ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Unread postby meveric » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:14 am

I guess that should work, yes.. There's also a small description in the forum post I linked.
Basically you just place the .pk3 files in your home folder under .yq2 and if you use the expansions you put it in the expansion folders.
That's about it :)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby ExarKunIv » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:59 am

thank you for the info

i did just that. this time the games does start, but man does it look bad. i have white blocks everywhere cant read any of the words... something is wrong, but it did start. im sure following that readme i linked before messed something up. i will wipe it all out and start over.

does jedi kight 2 and 3, and homeworld work on the XU4 ?
ExarKunIv

languages_spoken: english

Unread postby meveric » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:45 am

I checked the issue with the white blocks and I can confirm this. This is due to some changes made on gl4es a wrapper for OpenGL to OpenGL ES which is used for this port.
I will update the yquake2 packages to address that issue. If you don't want to wait you can edit the file /usr/local/bin/yquake2 manually and remove the LIBGL_BATCH=1 parameter from the command line in there and it should work fine again.

Yes Jedi Knight 2 and 3 as well as Homeworld should work fine on the XU4 although it could be that movies won't work in Homeworld (that always was a little bit of an issue).
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby meveric » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:19 am

Uploaded new versions of yquake2 packages for all boards: viewtopic.php?p=216318#p216318
meveric

Unread postby ExarKunIv » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:59 am

to update quake 2 all i need to do is
Code: Select all
apt-get install yquake2-odroid
correct ? nevermind on quake a update just popped up

also what kernel should i be on, maybe that is the reason why im having problems with most of the games im trying to run, like Jedi knight 2 and 3 and homeworld
Last edited by ExarKunIv on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ExarKunIv

Unread postby meveric » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:53 am

All software has be tested against Kernel 3.10 but should work on Kernel 4.14 nonetheless.

Regarding updates: Check the first post where it says "First things first" that is how you do a proper update.
meveric

Unread postby ExarKunIv » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:03 am

ok my kernel is 3.10 so im good there

i did to the update thing when i first installed everything. did not know that is how i update it afterwords also. good to know

quake 2 is running very well and no white boxes.

now for me to get homeworld working
ExarKunIv

Unread postby ExarKunIv » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:57 am

So i redid a SD card

im getting s error on the desktop about low disk space. i know that you said something about a resize is done automatically, but when. it as been up and running for 15 min so far.

im currently running
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
ExarKunIv

Unread postby meveric » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:37 am

first boot can take up to two or three minutes after which it should reboot automatically.
Shortly after the reboot the full size should be available.
Please make sure you only have one device connected (either eMMC or SD) not both at once.
meveric

Unread postby ExarKunIv » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:56 am

ok thank you.

i only have a SD so no problems there, but when i do upgrade to a eMMC, its good to know.
after i updated i rebooted my system and the low disk space warning did not come up.

stil messing with getting homeworld to work. for the data files. they need to be updated to the latest version which is 1.05 correct
ExarKunIv

Unread postby bilbo6209 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:49 am

I would LOVE to see an Apple 2 emulator included if possible.
bilbo6209

ODROIDs: u2

Unread postby meveric » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:54 am

I'll check what I can do.
I think I compiled one but never got around testing/integrating it.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:44 am

I've made a quick port of the linapple emulator and tried to add some minor improvements, like auto-screen-size and such things.
The emulator seems to run fine, except from direct FTP download, not sure why it's not working.
Also I have no clue yet how to integrate it into any of the frontends.. you probably have to adjust the config file each time to load the correct .dsk files.
meveric

Unread postby sdip » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:40 am

Hey meveric, first of all, thanks for your hard work!

There seems to be something wrong with the latest 3.9.5 XU4 image.
When dd'd to eMMC, the blue LED heartbeat doesn't turn on. On the laptop, I can mount the 2 partitions and see the files in there.
When trying to install with the multiboot script here viewtopic.php?f=98&t=16369 , it craps out at mounting the root partition.
I checked md5, redownloaded.. Right now the 3.9.3 image seems to be installing fine with the multiboot script, will update if any further issues.

