Lubuntu 13.10 Code Monkey for ODROID-X2 (20140101)

robroy
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Lubuntu 13.10 Code Monkey for ODROID-X2 (20140101)

Unread post by robroy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:45 pm

I created an Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander image, forked from the official XFCE Hard Kernel release, with a core suite of applications for web and application development.

Download the image here:
13.10 Saucy Salamander: http://oph.mdrjr.net/robroyhall/images/ ... 101.img.xz
13.04 Raring Ringtail: http://oph.mdrjr.net/robroyhall/images/ ... 101.img.xz

European mirror by @traxo:
http://odroid.txmonitor.de/

Want to upgrade your existing Code Monkey image?
Kernel updates: http://builder.mdrjr.net/tools/kernel-update.sh

Username: odroid
Password: odroid

Username: root
Password: odroid

Applications: Firefox, Chromium, Xine, Gimp, Transmission, Filezilla, Oracle JDK 8, Tomcat, MySQL, Apache 2, JRuby, PHP 5, QT 5, Arduino, Scratch, Squeak, Git, Subversion, Android Debug Bridge (ADB) and Putty.

Development Environments: Bluefish, CodeBlocks IDE, CodeLite, Geany, Monkey Studio IDE, Netbeans IDE and Ninja IDE.

Autologin is enabled and boots directly to a single-user Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment (LXDE) running Metacity and Xfce desktop.

If you enjoy my contributions to the Hard Kernel community, please consider donating an amount of your choice via the link in my signature.

Customizations left for you upon burning the image to your card:
  • 1. Resize the "rootfs" partition to fit your SD card. This is best done on another Linux system using the GParted utility.
    2. Set your time zone using "sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata", or press the Up arrow in the LXTerminal window on first boot.
    3. Set your language using Preferences -> Language Support.
Improvements and upgrades:
  • 1. To overclock to 1.92GHz, type "sudo gedit /etc/rc.local" in Terminal and remove the "#" from the beginning of the line that starts with "echo 1920000".
    2. Firefox has the IcedTea7 plugin installed for Java browser applets. Both Chromium and Firefox have the Adblock Plus add-on. The default browser is Firefox running Firebug.
    3. All upgrades and updates have been run using aptitude, apt-get and synaptic.
    4. All orphaned and obsolete packages have been purged, including the original kernel.
    5. Lots of quality-of-life tweaks, such as setting folder preferences to List View, removing the Battery icon from the Status bar, setting the Chromium and Firefox preferences to their highest privacy settings, and installing wallpapers (/usr/share/wallpapers).
Features in this release: Notes:
Last edited by robroy on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:11 am, edited 11 times in total.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

roker002
languages_spoken: english, german, japanese, russian
ODROIDs: X, X2

Re: Lubuntu 13.04 Code Monkey for ODROID-X2 (20131007)

Unread post by roker002 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:31 am

Nice, that what i need.
BTW, mono is installed, but where is IDE? Earlier images could not support MonoDevelop, since it always crashed. I dont remember that one of the given IDE are support C# syntax or projects.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:15 am

roker002 wrote:Nice, that what i need.
:D :D :D
BTW, mono is installed, but where is IDE? Earlier images could not support MonoDevelop, since it always crashed. I dont remember that one of the given IDE are support C# syntax or projects.
Let's both try adding MonoDevelop to the image and see if it's stable. I disabled the Mali drivers which can cause instability in some development environments, so Mono might work better on this optimized image.

EDIT: Mono has graphical issues which prevent editing of files. It does, however, compile projects into a .DLL. So, I may uninstall the environment and keep the compiler.

If you find a way to run Mono using this image, please post back and I will incorporate it into a future release.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

roker002

Unread post by roker002 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:25 am

Hm, maybe I'll try with Qt :P
My main language is C# but already used C++.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:49 am

roker002 wrote:Hm, maybe I'll try with Qt :P
My main language is C# but already used C++.
I wrote in C# for many years, but now i write in Ruby and Angular since I moved to the Odroid platform.

IMO, it's probably a good thing to keep Microsoft separated from the ARM world ;)

I plan to remove the Mono library in the next release, since the Odroid is more suited to the LAMP stack.

roker002

Unread post by roker002 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:09 am

Hm, kinda buggy if i logout and try to login. There is message: "currently logged in" but no further steps.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:43 am

roker002 wrote:Hm, kinda buggy if i logout and try to login. There is message: "currently logged in" but no further steps.
I think you need to disable autologin in gdm.conf in order to be able to launch a new session. Please let me know if you discover another workaround.

