ODROID-C2 Boot Failure - Only Red Light Blinking

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

ODROID-C2 Boot Failure - Only Red Light Blinking

Unread postby ivanhawkes » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:26 am

Hi guys, I have two problems - but am pretty much only hopeful for a fix on one of those problems.

The first problem, I had an ODROID-C2 all set up and working with OPENELEC. It was running for a few weeks when it was knocked onto the floor from a couple of feet up. It never started up again. No problem, I bought a replacement, plugged it in using the same power adaptor as the last one used (I need an international adaptor for the power supply since I am in Australia). I immediately smelt the magic smoke escape and that device never booted.

I bought another one, this time swapping out the power adaptor and buying another new power supply. I plugged it in and it was working just fine as an OPENELEC machine for a couple of weeks. At which point I needed to power it down, because the HDMI splitter widget had died. Now, the ODROID-C2 was working fine, AFAIK, prior to the HDMI splitter dying. But now I find, when I go to boot it, it only gets as far as showing a blinking red LED.

I've removed the EMMC card, re-flashed it, tried booting - nothing. Same again, this time putting in an SD card - same - blinking red LED. I've pulled the jumped to allow it to boot from USB but unfortunately, nothing happened. Not sure if that USB power device is dead now, I'll have to check it with some other USB power supply.

So, the big question - what does the flashing LED mean? Is this the third board I've now killed?

Shouldn't there be protection against the power supply burning out the boards? I have two of those now, and it's hard to believe it's all on me when I plugged them in using ODROID supplied power supplies. The international adaptors are basically just an expensive wire in a plastic block, so not sure it could be that. I replaced it just in case having a nominal connection to the power supply might be the cause.

Am I able to RMA the burnt out board(s)? I tossed one in the bin in anger, so not that one - but the latest one(s).

One board just shows a really dimly glowing red LED, solidly on, but barely. I'd say that one is pretty badly burnt out.

What's my move from here? I'm finding it hard to justify spending $80 replacing the board again, when based on past events it seems pretty likely to stop working after a short period of time.

EDIT: I love SBC computers, and the ODROID-C2 is a perfect fit for a media machine, it plays everything perfectly! Is the C2 just a bit fragile though and should I think about using an XU4 instead? Am I better off powering them using USB power supplies, with proper plugs for Australia, rather than the official power supplies with Asian plugs?
ivanhawkes

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID-C1+

Re: ODROID-C2 Boot Failure - Only Red Light Blinking

Unread postby odroid » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:54 pm

If the red LED is blinking always, your power supplier or C2 board could be damaged.

Do you use the micro-USB port for power input? or DC barrel jack?
If you use the DC jack, remove the J1 jumper on the C2.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-c2/getti ... tg_booting
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: ODROID-C2 Boot Failure - Only Red Light Blinking

Unread postby ivanhawkes » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:17 pm

I've been using the DC jack. I did try removing the jumper and trying with a USB board that said it would deliver 2 amps of power, but nothing lit up - so I think it was underpowered. I'll try again when I can get a 2 amp USB power supply.
ivanhawkes

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID-C1+

Return to Issues