3D TV autoswitch -partly working since 7.0.2 release finally

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid, Raybuntu, wrxtasy

3D TV autoswitch -partly working since 7.0.2 release finally

Unread postby infinity85 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:38 am

Hi there,

since schimi2k mentioned in the main (release) thread that TV autoswitch into 3D was working for him, it drove me insane, that his settings did not work for me. He even sent me his config as a backup without success on this update: LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-7.0.1.3D.ISO.MySQL.tar. For him it was working even after he made (especially for me) a fresh install to reproduce the positive experience.

So... I kinda gave it up... then thought... I should give it a try with wrxtasys new release from 14.June.2016 (LibreELEC-Odroid_C2_aarch64-7.0.2-Kodi-Jarvis-16.1.img) and surprise surprise.... it did switch my TV automatically into 3D :D (although only if I set it according to schimi2k to "ask" me for the mode instead of "preferred". "preferred" still does not work for completely automatic switch.

I would like to ask you wrxtasy what kind of differences (regarding specifically 3D) were made between LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-7.0.1.3D.ISO.MySQL.tar (which worked for schimi2k but not for me) and the recent LibreELEC-Odroid_C2_aarch64-7.0.2-Kodi-Jarvis-16.1.img (which finally also worked for me) ? Not that I would understand something of the changes, but I just would like to have it some kind of documented or at least mentioned to make sure it was not just a shot in the dark which could fall apart in next release unintentionally. That means: I would like to note here that there are some changes which did it for me although it sounds in the main thread as if the changes had been made back in LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-7.0.1.3D.ISO.MySQL.tar went over to the current LibreELEC-Odroid_C2_aarch64-7.0.2-Kodi-Jarvis-16.1.img without any additions. There is clearly something that triggers my TV now.

And the preferred mode issue: Is there anything new that makes this possible? Or is the reason still what you mentioned inthis thread?

Thanks a lot for the new release wrxtasy :). Looks like I can soon switch over from RPi2 to the C2. Reliable 3D is the last thing I miss now :-)
infinity85

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: Odroid C2

Re: 3D TV autoswitch -partly working since 7.0.2 release fin

Unread postby wrxtasy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:31 am

Hi, I'm sure 3D users will appreciate the feedback.

Changes may have been either some R/W permissions tweaks in the AML Linux Kernel or:
https://github.com/wrxtasy/LibreELEC.tv ... odec.patch

No 3D TV here to test on, so I was tweaking Kodi "blind" ;)

One question is this 3D ISO decoding MVC to HOU aka Top Bottom in Half Resolution or is it configurable ?
(From reading elsewhere I believe that to be the case)

Seems like you can get full 1080p 3D resolutions when using FULL-SBS or FULL-TAB according to schimi2k.
schimi2k, is this manipulating the files with Makemkv or using some sort of extraction software ?
LibreELEC Krypton C1(+) HERE
LibreELEC Krypton C2 HERE
wrxtasy

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2

Unread postby schimi2k » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:44 pm

Respect wrxtasy - tweaking without testing ... not bad buddy hehe

just for info how i make my full sbs/tab
i just convert it with DVDFAB in full-sbs in my case now ( i use active shutter glasses - and sbs is better with that )
dvdfab dont set any header info - so i edit the header in mkvtoolnix-gui - 3D Mode to 1 ( 1=sbs ; 3=tab )
and when i try to play it NOW on my normal HD TV or Projector ( 1920x1080 ) i have a "squashed" small Video ( big black bars at top and bottom ) - because the resolution is in full-sbs 3840x1080
so i have also to edit the Header > VIDEOTRACK > Video Display Width from 3840 to 1920 - and JUST this ! not the Video Pixel Width
now i get the original screen

i compare my H-SBS and my F-SBS - on my 100Inch screen and Benq 1070+ Projector ( so not realy High End but okay ) and the quality is maybe a lill bit better - but not realy much - and when i compare the filesize = H-sbs~15GB ; F-sbs~30GB ...
maybe with this Header change i "reduce" the full-sbs again to half-sbs maybe... i am not the biggest 3D expert and even those H-sbs are enough for me ( even when MVC would be realy nice )
Onkyo 616 - Samsung UE46 D6200 - Benq 1070+ - Hama VRC-1100 - odroid c2+le+madnox
schimi2k

languages_spoken: english, German
ODROIDs: C2

Unread postby infinity85 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:42 am

wrxtasy wrote:[...]

One question is this 3D ISO decoding MVC to HOU aka Top Bottom in Half Resolution or is it configurable ?
(From reading elsewhere I believe that to be the case)

[...]

