Increase storage size on RAID 1

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Increase storage size on RAID 1

Unread postby gekoch » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Hy

Currently I'm running out of storage on my RAID 1 CloudShell system.
Now I want to upgrade to a larger size HDD.
What are the steps to perform a storage upgrade?

Like take a smaller size HDD out of the system and put the larger in. Wait till
the RAID is built up again. Then remove the other smaller HDD and replace it with the
larger one and wait again to build up the RAID. After that is there already the whole
new disk space available?

Andy
gekoch

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: xu4

Re: Increase storage size on RAID 1

Unread postby neal » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:52 pm

gekoch wrote:Like take a smaller size HDD out of the system and put the larger in. Wait till
the RAID is built up again. Then remove the other smaller HDD and replace it with the
larger one and wait again to build up the RAID. After that is there already the whole
new disk space available?

I strongly recommend that before doing this you need to backup data first to prevent losing your data.
As far as I know, The bottom of HDD is Sata [0] on the cloudshell 2. That means It would be copied from Sata [0] to SATA [1](which is top of HDD) after you start to build up(or recover) process.
Please check below wiki "How to recover data". It will be a reference to change from RAID1 to PM mode or the other way.
https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/add-on_boards/xu4_cloudshell2/data_recovery#how_to_recover_data
Wish you have luck.
neal

Unread postby gekoch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:15 am

Recover data is not the problem. Already done that.
But whats the right/best way to upgrade from two small HDD in RAID 1
to two larger HDD?

Andy
gekoch

ODROIDs: xu4

Unread postby neal » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:22 am

It's not all about recovery. You should know when you change the disk on the cloudshell2.
I think the best way as I know is make build RAID 1 with two the larger HDD first. and then copy your backup data to the cloudshell2 using like command rsync.
If your backup data copied already to the new larger HDD, you can mount at Sata [0] and the new blank larger HDD mount at Sata [1].
I think it's the better that both two HDD could be the same capacity and the same model.
And then It will be build to make RAID 1(mirror). I remember that it's a long time(4TB about 12 hours more) depending on your HDD capacity.
neal

Return to CloudShell