Wish list from joe blogs

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Wish list from joe blogs

Unread postby oldchap » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:00 pm

My too kangaroo pesos worth
I have read on here that the fast samsung chips dont support HDMI. Would there be available a separate 'chip' to put on the board to make HDMI work with a samsung chip. The speed bump with a rockchip just not enough, going back to a 2 core 'main' chip is almost a regression. $20 for the chip, not much of a chip.
Seeing that you will include sata drives, there is no need for emmc connection, put the money you save into the more expensive sata interface I have read about on here.
As a average user I have never heard of emmc or seen the cards in a computer shop.
Would you be able to get sata cables only 5 inches long made for the N1.
Do away with the piddley micro sd card and replace it with a SD slot, stand it on its side if you say there is not enough room, the xu4 has the usb2 standing on its side.
Is the insidious flashing blue light going to be changed to a blue light showing hard drive activity like on a real computer. I turn my xu4 away from me so I dont see the flashing going all the time. I would rather have a light showing hard drive activity so I can see if something going on when it should not be going on when I am on the net.
I dont have a problem with $110, more if the chip was faster. At the moment the speed bump is not high enough.
oldchap

languages_spoken: english

Re: Wish list from joe blogs

Unread postby elatllat » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:13 pm

Linux support for all other SOCs is garbage, and they (likely) cost more due to included modems etc typically not used on SBCs.

emmc is better than sd due to ssd like features (trim, wear leveling, etc), booting from ssd has not yet been achieved on the N1, and costs more due to the SPI Boot flash.

micro sd cards are more reliable than SD slots with adapters for micro sd cards (learned from rpi), which are popular in phones.

you can make the blue light do whatever you want with /sys/class/leds/blue:heartbeat like just turn it off;
Code: Select all
/bin/echo -n none > /sys/class/leds/blue\:heartbeat/trigger
elatllat

ODROIDs: XU4, N1

Unread postby rooted » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:18 am

elatllat wrote:micro sd cards are more reliable than SD slots with adapters for micro sd cards (learned from rpi), which are popular in phones.

Not to say actual SD cards are less reliable, just that people will certainly use micro SD adapters which are usually not good.

oldchap wrote:Is the insidious flashing blue light going to be changed to a blue light showing hard drive activity like on a real computer. I turn my xu4 away from me so I dont see the flashing going all the time. I would rather have a light showing hard drive activity so I can see if something going on when it should not be going on when I am on the net.

Want to blink the LED with hard drive activity:

*note (needs sysstat package installed)

#!/bin/bash
iostat -z -d 3 sda | sed -u -e '1d' -e 's/Device.*/none/' -e 's/sd.*/heartbeat/' -e '/^$/d' > /sys/class/leds/blue\[emoji813]beat/trigger &

I will post about this elsewhere and it can be added to the wiki.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:58 am

In addition to the blue LED that can be configured, there is also a red SATA activity LED.
crashoverride

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby rooted » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:05 am

crashoverride wrote:In addition to the blue LED that can be configured, there is also a red SATA activity LED.
I was just speaking on the current generation hardware, I didn't know that about the N1 since all my drives are tied up.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby elatllat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:32 am

rooted wrote:emoji813

lol
elatllat

Unread postby ASword » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:16 am

I actually prefer having the eMMC as the primary OS device because it can just stay where it is and the OS is untouched. SATA devices are more naturally swapped / replaced and can be had in much larger sizes, so they seem better suited to data storage. Ideally I'll never use the SD card slot, but it costs so little to have there and it might be convenient since they are cheap and tend to be lying around when you need them.

As for the 2+4 cores... sure 4+4 would be more compute, but the six are still a performance upgrade from the eight in the XU4 series plus they're ARMv8 and the board has 4GB RAM. That's a substantial enough win for me, even before I contemplate the GPU.
ASword

ODROIDs: XU4, HC1

Unread postby oldchap » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:58 am

elatllat
emmc is better than sd due to ssd like features (trim, wear leveling, etc), booting from ssd has not yet been achieved on the N1, and costs more due to the SPI Boot flash.

emmc is better than sd due to ssd like features
just stick to the SSD, dont need 2 interfaces whatever with the same features.

