8-Bit - 16-Bit Retro Gaming Console Build Tutorial

vbrusca
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Love my ODROID-GO, C1+, C2 and XU4.

8-Bit - 16-Bit Retro Gaming Console Build Tutorial

Unread post by vbrusca » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:51 pm

This build project follows the same general steps as the C1+ build. The C2 has noticeably more power and more than competently runs all the emulators below
Like if you're into retro gaming and you're looking to build or buy something this is a great option it plays soooo many games.

Total Project Cost: $63.50 + Shipping Costs (Does not include all the extra items in the full gaming kit depicted above)
- ODROID-C2: $46.00
- Case: $4.50
- 64GB Micro SD: $10.00
- Buttons and Breadboard Wires: $3.00
** Might cost more if you have to buy a set of buttons and breadboard wires.

Extras: (If you don't have extra of these lying around, some people do)
- HDMI Cable: $1.50 from hardkernel
- Micro USB Cable: $1.00 from hardkernel
- USB Charging Block: $5.00 or so any 5V/2A one will do.
- Controller / Keyboard & Mouse: Tons of options out there, the tutorial will cover controller setup.

Tools Needed: (You can skip the custom control buttons if you want, everything will still work fine, but they are very useful)
- Small screwdriver set, a set for electronics should do it.
- Soldering kit including soldering iron with fine tip and temperature control if possible.
- 2 NO (Naturally Open) console mount (nut screws onto the switch itself) switches.
- 8 Jumper wires, you'll have enough if you order a small set, which brings the project cost up a bit.
- Drill and a good selection of drill bits.

Features:
- ODROID Goodness!
- Custom Software Control Button
- Custom Hardware Reset
- Support for Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari Lynx, ColecoVision, MSX-1, MSX-2, NES, GameBoy, GameBoy Color, Virtual Boy, SNES, GameBoy Advance, WonderSwan Pocket/Color, NEO GEO Pocket/Color, Sega SG-1000, Sega Mark 3, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Sega GameGear, NEC Turbo Graphics 16, and NEC Super Graphics emulators configured and ready to go.
- Retroarch with XBM, custom scripts to monitor the software button, start retroarch, maintain antimicro.
- Configured for low memory usage and for use with included controller.
- Full linux desktop environment when not in game kiosk mode via antimicro.

Software Button Functions:
- 02 Second Hold: Software reset
- 04 Second Hold: Software shutdown
- 06 Second Hold: Turn off game kiosk mode.
- 08 Second Hold: Set video to auto for VGA mode, possibly alter retroarch.cfg for USB audio if present.
- 10 Second Hold: Set video mode to 720p, alter retroarch.cfg for HDMI audio.

I've found that auto mode is great for monitors. For TVs 720p is perfect, and the games look great at that resolution.
You could bump it up to 1080p but with these 8bit and 16bit titles you really aren't getting much more visually.
Build tutorial coming soon will overlap with the C1+ tutorial. Will include hardware setup, OS setup, configuration, optimization, scripts etc.
Last edited by vbrusca on Tue May 07, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vbrusca

Re: 8-Bit - 16-Bit Retro Gaming Console

Unread post by vbrusca » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:39 am

Work in progress, will have everything on the hardware side up later today. Software side coming soon.

http://middlemind.com/tutorials/odroid_ ... build.html

vbrusca

Unread post by vbrusca » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:40 am

Alrighty the software tutorial is up and almost done.
I have one section left to finish which is the final configuration of RetroArch, antimicro, and the custom control button.
This is designed to work with the hardware tutorial and is almost the same exact process for the C1+ and the C2.
There are some C1+ caveats I have to double check, partition resizing, I forget if the image auto resized. And one QT install for antimicro which I know
is a QT4 install but C2 uses QT5. I'll update it once I double check the process again.

Retroarch installed and running, not quite configured yet.

