LibreELEC - no more nightly builds?

jma2
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2
Been thanked: 0

LibreELEC - no more nightly builds?

Unread post by jma2 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:43 pm

Hi all,

I used to update my C2 with the latest nightly build from LibreElec. Yesterday I checked my regular source and the build for Odroid C2 is missing completely. Would that be correct?
If so, a reason to step over to CoreELEC and to dig up where the nightly builds are to be found, or to just stick with the running system I have.

Kind regards,
Jan

Raybuntu
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1+, C2

Re: LibreELEC - no more nightly builds?

Unread post by Raybuntu » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:47 am

Is there a reason you still use LibreELEC. At least for LE9 Amlogic was completely abandoned and stuck at a stage one year ago when we (CoreELEC) forked. Just curious what the reason is.

jma2

Unread post by jma2 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:41 am

Hi Ray,

I suppose it is a combination of:
1) Very little time to watch video in general (and while my Odroid C2 is always there, updating with a nightly was easily done and it worked fine until recently)
2) I once tried to upgrade to CoreELEC by simply putting an image of it in the /storage/.update directory, which didn't work then (and most likely will not work now either).
3) While everything was working fine there was no urgency for change and the idea of having to re-flash my emmc module and lose track of what I watched in the past made the switch not appealing

In summary, you could say that because of other prioities and lack of time I shifted the switch in front of me. Now I think I am ripe for it...

I suppose I will find an up-to-date procedure to make the switch in this location (I would suppose one of the first sticky posts/threads will guide me through the process as a knife through butter).

I know you are one of the people behind CoreElec (if no "the" man behind it) and I do appreciate all the effort you do for the community, let my laziness not give you a different feeling.

Kind regards,
Jan

Raybuntu
ODROIDs: C1+, C2

Unread post by Raybuntu » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:01 am

Don't think my asking was in any way an attack. I really just wondered if there is some reason.

fretzke
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by fretzke » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:10 am

Hi Ray,

I hope you don't mind me offering you another feedback from my humble user side.

Like the OP, I too hesitated to switch from LE to CE, even though I knew that CE was specifically made for AML while LE was not. The reason was plain and simple: LE8 was running fine and the transition with reinstalling from scratch seemed time consuming for little improvement.

That changed with the release of LE9! After waiting some time to have the first teething troubles weeded out, I decided to upgrade to LE9. Unfortunately LE9 was running very dissatisfactory on the C2. While the upgrade itself was as easy as pie, the new system was having constant playback issues. For that reason I finally moved to CE.

I read the discussion in the CE forums about a direct upgrade and understand the difficulty with upgrading from LE to CE. I tried the described way of a direct upgrade, and while it did not brick my system, the result was running unstably. So I finally did a clean install and now everything is well.

Bottom line: The switch took as much effort as expected, but the improvement was way better. (LIRC finally working, hooray!)
At this point I want to thank you for this fine piece of software! CE really is running notably better than LE ever was. :D

The OP obviously missed the possibility to import the library DB from a LE9 backup to keep all the video status and metadata. Still a way to directly install CE over LE without flashing might take the transition's first ominousness.

Best regards

Malte

jma2

Unread post by jma2 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:22 am

I took the dive and so far so good. No complaints. But neither did I have complaints from LibreElec and the hickups in LE9, I didn't encounter somehow.
Malte you were right in that I missed the opportunity to import the library DB from an LE9 backup. However, the generation of a new one was reasonably quick.
Some of my ripped files which I named "[BR] Movie-title (year).mkv" or "[DVD] Movie-title.mkv" I will have to manually scan again, but there aren't that many (I stopped the naming convention after I got my Odroid C2 and realized the work ahead).

Kind regards,
Jan

Return to “CoreELEC/LibreELEC - Kodi Project for C1/C2”