BIOS design using PETITBOOT to support SPI booting

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Re: BIOS design using PETITBOOT to support SPI booting

Unread postby joy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:55 am

Hi phaseshifter,
Actually, I don't think all components (including kernel build, copy uInitrd.igz to vfat file system) should be implemented automatically at this stage,
because end users don't need to follow this build routines once all features based on final user scenario are completed.
Pre-built kernel image only for bios and uIinitrd.igz will be built in spi flash.
It's possible it can be updated later, but very rarely.

I think the uInitrd packaging sequence should be ready as auto config to maintain the sequence and and share/discuss this idea with you.
But not all operations, I think. :)
Did I understand what you're asking?...

And about wiki page, sorry for many typo errors. :(
Still I'm keeping modifying scenario and fixing/improving the whole sequence.... many updates.
I will update the wiki page middle of next week and examine it very carefully.
joy

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID-C1+, XU4, X

Unread postby phaseshifter » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:07 pm

ok um...i am basically wondering where the autoconfig scrypt finishes i guess

..because as i re-edited my post not shure if you have re read it...did it not make correct sense to you...

Hmm..because i thought that after the auto script..next to do...is the kernel build process...and the uInitrd.igz had been copied..

because it was not for me on many installs i have done..

it may be an issue in his script i am not shure..but uIntrd.igz was definitely not in my /media/boot directory..at all..
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!
phaseshifter

ODROIDs: N-1..c1+ ..c-2..xu3 lite,xu4...u-3..
u-2...other odroid acc`s as well

Unread postby joy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:35 pm

phaseshifter wrote:ok um...i am basically wondering where the autoconfig scrypt finishes i guess

..because as i re-edited my post not shure if you have re read it...did it not make correct sense to you...

Hmm..because i thought that after the auto script..next to do...is the kernel build process...and the uInitrd.igz had been copied..

because it was not for me on many installs i have done..

it may be an issue in his script i am not shure..but uIntrd.igz was definitely not in my /media/boot directory..at all..

I see. I understand now. :)
I will update wiki page and auto script as your opinion next week.
joy

ODROIDs: ODROID-C1+, XU4, X

Unread postby phaseshifter » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:36 am

also i would like to add..
The modding of the boot.ini file need`s to be done after
the auto build script has been done
or
directly
after the kernel build has been done..
not exactly shure which order is correct for the boot.ini modding..i think after either is acceptable
if you do a reboot after any of the above steps
but before the modding of the boot.ini file.... it will not boot to a p-boot screen...

you cannot expect it to boot up into the p-boot menu before this has been done

also i would like to add if you have the uart kit connected to monitor the p-boot at the serial line
it will just boot to a blank screen for some reason and the putty window will either stop at a blank screen or ..freeing kernel memory
this needs to be disconnected to allow it to boot to the p-boot screen don't know why this is happening.

i have to do another build after discovering what i found in my prior 2 posts...
i know joy has to add a lot of changes..so i may wait till next week.. after he revamps the wiki page....

and your modding of the "kexec.conf" needs to be looked at being done
before a reboot of the above steps as well
because you lose your putty window to enable any further modding that you need to do...still the putty window issue is a problem...

So therefore the ordering need`s to be addressed here...

EDIT: ... sorry my bad the wiki guide of the h-k official was what i was referring to when i talked about the "ordering"...joy`s thread topic shows the correct ordering..as far as modding the boot file..etc...
the auto-build page needs to include the boot modding..etc.
.the manual build shows some modding but not enough.
.i guess he is still at work with his notes.etc.etc..
.i expect he is aware of the issues although i thought i`d share some opinion on the subject..
.lot`s of stress in my world cannot do any thing much atm...everything is packed trying to move place and my health has gone to crap..yet i forge ahead...life goes on...
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!
phaseshifter

ODROIDs: N-1..c1+ ..c-2..xu3 lite,xu4...u-3..
u-2...other odroid acc`s as well

Previous

Return to Projects