Odroid C2 case

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Odroid C2 case

Unread postby cy1clown » Thu May 18, 2017 12:36 am

Just wanted to comment on the C2 case I bought from ameridroid. I am not happy with the use of the screws to hold the two halves together. Firstly for a piece of equipment that will probably be in and out of the case frequently these screws are a nightmare. Second the quality of the screw is bad, I only inserted and removed them twice and the phillips heads are already stripped out. When inserting the screws the first time it took a lot of torque to get them screwed in right. I think the holes in the top half of the case are too small.
Basically I think someone needs to revisit the specifications of this case. Increase the quality of the screws and increase the hole size slightly.
Thanks
Jon
cy1clown

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: U3
XU4
C2

Re: Odroid C2 case

Unread postby odroid » Thu May 18, 2017 12:08 pm

Thank you for the feedback.
I will collect a few more requests about the case improvement in this forum and forward it to our 3rd party plastic mold factory.
odroid
Site Admin

ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby paulcrawford » Thu May 18, 2017 12:09 pm

You might want to consider this case:

https://www.buyapi.ca/product/highpi-raspberry-pi-case-black/

It is for an rpi3 but I have used it for a C2 for about a year now. There are some minor modifications that I did to make everything fit, but the beauty of it is there are no screws. The top pops off by pressing on a tab and the board itself pops out by pulling on a tab. Very well designed I think.
paulcrawford

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid c2

Unread postby crashoverride » Thu May 18, 2017 1:24 pm

I never bothered with the screws at all. The plastic tabs hold it together without screws. The issue is opening it again! The tabs are difficult to release.

[edit]
I do not know if this still holds true for recent cases. My cases are quite old.
crashoverride

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu May 18, 2017 1:43 pm

I'd like to request an easier access to the emmc slot. The 3.5" case is perfect for this.
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Unread postby odroid » Thu May 18, 2017 3:19 pm

New C2/C1/XU4 cases have a square hole for easier accessing the eMMC module without opening the case.
We've shipped the new cases from the middle of April.

There is a cuttable square area like this drawings.

We have a plan to make a new mold tooling in September.
So we need to gather more ideas by the middle of June because tooling development takes around two months.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu May 18, 2017 3:43 pm

Great. But now the GPIO area is not cuttable anymore :( Regarding GPIO access - you should make the area cuttable in 2-3 slots. Meaning - allowing for small GPIO openings if the user only uses 2-3 GPIO pins (e.g. for a 1 wire sensor).
I like that the design allows for the fan area to be opened. I had to hack for a long time to get room for the big cooler on my C2.
mad_ady

Unread postby crashoverride » Thu May 18, 2017 3:46 pm

I would suggest making the XU4 case top flat like it is for the C1/C2. The slope on a single side makes the device look "unbalanced".
crashoverride

Unread postby odroid » Thu May 18, 2017 3:59 pm

crashoverride wrote:I would suggest making the XU4 case top flat like it is for the C1/C2. The slope on a single side makes the device look "unbalanced".

I fully agree. Sometimes XU4 case looks like a badly designed mouse. :oops:
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby odroid » Thu May 18, 2017 4:04 pm

mad_ady wrote:Great. But now the GPIO area is not cuttable anymore :( Regarding GPIO access - you should make the area cuttable in 2-3 slots. Meaning - allowing for small GPIO openings if the user only uses 2-3 GPIO pins (e.g. for a 1 wire sensor).
I like that the design allows for the fan area to be opened. I had to hack for a long time to get room for the big cooler on my C2.

C1/C2 case is different. It still has a cuttable area for GPIO access.
I will post drawings tomorrow.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby odroid » Thu May 18, 2017 4:13 pm

I found it from this link. http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... 3730080763

Update.
You meant that slice the GPIO cover into 3~4 sections. Right?
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu May 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Yes. So that you could access the first ~6 GPIOs without taking out the whole cover. You should be able to split it in 2-3 detachable sections.
mad_ady

Unread postby odroid » Thu May 18, 2017 4:23 pm

Okay. Well noted. Two sections could be feasible.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby crashoverride » Fri May 19, 2017 4:56 am

It would be better if the holes for GPIO and eMMC were designed so that the pieces could be removed and then put back into place. I am not sure how to achieve that with a single mold. Maybe someone has some suggestions.
crashoverride

Unread postby mscdex » Fri May 19, 2017 5:02 am

crashoverride wrote:The tabs are difficult to release.