EDIT: Turns out the boot partitions got mangled during many flashes. Thanks for your reply @meveric
Last edited by sdip on Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdip

Unread postby meveric » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:36 pm

Since many people already downloaded the 3.9.5 image (including myself) and the image worked for everyone, I kinda doubt it's an issue with the image itself as it works for others.
But it could be that your eMMC needs a recovery to make sure it can boot the image: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=6173

I can't help you with the multiboot script, I have no clue how it works. As partitions are mounted in /etc/fstab as well as boot.ini those two must match, and if the multiboot script changes the partition layout (which I guess it does) the system will later on fail to boot and those things need to be corrected.
meveric

Unread postby derfred » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:30 pm

Hello,
Thanks for the great work.
Is there any Stretch update planned some days?
Regards
Fred
derfred

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: XU4, C1, C2

Unread postby meveric » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:34 pm

Yes update to Stretch is planed but rather complicated due to some driver issues with XServer and Debian Stretch.
So it will take some time, but I'm working on it.. New software is already ported to Debian Stretch as well so it makes it easier in the future to switch to Stretch.
meveric

Unread postby derfred » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:01 pm

Great. Do you need any help on that respect?
derfred

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: XU4, C1, C2

Unread postby meveric » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:06 pm

I need to port a few things first to get the default to work.. If I don't have a working XServer I can't test the rest, so this has to be done first, and after that we can work and test the rest.
meveric

Unread postby cisary » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:42 am

Hi everyone, I just received my first odroid (XU4Q) and I want to try GameStation Turbo with Kodi.

Should I use ODROID-GameStation-Turbo-3.9.5-20171115-XU3+XU4-Jessie.img.xz image?

Is it safe to use with XU4Q? I saw some default overclocking in this thread and I don't want to brick my brand new odroid.

Sorry for newbie question. BTW I saw that first post was last updated on Mon Aug 22, 2016, are there any plans to the future?
Last edited by cisary on Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
cisary

languages_spoken: english, slovak, czech
ODROIDs: XU4Q

Unread postby meveric » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:39 am

cisary wrote:Hi everyone, I just received my first odroid (XU4Q) and I want to try GameStation Turbo with Kodi.

Should I use ODROID-GameStation-Turbo-3.9.5-20171115-XU3+XU4-Jessie.img.xz image?

Is it safe to use with XU4Q?

XU4Q is just a XU4 without a fan it's entirely the same board just with a passive cooler.

cisary wrote:I saw some default overclocking in this thread and I don't want to brick my brand new odroid.

No, there is no overclocking on this image, nor on any other image. What is used though is the performance governor, which means that the CPU is always running on maximum speed rather than clocking down and up where needed.
This is done to guarantee the best performance for gaming.
Although this will not brick your ODROID, due to the passive cooler, it might get too hot after a while and clock down anyway to prevent overheating. Especially if you use the plastic case sold by hardkernel, as this tend to trap the heat inside.

cisary wrote:Sorry for newbie question. BTW I saw that first post was last updated on Mon Aug 22, 2016, are there any plans to the future?

I've been moderator on the forum for quite a while now, and my changes on forum posts are no longer registered as changes, still I'm constantly updating my work.
As you can see by the name of the image you pointed out, which has 2017-11-15 as a date, which is much later than the last change registered of Aug 22, 2016 ;)
Aside from that you can see my constant work going on in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=5908&start=400
where I constantly post updates to all the software I maintain or stuff that I add anew.
meveric

Unread postby cisary » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:47 am

Thanks for quick answers meveric!

GameStation Turbo booted just fine from eMMC but I got the message: "You don't have enoght space.. 123MB" I have 16GB eMMC is it a problem?

I have 32GB microSD also so I did:
cp -av /home/odroid/ROMS /media/odroid/<MySD>/
rm -r /home/odroid/ROMS
ln -sf /media/odroid/<MySD>/ROMS /home/odroid/ROMS

I have problem with bluetooth: How can I pair my gamepad? (8bitdo sfc30) I have usb hardkernel bluetooth module

Another newbie question: Where should I place BIOS for Playstation? I want to test emulation performance
cisary

Unread postby meveric » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:54 am

cisary wrote:Thanks for quick answers meveric!

GameStation Turbo booted just fine from eMMC but I got the message: "You don't have enoght space.. 123MB" I have 16GB eMMC is it a problem?

