Noob Question

Test and fix the Kernel 4.14 features

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Noob Question

Unread postby cadelle » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:22 am

Looking at the release notes for new kernel and Linux image found here https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_i ... 4/20171212

A little down the page I find the statement "This guide is only for the NATIVE BUILD. Run it on the board". If I am grabbing this image and installing it on my eMMC would this be a "Native" build? If not, how would I know? Secondly it states to run it on the board. If I am doing things in the CLI do I need to do something differently?

Essentially that phrase has got me spooked. I am trying to just follow step by step and don't know if I can just keep going or if I should skip those steps or somehow perform them differently? Sorry, pretty new to Linux stuff.

I currently have an OMV image that uses the 4.9 kernel. Am I correct that updating the image is one thing but I will need to perform seperate commands that update the kernel on the board? Should I update my image first and then the kernel or vice versa?
cadelle

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, cloudshell2

Re: Noob Question

Unread postby odroid » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:46 am

If you use the OMV image, keep waiting until the OMV/Armbian maintainers release a Kernel update package because their boot blobs location is different from our official Ubuntu image.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby cadelle » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:52 am

I'm actually planning on moving to the full Linux distro. I was trying to run OMV to use less resources in order to make use as a PLEX server but the quality was so abysmal I am just going to use it as a seed box instead and run the full distro with GUI
cadelle

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, cloudshell2

Unread postby odroid » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:24 am

If you want to try Ubuntu NAS configuration, refer this guide.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/soft ... ubuntu_nas
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Return to Linux Kernel 4.14 Debugging Party