For solving overscan problems

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

For solving overscan problems

Unread postby RolandE » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:47 pm

Hi,
I'm relatively new to Odroid with Ubuntu. Originally I used a Raspberry Pi and my displays worked without problems but with Ubuntu and Armbian I saw overscan problems.
In the viewtopic.php?f=136&t=32748 I got the suggestions to fix my overscan problems. For Odroid-c2 I was suggested to adapt the c2_init.sh and create a new uInitrd.
My ideas was to adapt c2_init.sh that it e.g. reads a special config file with e.g. two lines
disable_overscan=true
overscan_frame=50
The disable_overscan can use true or false and then use the oversca_frame and write the correct values to
/sys/class/graphics/fb0/window_axis
/sys/class/graphics/fb0/free_scale
Unfortunately I'm still struggling with uInitrd but for a bit more experienced linux user or the hardkernel ubuntu developers it should be and easy task to offer this to ubunto for Odroid or Arbian developers for their linux. It would really be convenient and a nice to have.
What do you think?
Kind regards,
Roland
RolandE

languages_spoken: english, deutsch
ODROIDs: Odroid-C2, Odroid Xu4q

Re: For solving overscan problems

Unread postby meveric » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:48 pm

please take closer attention on what forum you post your questions.
There is a difference between ODROID-XU3/XU4/MC1/HC1/HC2 and ODROID-C2 Forum
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby RolandE » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:55 pm

meveric wrote:please take closer attention on what forum you post your questions.
There is a difference between ODROID-XU3/XU4/MC1/HC1/HC2 and ODROID-C2 Forum

Thank you. Of course I know that there is a difference but I see the overscan for both of my Ondoids C2 and Xu4q.
So I assume it's a generel problem for Ondroids running Ubuntu from hardkernel. That's the reaso why I wrote it here.
The script names will be different but solving it for the c2_init.sh will be similar to a c1_init.sh...
By the way. I even saw this ovescan problem on Armbian on Odroid C2.
I think it's an easy task for a person who prepare the Armbian and Ubuntu distribution for Odroids. It can be tested even with monitors without overscan problem and would be very helpful for people that have problems with overscan on their monitor.
Kind regards,
Roland
RolandE

Unread postby meveric » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:42 am

RolandE wrote:So I assume it's a generel problem for Ondroids running Ubuntu from hardkernel.

The image itself (Ubuntu from HardKernel, or any other Image for ODROIDs) has nothing to do with it, the same issues happens on every other image.
In fact it's not an error from the ODROIDs, but an issue with your TV, although you might feel it's otherwise.
Most TV cause the overscan themselves, luckily most TVs also have an option to revert this issue.. called "Just Scan" or "Just Fit" or "PC mode" or whatever.
There are some boards, that can HELP the TV to address the overscan by intentionally create a smaller picture, as the TV is cutting of the edges.

RolandE wrote:The script names will be different but solving it for the c2_init.sh will be similar to a c1_init.sh...

C2 and C1 maybe, but there is no such thing for the XU4, the XU4 can not manipulate the drawing of the screen it will assume the TV knows what 1920x1080 means and not that it has to create a picture that is only 1860x1020 or something like that.

RolandE wrote:By the way. I even saw this ovescan problem on Armbian on Odroid C2.

as I already said, this has nothing to do with the image or OS that you use.
Your TV is the problem.
The OS might only be able to help you solve the issue your TV is having, but that depends on what board you use.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby RolandE » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:12 am

Hi,
thank you for your explanation. I see that it's a problem of my TV monitor and it depends on the Odroid if there is an easy solution or not. My TV is a Sony KDL 26S2010.
It has a PC display connect but unfortunately it's a VGA connect on the TV side. I guess it's not working to just use a HDMI to VGA coverter cable.
The overscan in this TV is really stupid.
OK then my solution works only for the C2. Nevertheless maybe my script idea could be used for the C2 images.
Kind regards,
Roland
RolandE

Unread postby meveric » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:38 am

I think the correct location would be the "boot.ini" file for the settings, same as the video settings can already be adjusted in the boot.ini as is.
The c2_init.sh script can read the values of /proc/cmdline (which it already does) which come from the boot.ini anyway.
And can then adjust screen as wanted.