If you wait a minute or two after the first boot, it should automatically reboot and after that the size of the partition is enlarged to the entire size of the eMMC/SD card.

cisary wrote:I have problem with bluetooth: How can I pair my gamepad? (8bitdo sfc30) I have usb hardkernel bluetooth module

Try installing blueman that should allow you to use a graphical interface to pair your device.

cisary wrote:Another newbie question: Where should I place BIOS for Playstation? I want to test emulation performance

All BIOS files should be placed under /home/odroid/ROMS/
(except for Dreamcast which needs to be placed under /home/odroid/.reicast/data/)
meveric

Unread postby cisary » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:45 am

meveric wrote:
cisary wrote:Thanks for quick answers meveric!

If you wait a minute or two after the first boot, it should automatically reboot and after that the size of the partition is enlarged to the entire size of the eMMC/SD card.

cisary wrote:I have problem with bluetooth: How can I pair my gamepad? (8bitdo sfc30) I have usb hardkernel bluetooth module

Try installing blueman that should allow you to use a graphical interface to pair your device.

cisary wrote:Another newbie question: Where should I place BIOS for Playstation? I want to test emulation performance

All BIOS files should be placed under /home/odroid/ROMS/
(except for Dreamcast which needs to be placed under /home/odroid/.reicast/data/)

Blueman helped, thank you one more time!

I did upgrade by:

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

and I'll go down deeper into this rabbit hole now :)

Another newbie question though:

How can I "backup" whole eMMC (with all changes/customizations..) so that I can flash it by Etcher later? I'm using macOS

You're awesome, keep up great work!
cisary

Unread postby meveric » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:20 am

not sure but you should also be able to make an backup with etcher..
or you can use the dd command to copy the device (eMMC) to the harddrive as an image file.
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=mybackup.img
meveric

Unread postby escarneiro » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:38 am

Thank you guys. Just try to say in the post what images are capable for what Odroid.

I have an U3. I don't know what image should I download.
escarneiro

languages_spoken: english, portuguses
ODROIDs: Odroid U3

Unread postby meveric » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:22 pm

escarneiro wrote:Thank you guys. Just try to say in the post what images are capable for what Odroid.

I have an U3. I don't know what image should I download.

The same image exists for ODROID U2/U3 as well: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2684
meveric

Unread postby Kor123 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:41 am

Hi all,

I have a question, maybe someone can help me?
I try to get cec running and so for not much luck

First i saw, that the flag in /boot/boot.ini for cec was set to false, so i changed it to true
after that i installed cec-utils and libcec (which installed libcec 3.01 and not 4.01; is it supposed to be like that?)

anyway, i tried to connect my tv while looking a cec-client in a console. That seems to work.

Where i am stuck is the connection to kodi. i know a controller is supposed to show up in kodi under system->periphery, but it doesn't. That point always greyed out.

Can someone lead me in the right direction?
Kor123

Unread postby meveric » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:52 pm

Kor123 wrote:Hi all,

I have a question, maybe someone can help me?
I try to get cec running and so for not much luck

First i saw, that the flag in /boot/boot.ini for cec was set to false, so i changed it to true
after that i installed cec-utils and libcec (which installed libcec 3.01 and not 4.01; is it supposed to be like that?)

Debian Jessie only comes with cec 2.1.4, deb-multimedia comes with CEC 2.2.0.
I personally made CEC 3.0 available in jessie/main but also offer 3.1.0 and 4.0.1 in my Jessie backports repository.
So YES it IS normal. If you want cec 4.0 you can try the following:
apt-get install -t jessie cec-utils

Kor123 wrote:
anyway, i tried to connect my tv while looking a cec-client in a console. That seems to work.

Where i am stuck is the connection to kodi. i know a controller is supposed to show up in kodi under system->periphery, but it doesn't. That point always greyed out.

Can someone lead me in the right direction?

