Console stopped working...

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Console stopped working...

Unread postby KJM » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi all, I have a peculiar problem which I hope is not a hardware death.

Have an N1 with 2x 2.5" disks, booted from an SD card. It was all working just fine. Running the Debian image, with the change to the boot.ini file to permit it to find the rootfs :D .

I let Debian perform an update, rebooted, and it was all fine. I then moved the device to it's permanent location; re-powered and.. nothing. I get the blue heartbeat, but no network etc. So I brought it back to the bench and plugged in the serial console again. It clearly boots up, but zero output on the console. So I tried netconsole, but I also get nothing.

Any suggestions for a next step? It was just so perfectly well working!!!

Cheers
/Kevin
KJM

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: xu4,C2,N1

Re: Console stopped working...

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:12 pm

Can you run a fsck on the sd card? And also try with a new image flashed to it?
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby rooted » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:04 pm

Try a different network cable? Unlikely but still would check. What is the status of the LAN lights?

If you have another SD card try a fresh image.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby KJM » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:38 pm

Thanks for the suggestions... I found myself back in the early 1980's debugging mode :o But instead of swapping EPROMs I was swapping SD cards...

The short answer is that I have the NAS running, the reason it was not coming up was my fault - I just duplicated the mount for the filesystem in /etc/fstab and changed the mount point and device to point to my two disks. Completely forgetting to modify the pass#! OOPS. I've been a Unix person since 1979, so that is unforgiveable..

The UART, on the other hand, remains stubbornly "dead". The CRO shows nothing on the pins. Definitely dead. Which is really peculiar - it seems to have died spontaneously. I would try to see if the pin on the chip is still functioning, but my CRO probes aren't really designed for modern pin spacing. Nor are my eyes!

The circuit diagram shows the track basically going to the tiny Molex connector without any other thing in the way, so I'd assume the problem lies with the chip. Which is NOT a good thing.

The N1 is deployed as a home NAS - and it performs brilliantly. Kudos to Hardkernel - works well. Pretty low power, and performs amazingly well.

/Kevin
KJM

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:55 pm

You can test your uart adapter in loopback mode (short its rx with tx) and you should have characters you type echoed in your terminal.
mad_ady

Unread postby KJM » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:24 pm

Well yes - I can check it that way (N1 console), but it involves removing it from the box it is happily running in... :roll: The USB/Serial adaptor I have already had a play with and it most certainly works.
I most certainly will give that a go when I next need to fiddle with it. Right now I'm concentrating on getting the C2 up with the delightful Manga Screen 2 I have.. The N1 is the NAS and media server, and the C2 will be the audio control widget and feed the DAC. Getting that running is more of a concern right now.

But I do believe the UART is in fact quite dead. The Rockchip pin drivers look like they might not be all that robust...

Cheers
/Kevin
KJM

Unread postby mad_ady » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:09 pm

Another way to workaround the problem is to enable the second uart on the 40 pin header as system console. You'd need to change boot.ini and have console load the other uart and you'd need to recompile uboot to use the other port. I think the HK uart adapter can be used safely with the gpio pins
mad_ady

Unread postby KJM » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:28 pm

MANY THANKS! I hadn't thought of plumbing that out..

My N1 is living in a room I tend to not go into, so my plan was to make an ESP8266 plug in to serve the serial console. So much more comfortable for me! So now I can proceed again, just with different pins on the 40 pin header ;) I probably don't need the U-boot messages, so no need to build a different U-boot. Yet :o

I do wish I knew why the console port died though.

Thanks again. Amazing how sometimes you don't see the obvious!
/Kevin
KJM

Unread postby mad_ady » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:22 pm

If you're going to interface it directly with the ESP, make sure to use voltage divider to keep voltages in the 3V range on the N1.
mad_ady

Return to Issues