If you use one of the many "official" images (Ubuntu, Debian, DietPie, etc.), you don't need to worry about uInitrd at all. The moment you update initramfs the uInitrd is created automatically:
Code: Select all
update-initramfs -u -k all
meveric

Unread postby RolandE » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:04 am

Hi,
thank you very much. I have the official version Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (output of /etc/issue)

uname -a
=>
Linux odroid 3.16.60-27 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Oct 23 10:37:33 -03 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Now I tried out

root@odroid:/boot# update-initramfs -u -k all
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.16.60-27
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.16.57-20
WARNING: missing /lib/modules/3.16.57-20
Ensure all necessary drivers are built into the linux image!
depmod: ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/3.16.57-20: No such file or directory
depmod: FATAL: could not search modules: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_ONKkDY/lib/modules/3.16.57-20/modules.order: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_ONKkDY/lib/modules/3.16.57-20/modules.builtin: No such file or directory
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.16.57-19
WARNING: missing /lib/modules/3.16.57-19
depmod: ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/3.16.57-19: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_0ggb96/lib/modules/3.16.57-19/modules.order: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_0ggb96/lib/modules/3.16.57-19/modules.builtin: No such file or directory
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.16.56-17
WARNING: missing /lib/modules/3.16.56-17
depmod: ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/3.16.56-17: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_DaLIyt/lib/modules/3.16.56-17/modules.order: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_DaLIyt/lib/modules/3.16.56-17/modules.builtin: No such file or directory
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.16.56-16
WARNING: missing /lib/modules/3.16.56-16
depmod: ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/3.16.56-16: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_Kcbxdp/lib/modules/3.16.56-16/modules.order: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_Kcbxdp/lib/modules/3.16.56-16/modules.builtin: No such file or directory
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.14.79-108
WARNING: missing /lib/modules/3.14.79-108
depmod: ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/3.14.79-108: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_yhydFb/lib/modules/3.14.79-108/modules.order: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_yhydFb/lib/modules/3.14.79-108/modules.builtin: No such file or directory
root@odroid:/boot# cd /boot
root@odroid:/boot# ls -ltr
total 94092
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    23772 Oct 23 13:39 meson64_odroidc2.dts
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    29995 Oct 23 13:39 meson64_odroidc2.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 13605608 Oct 23 13:39 Image
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root     4096 Nov 18 10:13 backup
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11516412 Nov 24 11:06 uInitrd-3.16.60-27
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11516412 Nov 24 11:09 uInitrd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11516234 Nov 24 21:52 initrd.img-3.16.60-27
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  9622442 Nov 24 21:52 initrd.img-3.16.57-20
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  9622692 Nov 24 21:53 initrd.img-3.16.57-19
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  9622365 Nov 24 21:53 initrd.img-3.16.56-17
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  9622716 Nov 24 21:53 initrd.img-3.16.56-16
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  9622121 Nov 24 21:53 initrd.img-3.14.79-108
root@odroid:/boot#

As module directory only /lib/modules/3.16.60-27 is available.
Now it generated even the old initrd.img but I don't see the generated uInitrd. The only uInitrd that are there are the old one I generated.

For testing I booted Armbian from the microSD card. The funny thing is that even on the Odroid C2 there is no /sys/class/graphics/fb0/window_axis
available.

Everthing is more complicate than I hoped.
Kind regards,
Roland
RolandE

Unread postby meveric » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:16 am

I don't know how Armbian works, I doubt they use the same Kernel and drivers as other images do.
Armbian is mainly focused on getting the board to work with "latest Kernel". I don't think they care much about Desktop or other things as long as the board boots and you can ssh into it.

