LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid, Raybuntu, wrxtasy

LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby redbird » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:58 am

I'm loving Raybuntu's rb-beta1i. Really great work!
I actually prefer it over the Android Jarvis version, but there is one difference I don't like.

I wish I could press the IR remote keys as fast as I do in Android and have them be recognized. After using this remote in Android, it feels like I'm having to long press the keys in LE.

I did try copying /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.amremote to ./.config and removed all the other remotes. I tried messing with some of the settings that are in microseconds but didn't get better results.

Any suggestions? Is replacing these $5 remotes the answer? The wife has already complained about having to hit the sweet spot when pressing the OK button. :)
(Not the mini wireless keypad with the intense blue light.)

Just so nobody gets the wrong idea, when I use a network remote like Yatse, the user interface is probably faster than Android. (Really amazing when I think back to the Rpi model B days.)
redbird
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:23 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U2, C2x5, XU4Qx2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby Raybuntu » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:53 pm

That's a known issue. lirc is not that fast with these NEC remote. We can use amremote like to Wetek Play2 but then no other remote will work.
That's what official LE supports. And it's either amremote or lirc. You can not switch between those without recompile currently.

It's a judgment call between supporting all kinds of remotes or having quick button presses with amlogic remotes.
BTC: 12zLUYC7JzwM7a8cQKekAvZr9kWxjzTfxm
Raybuntu
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:23 pm
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1+, C2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby redbird » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:53 am

Understood and thanks for the reply.

After more important issues are resolved, choosing between lirc and amremote in LE would be a nice user configurable.
redbird
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:23 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U2, C2x5, XU4Qx2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby Raybuntu » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:29 am

I will try to find a solution. I don't have original HK remote but I have a Wetek Hub which has the same problem.
BTC: 12zLUYC7JzwM7a8cQKekAvZr9kWxjzTfxm
Raybuntu
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:23 pm
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1+, C2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby wrxtasy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:31 am

I've given up on IR only remotes completely since going Wireless.

No mini pauses, no line of sight problems, no missed button presses. I even have a keyboard.
A C2 with eMMC Flash and a Wireless remote makes for one very nice Kodi Media player - wee little beastie !
LibreELEC Krypton C1(+) HERE
LibreELEC Krypton C2 HERE
User avatar
wrxtasy
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 1:59 pm
Location: Australia
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby rooted » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:28 am

Why not use ir-keytable instead of lirc?
User avatar
rooted
 
Posts: 5607
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby Raybuntu » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:38 pm

wrxtasy wrote:I've given up on IR only remotes completely since going Wireless.

No mini pauses, no line of sight problems, no missed button presses. I even have a keyboard.
A C2 with eMMC Flash and a Wireless remote makes for one very nice Kodi Media player - wee little beastie !

What kind of wireless remote can you recommend?

rooted wrote:Why not use ir-keytable instead of lirc?

Thats what @kwiboo suggested too. I wanned to try that for my Wetek.Hub remote and see how it goes. As far I can tell the remote is almost the same as the HK one.
BTC: 12zLUYC7JzwM7a8cQKekAvZr9kWxjzTfxm
Raybuntu
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:23 pm
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1+, C2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby rooted » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:34 pm

I used to use it on my C1, it is actually a lot easier to configure than lirc and I believe it also works better since it directly interfaces with the kernel without a daemon process.
User avatar
rooted
 
Posts: 5607
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby rooted » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Raybuntu wrote:
wrxtasy wrote:I've given up on IR only remotes completely since going Wireless.

No mini pauses, no line of sight problems, no missed button presses. I even have a keyboard.
A C2 with eMMC Flash and a Wireless remote makes for one very nice Kodi Media player - wee little beastie !

What kind of wireless remote can you recommend?

rooted wrote:Why not use ir-keytable instead of lirc?

Thats what @kwiboo suggested too. I wanned to try that for my Wetek.Hub remote and see how it goes. As far I can tell the remote is almost the same as the HK one.

I dug up my ir-keytable configuration for the HK remote (Power is mapped to 'o' to show codecs info in Kodi):

Code: Select all
#table odroid, type: NEC
#power
0xb2dc KEY_O
#mute
0xb288 KEY_MUTE
#home
0xb282 KEY_ESCAPE
#up
0xb2ca KEY_UP
#left
0xb299 KEY_LEFT
#down
0xb2d2 KEY_DOWN
#right
0xb2c1 KEY_RIGHT
#enter
0xb2ce KEY_ENTER
#menu
0xb2c5 KEY_C
#back
0xb29a KEY_BACK
#volume up
0xb280 KEY_VOLUMEUP
#volume down
0xb281 KEY_VOLUMEDOWN


Save as remote.conf and do this:

Code: Select all
ir-keytable -c -w remote.conf


Not sure how helpful that is to you since you don't actually have the HK remote but posting for those who do and want to try this.
User avatar
rooted
 
Posts: 5607
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby wrxtasy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:02 pm

Raybuntu wrote:
wrxtasy wrote:I've given up on IR only remotes completely since going Wireless.