Kodi uses libcec and not cec-utils. Depending on the Kodi version you're using you either need libcec3 (Kodi Jarvis) or libcec4 (Kodi Krypton).
You can also check the logs about problems, for this you have to edit or rename /home/odroid/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml as I disable logging in that file to increase SD/eMMC lifetime.
Once logging is enabled again you can check unter /home/odroid/.kodi/temp/kodi.log if it's missing something. It will tell you what libcec library it expects in the logs.
meveric

Unread postby ExarKunIv » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:28 am

well after not being able to do anything on my XU4 im back. i get me a small HDMI cable so i can hook it up to a bettery widescreen monitor. and that is where my probmel is
when i exit both quake 2 and doom 3 the screen goes black, and will not exit to desktop. i need to reboot to do anything else.
and with Half life that is really messed up

i have no idea what is going on my new Res is 1920x1080
my old Res is 1280x1024 and i have no problem with the games exiting or playing.

so far they are the only ones i have come across that has issues
ExarKunIv

Unread postby meveric » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:43 am

ExarKunIv wrote:when i exit both quake 2 and doom 3 the screen goes black, and will not exit to desktop. i need to reboot to do anything else.

I'm not exactly sure what could be the issue, but you can try pressing CTRL + ALT + F to fix this issue, or try switching the VT1 with CTRL + ALT + F1 and see if you can kill the process (you can return to the desktop with CTRL + ALT + F7) although it shouldn't be necessary.
ExarKunIv wrote:and with Half life that is really messed up

That is a known issue for the XU3/XU4 series under Kernel 3.10, and was fixed with Kernel 4.14, but can easily be avoided on Kernel 3.10.
The problem is, that when you start a game in a different resolution than the desktop resolution the picture gets distorted in the way you see it in your picture.
To solve this, just start the game in the same resolution as the desktop resolution, or change the desktop resolution to match the resolution you start your game in.
As you came from a monitor with 1280x1024 resolution you probably still start games in 1280x1024, while the desktop runs in 1920x1080.
One of the two needs to be adjusted.
meveric

Unread postby ExarKunIv » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:32 pm

yep changing the res on the desktop seemed to work just fine with all games.
guess i need to get this hooked up to a 1080p tv and test.

now my volume control is not working. i have sound but no way to control it. what the $#@. i cant win
ExarKunIv

Unread postby meveric » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:39 pm

Yeah volume control might be tricky.. I mainly use the remote of the TV to do that.
But you should be able to do the same if you're using pavucontrol which directly controls the pulseaudio device.
I think the desktop icon uses ALSA and does not affect the system at all.
meveric

Unread postby ExarKunIv » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:50 pm

so weird. it was working just fine now it just comes up saying i dont have the right gstreamer plugin installed or the sound card configured. and the icon says that is is muted, but sound works

and just a side question. can TA3D work on your build. it would be very cool to play Total Annihilation.
for Shi$ts i did install it and it comes up with missing Glibcxx_3.4.21. so im guessing if it can work you have to do some complying or something
ExarKunIv

Unread postby meveric » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:16 pm

TA3D.. yeah that was a real "b*tch" to get to work -.-
It was working at one point in the past although even then it had some issues and crashed every now and then.
I'm kinda terrified to look at it again.. so many different software components that had to be manually compiled and put into the right folder and many other obscure things, like the version you had to use was very specific and such...

I play the original TA over ExaGear where it works mighty fine on the XU3/XU4. viewtopic.php?p=205455#p205455
meveric

Unread postby ExarKunIv » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:40 am

ahh, if it is that bad i can see why one would not want to mess with it
I do want to mess with ExaGear but im cheap and i dont want to pay for a license, but good to know that it plays when i do cave and pay
ExarKunIv

Unread postby Anierin » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:27 am

How do I expand the filesystem after the first boot? I've tried installing this image on several 16gb/32gb emmc and SD cards for the xu4 but can't update or do pretty much anything since it thinks I'm out of space
Anierin

ODROIDs: Xu4

Unread postby meveric » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:54 am

ExarKunIv wrote:ahh, if it is that bad i can see why one would not want to mess with it
I do want to mess with ExaGear but im cheap and i dont want to pay for a license, but good to know that it plays when i do cave and pay

There is a trail version available in my repositories that can be installed.. it's running for 3 days, and you can check out if it's worth buying.
Since it''s only running for 3 days, you should make them count, like a weekend or something like that.
Installation can sometimes be painfully long, but there's quite a lot of stuff that is working very good.
I have dozens of games running on it.. mostly from GoG and it's really amazing how good they work.