Official supported Kernels are 3.14 and 3.16, if you are on any other Kernel, there is no guarantee the board will have everything that is needed to run your overscan fixes.

Apparently HardKernel is messing around with the Kernel a lot, I saw some Kernel related issues on the XU4 forum as well.
I don't think their "linux-odroid-XXX" is working as they think it should.
All these errors about missing modules and such is not good and that wasn't the case earlier.

If you are not "bound" to Ubuntu, I suggest using Debian Stretch or DietPi (based on Debian Stretch) Kernel and initramfs/uInitrd should work there exactly as I described it.

But you might encounter other issues, depending on your usecase for the board.
meveric

Unread postby RolandE » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:54 pm

You are right with what you write about Armbian. They use kernel 4.18. I was able to use startx but I was not able to use sound... I'm not bound on Ubuntu. My usecase is a small PC replacement that allows acces by my friend and me (multi user), allows easy webbrowsing, showing online videos on TV, using Libre Office, do a little bit programming.
It's a pity that Ubuntu has a bit problems. Most things I want work in Ubuntu from Hardkernel. Odroid-C2 is a really powerful computer that consumes only little energy.
Are the Hardkernel Ubuntu "developer" avialable for questions here in the forum e.g with the uInitrd thing?
It's probably a small thing to get things I want working.
Kind regards,
Roland
RolandE

Unread postby RolandE » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:00 pm

RolandE wrote:You are right with what you write about Armbian. They use kernel 4.18. I was able to use startx but I was not able to use sound... I'm not bound on Ubuntu. My usecase is a small PC replacement that allows acces by my friend and me (multi user), allows easy webbrowsing, showing online videos on TV, using Libre Office, do a little bit programming.
It's a pity that Ubuntu has a bit problems. Most things I want work in Ubuntu from Hardkernel. Odroid-C2 is a really powerful small computer that consumes only little energy. I like it.
Are the Hardkernel Ubuntu "developer" avialable for questions here in the forum e.g with the uInitrd thing?
It's probably a small thing to get things I want working.
Kind regards,
Roland
RolandE

Unread postby rooted » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:18 pm

meveric is one of the more knowledgeable people when it comes to desktop on odroids, it's just he runs and supports Debian instead of Ubuntu and less so on the C2 than the XU4.

There are Hardkernel developers on the forum reading and answering posts. I think they are just busy with N2 and H2 development currently.
rooted

languages_spoken: english

Unread postby meveric » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:10 pm

RolandE wrote:I'm not bound on Ubuntu.

Then you might want to try Debian Stretch instead.
RolandE wrote:My usecase is a small PC replacement that allows acces by my friend and me (multi user), allows easy webbrowsing, showing online videos on TV, using Libre Office, do a little bit programming.

I'm currently not sure about the videos on TV part. I think there's an issue in Kodi, that causes hardware decoding not to work on my side.
I haven't had much time to look into it yet. The video starts, hardware decoder is loading and plays the video, but the resulting output is just a black screen (not sure why)
It works with software decoding though.
RolandE wrote:It's a pity that Ubuntu has a bit problems. Most things I want work in Ubuntu from Hardkernel.

Ubuntu and Debian are really close, in fact Ubuntu was made out of Debian, all the commands are the same, and nearly all the programs are the same as well.
If you know how to work Ubuntu, you know how to work Debian.

RolandE wrote:Odroid-C2 is a really powerful computer that consumes only little energy.

Your use-case is fine I guess, altough I would take the more powerful XU4, especially when it comes to programming, and Libre Office and such.
Still the C2 should be up to the task.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:39 am

I just got around to fix the bug with Kodi, so you're good on the TV/Video part on the C2 as well now under Debian Stretch.
meveric

Unread postby RolandE » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:56 pm

rooted wrote:meveric is one of the more knowledgeable people when it comes to desktop on odroids, it's just he runs and supports Debian instead of Ubuntu and less so on the C2 than the XU4.