No mini pauses, no line of sight problems, no missed button presses. I even have a keyboard.
A C2 with eMMC Flash and a Wireless remote makes for one very nice Kodi Media player - wee little beastie !

What kind of wireless remote can you recommend?

MINIX A2 Lite - Air mouse - Mini Keyboard, because it basically works with every Android, LibreELEC, Linux, OSX etc, box I plug it into. The IR power OFF/ON button will of course not work with the C2 due to our current C2 IR remote custom U-boot coding.

It a nice solid, high quality remote as well. Good for big Gorilla bloke hands !
LibreELEC Krypton C1(+) HERE
LibreELEC Krypton C2 HERE
User avatar
wrxtasy
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 1:59 pm
Location: Australia
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby infinity85 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:10 am

rooted wrote:
Raybuntu wrote:
wrxtasy wrote:I've given up on IR only remotes completely since going Wireless.

No mini pauses, no line of sight problems, no missed button presses. I even have a keyboard.
A C2 with eMMC Flash and a Wireless remote makes for one very nice Kodi Media player - wee little beastie !

What kind of wireless remote can you recommend?

rooted wrote:Why not use ir-keytable instead of lirc?

Thats what @kwiboo suggested too. I wanned to try that for my Wetek.Hub remote and see how it goes. As far I can tell the remote is almost the same as the HK one.

I dug up my ir-keytable configuration for the HK remote (Power is mapped to 'o' to show codecs info in Kodi):

Code: Select all
#table odroid, type: NEC
#power
0xb2dc KEY_O
#mute
0xb288 KEY_MUTE
#home
0xb282 KEY_ESCAPE
#up
0xb2ca KEY_UP
#left
0xb299 KEY_LEFT
#down
0xb2d2 KEY_DOWN
#right
0xb2c1 KEY_RIGHT
#enter
0xb2ce KEY_ENTER
#menu
0xb2c5 KEY_C
#back
0xb29a KEY_BACK
#volume up
0xb280 KEY_VOLUMEUP
#volume down
0xb281 KEY_VOLUMEDOWN


Save as remote.conf and do this:

Code: Select all
ir-keytable -c -w remote.conf


Not sure how helpful that is to you since you don't actually have the HK remote but posting for those who do and want to try this.


Interesting... I tried this. created the remote.conf and executed the line "ir-keytable -c -w remote.conf". My harmony has the Odroid C2 profile loaded.
Keypresses are kind of weird. When I press "OK", then the navigation does up+ok if I navigated with cursor up before. If I navigated with cursor down before and press "ok" afterwards, then this evokes a "cursor-down" and a "OK-press". This only happens if I've used the navigate buttons directly before pressing OK. By simply navigating without pressing OK-button, the cursor commands are sometimes inverted, sometimes correct. They are slow on repeats and do not always react.

Observing "irw" in putty, pressing the "OK-Button":
Code: Select all
6c 0 KEY_DOWN devinput
6c 0 KEY_DOWN_UP devinput
1c 0 KEY_ENTER devinput
1c 0 KEY_ENTER_UP devinput



I assume that this all is because of a bit different scan codes for the harmony.
So I followed this guide to scan my harmony codes: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title ... own_remote

But nothing happens if I press buttons after typing these lines:
Code: Select all
killall eventlircd
killall lircd
ir-keytable -p NEC,RC-5,RC-6,JVC,SONY,LIRC,OTHER
ir-keytable -c
ir-keytable -t

What is it that I do wrong here?
infinity85
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:26 am
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: Odroid C2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby rooted » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:05 pm

I guess the codes changed a bit between the C1 to C2.

You are sure lircd is not running?
User avatar
rooted
 
Posts: 5607
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby infinity85 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:28 pm

rooted wrote:I guess the codes changed a bit between the C1 to C2.

You are sure lircd is not running?
The Harmony profiles between C1 and C2 seem to be the same, at least C1 profile works for C2 (also power on/off).

But no, I'm not sure whether lircd is stopped. If I do killall eventlircd and killall lircd a second time, it says that there's nothing to kill anymore. But still I'm not completely sure. Is there a certain way to verify it?

