Read-only file system issue

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Read-only file system issue

Unread postby MjODF » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:58 pm

Greeting,
I am new here, and I have a first and big promlem with my Odroid C2
I have eMMC module.
Today I updatet Mate Ubuntu which was ready in eMMC, updatet to Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS.
And after the first reboot C2 will not start.
[ 11.141974 ] systemd [192}. Failed to open serialization file: Read-only file system
and systemd. (sd-executor) failed with exit status 1.
Failed to fully start up daemon: Protocol error
!!!!!! (red) Failed to start up manager, freezing
[ 11.166176 ] systemd [1}: Freezing execution.
And after this C2 will make nothing.

It is very troublesome if I lose my files.

Can anyone help me?

Is it possible to start with sd-card, if I install Ubuntu to it?
And copy my files to usbstick.
Or can I start with some parameter?
MjODF

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Re: Read-only file system issue

Unread postby tobetter » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:17 am

MjODF wrote:Greeting,
I am new here, and I have a first and big promlem with my Odroid C2
I have eMMC module.
Today I updatet Mate Ubuntu which was ready in eMMC, updatet to Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS.
And after the first reboot C2 will not start.
[ 11.141974 ] systemd [192}. Failed to open serialization file: Read-only file system
and systemd. (sd-executor) failed with exit status 1.
Failed to fully start up daemon: Protocol error
!!!!!! (red) Failed to start up manager, freezing
[ 11.166176 ] systemd [1}: Freezing execution.
And after this C2 will make nothing.

It is very troublesome if I lose my files.
Can anyone help me?

Is it possible to start with sd-card, if I install Ubuntu to it?
And copy my files to usbstick.

Do you have Linux desktop around you and eMMC adaptor? If so, you can copy files from eMMC to PC. You can boot from uSD but the problem is when uSD and eMMC are connected together U-boot from eMMC will start always.
tobetter

languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread postby meveric » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:21 am

First of all, you should make sure you post in the correct Forum section. The XU4 and the C2 are two completely different boards, and things that work on one board may not work on the other.
(I corrected that for you by moving your post)
Second, don't Hijack a thread. You're having an issue with your system, which may be related to your eMMC or other things, it has nothing to do with the announcement of a new OS version (Ubuntu 18.04) is available.
It's really hard to follow a thread if suddenly a completely different topic is discussed which is totally unrelated to the original topic of a thread.
Also you make it hard for others to help you as people may simply ignore your question, as the topic you're posting in, was already discussed and they are no longer interested in it, or they are simply not interested in the topic you're posting in.
In fact, I clicked on your post "by accident" and would have normally also marked this thread as read, without looking at it and with that completely missed your question.
(Once again, I corrected this for you by creating a new topic with your question)

That all out of the way:

It seems your filesystem might be damaged and the system can not load correctly, for this the system is started in read-only mode to not further damage the system.
If you have an UART, you probably have access to an initrd environment and could try to do a file-system check to attempt to repair the OS.
If you don't have an UART, you can probably use a eMMC to USB adapter or a SD card reader with the eMMC to microSD Adapter and use a different PC to attempt to do the same (in that case you can also try to backup your data).
If you don't have that either, it becomes harder to help you.
You can try to boot from a new SD card and attach your eMMC later, but this may not work, as the SD-Card and the eMMC share the same UUID and with that the system may not know which system is which, and you probably have to modify the image on the SD card first to use a different UUID to get this scenario to work.

Maybe instead you could try flashing Armbian on the SD card and boot from there, it "may" have a different UUID for the partitions on the SD card than what Ubuntu uses.
But I'm not sure if the eMMC is "hotplug" capable on the C2. If not you can not attach the eMMC later but it needs to be connected when you turn the ODROID on, but in that case the eMMC is the preferred boot device and it would boot from eMMC instead of SD card.
So depending on your options this can be hard.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby MjODF » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:28 am

Very good,
I repeat.
I take off from C2 eMMC and set it to adapter (I have it and I have too Linux Ubuntu PC) and connect and copy.
(I write not good english, but I hope it is possible understand.)

Very nice to get help.
MjODF

Unread postby MjODF » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:13 am

meveric,
I am sorry.
I tried to find the C2 forum, but not.
I am first time here. I hope that I did not cause problems for other users here.

Thank you for your helping answer.
I try to find right ways to discuss here.
MjODF

Unread postby redrocket » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:54 pm

@MjODF try this viewtopic.php?f=141&t=32240 and let us know whether it helped
redrocket

Unread postby MjODF » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:01 am

After advice / tobetter YES,
it was me nearly all files to save.
Some "rootfiles", not so important was not possible to save.

I am very thankful for the advices.

I have now updaetet the eMMc to Ubuntu 18.04 and now I write this with it.
I have to another Odroid C2 128 GB eMMc bought (2018-11-27).
I dont know is there Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04.
MjODF

Return to Issues