There are Hardkernel developers on the forum reading and answering posts. I think they are just busy with N2 and H2 development currently.

Thank you for your answer. That sounds interesting and maybe I can get my C2 up with Debian with Meverics help or when the Hardkernel developers have more time, thank they hopefully could help me with Ubuntu.
Kind regards,
Roland
RolandE

Unread postby RolandE » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi Meveric,
thank you for your answer. I have not used Kodi so far. I just used the Chromium browser for watching internet movies and TV over internet and as far as I tried it both C2 and Xu4q are able show the videos in Chromium very well in ubuntu. Xu4 is more powerful but as far I saw on Ubuntu the C2 works fine, too. What I like for the C2 is the low power consumption and that it's still fast enough. I'm now really curious to try out Debian stretch and will test it. How is the hardware support of Debian stretch for Odroid-C2? Does it support sound over HDMI? That would be great. :)
I like to use Linux so in general if the hardware support (sound, graphics, usb wlan) works as good as the Hardkernel Ubuntu and maybe better support for the uInitrd then I will be fine with Debian.
Which Debian image would you suggest to use?
Kind regards,
Roland
RolandE

Unread postby meveric » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:23 am

RolandE wrote:Hi Meveric,
thank you for your answer. I have not used Kodi so far. I just used the Chromium browser for watching internet movies and TV over internet and as far as I tried it both C2 and Xu4q are able show the videos in Chromium very well in ubuntu.

Works fine under Debian as well.
RolandE wrote:How is the hardware support of Debian stretch for Odroid-C2? Does it support sound over HDMI? That would be great. :)

By default it does (same as Ubuntu does), that's how I use it normally.

RolandE wrote:I like to use Linux so in general if the hardware support (sound, graphics, usb wlan) works as good as the Hardkernel Ubuntu and maybe better support for the uInitrd then I will be fine with Debian.

As the driver support mainly comes from the Kernel itself and Ubuntu and Debian (kinda) share the same Kernel, everything that works under Ubuntu should work under Debian as well, and probably more, as I activate more drivers, and also offer additional drivers for installation via DKMS modules.

RolandE wrote:Which Debian image would you suggest to use?

I support Debian Stretch, so that is best choice if you want me to help you through things.
But DietPi is also very good and based on my image, so I can probably support as well plus you can ask the DietPi community as well.
meveric

Unread postby RolandE » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:33 am

meveric wrote:
RolandE wrote:Which Debian image would you suggest to use?

I support Debian Stretch, so that is best choice if you want me to help you through things.
But DietPi is also very good and based on my image, so I can probably support as well plus you can ask the DietPi community as well.

Super. Thank you very much Meveric. I will try out Debian and see how far I get. :-)
Thank you for your support.
Best regards,
Roland
RolandE

Unread postby RolandE » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:47 pm

Hi Meveric,
yesterday I was able to install Debian on my Odroid C2. I will open another thread for my experience with the installation and maybe later on, too.
What's nice, I was able to install it after work and I was able to have X11, network and openssh already running. :-) I can now login with ssh and locally.
For the overscan issues I have not tried to do anything.
Kind regards,
Roland
RolandE

Unread postby RolandE » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:05 am

Hi Meveric,
I could fix my overscan problem on Debian. In the file /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/c2_init.sh I changed the function common_display_setup()

common_display_setup() {
        M="0 0 $(($X - 1)) $(($Y - 1))"
        Y_VIRT=$(($Y * 2))
        fbset -fb /dev/fb0 -g $X $Y $X $Y_VIRT $bpp
        echo $mode > /sys/class/display/mode
        echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/free_scale
        echo 1 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/freescale_mode
        echo $M > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/free_scale_axis
        # change for override with a frame of 50 pixel
        # echo $M > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/window_axis
        echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fb1/free_scale
        echo 1 > /sys/class/graphics/fb1/freescale_mode
        FRAME_SIZE=60
        NEW_M="$FRAME_SIZE $FRAME_SIZE $(($X - 1 -$FRAME_SIZE)) $(($Y - 1 - $FRAME_SIZE))"
        echo $NEW_M > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/window_axis
        echo 0x10001 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/free_scale
}

For the resolution 1920x1080 that works for me.

