink basically, not expand.

I will try your suggestion and report back, thank you very much
EDIT' I ran the commands and got the following

root@gamestation-turbo:/home/odroid# lvresize -L 232G /dev/hdd/root
  Size of logical volume hdd/root changed from 13.00 GiB (3328 extents) to 232.00 GiB (59392 extents).
  Logical volume root successfully resized
root@gamestation-turbo:/home/odroid# resize2fs /dev/hdd/root
resize2fs 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
Filesystem at /dev/hdd/root is mounted on /; on-line resizing required
old_desc_blocks = 1, new_desc_blocks = 15
The filesystem on /dev/hdd/root is now 60817408 (4k) blocks long.

Yet when I right-click on GameStationTurbo drive, it still says 30GB. As you can tell, I am a linux newbie so I am sorry if my questions are stupid. Thank you!
genegun

Unread postby genegun » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:27 pm

BTw, here is the pvscan output'

root@gamestation-turbo:/media/odroid/GameStationTurbo# pvscan
  PV /dev/sda1   VG hdd   lvm2 [232.88 GiB / 904.00 MiB free]
  Total: 1 [232.88 GiB] / in use: 1 [232.88 GiB] / in no VG: 0 [0   ]
genegun

Unread postby meveric » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:38 pm

genegun wrote:Thank you so much for your reply. I tried Gparted but it did not seem to be able to extend the size beyond the 30GB (on a 250GB drive) that it allocated when I ran the move root to hdd command. All I could do was shrink basically, not expand.

I will try your suggestion and report back, thank you very much
EDIT' I ran the commands and got the following

root@gamestation-turbo:/home/odroid# lvresize -L 232G /dev/hdd/root
  Size of logical volume hdd/root changed from 13.00 GiB (3328 extents) to 232.00 GiB (59392 extents).
  Logical volume root successfully resized
root@gamestation-turbo:/home/odroid# resize2fs /dev/hdd/root
resize2fs 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
Filesystem at /dev/hdd/root is mounted on /; on-line resizing required
old_desc_blocks = 1, new_desc_blocks = 15
The filesystem on /dev/hdd/root is now 60817408 (4k) blocks long.

Yet when I right-click on GameStationTurbo drive, it still says 30GB. As you can tell, I am a linux newbie so I am sorry if my questions are stupid. Thank you!

Everything went fine and looks good.
The GameStationTurbo device you see is from the SD/eMMC you can ignore it.
meveric

Unread postby genegun » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:26 pm

meveric wrote:Everything went fine and looks good.
The GameStationTurbo device you see is from the SD/eMMC you can ignore it.

OK, thank you very much for that! Now I would like to move my ROM folder to that same SSD drive. Will the solutions that you suggested in your main thread work? (symlink, etc.) Would you recommend one over the other? Thank you very much!
genegun

Unread postby meveric » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:58 pm

That's already done. Moving the rootfs to the hdd/ssd includes moving the ROMs folder. So it's already on your ssd. You just need to copy your ROMs itself over. Using for example WinSCP for Windows which can directly connect to the ODROID.
meveric

Unread postby genegun » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:32 pm

OK, that did it, thank you very much for your help!
genegun

Return to OGST-XU4