Antimicro compiled and running, not quite configured yet.

http://middlemind.net/tutorials/odroid_ ... ld_sw.html

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:10 pm

vbrusca wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:40 am
And one QT install for antimicro which I know is a QT4 install but C2 uses QT5. I'll update it once I double check the process again.
Antimicro should run on QT5 since 2015 I've been using it for years and it's running on QT5 since version 2.13 for me.
On your last screenshot it looks like it's running on OpenGL (Qt4), as it doesn't use any graphics it's fine, but it runs perfectly fine on Qt5 and OpenGL ES.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
vbrusca (Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:55 am)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

vbrusca

Unread post by vbrusca » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:32 pm

Ok cool yeah I forgot if there was a difference, bit of a blur now LOL. Thanks for the info though! Been working on this latest tutorial for like 10 hours.
Back at it though antimicro configuration and retroarch config up next with detailed steps. Thanks again for the info!!

vbrusca

Unread post by vbrusca » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:47 pm

OK so a complete software tutorial is up going through every single step and command in detail and it'll get you all the way to loading ROMS and playing them.
The 3rd tutorial will be a shorter one and that's where we'll put a bow on everything. It'll cover kiosk mode, custom control button, boot.ini stuff, advanced retroarch stuff, emulator errata etc.

vbrusca

Unread post by vbrusca » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:09 am

The Final Touches tutorial is about 90% done. Have to do a little write up on boot.in and memory for C1+ and C2 but that shouldn't take long.
Custom control button tests in action, connecting Linux to the hardware button we created in the first tutorial, so awesome!!

RetroArch kiosk mode in action, fully configured retro gaming console.

vbrusca

Unread post by vbrusca » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:16 am

Going to do a 4th little write up on advanced retroarch stuff like bios files, using two msx emulators to run ColecoVision and MSX side by side without having to change the emulator options, changing emulator options, etc.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:04 am

vbrusca wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:16 am
Going to do a 4th little write up on advanced retroarch stuff like bios files, using two msx emulators to run ColecoVision and MSX side by side without having to change the emulator options, changing emulator options, etc.
I think if you use bluemsx this works out of the box. bluemsx libretro core has a "auto" mode for what system you want to use, and it auto-detects if you run an MSX or ColecoVison game.
It's quite handy.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
vbrusca (Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:55 am)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

vbrusca

Unread post by vbrusca » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:05 am

Oooh I'll have to check that out. Yeah I didn't know about that option and sort of split the two MSX emulators piping one to CV and one to MSX 1, 2.
Thanks for the info!!

vbrusca

Unread post by vbrusca » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:39 pm

Third tutorial is up and done. Wraps up everything nicely and demos one of my old NES games in HDMI 720p and VGA 1024x768.
Final image in the tutorial is using the custom control button to switch to HDMI mode and testing a game on a TV.

vbrusca

Re: 8-Bit - 16-Bit Retro Gaming Console Build Tutorial

Unread post by vbrusca » Tue May 14, 2019 9:53 am

Finishing up a version of this for the XU4 device. Afterwards going to try to create a tie in tutorial that goes over emulator setup, retroarch config, controller mappings, advanced stuff along those lines with retroarch settings and suggestions for the C1, C2, and XU4 versions of the hardware and for as many emulators as I can get running.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Tue May 14, 2019 9:57 am

Nice to hear you make another version for the XU4. :)

vbrusca

Unread post by vbrusca » Fri May 17, 2019 9:09 pm

LOL, yeah I'm kind of on a retro gaming streak these days. The XU4 version is like amazing, it plays soooo many games and emulates a bunch of systems really well.
I'll also have an XU4 Lakka detailed build tutorial up in a few weeks, turns out Lakka runs a lot better on the XU4 and can run even more emulators.

vbrusca

Unread post by vbrusca » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:11 am

A tutorial that covers advanced retro configuration settings, default emulator choices, etc for Monku R2 (ODROID-C2) devices.

http://middlemind.net/tutorials/odroid_ ... v_cfg.html

Return to “Projects”