Anierin wrote:How do I expand the filesystem after the first boot? I've tried installing this image on several 16gb/32gb emmc and SD cards for the xu4 but can't update or do pretty much anything since it thinks I'm out of space

The system should do an auto-resize of the root filesystem... but it takes a little bit on the first time, you might have to wait 2-3 minutes until it reboots the first time.
After it rebooted automatically you should have full disk space available. So just sit back and wait until it reboots the first time.
Also make sure you only have ONE device connected at a time, either eMMC or SD, not both at the same time, as it might try to resize the wrong device.
meveric

Unread postby BadPritt » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:00 pm

Some bugs and problems with GameStation Turbo on the XU-4

Hello, for a new Youtube video I`m doing a lot of tests with the XU4 to test the desktop capabilities and I found a few problems I would like to inform you on.

1. After update/upgrade there are unmet dependencies with moonlight-embedded
2. After using `Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo` for changing the user name/password, GameStation starts doing weird stuff. It logs the user out a lot. When logging back in you don`t see the original desktop but the standard Debian desktop. Sometimes you can`t login anymore. It shows the desktop for a second and goes back to the login screen. I tried this multiple times with reinstalls and always the same result. When I use passwd there`s no problem.
3. The XU4 sometimes crashes when clicking on the fullscreen button in Youtube in Chromium
4. 1080p video sometimes reloads the buffering, or buffers while the buffer is full.(this is so with almost all SBC`s)
5. Wifi doesn`t connect automatically on startup

When I`ll find more things like this I`ll add it to this list.

I`m also going to make a video about Linux games on the XU4. This is a list of games I like, if anyone has more good tips, please let me know.
Armagetron <- 3d Tron game ****
Astromenace <- Space invader like game ***
Hurrican <- Duke Nukem I/II style game *****
Neverball <- Balance a ball and pick up coins ****
Neverputt <- Mini golf game ***
GL117 <- flight Simulator ***
Frogatto <- 2d adventure with a frog ***
OpenArena <- Quake clone *****
SuperTuxKart <- Mario Kart clone ****
SDLPoP <- Prince of Percia *****

Thank you, greetings.
NicoD
BadPritt

languages_spoken: english dutch french spanish german
ODROIDs: Odroid C2
Odroid XU4Q

Unread postby meveric » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:21 am

BadPritt wrote:1. After update/upgrade there are unmet dependencies with moonlight-embedded

Well they are not unmet, but they are actually in a different repository.
The new moonlight-embedded, requires libssl in version 1.0.2 or higher but by default Debian Jessie only comes with version 1.0.1.
BUT the jessie-backports from Debian does have this library in the correct version.
So you have to update moonlight-embedded like this:
apt-get install -t jessie-backports moonlight-embedded

BadPritt wrote:2. After using `Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo` for changing the user name/password, GameStation starts doing weird stuff. It logs the user out a lot. When logging back in you don`t see the original desktop but the standard Debian desktop. Sometimes you can`t login anymore. It shows the desktop for a second and goes back to the login screen. I tried this multiple times with reinstalls and always the same result. When I use passwd there`s no problem.

Yes that feature is not really good. As a currently connected user can not be renamed, etc. you have to log out the user and do certain tasks as root, it also requires a reboot and such.
Generally this feature doesn't work perfectly and I should probably remove it all together, as there are so many components that need to be touched, that it is very hard to keep track of it.

BadPritt wrote:3. The XU4 sometimes crashes when clicking on the fullscreen button in Youtube in Chromium

Yes, sadly that's a known issue. The XU3/XU4 were very unstable when it first came out, and although there were a lot of patches that fixed most issues it's still not 100% stable.
This also happens with other fullscreen applications, and even sometimes just starting something on the desktop.
Sadly it's nothing I can fix. I think this might be better on Kernel 4.14 but Kernel 4.14 has other drawbacks.
BadPritt wrote:4. 1080p video sometimes reloads the buffering, or buffers while the buffer is full.(this is so with almost all SBC`s)

Yes this is when CPU is at 100% the system holds video, as the browser is doing only software decoding.
Generally the system is not fit to run 1080p videos in browser with software decoding. Using pepperflash as a plugin for Chromium and also a browser extension, that blocks HTML5 videos on youtube (forcing flash) does give better results and performance, but once again it's software decoding and not perfect.

