CloudShell 2 - Mirrored Drives, can they be imported into a non-Cloudshell (non-JMicron) controller as non-RAID?

dbdbdb
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: xu4, c2, cloudshell2
Been thanked: 0

CloudShell 2 - Mirrored Drives, can they be imported into a non-Cloudshell (non-JMicron) controller as non-RAID?

Unread post by dbdbdb » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:39 pm

Hi,

I am in the process of upgrading my drives in my cloudshell 2 (going bigger). I'm curious if I can pull the drives out and put them into another Linux system (Ubuntu, non-cloudshell, non-JMicron) and attach one of the disks as a non-mirrored drive? The Linux system in question is using Ubuntu, same version as my Cloudshell, using host bus adapters (HBAs) and has no hardware RAID available, and I'm not using any software RAID either at this moment.

If I can't attach the drives as a single drive, could I attach them with software RAID on Ubuntu?
If software or non-RAID is not available, what if I had a RAID controller card - would it have to be JMicron based or could I use something else (would be a simple controller like a SIIG which are all using a Marvel chip)?

I know I can pull the box apart and find out for myself, but don't want to mess with the box/mirror/drives/data until I backup all of my data, but it would be nice to know because I could perform operations a lot faster on a local machine vs over the (wired) 1Gbit network connection for 6 TB worth of data and then binary comparing to make sure they are good copies (you never know)

Ultimately, I do plan to test this and then I will post when I'm done with my operation (if no one has an answer) to confirm if that's possible.

thanks,

DB

AreaScout
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U3, XU3, C2, HiFi Shield, XU4, XU4Q,
N1, Go, VU5A, Show2, CloudShell2,
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Re: CloudShell 2 - Mirrored Drives, can they be imported into a non-Cloudshell (non-JMicron) controller as non-RA

Unread post by AreaScout » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:24 am

You must disband your current RAID to PM mode by configure the dip switches and hold the raid config button while booting, after this you will have two drives with exactly the same contains ONLY POSSIBLE WITH RAID 1

If you had RAID 0 configured and you are about to disband the RAID you will lose your data by doing this.

Configure a hardware RAID set to software RAID set without losing data or disband the RAID is not possible as far as I know.

RG
    These users thanked the author AreaScout for the post:
    dbdbdb (Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:02 am)

dbdbdb
    languages_spoken: english
    ODROIDs: xu4, c2, cloudshell2
    Been thanked: 0

Re: CloudShell 2 - Mirrored Drives, can they be imported into a non-Cloudshell (non-JMicron) controller as non-RAID?

Unread post by dbdbdb » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:29 am

Thank you, excellent point I left out - these are RAID 1 (Mirror). And thanks for the info.

Do you know what file system format the drives will be in when reset to PM?

thanks,

Dean

AreaScout
    languages_spoken: german, english
    ODROIDs: X2, U3, XU3, C2, HiFi Shield, XU4, XU4Q,
    N1, Go, VU5A, Show2, CloudShell2,
    H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Re: CloudShell 2 - Mirrored Drives, can they be imported into a non-Cloudshell (non-JMicron) controller as non-RAID?

Unread post by AreaScout » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:06 pm

The same file system which you have chosen when you did the format on the RAID drive

RG

Return to “CloudShell”