How did you obtain the scancodes for your remote.conf?

p.s.: I put the remote.conf into .config directory, and evoked ir-keytable -c -w remote.conf in this directory. I hope that is correct? (at least it reacts on the button presses, so has to be kind of correct?)
infinity85
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:26 am
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: Odroid C2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby rooted » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:33 pm

I don't currently have LE installed, I will compile ir-keytable later and try it on Android and see if I get the same behavior.
User avatar
rooted
 
Posts: 5607
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby redbird » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:32 am

wrxtasy wrote:I've given up on IR only remotes completely since going Wireless.

No mini pauses, no line of sight problems, no missed button presses. I even have a keyboard.
A C2 with eMMC Flash and a Wireless remote makes for one very nice Kodi Media player - wee little beastie !


I found a wireless air mouse with the same foot print as the HK IR remote. I was so excited, I ordered two of them.
It is awesome! Too awesome, really. When I use the remote upstairs, it changes the TV downstairs.

Should I tell the wife we need to wrap the upstairs bedroom in aluminum foil? :)
redbird
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:23 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U2, C2x5, XU4Qx2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby Raybuntu » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:37 am

infinity85 wrote:
rooted wrote:
Raybuntu wrote:
wrxtasy wrote:I've given up on IR only remotes completely since going Wireless.

No mini pauses, no line of sight problems, no missed button presses. I even have a keyboard.
A C2 with eMMC Flash and a Wireless remote makes for one very nice Kodi Media player - wee little beastie !

What kind of wireless remote can you recommend?

rooted wrote:Why not use ir-keytable instead of lirc?

Thats what @kwiboo suggested too. I wanned to try that for my Wetek.Hub remote and see how it goes. As far I can tell the remote is almost the same as the HK one.

I dug up my ir-keytable configuration for the HK remote (Power is mapped to 'o' to show codecs info in Kodi):

Code: Select all
#table odroid, type: NEC
#power
0xb2dc KEY_O
#mute
0xb288 KEY_MUTE
#home
0xb282 KEY_ESCAPE
#up
0xb2ca KEY_UP
#left
0xb299 KEY_LEFT
#down
0xb2d2 KEY_DOWN
#right
0xb2c1 KEY_RIGHT
#enter
0xb2ce KEY_ENTER
#menu
0xb2c5 KEY_C
#back
0xb29a KEY_BACK
#volume up
0xb280 KEY_VOLUMEUP
#volume down
0xb281 KEY_VOLUMEDOWN


Save as remote.conf and do this:

Code: Select all
ir-keytable -c -w remote.conf


Not sure how helpful that is to you since you don't actually have the HK remote but posting for those who do and want to try this.


Interesting... I tried this. created the remote.conf and executed the line "ir-keytable -c -w remote.conf". My harmony has the Odroid C2 profile loaded.
Keypresses are kind of weird. When I press "OK", then the navigation does up+ok if I navigated with cursor up before. If I navigated with cursor down before and press "ok" afterwards, then this evokes a "cursor-down" and a "OK-press". This only happens if I've used the navigate buttons directly before pressing OK. By simply navigating without pressing OK-button, the cursor commands are sometimes inverted, sometimes correct. They are slow on repeats and do not always react.

Observing "irw" in putty, pressing the "OK-Button":
Code: Select all
6c 0 KEY_DOWN devinput
6c 0 KEY_DOWN_UP devinput
1c 0 KEY_ENTER devinput
1c 0 KEY_ENTER_UP devinput



I assume that this all is because of a bit different scan codes for the harmony.
So I followed this guide to scan my harmony codes: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title ... own_remote

But nothing happens if I press buttons after typing these lines:
Code: Select all
killall eventlircd
killall lircd
ir-keytable -p NEC,RC-5,RC-6,JVC,SONY,LIRC,OTHER
ir-keytable -c
ir-keytable -t

What is it that I do wrong here?


Got exactly the same issue. Something is totally wrong.
BTC: 12zLUYC7JzwM7a8cQKekAvZr9kWxjzTfxm
Raybuntu
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:23 pm
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1+, C2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby infinity85 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:16 am

Raybuntu wrote:Got exactly the same issue. Something is totally wrong.

