problem with visualization.shadertoy addon in Kodi 17

circulosmeos
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID-C2

problem with visualization.shadertoy addon in Kodi 17

Unread post by circulosmeos » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:30 am

I'm using ODROID-C2 with
  • Kodi 17.6 (apt package 17.6+hk2-odroidc2ubuntu7)
  • hardkernel's Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
  • kernel Linux odroid64 3.14.79-114
I've been testing different versions of visualization.shadertoy addon (v1.0.6 extracted from LibreELEC, or compiled by myself based on v 1.1.5)
as the ones shipped with this Kodi didn't show anything (the source code compiled in ODROID does not correctly link to GLESv2 (I've patched this)).

The problem is that all shaders (visualizations) are reinitiated every 8 seconds:
this is more obvious in the ones that cycle or evolve because the process is stopped and started again from the beginning, which destroys the evolution of the visualization:
it's quite annoying :evil: and has obliged me to stop adding more interesting shaders.
I haven't found the cause (Kodi options, C++ code, or Mali graphic processor problem specific to ODROID-C2?):
if somebody can give me some hint about this it'd be great !

PS: Also, if you have an ODROID-C2 and your visualization.shadertoy addon runs smoothly, please, post your distro and versions: thanks ! ;)

circulosmeos
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID-C2

Re: problem with visualization.shadertoy addon in Kodi 17

Unread post by circulosmeos » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:37 am

I have discovered the issue that make the shaders animation reinitiate every 8 seconds:
It seems that the GPU Mali450 has a limit of 13 bit time resolution (=8192 ms).
Fortunately this limit can be overcome at the expense of loss of precision in some shaders, but most like SHAPE or Alhambra do run smoothly this way!

If any one is interested, I've released version 3.14 for ODROID-C2
with which also adding new shaders is as easy as modifying a json file.

Greetings!

Return to “LibreELEC - Kodi Project for C1/C2”