Wired Network Connectivity Issue

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Wired Network Connectivity Issue

Unread postby Fluffy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:22 pm

Hi all,

I believe I know the problem (hardware failure of RJ45 jack or internals) but I'll run through what I've done to see if anyone has any additional tests or options I could try to get it working.

I'm running Libreelec v8.2.x on the odroid C2 with an external USB HDD for media storage and ethernet cable (no wifi alternate connection) and a Samba server. I've been running the setup for many months now with no issue.
Yesterday it dropped its connection to the network. I noticed because I tried to access the media over the Samba share from my PC. I had not made any updates or system reboots between it working and not working. In the network settings I noticed the DHCP config was defaulting to the 169.xxx ip so I tried setting a static IP to no avail. I've tried every combination of reboots, updates to my router, router firmware, the libreelec versions, static/dhcp, different OS's (Android and Ubuntu), and different ethernet cables. However when the cable is plugged in, the ethernet traffic light comes on and stays on, no blinking. No idea what that means. The network it's plugged into also has other dhcp and static ip devices connected to it which have been working throughout this troubleshooting. I was able to confirm the system can connect to wifi if I plug in a USB wifi adapter and disconnect the cable.

Anyone else have possible solutions or am I correct in thinking something has failed on the odroid ethernet module hardware?

Thanks for your input!
Fluffy

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Re: Wired Network Connectivity Issue

Unread postby mad_ady » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:19 pm

Try running sudo ethtool eth0 and share the result
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Unread postby Fluffy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:32 am

Thanks for the reply!

Connected using a usb wifi adapter with librelec-kodi installed and ethernet cable plugged in.
Attached screenshot. To me it looks like it is functioning but still unable to connect through it.

I appreciate any thoughts you have.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (48.72 KiB) Viewed 368 times
Fluffy

Unread postby Fluffy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:54 am

Ok NEVERMIND... I figured it out. Turns out it didn't have anything to do with the odroid. My typical setup has an ethernet cable going to a switch, then through a few other cables to the router... Found that one of the cables between the switch and router was the issue. The thing that was throwing me was the odroid to switch connection was bringing up the cable connected lights and connection identified in the software... so the switch was masking the issue.
SO it's all fine now. Thanks for your consideration anyway!
Fluffy

Return to Issues