As user root I called
update-initramfs -u -k all

The output was:
ln: failed to create hard link '/boot/initrd.img-3.16.60+.dpkg-bak' => '/boot/initrd.img-3.16.60+': Operation not permitted
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.16.60+
Image Name: uInitrd
Created: Thu Dec 6 20:37:19 2018
Image Type: AArch64 Linux RAMDisk Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 5522094 Bytes = 5392.67 kB = 5.27 MB
Load Address: 00000000
Entry Point: 00000000
ln: failed to create hard link '/boot/initrd.img-3.14.79+.dpkg-bak' => '/boot/initrd.img-3.14.79+': Operation not permitted
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.14.79+
Image Name: uInitrd
Created: Thu Dec 6 20:37:30 2018
Image Type: AArch64 Linux RAMDisk Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 5522124 Bytes = 5392.70 kB = 5.27 MB
Load Address: 00000000
Entry Point: 00000000

Creating the links failed but creating of the initrd and uInitrd files worked and after booting thw overscan problem was gone :-)
So this part works better in Debian on Odroid-C2.

So maybe I can continue to add two lines in a ini file like
disable_overscan=1
overscan_border=60

Some short remarks. During installation I could not use my usb wifi. I had to use the lan cable. The nice thing is that the lan worked out of the box and everytime my odroid-c2 starts with Debian I can reach my odroid-c2 over ssh. Probably there is something similar for enabling the wireless usb adapter?

For using putty ssh to odroid and using the vim at first I could not paste text into the vim via ssh. So I had to set the clipboard to unamed:
echo set clipboard=unnamed >> ~/.vimrc

After having installed the defaulr window manager I was logged in automatically as user odroid. How do I enable a login with username and password?
(For a muktiuser system like linux I would prefer this as standard ;-) )
What do I have to do to change to command line login?
Should I open a new Debian stretch thread to ask this questions or should I ask my questions and write my experience in the Debian Stretch thread https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=27449?
Kind regards,
Roland
RolandE

Unread postby meveric » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:06 am

RolandE wrote:Creating the links failed but creating of the initrd and uInitrd files worked and after booting thw overscan problem was gone :-)
So this part works better in Debian on Odroid-C2.

The OS can't create the link due to the fact that boot is a fat32 partition which does not support links, but as you already found out you can ignore that.
Glad it's working for you.

RolandE wrote:So maybe I can continue to add two lines in a ini file like
disable_overscan=1
overscan_border=60

As suggested before, put it in the boot.ini, the values of this can be read from the c2_init script :)

RolandE wrote:Some short remarks. During installation I could not use my usb wifi. I had to use the lan cable. The nice thing is that the lan worked out of the box and everytime my odroid-c2 starts with Debian I can reach my odroid-c2 over ssh. Probably there is something similar for enabling the wireless usb adapter?

LAN is easy, you simply use DHCP on the adapter, WLAN that's not that easy, you normally need a password and such for this.
Still the tools should be pre-installed (wpa-supplicant) and you should be able to configure WLAN from terminal even on first boot without LAN adapter, but yeah using cable is much easier especially on the first setup.