BadPritt wrote:5. Wifi doesn`t connect automatically on startup

It does if you delete the gnome keyring and create a new one WITHOUT password.
The problem is, that the user "odroid" logs in automatically, for this the gnome keyring is NOT unlocked, as you never entered your password, but since all passwords are stored encrypted in the gnome keyring files, you need the password to unlock them -> no auto connect to WLAN since it requires your password
But if you remove the password completely and store passwords in "clear text" in the keystore files it works on auto logon as well.
Another way would to remove the auto login feature of the user "odroid" and login each time you restart manually, it would also work.

BadPritt wrote:When I`ll find more things like this I`ll add it to this list.

That's good, please let me know, I don't get feedback that often, and there are a lot of things that just require the right tweaking to get it to work properly.
So better ask and I can tell you how, that way you can get a much better overall experience :)
It's actually nice for a change that a content provider actually communicates with the "community" or the developer behind an image before creating a video, there are a lot of misunderstandings and most content provider just label it under "this does not work" while they often simply don't know the correct command or do something wrong, so yes this is really a nice change ;)
I wished more content provider on YouTube would do that instead of making false statements in their videos.

BadPritt wrote:I`m also going to make a video about Linux games on the XU4. This is a list of games I like, if anyone has more good tips, please let me know.
Armagetron <- 3d Tron game ****
Astromenace <- Space invader like game ***
Hurrican <- Duke Nukem I/II style game *****

Hurrican is a Turrican clone (check that on youtube... very well known from Amiga :D)

Your games are "ok" but definitely not the games that shine on the ODROID :)

Let me give you some examples of good really good games:
Jedi Knight 3 - Jedi Academy - Love this game, nice and fast 3D graphics looks really good on the ODROID there's also Jedi Knight 2 - Jedi Outcast on the ODROID, but I still need to make some packages for that ;)
H-Craft - A Hover Craft racing game, we talked to the developer and were able to find an agreement how we could use the game for ODROIDs :)
Eduke32 - Duke Nukem 3D Clone (even supports 3D models instead of sprites)
Aquaria - This game is "awesome" the music the setting, very relaxing and very nice visuals, the game (game data) is often very cheap to get on gog.com
World of Padman - Quake 3 Engine fighting game where you play as cockroaches
Arx Liberatis - Arx Fatalis remake
Jagged Alliance 2 (Stracciatella) - Jagget Aliance 2 clone with high resolution support and other goodies (Just saw I need to do an update on that as well :D)
FreeSpace 1 + 2 - Rebuild of FreeSpace 1 + 2 for ARM and OpenGL ES (original version with original limitations 640x480 and 1024x768 only) - there is a plan to support a FreeSpace 2 Open Source Project later as well
Shadow Warrior - similar to Eduke32
UFO - Alien Invation - UFO - Enemy Unknown opensource remake in 3D.
RVGL - ReVolt Clone, actually closed source project, but I was allowed to port it to ODROID.
Doom3 - Yes for real.. DOOM 3 the original version :D
Xash3D - Half Life remake
Homeworld - Homeworld ported to ARM and using OpenGL ES.. very impressive
yquake2 - Quake 2 + Expension packs
Just adding more links, just check them out:
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=4206
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=5935
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=1356
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=4351
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=19962
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=16984
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=4477
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=243
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=26881
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=6595
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=20928
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=28962
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=9918
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=1635
meveric

Unread postby BadPritt » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:37 am

Hi again. Thank you for all the tips.
With solution one I had this
odroid@gamestation-turbo:~$ sudo apt-get install -t jessie-backports moonlight-embedded
[sudo] password for odroid:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 moonlight-embedded : Depends: libavcodec57 (>= 7:3.4) but 7:3.2.10-1~deb9u1~bpo8+1 is to be installed or
                               libavcodec-extra57 (>= 7:3.4) but it is not going to be installed
                      Depends: libavutil55 (>= 7:3.4) but 7:3.2.10-1~deb9u1~bpo8+1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Then I tried with aptitude instead, first two choices No and 3th yes.
odroid@gamestation-turbo:~$ sudo aptitude install -t jessie-backports moonlight-embedded
The following packages will be upgraded:
  moonlight-embedded{b}
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 159 not upgraded.
Need to get 122 kB of archives. After unpacking 88.1 kB will be freed.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 moonlight-embedded : Depends: libavcodec57 (>= 7:3.4) but it is not going to be installed. or
                               libavcodec-extra57 (>= 7:3.4) but it is not going to be installed.
                      Depends: libavutil55 (>= 7:3.4) but it is not going to be installed.
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:
1)     moonlight-embedded         

