ODROID c2 won't boot

accosk8
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid c2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ODROID c2 won't boot

Post by accosk8 »

Hello, after powering down my odroid c2 (I had to switch off the room's power, and I had done an apt-get upgrade+ dist-upgrade) the odroid won't boot anymore. I was using ubuntu mate 16.04.
The sdcard I'm using is this -> http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memo ... -MP16DA/AM
The PSU I'm using is this -> http://www.amazon.it/Aukru-Universale-C ... B00NSQWKF6

The behaviours the odroid is showing, are different every time:
1. One time it tries to boot (blue led starts blinking), shows an error saying ALERT! cannot find disk uuid=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and says to check root= or rootdelay=, after this, I try to ctrl-alt-del but then the device won't boot anymore. The red led is on, normally.
2. One time it just stays there (blue led not blinking, just on). The red led is on, normally.
3. One time the blue led doesn't even power. The red led is on, normally.

I tried to format my sd card with diskpart (back to exFAT format) and using win32disk-imager I wrote the ubuntu16.04 image again, on the sd card. The write was succesful, but when I tried to verify the image, it says "read back data is different". After this error, I kept on trying to boot on my odroid, but without success, since it gave me the same three behaviours described above.

I tried with another sdcard (class 4 sd card), win32disk-imager wrote successfully the image, but failed again to verify the image. The behaviours shown by the odroid are the same.

I don't think it's an sdcard problem, which leads me to believe something has gone terribly wrong on the odroid.

accosk8

Re: ODROID c2 won't boot

Post by accosk8 »

I'll add that when I get behaviour number 1 this is an error I see on screen:

Code: Select all

sd: card never left busy state
sd: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
Then it goes into:

Begin: Waiting for root file system ... 
and then:

Begin: Running /scripts/local/block ... done.
for a few times then

Gave up waiting for root device.
This is the last message:

ALERT! UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

accosk8

Post by accosk8 »

4th behaviour: I ctrl-alt-del'd whilst in that initramfs shell, it rebooted, did the boot correctly, I saw the ubuntu mate screen for a brief 2 seconds, started to type in the password then shut down itself..

phaseshifter
ODROIDs: U-2,U3+,,XU-3,,XU3-LITE,,XU-4
C1+,,C-2,,,
N-1,,N-2,...other odroid acc`s as well

Post by phaseshifter »

those samsung cards seem to be a bit problmatic i would try with a sandisk if you can

just wipe the sd-card clean with gparted or something similar.
you dont need to format it first.
this could be an issue.
i have never formatted a card ever ...try start with a blank partition-less card
also check that your checksum is correct
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

accosk8

Post by accosk8 »

phaseshifter wrote:those samsung cards seem to be a bit problmatic i would try with a sandisk if you can

just wipe the sd-card clean with gparted or something similar.
you dont need to format it first.
this could be an issue.
i have never formatted a card ever ...try start with a blank partition-less card
also check that your checksum is correct
I tried today with gparted, the sd gave a lot of i/o errors, then I wiped it completely with dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/sdcard bs=1M... I wrote the image with the scripts provided here -> http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 89#p116138 but the md5 hash check doesn't match the one provided with the image... Funny thing is, I tried to use the sd again, gave me the same error, then i rebooted.. for a brief moment i was able to use ubuntu, but then i rebooted it again and it stopped working... im really losing hope here :P

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1

Post by crashoverride »

accosk8 wrote:it says "read back data is different".
accosk8 wrote:the sd gave a lot of i/o error
accosk8 wrote:the md5 hash check doesn't match the one provided with the image
The SD card is bad.

XeoSal
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2 & XU4

Post by XeoSal »

crashoverride wrote: The SD card is bad.
Either this or the card reader/writer is cheap.

phaseshifter
C1+,,C-2,,,

Post by phaseshifter »

never insert or retract the sd-card with the power connected :E.g if the red light is on"...
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1

Post by crashoverride »

XeoSal wrote:Either this or the card reader/writer is cheap.
Using a micro to full size adapter also causes lots of problems.

accosk8

Post by accosk8 »

crashoverride wrote:
XeoSal wrote:Either this or the card reader/writer is cheap.
Using a micro to full size adapter also causes lots of problems.
I used a usb micro sd reader. I bought a recommended one now though... I'll let you all know when I get the new sd card and the usb reader.
Hopefully it is just an sd card problem and I don't have to rma the odroid, that would suck

accosk8

Post by accosk8 »