RolandE wrote:After having installed the defaulr window manager I was logged in automatically as user odroid. How do I enable a login with username and password?
(For a muktiuser system like linux I would prefer this as standard ;-) )

This is NOT done automatically, and the default is NOT to logon with a user without password.
If you used setup-odroid, it actually ASKS you when you created a new user account (odroid) IF you want to use AUTOLOGIN or not.
You actually have to answer the question with YES for this to happen ;)
So you chose that, it's not automatically done.. ;)
Anyway.. check /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf here you will find a line autologin-user=odroid outcomment the line and it will no longer login without password.

RolandE wrote:What do I have to do to change to command line login?

Not quite sure what you mean. You can switch to console by pressing CTRL + ALT + F1-F6.
Or what exactly do you mean?

RolandE wrote:Should I open a new Debian stretch thread to ask this questions or should I ask my questions and write my experience in the Debian Stretch thread https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=27449?
Kind regards,
Roland

You can write it in the Debian Stretch thread, as long as it's related to the image.
meveric

Unread postby RolandE » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:16 am

Hi Meveric,
thank you very much for your answer. I will try to add the lines in boot.ini an will adapt the function to read the parameters from it.

For Wifi/Wlan I compare it with Raspbian and Ubuntu. They allow in Windomanager to click on the Wifi symbol. Then every Wifi router, which is close enough, is shown. Then the security key can be entered like neede for a smartphone. I will read how to configure the wlan with wpa-supplicant. Thank you. :-)

Hmm, for the autologin it accidently happened. Maybe I haven't read the whole question as my overscan problem was still there when I installed X11...
It's good that the autologin is not the default. :-)
I outcommented the line
autologin-user=odroid

Sometimes it is nice to just login to the console without havin the X11 system and window manager running to have the maximum RAM available.
Does Ctrl+Alt+ F1 ... F6 work on Debian?

Kind regards,
Roland
RolandE

Unread postby meveric » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:54 pm

RolandE wrote:Sometimes it is nice to just login to the console without havin the X11 system and window manager running to have the maximum RAM available.
Does Ctrl+Alt+ F1 ... F6 work on Debian?

Nope but you can use the commands you used earlier in a similar thread (viewtopic.php?p=238119#p238119):
Disable X11:
systemctl set-default multi-user.target

Enable X11:
systemctl set-default graphical.target
meveric

Unread postby RolandE » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:02 pm

meveric wrote:Nope but you can use the commands you used earlier in a similar thread (viewtopic.php?p=238119#p238119):
Disable X11:
systemctl set-default multi-user.target

Enable X11:
systemctl set-default graphical.target

Super, thanks. So it's really like in Ubuntu. :-) I already thought about checking it out but as some things are different ...
RolandE

Unread postby RolandE » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:44 am

Hi,
I want to write an update for ubuntu. I ran there the apt update and apt upgrade commands and it seemed to created new uInitrd with my changes. So the overscan problems are gone, there too.
Currently whe booting the other system (Debian or Ubuntu) I have to take out the microSD card or the eMMC card. Is there a possibility to let both cards in the Odroid C2 and have the possibility to "mulitiboot" the different installations?
Kind regards,
Roland
RolandE

Unread postby meveric » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:07 am

RolandE wrote:Is there a possibility to let both cards in the Odroid C2 and have the possibility to "mulitiboot" the different installations?
Kind regards,
Roland

Nope sadly there is not (at least not the way you want it).
For two reasons:
First issue:
The UUID of the rootfs from Ubuntu and the rootfs from Debian are identical, and the system would not know which system to boot from, as both are "the same" from a boot loader point of view.
This could be altered, by changing the UUID of the rootfs on one of the system and alter the boot.ini and fstab of that system to use the new UUID, BUT that brings me to the
Second issue:
If you have both SD and eMMC attached at the same time, the eMMC will always be preferred and booted from. Since you have no boot select switch on the C2, you can not tell the system to boot from SD or eMMC, it will always boot eMMC.
meveric

Unread postby RolandE » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:16 am

Thank you Meveric!
OK. No big problem, than I have change the cards when booting another system.
Kind regards,
Roland
RolandE

Return to Projects