^ This! I get the feeling every time I crack the case open that the tabs will only take a few more releases before they completely break. It would really be nice if there was an easier, safer, and more durable way to secure/separate the two halves of the case.
mscdex

ODROIDs: ODROID C2

Unread postby odroid » Fri May 19, 2017 10:50 am

We will consider detachable covers for eMMC and GPIO access.
We keep in mind the concept of an easier, safer, and more durable way to secure/separate the two halves of the case without screws too.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri May 19, 2017 2:40 pm

I got used to the latches being sturdy and I'm no longer worried I will break them.
One more idea - for both C/XU series it would be helpful to have an opening for the serial port.The XU3 case gives easy access to the insides and you can output the serial cable on top of the audio jack. For the C/XU4 cases there is no easy way to having a case and serial cable.

Regarding reattachable clips - see if having a "battery" style cover (like the one on most remote controls) is fesable.
You could build the cases in two flavors:
1. full - like the current cases - for people who don't usually tinker. The cutouts here could be one-time
2. flexible - with replaceable cutouts. For these, to minimize cost you'd ship the case with the cutouts removed (for emmc, serial, etc) and the lids would need to be assembled on first use.
mad_ady

Unread postby samuel412 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:07 pm

Odroid
the cutting hole with the eMMc shape it's not above the eMMc.
odroid c2.
samuel412

Unread postby odroid » Fri May 19, 2017 7:14 pm

Right. The eMMC hole is working with only C1+ not C2. :(
We will improve that.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby mastertheknife » Tue May 23, 2017 3:19 pm

I have the transparent case for the C2, i really like it!
Its not far from perfect, but if we're talking about improvements, here are two major points:
1) The screws take a lot of torque to screw in, at least in the first time. The holes are probably not wide enough.
2) The tabs are a bit difficult to open, but thats not that bad, we can live with it.
3) The emmc cover is mislocated.
At any case, don't remove the screws please. Keep them optional, just like now.
Tabs can break quite easily. I personally prefer screws, but the current case is great, because the screws are optional, and mine arrived with a spare screw (5 screws but only 4 holes) :)
mastertheknife

languages_spoken: english, hebrew
ODROIDs: C2

Unread postby cy1clown » Wed May 24, 2017 3:12 am

I have no problem with the concept of screws in the case. My problem is with the execution. My current case stripped the heads of the screws after only 3 or 4 insertion/removals. This seems mainly due to the high torque required for installation, and possibly low quality metal in the screw. If this problem was solved I wouldn't mind screws.
Thanks
Jon
cy1clown

ODROIDs: U3
XU4
C2

Unread postby Vij007 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:22 am

Hi odroid, we are awaiting from quite long time, compatible case for C2 + hifishield plus. We are very dispointing in this, as such a awesome product without case. Is Hardkernal looking in this area? Amedroid case not impressed at all and international shipping cost also too high. Thanks
Vij007

ODROIDs: Odroid C2

Unread postby dchang0 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:49 pm

There are a few case designs that are common on the RPi that I'd love to see ported over to the ODROID boards, especially because they allow the stacking of multiple "hats" or "shields."

1) laser-cut acrylic panels separated by brass or steel hex standoffs--this approach allows for the stacking of many boards on top of the base SBC, and the cost is usually very low because of the ease of manufacturing

2) multi-ply laser-cut acrylic or 3D-printed layers like the Pimoroni Coupe--this approach allows for the easy installation of usually just one board on top, which often is a display or display with buttons
dchang0

ODROIDs: C1+

Unread postby dchang0 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:01 pm

Regarding the stripped-out screws, I have noticed that my properly-designed Phillips screwdrivers fit the screw properly and make it easy to torque while my cheap "freebie" screwdrivers do not fit the screws properly, and excessive force must be used to push the screwdriver into the screw head, which then makes it even harder to torque out.

By properly-designed I mean any of my good Wiha screwdrivers that are machined precisely to the Phillips specifications.

Note also that there are some screwdrivers that look like Phillips but are actually a different design such as:

Frearson
JIS B 1012
Posidriv

See Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... s#Phillips

Why do I bring these up? Use the wrong drive and it WILL strip out the screw head. I quote from the JIS B 1012 above: "It looks like a Phillips screw, but is designed not to cam out and will therefore be damaged by a Phillips screwdriver if it is too tight." I have run into these other designs a lot in very small screws, especially on Asian-made laptops.

So, not only do you have to be concerned that you're using a poorly-made Phillips, you might be using a screwdriver that looks like a Phillips but actually isn't.

Moral of the story: before twisting too hard and stripping the screw, try different screwdrivers to see which one fits best (you can usually tell with gentle pressure how well the tip fits the screw before you even start trying to turn the screwdriver).
dchang0

ODROIDs: C1+

Return to Issues