Multiplayer Cross-Platform Game for SBCs

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Multiplayer Cross-Platform Game for SBCs

Unread postby swiftmas » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:07 am

Started a project making an in depth game on a 64x64 pixel canvas. I realize how overdone pixel art is at this point but the intent was to make a game that required so few resources it could be played on anything(target platform was 1ghz, 512 ram machine.). That said I didn't want to sacrifice mechanics. I currently have an open world game running via server that can support up to eight players. Currently engineering combat to be a lot like diablo where players have three weapon slots with different abilities and have a swath of random and often surprising weapons/spells to be found throughout the game. Working on flushing out the mechanics and level design so I can start on implimenting the storyline and other aspects.

Let me know if anyone is interested. looking for a place to log work on this and possibly get some help testing.
Last edited by swiftmas on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
swiftmas

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: c2

Re: Multiplayer Arm Based Game

Unread postby crashoverride » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:07 am

What language (C, C++, Python, etc) is it written in? Why 64x64? Is there a reason 320x240 would not be suitable?
crashoverride

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby meveric » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:17 am

I also think 64x64 is extremely low, unless you want to run it on a printer display or something.
1Ghz 512MB RAM? That should be able to handle a ton more resolution.
Considering that you can run emulators in 1920x1080 on lower spec SoCs nowadays even without hardware acceleration.
Still I'm also interested in this project and wouldn't mind packaging it for ODROIDs or other boards.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby swiftmas » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:17 am

The original project was to be run on a 64x64 pixel matrix but I gave up on that idea very quickly after starting. I miss-spoke in my post though, I have upped it to 128x128 just recently in order to get legible text but hadn't gone much further out of hesitation to make the game files much larger. The game was inspired by the pico 8 stuff (also 128x128) and I wanted to be able to create something that was similar but allowed for multiplayer. I've been building it using nodejs and Electron, making sure to keep it running smoothly on small arm boards as well as suitable for any other platform. I should have said this was cross platform, not specifically arm based, I will update my title. Most of the multiplayer testing has been done with my odroid laptop, a pocketchip, and a phone. So far seems to work with a steady frame rate even when hosted publicly. Only tested with 4 players total but I assume it could work for more than that. Any more than four and I would imagine you would need a heftier server, the client is very lightweight.

My goal for this week is to finish creating a good base of weapon types and a starting area for testing combat with others. I just finished a looting system and am just adding some more polish to the interactions so I can start ironing out movement, attack speeds, and how fighting as a team would work.
swiftmas

Re: Multiplayer Cross-Platform Game for SBCs

Unread postby swiftmas » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:47 am

Got combat moving forward at a good clip and now flushing out the inventory system and support systems for regaining health and mana.

swiftmas

Unread postby crashoverride » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:59 am

Are there any plans to open source this in the future?
crashoverride

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby swiftmas » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:48 am

Yep, code is here:
https://github.com/swiftmas/mp-socketio-node

not very pretty yet, lots of work to do. but if you wanna contribute feel fee to let me know.
Built on vanilla nodejs + socket.io. Been building up a game framework from there. haven't run into a ton of issues yet.

Today was actully pretty cool, built an odroid laptop a while back and brought it in to test with some co-workers over lunch. I played and hosted it from the c2 and we had about 8 people playing with no latency issues. first real stress test i've had of this. seems very promising from a load standpoint, especially for not running it on a very fast processor.
swiftmas

Return to Projects