and costs more due to the SPI Boot flash
seems like I have to read up on SPI boot flash, its name suggests it might be a place to put files to boot a SSD, seeing that it is on the board already and needed, leave it there.

micro sd cards are more reliable than SD slots with adapters for micro sd cards (learned from rpi), which are popular in phones.
if I had a SD slot on my xu4 I would not be using an adapter for micro sd cards in it, I want the micro sd card to go and never come back. and its adapter My xu4 is not a phone

rooted
I went to install 'sysstat' and it did not work, told me to do a 'sudo apt-get update', it downloaded some stuff and then bogged down again with what looks as the same error message. Gdebi, synaptic, software updater all broken. Looks like a big 'dd' job on the micro sd card coming soon. But I want to try Diet Pi first, I have a thread in Other Os's but nobody has replied.

E: flAbsPath on /var/lib/dpkg/status failed - realpath (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Problem opening
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Not much joy changing the blue LED
odroid@odroid:~$ #!/bin/bash
odroid@odroid:~$ iostat -z -d 3 sda | sed -u -e '1d' -e 's/Device.*/none/' -e 's/sd.*/heartbeat/' -e '/^$/d' > /sys/class/leds/blue\beat/trigger &
[1] 2654
odroid@odroid:~$ bash: /sys/class/leds/bluebeat/trigger: No such file or directory

rooted
I will post about this elsewhere and it can be added to the wiki.
Good idea, Me thinks I will need something I can just click on.

ASword
Ideally I'll never use the SD card slot,
All new laptops these days have a SD slot, some are sold without a CD drives, everything being saved to solid memory.

That's a substantial enough win for me, even before I contemplate the GPU.
Waiting for when all the bugs are ironed out and new comparison graphs posted.
oldchap

Unread postby elatllat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:39 am

it's blue\:heartbeat not blue\beat
Last edited by elatllat on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
elatllat

Unread postby oldchap » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:42 pm

I did a full reinstall of ubuntu and able to install sysstat.
I think we need to start all over with the command but this time without the [emoji813] bit.

rooted wrote:emoji813 lol

it's blue\:beat not blue\beat

odroid@odroid:~$ iostat -z -d 3 sda | sed -u -e '1d' -e 's/Device.*/none/' -e 's/sd.*/heartbeat/' -e '/^$/d' > /sys/class/leds/blue\:beat/trigger &
[1] 3120
odroid@odroid:~$ bash: /sys/class/leds/blue:beat/trigger: No such file or directory
See how it leaves out the backslash in blue\:beat

In sys/class/leds there is a blue\:heartbeat I dont want to try it, dont want to hose my new install, can I go ahead and change the command line? What should it be

/sys/class/leds/blue\:heartbeat/trigger &

OR /sys/class/leds/blue:heartbeat/trigger &
oldchap

Unread postby oldchap » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:48 pm

Here is why I will not use a eMMC card and do not want it on the Next 1.
They use slow speed memory in the smaller capacity cards so that one has to buy a more expensive card to get the faster speeds and they make it progressive so that if one wants the fastest speed then one has to buy the biggest capacity cards. (is the eMMC consortium owned by microsoft, it might as well be)

New 8GB test on XU4 Ubuntu
New 8GB eMMC Red PCB for XU4 model is based on Essencore/AIO's eMMC 5.0 technology.

Sequential speed with “dd” test
dd write : 15.1 MB/s
dd read : 104 MB/s

Here is the fastest card I could buy from the local smart phone flee market, 25% faster. 16GB $14 US Phnom Penh

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 49.4065 s, 21.7 MB/s
oldchap

Unread postby DarkBahamut » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:24 am

Its due to it being such a small flash chip. An 8GB NAND chip on any recent process is going to be slow due to not being able to use multiple channels or interleave on the controller.

Same thing happens in SSDs where the 128GB sizes are often far slower than the bigger capacities for the same reason.