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n

Keep the following packages at their current version:
1)     moonlight-embedded [2.2.3-5+deb8 (now)]           

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n

Install the following packages:                                         
1)     libavcodec57 [7:3.4-3~bpo8u1 (<NULL>)]                               
2)     libavutil55 [7:3.4-3~bpo8u1 (<NULL>)]                                 
3)     libopenjp2-7 [2.1.0-2+deb8u3+b1 (now, oldstable)]                     
4)     libswresample2 [7:3.4-3~bpo8u1 (<NULL>)]                             
5)     libvpx4 [1.6.1-2~bpo8+1 (jessie-backports)]                           
6)     libx264-148 [2:0.148.2748+git97eaef2-1~bpo8+1 (jessie-backports, now)]
7)     libx265-87 [2.0-4~bpo8+1 (jessie-backports)]                         

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] y
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libavcodec57{a} libavutil55{a} libopenjp2-7{a} libswresample2{a} libvpx4{a} libx264-148{a} libx265-87{a}
The following packages will be upgraded:
  moonlight-embedded
1 packages upgraded, 7 newly installed, 0 to remove and 159 not upgraded.
Need to get 597 kB/6,314 kB of archives. After unpacking 14.0 MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
Get: 1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports/main libx265-87 armhf 2.0-4~bpo8+1 [475 kB]
Get: 2 https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/ jessie/main moonlight-embedded armhf 2.4.6-1+deb8 [122 kB]
Fetched 597 kB in 1s (360 kB/s)             
Selecting previously unselected package libx264-148:armhf.
(Reading database ... 284323 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libx264-148_2%3a0.148.2748+git97eaef2-1~bpo8+1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libx264-148:armhf (2:0.148.2748+git97eaef2-1~bpo8+1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libopenjp2-7:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../libopenjp2-7_2.1.0-2+deb8u3+b1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libopenjp2-7:armhf (2.1.0-2+deb8u3+b1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libavutil55:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../libavutil55_7%3a3.4-3~bpo8u1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libavutil55:armhf (7:3.4-3~bpo8u1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libswresample2:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../libswresample2_7%3a3.4-3~bpo8u1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libswresample2:armhf (7:3.4-3~bpo8u1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libvpx4:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../libvpx4_1.6.1-2~bpo8+1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libvpx4:armhf (1.6.1-2~bpo8+1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libx265-87:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../libx265-87_2.0-4~bpo8+1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libx265-87:armhf (2.0-4~bpo8+1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libavcodec57:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../libavcodec57_7%3a3.4-3~bpo8u1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libavcodec57:armhf (7:3.4-3~bpo8u1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../moonlight-embedded_2.4.6-1+deb8_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking moonlight-embedded (2.4.6-1+deb8) over (2.2.3-5+deb8) ...
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/etc/moonlight': Directory not empty
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u10) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.58) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1) ...
Setting up libx264-148:armhf (2:0.148.2748+git97eaef2-1~bpo8+1) ...
Setting up libopenjp2-7:armhf (2.1.0-2+deb8u3+b1) ...
Setting up libavutil55:armhf (7:3.4-3~bpo8u1) ...
Setting up libswresample2:armhf (7:3.4-3~bpo8u1) ...
Setting up libvpx4:armhf (1.6.1-2~bpo8+1) ...
Setting up libx265-87:armhf (2.0-4~bpo8+1) ...
Setting up libavcodec57:armhf (7:3.4-3~bpo8u1) ...
Setting up moonlight-embedded (2.4.6-1+deb8) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u10) ...

Current status: 159 updates [-1].
odroid@gamestation-turbo:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
odroid@gamestation-turbo:~$

I make videos because I like it, and because I hate all those unboxing videos about SBC`s where they know nothing about it and make all falls claims. I also have a lot more time to do my research. And I know that SBC`s are not plug-and-play. You have to ask and do research to get everything to work perfect. And that`s what I like about it.