Could you be more specific about the term "configurable"? I'm not quite sure how to understand this. However I'm never sure what true resolution is output if I play MVC on my tv. The TV simply shows (in info tab) that it is 1080p. But as the C2 is apparently only capable of outputting half-res I cannot verify this... I mean... my tv also shows 1080p for H-SBS, because the actual resolution is 1920 but halved of course. I'm not sure how the TV takes into account the second-eye-stream of MVC in terms of resolution.
Additionally I have a TV with Passive 3D, so the displayed resolution must be halved anyway, so it's even harder to distinguish different resolution, because passive 3D has always less active pixels anyway.
infinity85

Unread postby Exist2Resist » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:59 am

@infinity85 @wrxtasy
just an FYI but, I installed the latest update (LibreELEC-Odroid_C2_aarch64-7.0.2-Kodi-Jarvis-16.1.Test.Alt.2160p.tar) last night and 3D auto switching is working fully for me.
I set it up to auto switch to 3D based on content and it is working as it should and the same way it does on my RPi2.

Having said this HSBS 1080 content looks terrible upscaled to UHD.
I am running my odroid in 1080p though, so maybe I'll switch it to 2160p and see if odroid upscaling looks better.
Exist2Resist

Unread postby rockla » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:52 am

I'll test some 3d movies as well since it's full hd ups scaled to 4k doesn't look good which tv do you have
rockla

ODROIDs: C1,C2

Unread postby infinity85 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:50 am

Exist2Resist wrote:@infinity85 @wrxtasy
just an FYI but, I installed the latest update (LibreELEC-Odroid_C2_aarch64-7.0.2-Kodi-Jarvis-16.1.Test.Alt.2160p.tar) last night and 3D auto switching is working fully for me.
I set it up to auto switch to 3D based on content and it is working as it should and the same way it does on my RPi2.

Having said this HSBS 1080 content looks terrible upscaled to UHD.
I am running my odroid in 1080p though, so maybe I'll switch it to 2160p and see if odroid upscaling looks better.

Good to hear that! After reading this I freed my C2 from dust an hooked it up again. But....

Well... I can't confirm this using (automatic) preferred mode setting. I tried starting the samples at least 10 times. Indeed it switched one time into 3D mode automatically, but jumped out of it again. And I could not reproduce this switch again. After I set it back to "ask me" like schimi2k described it, it is switching automatically after confirming the 3D mode prompt. It is strange, that it worked once (not staying in 3D though, respectively it switched back to 2D mysteriously, even showing my Philips 2D info logo. As If I chose the 2D button on my TVs Remote control).

By the way:
In this Test.Alt.2160p.tar I encounter the 7s black screen after starting a movie/sample somehow more often. Once it occured on one file I can reproduce it on this file as many times as I want until I start another file... then the 7s blackscreen phenomenon will vanish also for the prior file. Then it can occur again and I have to start another movie to get rid of it.

EDIT
I also noticed that even my 720p movies are somehow upscaled to 1080p. At least my TV shows in infotab that it is 1080p24 instead of 720p24 what it should be. When starting the movie it changes from 1080p60 to 1080p24 no matter what. That should not be the case, as I want my TV to be responsible for upscaling, not the Odroid C2 hmmm..
infinity85

Unread postby wrxtasy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:14 pm

- Kodi Settings > System > Video Output > Pick your resolution

- Kodi Settings > Videos > Playback > Adjust Display Refresh Rate > Off

This thread may help with the delayed video display appearing when movies are started:
viewtopic.php?f=144&t=20415&start=950#p146162
LibreELEC Krypton C1(+) HERE
LibreELEC Krypton C2 HERE
wrxtasy

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2

Unread postby beiriannydd » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:36 pm

Hm, switching to 1080p24 might explain why my Avegant Glyph is not switching to 3D.
The Glyph only supports 720p60 (And 50 I think) Frame Packed 3D.
I've had this working by creating a 1280x1470 video mode for my Mac and using Bino, but I really want a go-anywhere media box that I can watch 3d movies on the go with. It would also be cool to have a hat/shield which had media keys, a small LCD and 3.7v lithium/power switch but it isn't worth investing in that until I have the basics down. I'm using 720p TAB mkvs, not MVC. Output is H-TAB 720p60 or half width half height, depending on how I configure the aspect ratio. What information can I give to help make this work (also who/where to donate in order to support further development)
beiriannydd

Unread postby seba1970 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:17 pm

3D autoswitching isn't working at all with 7.1.0 update , unfortunately
seba1970

ODROIDs: odroid C2

Return to LibreELEC - Kodi Project for C1/C2