UPDATE
The new sd card arrived (same model as the old one) and the Transcend Ts-Rdf5K sd card reader.
I flashed the official odroid ubuntu image - and could not verify since it spouts the same error as before (I think your verify has a big problem on samsung sd cards or something).
Anyway I put the sd card inside the odroid and powered it up - nothing happened.. Red led was on, normally, blue led didn't come up.
So I took the power off and flashed it again, and got the same verify error.
Now it boots, but odroid gives the same error as before (bear in mind, the sd card IS NEW OUT OF THE PACKAGE!) so I think my odroid worked until last week thanks to a miracle.
This is the error I get:

http://i.imgur.com/9qcYF7T.jpg

I think I will have to rma the odroid, and I have to say I'm really unpleased with the experience so far.

phaseshifter
C1+,,C-2,,,

Post by phaseshifter »

have you found a img file that matches the md5 checksum..
.i think there is a problem with a missmatch..see if you can download a good copy of the image
that will match up with the checksum..this could be the problem
you have spoken earlier that you did not get a match with the check sum make shure you can verify this point pls

i had a similar issue with my xu4 sometimes booting and some times not ....however i found the sd-card to be at fault..

..i am not familiar with either of you 2 pieces hardware "sd- card and reader....

the sd-card should be at /dev/sda..or sdb ..eg "dd if=ubuntu.img of=/dev/sda bs=4M conv=sync" or "dd if=ubuntu.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M conv=sync"
i take into account that your card is brand new.....but for some reason some sd-cards just do not work..

accosk8

Post by accosk8 »

phaseshifter wrote:have you found a img file that matches the md5 checksum..
.i think there is a problem with a missmatch..see if you can download a good copy of the image
that will match up with the checksum..this could be the problem
you have spoken earlier that you did not get a match with the check sum make shure you can verify this point pls

i had a similar issue with my xu4 sometimes booting and some times not ....however i found the sd-card to be at fault..

..i am not familiar with either of you 2 pieces hardware "sd- card and reader....

the sd-card should be at /dev/sda..or sdb ..eg "dd if=ubuntu.img of=/dev/sda bs=4M conv=sync" or "dd if=ubuntu.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M conv=sync"
i take into account that your card is brand new.....but for some reason some sd-cards just do not work..
Sorry if I seem disrepectful, but I'm really running out of patience with this... I've tried everything and it just doesn't work. Anyway, I caved in and bought a sandisk 8gb class 10 sd card, which is bound to arrive this friday. Now with the transcend sd card reader/writer and the sandisk sd there won't be any more excuses, it has to work... If it doesn't, this board is faulty.

accosk8

Post by accosk8 »

quick update: with the new sd card - I flashed the android image on it and I even verified it succesfully (that means that the ubuntu image provided somehow sucks). This is the output I get:

http://i.imgur.com/TydET1r.jpg

I read a similar topic on the forum and it seems the only solution is RMA the board...
But anyway I'm going to wait until friday for the sandisk sd to come..
Won't be doing good publicity to odroid/hardkernel after this ordeal

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

Okay. We will wait for the test result with your Sandisk card.

gltovar

Post by gltovar »

I was also having the same problem. I've tried flashing the android image to the flash cards on 2 separate cards using the command line linux instructions. They didn't work for me. What ended up working for me was (in ubuntu 14 LT) right clicking the compressed image file and opening it with Disk Image Writer, and restoring the image onto the sd card using that utility. Booted into android with out issue.

accosk8

Post by accosk8 »

The sandisk 8gb class 10 sd card arrived, I flashed the ubuntu image and verified it, but I'm still getting the same sd card errors... Then I flashed the android image and I got the same error as here: http://i.imgur.com/TydET1r.jpg
I'm going to RMA the unit, hopefully I'll get a new one as soon as possible...

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

Please try this latest Android OS image.
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... _note_v1.2

If it doesn't help, please contact "odroid at hardkernel dot com" with a link of this thread.
She will help your RMA process if you purchased the board from us directly.
Otherwise contact your local distributor.

Return to “Issues”