It's not a conspiracy, it's just how NAND works unfortunately. It requires large parallelisation for speed and small capacities just don't have the raw dies available to do so.
DarkBahamut

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby oldchap » Fri May 04, 2018 2:20 pm

From the wiki on emmc modules

eMMC Read/Write test on ODROID-C2 HS400 mode
8G Write Samsung 45.4 MB/s Toshiba 21.9 MB/s

New 8GB eMMC test on XU4 Ubuntu
New 8GB eMMC Red PCB for XU4 model is based on Essencore/AIO's eMMC 5.0 technology.
Sequential speed with “dd” test
dd write : 15.1 MB/s
dd read : 104 MB/s

So there are faster 8 GB emmc around, but how much one gets stung for them I dont know.
I am following 'joy' to see if he can get SPi boot working for the Next 1 them emmc wont be needed.
Waiting to see what the Next 1 has.
If it has a flashing blue light and a piddley micro SD card instead of a SD card, I wont be buying one.
oldchap

Unread postby oldchap » Fri May 04, 2018 2:23 pm

The flashing blue light.
I had a go at it, this is what I tried.

iostat -z -d 3 sda | sed -u -e '1d' -e 's/Device.*/none/' -e 's/sd.*/heartbeat/' -e '/^$/d' > /sys/class/leds/blue:heartbeat/trigger &

The blue light went off but when I opened firefox it did not show any activity. Rebooted and the blue light is flashing again. End of experiment, waiting to see what the Next 1 has.
If it has a flashing blue light and a piddley micro SD card instead of a SD card, I wont be buying one.
oldchap

Unread postby rooted » Fri May 04, 2018 3:03 pm

oldchap wrote:The flashing blue light.
I had a go at it, this is what I tried.

iostat -z -d 3 sda | sed -u -e '1d' -e 's/Device.*/none/' -e 's/sd.*/heartbeat/' -e '/^$/d' > /sys/class/leds/blue:heartbeat/trigger &

The blue light went off but when I opened firefox it did not show any activity. Rebooted and the blue light is flashing again. End of experiment, waiting to see what the Next 1 has.

That is meant to be put into a file, then chmod +x it, then run it.

The next odroid will almost certainly have a heartbeat, if you don't like it you are free to pursue other devices.

Your limited knowledge seems to cause you undue stress, it shouldn't since these devices can be a great learning experience.

The heartbeat can be easily turned off:

echo none | sudo tee /sys/class/leds/blue:heartbeat/trigger
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby oldchap » Wed May 09, 2018 9:44 pm

Young mr rooted.

That is meant to be put into a file, then chmod +x it, then run it

Why then was I not given that information. Besides I dont know how to 'chmod +x' or 'run' it as I have not been to college and spoon fed coding.

if you don't like it you are free to pursue other devices

No, I didnt steal my xu4 from Hardkernel, I bought it from them. I am asking for a howto to change the flashing blue light to show hard drive activity like any other computer.

Your limited knowledge seems to cause you undue stress

'Limited knowledge' agreed, it not compulsory to have been to coding college to use Hardkernel products.
'undue stress' no, I just think it is ridiculous that the blue light that has the capacity to function as a hard drive activity light is set to blink all the time.

The heartbeat can be easily turned off:
echo none | sudo tee /sys/class/leds/blue:heartbeat/trigger

Nope, just want it to work like a real computer.
oldchap

Unread postby elatllat » Wed May 09, 2018 10:49 pm

I hope it's not to late to teach some old dogs new tricks;
rooted its kindly trying to help for free,
oldchap should put forth some minimal effort to learn how to use the (hugely popular and well documented since the 1970s) software,
or at least show gratitude to those who have made the effort to learn and spend free time to teach others.

Apparently you (oldchap)
dont know how

to spell "don't", or use the "Quote" button yet so please look into that as well.
elatllat

Unread postby oldchap » Mon May 14, 2018 2:52 pm

Oh Dear the grammer nazis have overtaken the forum.
I wont be buying a N1 the elitists of the debug party have seen to that
oldchap

Unread postby rooted » Mon May 14, 2018 9:25 pm

oldchap wrote:Oh Dear the grammer nazis have overtaken the forum.
I wont be buying a N1 the elitists of the debug party have seen to that
I wasn't trying to be an elitist, I was being realistic.

Every Odroid device I have owned has the heartbeat, I was saying the next will as well. If it bothers you so much why would you purchase?

I also did try to help with your issue, didn't want anything in return. Not even a thank you, if I help that is thanks enough.

Good day.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Return to General Chat