As an alternative, rebooting only takes 11-14 seconds :P

robroy

Re: Lubuntu 13.04 Code Monkey for ODROID-X2 (20131020)

Unread post by robroy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:07 am

New features in this release:
  • 1. Installed Vino and Vinagre VNC remote desktop server and client (more here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=266981)
    2. Installed Thunar file manager which supports drag-n-drop, Samba shares, and Git/Subversion right-click commands
    3. Installed XF desktop as an alternative to PCManFM
    4. Added Terminal to Application Launch Bar and replaced PCManFM with Thunar
    5. Changed icon theme to Ubuntu Studio to support a wider array of icons
    6. Installed Gnome System Tools to facilitate management of Users and Groups
    7. Removed Mono libraries due to instability
Enjoy!

Want to upgrade your existing Code Monkey image?
PCManFM does not support network shares, drag-n-drop or Subversion, and replacing it with Thunar restores those functions. More here under "LXDE/XFCE hybrid": http://askubuntu.com/questions/73017/th ... -11-10-how.

1. Install the new packages:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install vino vinagre gnome-system-tools ubuntu-studio-icon-theme thunar thunar-media-tags-plugin thunar-archive-plugin thunar-vcs-plugin file-roller xfdesktop4 xfce-terminal
2. Right-click the bottom Panel and select "Panel Settings", then change the default file manager to "thunar %s" from "pcmanfm %s".

3. Right-click the Application Launcher and select "Application Launcher Settings", then add Terminal Emulator and File Manager to the Launcher after removing PCManFM.

4. Edit the file "~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart" and add an exclamation point "!" to the beginning of the line that starts with "@pcmanfm".

5. Add a file called "xfdesktop.desktop" to the directory "~/.config/autostart" with the following contents and reboot:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Exec=xfdesktop
Icon=help-contents
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
Categories=Utility;X-XFCE;X-Xfce-Toplevel;
Name=XFCE Desktop Manager
Comment=XFCE Desktop Manager
6. Using the Settings -> Customize Look and Feel application, change the icon theme to Ubuntu Studio.

7. Using Synaptic Package Manager, uninstall the Mono .NET development packages and all of their dependencies by searching for "mono" in the "Installed" section.

einstein
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: ODroid-X2

Unread post by einstein » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:22 am

Hello Rob,

would you be willing to include the eric5 IDE in your Code Monkey image (http://eric-ide.python-projects.org). It needs Python3, Qt4 and PyQt4 which should not be an issue on the Odroid. It works for me over here (until my Odroid quit cooperation after an update attempt. But that's another story).

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:48 am

einstein wrote:Hello Rob,

would you be willing to include the eric5 IDE in your Code Monkey image (http://eric-ide.python-projects.org). It needs Python3, Qt4 and PyQt4 which should not be an issue on the Odroid. It works for me over here (until my Odroid quit cooperation after an update attempt. But that's another story).
Thank you for the recommendation!

I included all of the major IDEs from the main Ubuntu repository, but specifically didn't include third-party (non-PPA) programs because they can't automatically update through the normal distribution channels, and users who download it a few months from now may not necessarily know from website from which to download the new version. For instance, Netbeans 7.3.1 is available on the x86 repositories, but is not yet stable for the ARM architecture. So 7.0.1 is in the ARM repository because it's the most stable. Code Monkey is also a big image, and I have to be particular to size of the build in order to prevent bloat.

If you think it's worth everyone using, I recommend submitting a request to the Eric IDE developer(s) to have their source added to the Ubuntu repositories, which allows them to issue updates worldwide through Ubuntu Software Center. This way, if Eric IDE is included in a future release, it will receive updates along with the rest of the software on the image.

In the meantime, I am willing to add a link to any How-To that you might want to write from personal experience, as to how to install Eric IDE (and its dependencies) onto the image. Since I haven't used it yet, what can you tell me about Eric IDE that you find appealing?

robroy

Re: Lubuntu 13.10 Code Monkey for ODROID-X2 (20131201)

Unread post by robroy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:26 am

New features in this release:
  • Upgraded to Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander
Enjoy!

robroy

Re: Lubuntu 13.10 Code Monkey for ODROID-X2 (20140101)

Unread post by robroy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:51 am

New features:
  • Uninstalled irqbalance and zram-config utilities due to buggy behavior
    Installed xfce4-screenshooter
Enjoy!

Return to “Ubuntu”