At least partly it could be related to this issue here: https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-4210.html
infinity85
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:26 am
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: Odroid C2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby Raybuntu » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:58 am

Not related, I don't have lirc, kodi and eventlircd running. I can see this nonsense in evtest too. It looks like the previous button is queued somehow. Some timer issue or whatever. I can reproduce this even with my mce remote. Currently no idea.
BTC: 12zLUYC7JzwM7a8cQKekAvZr9kWxjzTfxm
Raybuntu
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:23 pm
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1+, C2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby infinity85 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:26 am

May be some side effect of this then?: Unable to build - lirc patches won't apply

Edit:
And now I see this thread: 7.95.1 - lirc not working correct on rpi

a lot of Lirc issues for the past days...
infinity85
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:26 am
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: Odroid C2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby Raybuntu » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:28 am

No not related. But thanks.
BTC: 12zLUYC7JzwM7a8cQKekAvZr9kWxjzTfxm
Raybuntu
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:23 pm
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1+, C2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby tom81 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:40 am

Raybuntu wrote:Not related, I don't have lirc, kodi and eventlircd running. I can see this nonsense in evtest too. It looks like the previous button is queued somehow. Some timer issue or whatever. I can reproduce this even with my mce remote. Currently no idea.


I have the very same issue on my C2, so I played a bit with the meson-ir driver. It seems that the driver from HK's kernel works better than the one from linux-amlogic (the kernel which is used in LibreELEC).
The queuing issue is still there but only occurs when you press two different buttons subsequently very fast. I have attached a patch against linux-amlogic kernel which integrates the ir driver from HK, in case someone is interested.
Attachments
linux-009-ir-odroid-fix.patch.gz
(2.35 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
tom81
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:08 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby WebEye » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:24 am

tom81 wrote:
Raybuntu wrote:Not related, I don't have lirc, kodi and eventlircd running. I can see this nonsense in evtest too. It looks like the previous button is queued somehow. Some timer issue or whatever. I can reproduce this even with my mce remote. Currently no idea.


I have the very same issue on my C2, so I played a bit with the meson-ir driver. It seems that the driver from HK's kernel works better than the one from linux-amlogic (the kernel which is used in LibreELEC).
The queuing issue is still there but only occurs when you press two different buttons subsequently very fast. I have attached a patch against linux-amlogic kernel which integrates the ir driver from HK, in case someone is interested.


Hey tom81,
many thanks! This patch is the only way to enjoy LE at the moment! It works fine, while you keep in mind not to press too fast....

So, thanks again,
WebEye
WebEye
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:51 pm
languages_spoken: english,german
ODROIDs: oDroid C2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby ozolli » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:12 am

tom81 wrote:I have the very same issue on my C2, so I played a bit with the meson-ir driver. It seems that the driver from HK's kernel works better than the one from linux-amlogic (the kernel which is used in LibreELEC).
The queuing issue is still there but only occurs when you press two different buttons subsequently very fast. I have attached a patch against linux-amlogic kernel which integrates the ir driver from HK, in case someone is interested.

Hi @tom81
Can you, or someone else, re upload this patch please ?
TIA.
ozolli
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:06 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid C2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby WebEye » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:27 am

sure...

If you want I can provide you a patched LE 8.0.1 based tar file!

Greets,
WebEye
Attachments
linux-009-ir-odroid-fix.patch.gz
(2.35 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
WebEye
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:51 pm
languages_spoken: english,german
ODROIDs: oDroid C2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby ozolli » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:10 am

Thank you @WebEye !

The patched LE 8.0.1 based tar file is not necessary but thank you anyway ;)
ozolli
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:06 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid C2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby gromgsxr » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:03 am

WebEye wrote:sure...

If you want I can provide you a patched LE 8.0.1 based tar file!

Greets,
WebEye


im currently running the compile of the stock image for testing, but how do i apply this patch like an idiots guide please?
gromgsxr
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:58 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: c2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby WebEye » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:23 am

gromgsxr wrote:im currently running the compile of the stock image for testing, but how do i apply this patch like an idiots guide please?


Hey,

you need to put the the unpacked patch to following directory:

./LibreElec.tv/projects/Odroid_C2/patches/linux/

see How to compile libreelec

Good luck,
WebEye

PS: You can also wait for the upcoming LibreELEC 8.2 release, or test the current 8.1.2 Beta. Maybe they solved this issue....
WebEye
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:51 pm
languages_spoken: english,german
ODROIDs: oDroid C2

Re: LibreElec lirc with HK IR remote

Unread postby WebEye » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:49 am

Just for info:

With LE 8.2.0 ir-keytable works out of the box for me, but can't get lirc working proper...

But this is ok for me, finally good remote control handling! Thanks to the coders...

WebEye
WebEye
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:51 pm
languages_spoken: english,german
ODROIDs: oDroid C2


Return to LibreELEC - Kodi Project for C1/C2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests