reboot hangs

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: reboot hangs

Unread postby odroid » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:29 am

@TPK
Try removing J1 jumper if your PSU is connected to the DC barrel jack on the C2 board.
It will reduce the heat significantly.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-c2/hardw ... wer_enable
It will help to narrow down the root causes.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:37 pm

If there's a problem with the root filesystem (due to heat or other cases) you should see ext4 errors in dmesg and should notice errors when starting programs that are not in the cache.
I worked with an embedded media player (WDTV) a while back, and as part of the suspend procedure it would cut power to the nand. On resume, rootfs would be dead. In order to reboot, I had to rely only on ram cache - which you can try as well:
1. Install busybox
2. At startup, in /etc/rc.local copy /bin/busybox to /tmp
3. When you want to reboot try:
Code: Select all
# /tmp/busybox sync
# /tmp/busybox reboot -f
mad_ady

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Unread postby TPK » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:42 am

@odroid
Yep I removed the J1 jumper per suggestion, although it doesn't seem to make much of a difference in terms of how hot it gets... The unit never got very hot to begin with... Its only job is to run VPN software, and it that hasn't even been put in use until the unit is placed in the field... Once it is booted the CPU never goes above 3%... Anyhow, after doing that it has no effect on the reboot issue...

@mad_ady
Yeah I think I've seen that trick with the busybox on other forum posts about this issue... Anyhow I tried that and it doesn't make a difference (device still hangs on reboot)...

@odroid
I can share with you my installation procedures if you like (I have these documented). Basically I am starting with the image ODROBIAN-Jessie-2.0-vanilla-s905-hybrid.img (I am using the hybrid image because I need the 32 bit compatibility to support SoftEther VPN software)... Then I am upgrading all the packages, etc... Then I am installing things like Webmin (for easy support of the devices in the field) and SoftEther and OpenVPN, etc... Then what happens is if I try to reboot the device, I get the solid red light, etc...

Seems that if the device is somewhat newly powered up (and not warm yet) I can reboot fine... If it has been running for a while and is in the case and gets warm, it does not reboot and hangs instead...
TPK

ODROIDs: C2

Unread postby odroid » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:52 am

Ah~~
Don't use ODROBIAN OS image. The OS image maintainer disappeared over two years ago.
It had a very old kernel and there was no SD reboot bug fix.

Use our Ubuntu image or meveric's great Debian image.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:40 pm

And if you need 32bit support you can always install multiarch. https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch
mad_ady

Unread postby TPK » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:59 am

@odroid
Okay, I guess I didnt realize how out of date that image was. Currently I am trying out the Meveric debian image to start the installation. I am using: Debian-Jessie64-1.1-20170527-C2.img for the odroid C2

I have been able to get webmin installed, and it seems to be working out okay, except now I am stuck where I was before, with the softether..

@mad_ady
Multiarch seems to be installed already (it came with the image). Even so, I am not expert enough to get the Softether VPN compiled under this image, nor can I get it working no matter how much searching I do or what I try or what packages I add or what architectures I add under multiarch (if I am even doing that correctly, I am not sure)... Been sort-of banging my head against the desk for the past 3-4 hours on this one and I am about to give up... This seemed to just work under the hybrid odroidbian image, but I cannot seem to find the secret sauce it was using to allow it to compile..

Actually, it doesnt seem to be compiling it from sources, but instead it just linking binaries together. The Make process errors out when it tries to link in vpnserver.a; it gives the error: error adding symbols: File in wrong format

I have tried all sorts of stuff, including adding in compilation flags to the Makefile based on what I am seeing out there, but its all to no avail..

I know this is probably not the right forum for this, but can you give me any advice on what to try to get this to work??
TPK

Unread postby mad_ady » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:20 pm

The reason it worked in Odrobian was that it was running a 64bit kernel and a 32bit userland. So when you compiled it, it produced a 32bit binary.
To compile and run it with multiarch you either need to tell gcc to compile for 32bits (if it's even possible), or you need to install a 32bit build environment.
Another option is to setup a 32bit lxc and build it there (search for lxc on Odroid Magazine).
If I get some free time I will try it out. Can you point me to the sources/guide you were using?
mad_ady

Unread postby TPK » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:20 am

@mad_ady
Sure...

Thank you for offering to help...

Softether is a (free/open source) VPN package that can be configured and controlled by a GUI client (server manager), which makes it really easy to maintain and use... There is a guide for installation here: https://www.softether.org/4-docs/1-manu ... igurations , but I had to add a few steps (pre-requisites) to make it work ...

These are the steps I was taking to get it to work:

Install SoftEther prerequisites:
apt-get install make libssl-dev gcc

Download SoftEther
http://www.softether-download.com/en.as ... =softether
SoftEther VPN Server
Linux
ARM EABI (32 bit)
Download files (latest one)

Unpack/Build SoftEther
copy SoftEther package from your desktop to the root user folder (I was using webmin file manager to do this)
tar xzvf *vpnserver*
cd vpnserver
make

..... This is where it is failing (invoking make to build the package), probably because it was trying to link in a 32bit library under a 64 bit environment...

Now this isn't really compiling the source code here, instead I guess it is trying to build the package using libraries, etc... I suppose I could make an attempt to build the entire thing from source (I have seen some documentation for that), but that is a whole other can of worms I probably don't want to open...

Other things I have tried were adding a -m32 flag to the compile options (gcc says m32 is not a valid option), and I have attempted to install a the gcc-multilib package (apt-get says that it is not available, but referred to by another package)...

Anyhow, I will keep trying, and if I make a breakthrough with this I will post it here

Thanks again
TPK

Unread postby TPK » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:05 am

@mad_ady
Actually, I am not sure why it didn't occur to me sooner, but I was able to get SoftEther to work simply by copying the fully compiled (linked?) application I made on the old odroidbian hybrid setup, and copying that over to the new OS once it was up and running on the odroid (I think I re-read what you said about a build environment, and it struck me at that point)... Seems sort of simple to me now, although its still a bit "yucky" that I am unable to get it to compile in the new environment. Anyhow, SoftEther seems to be working (at least initially) on the new device, since I can indeed connect to it with the SoftEther server manager, which is what I was going for...

@odroid
Over the past couple of days I have tried out both meveric's image as well as the odroid Ubuntu image. The Meveric image did not have the reboot hanging problem, and the Ubuntu image did (initially).

The kernel version is currently reporting: "Linux 3.14.79-115 on aarch64"... Either the kernal upgrade or that "arm64 Linux Kernel 3.14 Long Term for ODROID-C2" package did overwrite the boot.ini file (I forgot which) and once it did that I found the setenv disableuhs "false" in the boot.ini file... I modified that to read: setenv disableuhs "true" instead, and now it seems that the reboot hang issue is gone.. Hopefully that was more than just a coincidence (that it is working now) and maybe I can get this one deployed into the field and have the ability to reboot it remotely...

So I THINK I have it all working for now. Not sure what it really means to disable UHS like that (perhaps it will boot slower?) but it seems to be working at least...
TPK

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:59 pm

I'm glad to hear you sorted out the vpn program. In the future you can use a 32bit lxc to build future versions of the software.
mad_ady

Previous

Return to Issues