I`ll check out as many games as possible, thank you for the list.
Have a nice day.
NicoD
BadPritt

Odroid XU4Q

Unread postby meveric » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:23 am

Aptitude was a good idea. As it requires packages from different repositories, that helps a lot :)

I'm gald there are people like you that actually use the images and try to figure things out rather than just labeling it as "doesn't work".
meveric

Unread postby ExarKunIv » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:33 am

so it is time to mess with getting saturn, jaguar working. so far nothing on both.
with yabause it kinda starts, but all i get is a black screen. if i slide the screen size around i can see little bit of the loading screen, yes i have a bios in the rom folder
and for jaguar all i get is a color static screen, again i have a bios in the rom folder.

did get gamecube to start, but laggy :) but i got it to start. are there any games that will even play fast enough to enjoy?

i tryed Arx Liberatis but it would never start. did what the launcher but it would never work. had problems downloading the patch or something
ExarKunIv

Unread postby meveric » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:47 am

ExarKunIv wrote:so it is time to mess with getting saturn, jaguar working. so far nothing on both.

Both hard systems to emulate, but "possible"
ExarKunIv wrote:with yabause it kinda starts, but all i get is a black screen. if i slide the screen size around i can see little bit of the loading screen, yes i have a bios in the rom folder

You saying "if i slide the screen size around" already tells me you're doing something wrong.
By default this should be started in fullscreen and you don't have anything to slide around :)
If you don't start it via Rom Collection Browser or EmulationStation use the "yabause-xbmc" command and point it to an image file, for example:
yabause-xbmc ROMS/SEGA/Saturn/Elevator_Action_Returns.cue

ExarKunIv wrote:and for jaguar all i get is a color static screen, again i have a bios in the rom folder.

once again use jaguar-xbmc to start a ROM file, it should take care of most things you need here, although I sometimes have issues with this.
I think it's picky how you pass the path of the ROM.. Could be that you need to pass the full path to make it work.

ExarKunIv wrote:did get gamecube to start, but laggy :) but i got it to start. are there any games that will even play fast enough to enjoy?

umm 2D is working fine.. I have a collection for Sonic, the 2D versions are working full speed :D
In other words, forget about it, the dynamic recompiler is not working very good.. they made it that only 64bit processors are officially supported.
I have to try finding a very old version that still has armhf support.. so generally for now the answer is no it's not really usable.

ExarKunIv wrote:i tryed Arx Liberatis but it would never start. did what the launcher but it would never work. had problems downloading the patch or something

Hmm I tried it already and played it. Was working fine. I suggest using the GoG version of the game which is already patched. You only need the setup_arx_fatalis_2.0.0.7.exe file and can extract everything from there.
Make sure you have innoextract installed which is needed to extract the files from the .exe file.
meveric

Unread postby ExarKunIv » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:03 am

thanks for all the info

got arx to work nicely
got jaguar to work. controls are messed up, but i did not look in to fixing that. just started a game :)
dreamcast is working :)
still having a problem with saturn i used kodi to launch it, it mounts the disk and trys to play it as a audio cd. and then Yabause says it cant initialize
the games are in .cue and .mdf. that should work
ExarKunIv

Unread postby meveric » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:41 am

not every game for Sega Saturn works, I found probably about 50% of all games work.
But if you already see the audio player that means at least the emulator should be working.
If you tell me the games that you tried, I can check on my system if it works there.. then at least we know if it's the game or something else.
meveric

Unread postby BadPritt » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:59 am

Hello again.
Here is my video on the desktop experience with the Odroid XU4 + Linux games
All with GameStation Turbo.
Thank you for all the help Meveric. Greetings, NicoD
BadPritt

Odroid XU4Q

Unread postby crashoverride » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:53 pm

BadPritt wrote:Here is my video

I like the blue heatsink that has little brass heatsinks.
crashoverride

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby BadPritt » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:27 am

I like the blue heatsink that has little brass heatsinks.

Every little bit helps. :D
It doesn`t help to lower the max temperature, but it takes a bit longer before it reaches the max temp with them. You can never have a too big heatsink. That`s why I love the Odroid C2 so much.
Cheers
BadPritt

Odroid XU4Q

Unread postby AreaScout » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:09 pm

@BadPritt

Nice Video, thank you for that ! :)
AreaScout

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: X2, U3, XU3, C2, XU4Q